Aussie Bands...

AuthorMessage
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 02:57am
Prisoner Of Society:
Jules:

When I say we only have a few well known bands, I mean bands that the entire of Australia know.
You'll find that most Aussies who are into mainstream music would only know Grinspoon, Wolfmother and TLE.
Oh, and maybe The Veronicas.

I know that's the case with most people I know into mainstream music.
Oh bullshit.
Smash Hits magazine- yeah, that magazine that markets the veronicas like they're hot lusty sex- are telling their readers to check Grinspoon out if they like 'rock' music.
Yet more people have heard of them than the veronicas.

And you don't know Silverchair, You Am I, AC/DC, Midnight Oil, The Easybeats, Spiderbait, Kisschasy, Jet and The Vines?
Bands who have hit it big overseas?

And isn't this whole topic about little bands who 'probably aren't popular enough for an own thread'?
You're contradicting yourself.

Seriously, re-read what you just wrote.
See the parts I have put in bold?
Those are the parts YOU DON'T GET.
I have constantly used MOST AUSSIES/MOST PEOPLE. Not THE ENTIRE OF AUSTRALIA, or ALL AUSTRALIANS. I'm basing this on people I know. People you know are probably into VERY DIFFERENT bands, considering we aren't all clones.
About the whole Grinspoon/Veronicas thing: You have said that most people have heard of Grinspoon over the Veronicas. Well I said, "...would only know Grinspoon... and MAYBE THE VERONICAS."
Does that imply to you that The Veronicas are more popular than Grinspoon? Or vice versa...?
So what you're saying and what I'm saying - are they or are they not more or likey the same?

And of course I know bands such as Silverchair etc.
I know them; but doesn't mean I like all of them.
I understand that all those bands have influenced the Aussie music industry in some way or another, and I give them complete recognition for it. But in total honesty, I don't listen to Silverchair, no matter how popular they are. Because I don't like that style of music.

This thread was made for Aussie bands in general. And considering you'll find that MOST (see, that word again, most, meaning not ALL) people on INO aren't Australian (though there are a huge amount).
So a thread dedicated purely to the band of say, Mere Theory, isn't going to get 200 pages worth of talk.
That's why I made this thread; to talk about Aussie bands - MAINSTREAM OR NOT.
Money's A Language.
Joining The Black Parade
Money's A Language.
May 17th, 2006 at 03:09am
Jules:
Prisoner Of Society:
Jules:

When I say we only have a few well known bands, I mean bands that the entire of Australia know.
You'll find that most Aussies who are into mainstream music would only know Grinspoon, Wolfmother and TLE.
Oh, and maybe The Veronicas.

I know that's the case with most people I know into mainstream music.
Oh bullshit.
Smash Hits magazine- yeah, that magazine that markets the veronicas like they're hot lusty sex- are telling their readers to check Grinspoon out if they like 'rock' music.
Yet more people have heard of them than the veronicas.

And you don't know Silverchair, You Am I, AC/DC, Midnight Oil, The Easybeats, Spiderbait, Kisschasy, Jet and The Vines?
Bands who have hit it big overseas?

And isn't this whole topic about little bands who 'probably aren't popular enough for an own thread'?
You're contradicting yourself.

Seriously, re-read what you just wrote.
See the parts I have put in bold?
Those are the parts YOU DON'T GET.
I have constantly used MOST AUSSIES/MOST PEOPLE. Not THE ENTIRE OF AUSTRALIA, or ALL AUSTRALIANS. I'm basing this on people I know. People you know are probably into VERY DIFFERENT bands, considering we aren't all clones.
About the whole Grinspoon/Veronicas thing: You have said that most people have heard of Grinspoon over the Veronicas. Well I said, "...would only know Grinspoon... and MAYBE THE VERONICAS."
Does that imply to you that The Veronicas are more popular than Grinspoon? Or vice versa...?
So what you're saying and what I'm saying - are they or are they not more or likey the same?

And of course I know bands such as Silverchair etc.
I know them; but doesn't mean I like all of them.
I understand that all those bands have influenced the Aussie music industry in some way or another, and I give them complete recognition for it. But in total honesty, I don't listen to Silverchair, no matter how popular they are. Because I don't like that style of music.

This thread was made for Aussie bands in general. And considering you'll find that MOST (see, that word again, most, meaning not ALL) people on INO aren't Australian (though there are a huge amount).
So a thread dedicated purely to the band of say, Mere Theory, isn't going to get 200 pages worth of talk.
That's why I made this thread; to talk about Aussie bands - MAINSTREAM OR NOT.
Fuck.
Yeah.
I apologise about what I said ["Yet more people have heard of them than the veronicas."]
No.
More people have not heard of Grinspoon than The Veronicas.
I correct myself.
The Veronicas are more popular than Grinspoon.
By a long shot.

I never said you had to like them.

Who gives a shit about if they're gonna get 200 pages of talk about them.
No band should.
Most of it is spam.

Well why don't you start talking about some non-mainstream bands?
All of the bands you're talking about either have a thread, or are worthy of one.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 03:15am
Firstly, please stop with the quoting.

