Don't have an account? Create one!

RULES for the discussion board. READ BEFORE YOU POST.

AuthorMessage
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 11th, 2007 at 05:30pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
I've actually been wondering for a while now if it would be appropriate to suggest a new rule be added....
Of course, I'm a nobody so feel free to tell me I'm out of line with this one, but I can't help but feel there would be a lot more productive discussion, as well as less trouble/argument/refuting statements, if it were made a rule that posters must read every single post on a discussion before adding their own input.
I just see a lot of people who've obviously jumped in on the last page and added an opinion or statement that has not only already been posted by 3408235 different users, but usually has been argued to death, or proven untrue, and I just feel that if people were asked to read all posts before jumping in, there might be less frustration among members who've taken the time to read the whole discussion and are tired of seeing the same two-sentence statement made over and over by people who think they're the first people to come up with it.
Besides, from my experience on other messageboards, it's mandatory to read a whole thread before posting, and I figure that if I can take the time and have the courtesy to read 10 pages of a discussion, and then decide whether my input is necessary or whether it's been covered by others and therefore I don't need to post, then everybody else should be asked to as well.

As I said, if you guys feel it would be too difficult to ask of people to do that, that's fine. I just thought I'd suggest it and see how it went.

I think it'd be a great idea, but as Ruby said, there's no real way to enforce it.
In the most common threads, couldn't we just get the most common opinions added in the first post, so people won't have to shuffle through 50+ pages to see what's been said/what hasn't...like I belive the homosexuality thread has something like that. Listneing to numerous people say the same thing over and over is pretty much like the rule stating you cannot just quote someone and not add anything to it, or it's considered spam.
I don't know if I'm saying this right =\

bloodredruby69:
Personally, I believe the first 200 posts on anyone's account
should be restricted to The INO chamber, the noobs area, and the story/poetry boards.

But that is just me.

I'm not sure there is a way to make sure the noobs read the rules.
Again, they can always just click on it then leave, so that it registers that
they were on that page, but they didn't actually read any of it.
But I think most people sign up on INO to talk about My Chemical Romance and other bands. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like it if they had to make 200 posts elsewhere before posting there.

I say they have to answer questions or something about the rules before they're allowed to post. *Shrugs* I've had to do something like that to get into VF cults.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
June 12th, 2007 at 06:15pm
bloodredruby69:
should be restricted to The INO chamber, the noobs area, and the story/poetry boards.

But that is just me.

Just because you're a noob doesn't make any less mature or if they understand the rules or not. Some people over 200 posts probably still don't even know the rules. It's not a question of how many posts you make, it's a question of who's reading the rules or not. Maybe you should make them read the rules when making an account..
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 12th, 2007 at 10:22pm
^
If they get flagged enough they could be banned from this particular forum until __ posts later.
-shrug-
When I joined Mibba I went straight to the News section and didn't pull any of the stuff "bad" n00bs do.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 12th, 2007 at 10:36pm
^Same, with here.
Well, hopefully. No one ever told me I'd broken a rule or spammed, at least.

But I do agree with Ruby, hypocritical though it may be. Maybe only to 100 posts, but at least some limit. That way people wouldn't wander in here thinking it's the place to "discuss" whatever they want. Also it would at least stop trollers from posting / making threads on at least this board.

I dunno, I think a lot of noobs sort of jump the gun and just post random thoughts on these threads because they think that's what they're supposed to do. If they were taken right to the noob board, they could read the rules, get all the "how to I make my sig???" questions out of the way, meet some people, get used to things, and then start actually having discussions.

There would be exceptions; people who would be able to post properly on here straight off and people who would spam even with the required number of posts, but I do think it would help with the majority.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
June 24th, 2007 at 03:21pm
We need a "not-serious topics" forum
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 24th, 2007 at 07:11pm
sparklinggrey:
We need a "not-serious topics" forum
Like the INO Chamber?
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
June 27th, 2007 at 10:23pm
bloodredruby69:

But that is just me.

