Don't have an account? Create one!

The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 12th, 2008 at 09:06am
EeVie !:
im against it, although its not something that i've thought a ton about.

its really hypocritical though.
and i dont care wat someone's crime is, eventually they will die, and i believe that god will take care of them then. who are we to judge who should live?

Well, who is the killer to judge whether or not their victim should live or not? You seem to forget that the murderer KILLED someone, and God placed us on earth for a reason, not for waiting around waiting for Him to do something. It is our job to bring justice to this planet, and after we've done our job, God will take care of the rest.

As for the people saying there could be a mistake in condemning the wrong man (or woman), I highly doubt the government would put a killer to justice without knowing for a fact they have the right man. We aren't that uncivilized.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 12th, 2008 at 09:46am
The?!Society:

As for the people saying there could be a mistake in condemning the wrong man (or woman), I highly doubt the government would put a killer to justice without knowing for a fact they have the right man. We aren't that uncivilized.

You can't deny, though, that mistakes have and will happen. People have been wrongly sentenced to death before.
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 12th, 2008 at 09:49am
Of course there may have been and may be mistakes. But I can safely bet there has been more cases where a criminal was released and murdered (or raped whatever the case may be) again.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 12th, 2008 at 09:50am
The?!Society:

except it happens quite often, that the criminologists think they've found the killer, and the jury thinks so too, but them in ten years time or what ever, they discover more evidence that means that someone else must've done it. If you've given a guy life, then, you can take them out and say sorry, and try and get them their life back, but if you've killed them, you can't.

I think life should mean life. If you kill someone, then you should never be let out of prison, and prison should be hard. I know prison is tough, but it should be tougher. They should be forced to work, making things, like in a sweat shop. Prisoners shouldn't be allowed privileges such as nice food, or sky, or even television at all. They should be allowed to listen to the news on the radio ever hour, but, that it all. I don't think murderers should be killed.

Killing them just gives them a quick exit. They don;t have to suffer like the families of the victims do, they just die, and that's it. What I don't understand, is that why people on death row are often n suicide watch, they are going to die anyway, surely it doesn't matter who kills them.

I don't think it's fair for the families of the victims to be allowed to watch the injection either. I don't think that is right. I think for the families to watch it makes them no better than the killer. They are getting some form of enjoyment out of watching the suffering and subsequent death of a person, and I think that is wrong. Humans are not civilized, no matter how hard you look at it, we are not. We kill people who we don't like, and are killed for it. We steal, we lie we cheat. We are not 'too civilized' to make a mistake over who killed the person.

If the victim was a girl, and they were raped, tortured and murdered by their father, if the dad looks like a self respecting, up standing member of the community, maybe a banker, or an engineer, then the jury are more likely going to find him innocent. If he was a 'scumbag', an alcoholic, a tramp, maybe smelt a bit tangy, the jury will find him guilty much easier. How can you then say that we are too civilized to make a mistake.
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 12th, 2008 at 09:59am
Well, then I suggest we wait a few years until ALL the evidence has been found, then give justice. If you do believe in God, killing is not a quick exit. It's just gives them a shorter trip to their true punishment.

I'm not saying we are too civilized to make a mistake. I'm saying we're not so inhumane that we pick a guy at random and inject him without hard evidence.

I am not all for the government, but I can believe that not ALL of the judges and officials are so shallow as to take bribes to sway the case.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 12th, 2008 at 12:52pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

except it happens quite often, that the criminologists think they've found the killer, and the jury thinks so too, but them in ten years time or what ever, they discover more evidence that means that someone else must've done it. If you've given a guy life, then, you can take them out and say sorry, and try and get them their life back, but if you've killed them, you can't.

I think life should mean life. If you kill someone, then you should never be let out of prison, and prison should be hard. I know prison is tough, but it should be tougher. They should be forced to work, making things, like in a sweat shop. Prisoners shouldn't be allowed privileges such as nice food, or sky, or even television at all. They should be allowed to listen to the news on the radio ever hour, but, that it all. I don't think murderers should be killed.

