Don't have an account? Create one!

Abortions.

AuthorMessage
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
July 13th, 2010 at 07:53am

Well yes, if you look at it in a purely physical way, then yes, the baby is technically a parasite. So one minute, inside the womb, it is a parasite, yet a minute after childbirth it is no longer a parasite?

You're forgetting the emotional side that babies can contribute to the mother, the abosolute love that these bonds create. If you have a puppy, it eats your food, gets you to clean up its crap (excuse my French), makes you take it for walks... is that not technically a parasite since it is only taking and not giving?
Same with a child? A newborn baby deprives its mother of sleep, of nutrients through breasmilk and money once it starts solids... Ultimately you're saying that all babies are parasites?
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
July 13th, 2010 at 11:46am
Well, they can be if you really look at it that way. I was just saying it was a parasite because it was living inside the mother and living off of her. But if you put it that way, they still seem like parasites after birth, too, which I'm not totally against that statement. Oh well.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
July 13th, 2010 at 05:47pm
The thing is that there is an emotional and physical side you're completely ignoring. A foetus takes a lot but it can also give back. Some people have terrible pregnancies but others have wonderful ones in which their hormones are a little more evened out, they don't have the normal PMT and their skin, hair and nails are much healthier (and prettier).

More importantly, on the emotional side, a pregnancy can do everything for a woman. If a woman has been trying for a long time, a successful pregnancy can make them elated, no matter how they feel physically. Even an unplanned pregnancy can bring a lot of joy if the mother decides not to terminate.

The thing I can't accept about all foetuses being parasites is that no one mentally healthy wants to be inflicted by a parasite. Reproduction is a different ballgame. It's often intended, instinctual and fundamental to our existence.

A parasite is defined as an organism who lives off another organism at their expense. A mother doesn't care for their baby (unborn or not) at their own expense. They do it because they want to and they get a lot back.

In my opinion, the emotional attachment is the fundamental thing that separates a parasite from a foetus/baby.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
July 13th, 2010 at 08:50pm
I'm sorry, but even if they are happy about their pregnancy, I still see the fetus like a parasite. Not exactly the same, but very similar. I mean, my step sister is pregnant, and I view her fetus like a parasite, too, even though I already love it and I'm excited for when it'll be born. It's just that since she's still inside Audrey's body, I can't really think of her as a baby, because in my opinon, she's not. She's just a fetus. Maybe not a parasite, but at least similar to one.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 14th, 2010 at 03:51am
The Rumor:

A parasite is defined as an organism who lives off another organism at their expense. A mother doesn't care for their baby (unborn or not) at their own expense. They do it because they want to and they get a lot back.
There are A LOT of women out there who carry a fetus but don't want to. Some women are, unfortunately, living in places where abortion is illegal and / or not practiced, there are women who are made to carry the fetus to full term because they're cajoled into it by their partner / parents / feel they have to because of their religion and / or culture. And some women don't form an emotional attachment to the fetus growing inside of them.

I believe women should be able to call a fetus a parasite if they so choose. Some women who experience wonderful pregnancies may disagree, but not all women have the same experiences when it comes to pregnancy.

Like with abortion, I feel women should be able to choose whether they see a fetus as a parasite or not.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 14th, 2010 at 12:22pm
Mindfuck, by no means did I mean to make miscarriages and abortions the same. But it is a very emotional thing. For some women like myself who lost a baby whether by choice or by accident, they may be overcome with sadness. Now I'm already a very depressed person, I've struggled with depression for years, so for me that is how I cope. For other women it's different. But my piont bieng was that your emotions are gonna be a very hard part to this.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
July 14th, 2010 at 12:29pm
Mindfuck:
There are A LOT of women out there who carry a fetus but don't want to. Some women are, unfortunately, living in places where abortion is illegal and / or not practiced, there are women who are made to carry the fetus to full term because they're cajoled into it by their partner / parents / feel they have to because of their religion and / or culture. And some women don't form an emotional attachment to the fetus growing inside of them.