Secondly, what does it matter if I want to talk about mainstream Aussie bands anyway?
As long as they're Aussie, they fit right into this thread, don't they?
Anyway, there is no point in trying to argue about crap like this.
Obviously we both have very different views on the topic of discussion, so we should just let that be.
r e v e n g e
Shotgun Sinner
r e v e n g e
May 17th, 2006 at 03:19am
Meh, I'm aussie and I dont like many of our bands.
I was VERY dissapointed by TLE's album. waste of 20 bucks
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 17th, 2006 at 03:27am
Just one thing...
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH GRINSPOON
They are amazing, I have loved them for ageeeeeeeeeees. In my opinion they are the best Australian band ever, if not the best band
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 03:28am
Nothing is wrong with Grinspoon!
Well I don't think so anyway.

I just don't really listen to them, mainly cause they're not my style of music...
Or something along those lines.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 17th, 2006 at 03:35am
I wasn't directing that at you, just the other people who are like "omg grinspoon are so mainstream, i cant like them"

It's bullshit, those boys have gotten so much shit over the years because they have become more popular and people don't like it. Sure their music has changed, but maybe that is because they (Phil in particular) are not completely drug fucked anymore, not because they are 'selling out' or whatever people say.
indie cindy''
Shotgun Sinner
indie cindy''
May 17th, 2006 at 03:39am
Three words: End of Fashion.

Yeeeahh Cool
AND AND AND
The Valentinos.

The Veronicas are amazing too.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 03:40am
Grinspoon deserve every bit of popularity and success they get.

People like that are stupid elitists, who think that because a band changes their type of music, or become mainstream, it's suddenly a trend, and they can't be copying a trend now, cause that's not cool.

It's stupid; so stupid. Because if you're a fan of a band, regardless of whether they're mainstream or not, you should support them, no matter what.

Apparently, that doesn't sit well with some people. I mean, how boring would it be if every band's every album sounded exactly the same?!
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 17th, 2006 at 03:49am
Jules:
Grinspoon deserve every bit of popularity and success they get.

People like that are stupid elitists, who think that because a band changes their type of music, or become mainstream, it's suddenly a trend, and they can't be copying a trend now, cause that's not cool.

It's stupid; so stupid. Because if you're a fan of a band, regardless of whether they're mainstream or not, you should support them, no matter what.

Apparently, that doesn't sit well with some people. I mean, how boring would it be if every band's every album sounded exactly the same?!

I <3 you

I feel exactly the same way =)
The Child Of Sin
Killjoy
The Child Of Sin
May 17th, 2006 at 03:50am
I luv the veronicas they r so good but i hate that they like micheal jackson EEEWWWW!!!! i like the rouge traders but that chick natalie (i cant spell her last name) sounds crap live ohwel ill just listen to her CDs
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 03:51am
~*~Bella~*~:

I <3 you

I feel exactly the same way =)

I <3 you too!

Us "awesome" Aussies need to stick together!
indie cindy''
Shotgun Sinner
indie cindy''
May 17th, 2006 at 03:55am
The Child Of Sin:
I luv the veronicas they r so good but i hate that they like micheal jackson EEEWWWW!!!! i like the rouge traders but that chick natalie (i cant spell her last name) sounds crap live ohwel ill just listen to her CDs

Bassingthwaighte.

Can't believe I remember that.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 17th, 2006 at 03:58am
haha I like the Rogue Traders too XD
She was actually pretty good at Homebake, but my god they sound shithouse when they are on tv
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 17th, 2006 at 03:59am
I can't say I like the Rogue Traders.

There was a song that I did like by them, I just can't remember which one!
>.<
The Child Of Sin
Killjoy
The Child Of Sin
May 17th, 2006 at 04:03am
Rose.On.Your.Coffin.Door:
The Child Of Sin:

Bassingthwaighte.

Can't believe I remember that.

hahaha thats funny... i cant believe that natalie is leaving nieghbours thats sux it wont be the same without her -cries- Sad
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 17th, 2006 at 07:05pm
If anybody is interested, Check outThe Reason
I saw them last year with Kisschasy, Forgetting Yesterday, and Horsell Common (all of which are awesome), and I have loved them ever since =)
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
May 18th, 2006 at 01:24am
Has anyone heard of a little Brisbane band called Slain Of Myself?
My mum's boyfriend's Nephew is the lead (I think it's the lead) guitarist. I got their album the other day... Very Happy
Money's A Language.
Joining The Black Parade
Money's A Language.
May 18th, 2006 at 03:20am
Jules:
Firstly, please stop with the quoting.

Secondly, what does it matter if I want to talk about mainstream Aussie bands anyway?
As long as they're Aussie, they fit right into this thread, don't they?
Anyway, there is no point in trying to argue about crap like this.
Obviously we both have very different views on the topic of discussion, so we should just let that be.
Firstly, stop nit-picking.
You just need something to say Rolling Eyes

I never said anything is wrong with that.
Yes.
They do.
That's not what I said to you in the first place.

Your friend said Australia doesn't have many good bands and I said 'because you like mainstream', you took it in a bad way and think i hate mainstream.

Yeah, there isn't too many GREAT Australian manstream bands.
But there's other great bands.

The Child Of Sin:

Oh. God.
Why gives a flying fuck who they like?

And 'her' CD's?
pffft
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 18th, 2006 at 03:48am
Stop trying to pick fights. This thread isnt for picking fights.