Killing them just gives them a quick exit. They don;t have to suffer like the families of the victims do, they just die, and that's it. What I don't understand, is that why people on death row are often n suicide watch, they are going to die anyway, surely it doesn't matter who kills them.

I don't think it's fair for the families of the victims to be allowed to watch the injection either. I don't think that is right. I think for the families to watch it makes them no better than the killer. They are getting some form of enjoyment out of watching the suffering and subsequent death of a person, and I think that is wrong. Humans are not civilized, no matter how hard you look at it, we are not. We kill people who we don't like, and are killed for it. We steal, we lie we cheat. We are not 'too civilized' to make a mistake over who killed the person.

If the victim was a girl, and they were raped, tortured and murdered by their father, if the dad looks like a self respecting, up standing member of the community, maybe a banker, or an engineer, then the jury are more likely going to find him innocent. If he was a 'scumbag', an alcoholic, a tramp, maybe smelt a bit tangy, the jury will find him guilty much easier. How can you then say that we are too civilized to make a mistake.

Thats such a Hollywood scenario though. think about it, we don't execute people left right and center its a rare occasion that well execute someone even in the united states and out of that rare occurrence im pretty darned sure 99.9 percent of the time the legal system works. A lot of people see execution in what i call " The Green Mile" perspective. where people think that people are going to the chair in mass quantities for crimes they didn't commit.

You have to remember that even though people are in jail for life, they're still people with the same human rights as a person outside of jail, the only difference is they have been incarcerated. you talk like you think that just because your in jail you should be stripped of basic human rights like good food.

it does, the state ( state with a small "s" means governing body) has decreed their punishment and so the state has to administer it. its a really complicated idea but you learn to look by all the hollywood ideals and just take it for what its worth.

i think she meant civilized in the sense that people are smart enough to realise things for themselves. sure every lies cheats and steals. thats just human nature. the laws just there to curb it.

again .. judges arent that easily swayed.
thats a very Holly wood scenario.

Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 14th, 2008 at 12:31am
The?!Society:
EeVie !:
im against it, although its not something that i've thought a ton about.

its really hypocritical though.
and i dont care wat someone's crime is, eventually they will die, and i believe that god will take care of them then. who are we to judge who should live?

Well, who is the killer to judge whether or not their victim should live or not? You seem to forget that the murderer KILLED someone, and God placed us on earth for a reason, not for waiting around waiting for Him to do something. It is our job to bring justice to this planet, and after we've done our job, God will take care of the rest.

just because the killer was wrong making that decision doesn't give us the right to make that decision too. two wrongs don't make a right. i think god put us on this earth to bring justice too, but i think killing someone is out of line.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 14th, 2008 at 06:31am
Migatron.:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

If the victim was a girl, and they were raped, tortured and murdered by their father, if the dad looks like a self respecting, up standing member of the community, maybe a banker, or an engineer, then the jury are more likely going to find him innocent. If he was a 'scumbag', an alcoholic, a tramp, maybe smelt a bit tangy, the jury will find him guilty much easier. How can you then say that we are too civilized to make a mistake?

Thats such a Hollywood scenario though. think about it, we don't execute people left right and center its a rare occasion that well execute someone even in the united states and out of that rare occurrence I'm pretty darned sure 99.9 percent of the time the legal system works. A lot of people see execution in what i call " The Green Mile" perspective. where people think that people are going to the chair in mass quantities for crimes they didn't commit.

You have to remember that even though people are in jail for life, they're still people with the same human rights as a person outside of jail, the only difference is they have been incarcerated. you talk like you think that just because your in jail you should be stripped of basic human rights like good food.

it does, the state ( state with a small "s" means governing body) has decreed their punishment and so the state has to administer it. its a really complicated idea but you learn to look by all the Hollywood ideals and just take it for what its worth.

i think she meant civilized in the sense that people are smart enough to realize things for themselves. sure every lies cheats and steals. thats just human nature. the laws just there to curb it.

again .. judges aren't that easily swayed.
thats a very Holly wood scenario.

judges might not be, but juries often are. And even Hollywood has to come from somewhere right?

and yes, I think you should be stripped of some human rights when you are in jail, because you have done something disgusting, and you should be punished for it. Killing someone just kills them, it's over, they never have to suffer. Surely they should suffer?