I believe women should be able to call a fetus a parasite if they so choose. Some women who experience wonderful pregnancies may disagree, but not all women have the same experiences when it comes to pregnancy.

Like with abortion, I feel women should be able to choose whether they see a fetus as a parasite or not.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. But equally I'm just saying that I don't think all foetuses are parasites. If someone said that about my baby to me, I'd be pretty offended.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 14th, 2010 at 08:45pm
My Dear Delirious:
Mindfuck, by no means did I mean to make miscarriages and abortions the same. But it is a very emotional thing. For some women like myself who lost a baby whether by choice or by accident, they may be overcome with sadness. Now I'm already a very depressed person, I've struggled with depression for years, so for me that is how I cope. For other women it's different. But my piont bieng was that your emotions are gonna be a very hard part to this.
I didn't get any of that from your post, sorry. You claimed that "you start crying randomly, your body freaks out in random ways" as if that's the standard emotive and physical response to the end of a pregnancy - and all I was saying was that all women are different when it comes to what emotional response they will give. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, your post just seemed very generalising. Your experience =/= every woman's experience.

I'm not denying emotion is a big part of it. Just that there are a wide range of emotions people can feel, not just the emotions you felt.
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
Fabulous Killjoy
DrinkCoffee..Destroy
March 13th, 2013 at 09:24am
I'm half against it and half for it. It really depends on the situation and how the girl became pregnant in the first place. (Not having safe sex, raped, ect.)
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 16th, 2013 at 12:55am
KeepTheFaith-xofrnk:
I'm half against it and half for it. It really depends on the situation and how the girl became pregnant in the first place. (Not having safe sex, raped, ect.)

I used to have that same opinion also, but the important thing to remember is that condoms can break, birth control can fail, and so many other things can happen that I can't think of right now because I'm really, really sleepy. Even if the couple planned on getting pregnant, something can go wrong with the foetus, like an abnormality, or if there is some sort of threat to the mother's life due to the pregnancy.

My last posts on this thread are pretty old, and I don't remember my specific view on abortion then and I don't want to read through them and cringe so hard I have a stroke, so I'll just revise it and say what I think now here.
Basically I think abortion should be safe, legal, and easily accessible for low income families and minors, in any stage in pregnancy, with no questions asked. I don't think pregnant people under 18 should have to have a parent's permission, because you never know what their home life is like. The best way to prevent abortion is through safe-sex education and having easy access to birth control.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
March 16th, 2013 at 07:15am
whipstickagostop;:
Basically I think abortion should be safe, legal, and easily accessible for low income families and minors, in any stage in pregnancy, with no questions asked. I don't think pregnant people under 18 should have to have a parent's permission, because you never know what their home life is like. The best way to prevent abortion is through safe-sex education and having easy access to birth control. [/font][/size]

I agree totally.
I live in nz, and I think (not 100% sure) that you don't need consent for an abortion, even if you're under 18.
It's possible to get abortions for free here, and anyone under 21 has free sex-related healthcare. I'm very grateful for that.
And my $3 birth control for 6 months.

Back on topic, I'm very strongly pro-choice.
I disagree however with terminating pregnancies around your last term, at that point the baby could survive out of the womb on it's own.
That's how I personally define abortion and "murder" - a word I know a lot of anti-choice people like to throw around.
Ultimately, I think the health of the mother should be a priority over whether she decides to have an abortion or not.
Mentally, physically, financially. Women can have more children when and if they're ready.
Just because one is on the way to being fully grown, doesn't been it's necessary it's carried to full-term.
My Chemical Kid
Killjoy
My Chemical Kid
December 2nd, 2013 at 11:41pm
My opinion is that a woman should govern her own body. If she accidentally gets pregnant and has the choice to not have a baby or have to lose her time being young to take care of a child she doesn't want, I think we all know what she would pick. I think every woman should have a child when they are ready and have control of their own bodies.