I remember when I first came that I stayed in the INO chamber. But after about 100 posts I started coming to the Discussion Board. I don't think that the number of posts that you have makes you a certain way. Sometimes, the noobs don't get the rhythm of the threads, that things aren't about 'lol' or 'lmfao' all the time. I'm glad, though, that there is the WAYT thread. It's a place where you can be random and go off the topic a little bit. It's also a place where you can talk to your friends, get more posts, and share things with everyone on the thread. Having 6 posts doesn't make you stupid, and having 30,000 posts doesn't necessarily make you smart.
Ad Astra
Salute You in Your Grave
Ad Astra
June 28th, 2007 at 01:28am
Much agreed with you two the niumber of posts has nothing to do with how smart you are
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 30th, 2007 at 10:42am
But number of posts generally correlates with how much you know about INO (no, not all the time, but I think we can all agree that someone with 30,000 posts probably knows more than someone with 3). Restricting posting until people have been on INO for a while wouldn't be meant to keep "stupid" people out of the Discussion Board, it'd be meant to keep people who don't know the rules or what this board is meant for out.
What the Frank!?
Motor Baby
What the Frank!?
July 10th, 2007 at 04:39am
well i think the number of posts doesnt really matter.

i'm pretty new to the site, not the music
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 10th, 2007 at 05:27am
^But this board isn't about the music.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 10th, 2007 at 08:40am
^^ What? Oh, I keep forgetting this board has anything at all to do with MCR... I stick solely to the Discussion Board, PQ forum and sometimes venture into the INO Chamber to give some advice on things like body piercings...

/spam

But yeah, I do agree that more posts generally equals better knowledge of the board and its workings. A lot of n00bs don't seem to comprehend that the DB is a place for serious, somewhat intellectual discussion, rather than 'Omg I ttly think gay marriagi is for fags!! Geddit?! Hahahahaahahahaha'
That kind of thing...
Perhaps some kind of restriction based on rankings/post numbers would help keep the DB a bit cleaner because the kids who don't get it, can't post until they do, and the ones who do get it early on, will still be able to post when they've beefed up their post count a little.
Guy Ripley
Killjoy
Guy Ripley
July 13th, 2007 at 12:14am
Thankyou
Emmy101.5
Killjoy
Emmy101.5
July 16th, 2007 at 07:44am
this is a good reminder and its perfect & a good suggestion!
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 16th, 2007 at 07:18pm
Fezzik:
But number of posts generally correlates with how much you know about INO (no, not all the time, but I think we can all agree that someone with 30,000 posts probably knows more than someone with 3). Restricting posting until people have been on INO for a while wouldn't be meant to keep "stupid" people out of the Discussion Board, it'd be meant to keep people who don't know the rules or what this board is meant for out.
I did say that, though.
I said that if you're new you don't understand how it works, but that doesn't necessarily make you stupid.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 17th, 2007 at 12:09am
^Of course being new doesn't make you stupid. It just means you don't know that much about INO.
And the purpose of only allowing people with a certain number of posts on the Discussion Board is to keep people who don't know that much about INO and don't know what's going on or what's being talked about from disrupting the flow of conversation.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
July 22nd, 2007 at 03:54pm
With some people, it's not so much knowing nothing about INO, it's knowing nothing about the disscussion board.
If their used to the INO chamber, and don't read the DB rules, then when they come here, they won't know some things acceptable there aren't acceptable here.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 22nd, 2007 at 08:49pm
^Yeah, but if they use the INO Chamber, they'll know that the Discussion Board isn't the place to talk about MCR / non-serious topics. Plus it would probably help with chatspeak; it's allowed in the INO Chamber but most people don't like it and will call new users out on it.
dearsami
Demolition Lover
dearsami
July 31st, 2007 at 03:56am
What if there's a thread in the discussion board that we think should be deleted.. what do we do?
If it's not a serious discussion, & it hasn't been deleted yet. Even though it should be.

Do we like PM a moderator or somethingg?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 31st, 2007 at 04:08am
^Go to the first post of the thread and hit the report button next to "Quote" and "Link". Then fill in the box with why you think the thread should be locked (duplicate, spammy, not serious enough for the board) and a mod will check it out and decide.