Did you know that in the UK, more money is spent on one meal in a prison, than on one meal in a school?

I know people aren't executed 'left, right and center', but I still think that one execution is too many.

You're killing someone, because they killed someone to show people that killing people is wrong? It doesn't make any sense. It's hypocritical, it's morally wrong, and it's not punishment.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 14th, 2008 at 06:41am
The?!Society:
Well, then I suggest we wait a few years until ALL the evidence has been found, then give justice. If you do believe in God, killing is not a quick exit. It's just gives them a shorter trip to their true punishment. .
I don't believe in God, and nor do a lot of other people, so to a lot of people it would seem to be the quick exit, rather than a shorter trip to punishment.

The?!Society:
I'm not saying we are too civilized to make a mistake. I'm saying we're not so inhumane that we pick a guy at random and inject him without hard evidence.
surely it's inhuman to even inject the right person? It makes you no better than them, you are killing a person. You might say that you are punishing them, but what if they had thought in their hearts, that when they murdered the people, they thought they were punishing them? Then what makes you any different, other than being on different sides of the law?

The?!Society:
I am not all for the government, but I can believe that not ALL of the judges and officials are so shallow as to take bribes to sway the case.

I was saying that the JURY can be easily swayed, they are after all just ordinary people chosen supposedly at random
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 14th, 2008 at 10:35am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

judges might not be, but juries often are. And even Hollywood has to come from somewhere right?

and yes, I think you should be stripped of some human rights when you are in jail, because you have done something disgusting, and you should be punished for it. Killing someone just kills them, it's over, they never have to suffer. Surely they should suffer?

Did you know that in the UK, more money is spent on one meal in a prison, than on one meal in a school?

I know people aren't executed 'left, right and center', but I still think that one execution is too many.

You're killing someone, because they killed someone to show people that killing people is wrong? It doesn't make any sense. It's hypocritical, it's morally wrong, and it's not punishment.

Yeah still the jury doesnt hand down the sentance, the judge does the jury is mearly a collection of members of society "peers" of the guy on trial that decided whether hes guilty or not, its pretty symbolic its like saying society itself has deemed that person guilty .

and i think that idea of just because a person has gone to jail, they should be stripped of their human rights, thats against everything the united nations declarations of human rights stands for, jailed or not they are human beings and deserve all the basics you and i have regardless of crime. i mean basically human rights are rights you get for being human, are you saying if you commit a crime you biologically become less human than you or i ?

people have to eat, and school food and prison food taste like hospital food but put it this way, that guy in the prison whos eating that food has to eat it day in day out, the school kid doesn't

but you do realize that executions don't serve as a punishment against the individual ? they serve as protection for society ?
we don't execute to show that killing is wrong, we execute for the pure fact that the person has probably done a bad enough crime to warrent society to say " wow we can't afford to have this guy around us" and so we put them to death for the betterment of society" alot of people think that we do execute people as a punishment against the indivudual but thats not the case thats entirely wrong.

freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 14th, 2008 at 04:29pm
I think the only reason their not leagelizing the death penelty is incase, they kill the wrong person.
Cause they could of been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Has been known to happen a fair few times from documentries ive seen (yes, i watch them im a nerd leave me alone lol).
That and they'd be contridicting them selves, because if they killed the wrong person. That'd be in cold blood, so it'd just go round and round in a vicious circle.
Either way, a life is invain.

I do apologise for my crappy spelling by the way! (Mildly Dyslexic)
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 14th, 2008 at 08:43pm
[quote="Migatron."]
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

we don't execute to show that killing is wrong, we execute for the pure fact that the person has probably done a bad enough crime to warrent society to say " wow we can't afford to have this guy around us" and so we put them to death for the betterment of society"

[/size][/font]

I would actually like to know where you are getting that information from. Because you are presenting that piece of information as if it were a fact, and we all know that in some societies, ^ that is not the case.
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 14th, 2008 at 08:45pm
I agree with the above, if that was the case.
Alot of prisons would be empty lol.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 15th, 2008 at 03:50am
techno cocaine.:

I would actually like to know where you are getting that information from. Because you are presenting that piece of information as if it were a fact, and we all know that in some societies, ^ that is not the case.

by "we" i meant us people in countries who practice western civil law systems that are descendant from roman times ?
Some societies ? like ones that say dont practice the conventional western ideals of law and justice ?
well then thats a different ball game .

if your thinking honor killings like getting stoned thats more of a thing to do with culture like protecting honor and really isnt like a death sentance since you dont go to trial or anything its just murder for the sake of honor .

i did it in my preliminary legal studies course
and elements of it carried on into my hsc legal studies course.

Legal Studies Preliminary; Hamper Boesenberg & Kenny: 2003 Melbourne: Pearson Education Co

Legal Studies Hsc; Hamper Boesenberg & Kenny:2003 Melbourne. pearson education Co.

Crime, Law & Justice and Human Rights; C. Newell et al:2007 Sydney; Private print.

im not blowing this out of my arse thanks.

and no prisons would still be full
cos most people who go to prison go to prison for drug offences.
we clearly do not execute people with drug offences.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 15th, 2008 at 03:58am
techno cocaine.:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

we don't execute to show that killing is wrong, we execute for the pure fact that the person has probably done a bad enough crime to warrent society to say " wow we can't afford to have this guy around us" and so we put them to death for the betterment of society"

[/size][/font]

that made it sound like it was me who said that, but it wasn't it was Migatron, and I want that made really clear. I think the death penalty is wrong, no matter what crime they committed, nothing is bad enough to warrant killing a human being. I think they should be put in prison, and given only the very basics (food, water, bed, toilet, sink, etc) because they don't deserve privileges like television, or radio, or a comfortable bed. They should be punished, and in my eyes killing them doesn't do enough.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 15th, 2008 at 04:38am
Migatron.:
techno cocaine.:

by "we" i meant us people in countries who practice western civil law systems that are descendant from roman times ?
Some societies ? like ones that say dont practice the conventional western ideals of law and justice ?
well then thats a different ball game .

if your thinking honor killings like getting stoned thats more of a thing to do with culture like protecting honor and really isnt like a death sentance since you dont go to trial or anything its just murder for the sake of honor .

i did it in my preliminary legal studies course
and elements of it carried on into my hsc legal studies course.

Legal Studies Preliminary; Hamper Boesenberg & Kenny: 2003 Melbourne: Pearson Education Co

Legal Studies Hsc; Hamper Boesenberg & Kenny:2003 Melbourne. pearson education Co.

Crime, Law & Justice and Human Rights; C. Newell et al:2007 Sydney; Private print.

im not blowing this out of my arse thanks.

and no prisons would still be full
cos most people who go to prison go to prison for drug offences.
we clearly do not execute people with drug offences.

Just because you were taught it in your legal studies course, it doesn't mean it is a hard "fact". I also did legal studies when I was in highschool, and despite the fact that there were some things we learned of value, we were also taught to form our own opinions and theories, not just take every single thing we learned as hard fact. Just because it says so in a text book, it doesn't mean it's the be all and end all in this argument.

I don't believe that those countries who have the death penalty use it purely and simply to keep harm out of society. I believe that part of the reason some places still have the death penalty stems from the old adage "an eye for an eye", i.e revenge. Now, I know not everyone believes that, and that's okay. Some people believe what you believe, and that's okay.

The point I am, and was, trying to make was that people's perspectives on the death penalty change. One person's perspective is going to differ from another's. You can't say 'well this is how it is, and that's the end of it', because it's not. People think differently.

EDIT -
sorry ChipmunkOnKetamine, I quoted wrongly. My bad. I was meant to quote Migatron.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 15th, 2008 at 04:40am
dp.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 15th, 2008 at 09:15am
Migatron.:

and i think that idea of just because a person has gone to jail, they should be stripped of their human rights, thats against everything the united nations declarations of human rights stands for, jailed or not they are human beings and deserve all the basics you and i have regardless of crime. i mean basically human rights are rights you get for being human, are you saying if you commit a crime you biologically become less human than you or i ?
[/size][/font]

I think they should have just the bare necessities, and be punished by not having any privileges. I'm not talking about removing basic human rights, like food, water, and shelter, I'm talking about removing luxuries, like a comfortable bed, a nice view, televison, radio, interaction with loved ones. Making it so that they would wish they were dead, but not giving them the privilege dying. I know that my opinion is cruel, and some people would regard it as heartless, but I think that anybody that kills someone should be made to suffer, and dying, just isn't suffering.
jonas erik altberg.
Banned
jonas erik altberg.
May 15th, 2008 at 11:18am
survived abortion.:
I think if people do something SO TERRIBLY WRONG, like killed another human being, then why shouldn't they have the same pain inflicted on them? Then they would know what that person felt.

Have you ever seen 3 mile?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 15th, 2008 at 11:22am
techno cocaine.:

[font=1]Just because you were taught it in your legal studies course, it doesn't mean it is a hard "fact". I also did legal studies when I was in highschool, and despite the fact that there were some things we learned of value, we were also taught to form our own opinions and theories, not just take every single thing we learned as hard fact. Just because it says so in a text book, it doesn't mean it's the be all and end all in this argument.

I don't believe that those countries who have the death penalty use it purely and simply to keep harm out of society. I believe that part of the reason some places still have the death penalty stems from the old adage "an eye for an eye", i.e revenge. Now, I know not everyone believes that, and that's okay. Some people believe what you believe, and that's okay.

The point I am, and was, trying to make was that people's perspectives on the death penalty change. One person's perspective is going to differ from another's. You can't say 'well this is how it is, and that's the end of it', because it's not. People think differently.

first of all i never said i was an advocate for the death sentence. im just playing devils advocate. im just really sick of this one sided argument i figure why bother having a thread like this if everyone is just gonna look at the topic from one viewpoint.

but seriously just take a look at the people who have been executed in the us and the reasons they've been executed, i mean its just clear that most of them like the Oklahoma's bomber weren't fit to be in society. and then look at the people in south east Asia who are facing the firing line for drug offenses. those governments and law makers see drugs as a massive problem to their society and their just doing what they feel would serve their society. and if you look its doing its job and decreased the drug traffic but not entirely wiped it out. im not saying i condone this though

and yeah i've formed my own opinion on it and so have you and you make an excellent point but the thing is that there has to be more than just eye for an eye it has to serve some deeper purpose i mean if it was eye for an eye the person doing the execution would be the victim but its not, its the state.
the state makes execution very impersonal as opposed to the victim dishing out vengeance which obviously would be a very emotional affair

ChipmunkOnKetamine:

I think they should have just the bare necessities, and be punished by not having any privileges. I'm not talking about removing basic human rights, like food, water, and shelter, I'm talking about removing luxuries, like a comfortable bed, a nice view, televison, radio, interaction with loved ones. Making it so that they would wish they were dead, but not giving them the privilege dying. I know that my opinion is cruel, and some people would regard it as heartless, but I think that anybody that kills someone should be made to suffer, and dying, just isn't suffering.

But then really think about the reason we incarcerate criminals ?/
we do it for two reasons i ) Rehabilitate ii) incapacitate. notice how rehabilitation comes first. if someones in jail most likely for drug offenses you want to be able to put them back into society ? so how on earth are you going to do that when you've basically alienated him but cutting him off from society and basically treated him or her like a subhuman entity?.

and like yeah we have that. its called high security prisons or supermax .
it costs 200000 aus dollars to keep someone locked up every year because they have to have four guards to each person. now 200g x how ever many years he has till he dies = tax payers $$$$.