Don't have an account? Create one!

The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 23rd, 2008 at 08:20pm
(This is mainly in relation to the discussion Eponine and ChipmunkOnKetamine were having on the previous page)

It really depends on what country you are from, but I'm pretty sure over here that no prisoner is allowed access to internet. Maybe when they are still on trial, but not when they are actually serving their sentence. And if they are, then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to access more than personal email. And even then it would be heavily monitored. It's not like they'd be given a laptop with wireless internet when they walk through the prison doors.

And with things like television, to my knowledge those privileges are earned - not thrust upon them when they set up in prison on the first day. Usually this only applies to 'petty' criminals (and by 'petty', I mean those criminals who have committed crime(s) less than murder and rape etc.).

In prison, depending on their crime, they are also usually made to do community service and work (obviously if they are a danger to society, such as a murderer etc. then they wouldn't be let out into the community.... I don't think). This work and community service is a chance for them to earn privileges such as TV. I'm not sure about video games - I've never really heard of prisoners of any calibre being allowed to play video games. But if that is the case, then that would have to be earned too. And depending on the duration of their sentence, the earning of games and television could take some time.

The point I'm trying to make is that privileges in prison are quite individualistic and do not apply to all prisoners. So if one is a murderer, they are not going to get the same treatment as someone who robbed a petrol station, for example. Plus (and I'm not sure about other countries), prisoners such as murderers, serial killers, rapists etc. are kept separate from other criminals who committed lesser crimes. And those other prisons are quite high security and have privileges restriced even more so.

I would also like to point out that there are certain human rights that need to be upheld for all citizens, including prisoners. By this, I mean things like food, water, bathroom facilities and clothes etc. need to be provided because they're necessities (at least by most societies' standards). As I've already mentioned, things like TV and games are earned in prison - they come secondary.

I realise that not all countries adhere to the same human rights principles, but here in Australia it's part of the law to allow basic human rights to all, including prisoners.

Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
September 1st, 2008 at 04:00pm
i'm on both sides, kind of.

i'm against the death sentence in the sense that it is a little bit hypocritical. it doesn't really make sense that we're telling people to not kill people, but if you do kill someone, we'll kill you. that just doesn't make sense to me.

but on the other hand, taxpayers are paying like 45 grand or something in that range for these guys that are usually complete dirtbags that, honestly, do deserve to die. take that 45 grand for each person a year and mulitply it my however millons of people that are locked up, and that is a ton of $ that we're spending. not to mention the salary and training of prison guards. i'm not knocking the prison guards, but they do have a very high pay grade. i guess i would want to get paid loads for being locked up in a high security prison too, though. i don't know. people disgust me.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 4th, 2008 at 01:40am
Mindfuck:
(This is mainly in relation to the discussion Eponine and ChipmunkOnKetamine were having on the previous page)

It really depends on what country you are from, but I'm pretty sure over here that no prisoner is allowed access to internet. Maybe when they are still on trial, but not when they are actually serving their sentence. And if they are, then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to access more than personal email. And even then it would be heavily monitored. It's not like they'd be given a laptop with wireless internet when they walk through the prison doors.

And with things like television, to my knowledge those privileges are earned - not thrust upon them when they set up in prison on the first day. Usually this only applies to 'petty' criminals (and by 'petty', I mean those criminals who have committed crime(s) less than murder and rape etc.).

In prison, depending on their crime, they are also usually made to do community service and work (obviously if they are a danger to society, such as a murderer etc. then they wouldn't be let out into the community.... I don't think). This work and community service is a chance for them to earn privileges such as TV. I'm not sure about video games - I've never really heard of prisoners of any calibre being allowed to play video games. But if that is the case, then that would have to be earned too. And depending on the duration of their sentence, the earning of games and television could take some time.

The point I'm trying to make is that privileges in prison are quite individualistic and do not apply to all prisoners. So if one is a murderer, they are not going to get the same treatment as someone who robbed a petrol station, for example. Plus (and I'm not sure about other countries), prisoners such as murderers, serial killers, rapists etc. are kept separate from other criminals who committed lesser crimes. And those other prisons are quite high security and have privileges restriced even more so.

I would also like to point out that there are certain human rights that need to be upheld for all citizens, including prisoners. By this, I mean things like food, water, bathroom facilities and clothes etc. need to be provided because they're necessities (at least by most societies' standards). As I've already mentioned, things like TV and games are earned in prison - they come secondary.

I realise that not all countries adhere to the same human rights principles, but here in Australia it's part of the law to allow basic human rights to all, including prisoners.

Actually, you are right

If you are in prison for murder, rape, or other violent crimes, you DON'T have liberties, you DON'T have joys, and you DON'T have the internet. It's you and your cell, and maybe a book if you are lucky. I suggest anyone who says otherwise to get off their ass and actually look into the prison systems of the us. petty drug peddlers have the good life, but people in prison for violent crimes are stripped of all humanity, and I don't really care what they have done, those people don't deserve that. Many of those people are sick mentally and arn't receiving the mental healthcare they deserve because though they can be turned into normal functioning person, society just doesn't care about them anymore-to the point where yes, it's even okay to murder them,
Did you know that a person doesn't have antisocial personality (which causes many to kill) their whole life? It develops when a person is usually in teen-young adult years and will go away within 30 or so if treated?

That means a sane person, who regrets the actions of what was a mental problem more then their own desires, could be killed, and is treated like less then a human in prison..not that some of you care
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 4th, 2008 at 01:36pm
My views on death row are plain and simple.

Someone who murders more then one person has no repsect for life. Therefor, how can he/she respect his or her own life? A proper way of punisent would be prison for life. Death would only make the person happy XXD
MilitaryFairy
Killjoy
MilitaryFairy
September 7th, 2008 at 11:06pm
I only believe in the death penalty if the convict has murdered a mass amount of people and is a real danger to the public, like Saddam Hussein.

Because people can make mistakes, no matter how severe, and I believe they should be given a second chance. And jail isn't all fun and games. You're taken away from friends, family, and in mental torment.

I agree with DIE! DIE! DIE! about the mental healthcare...if you committed a crime because you are sick mentally, you should have treatment.
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 8th, 2008 at 01:57pm
[quote="MoreFreshFruit!!"]I only believe in the death penalty if the convict has murdered a mass amount of people and is a real danger to the public, like Saddam Hussein.

In 3rd world places, sure. But in USA, it wouldn't be hard at all to contain the person.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 9th, 2008 at 02:44pm
But then not only does he keep his life, he costs the public thouasands to keep.
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 9th, 2008 at 04:40pm
It's a fact that killing someone is more money then life in prison.. I don't have to numbers in front of me, but if you look it up, you'll see I'm right.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 9th, 2008 at 05:36pm
It's sweet to me that American's care more these days about money then a human life
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 10th, 2008 at 01:16pm
It's sweet to me that not only does a killer escape with his life, but we are also expected to pay for the killer to life in a cushy cell for the rest of his life.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 10th, 2008 at 03:05pm
a murder doesn't kill from some evil force, they kill from sickness or twisted morality, and neither deserve more bloodshed. Revenge is one of the most dangerous and evil things this world can offer, and nearly every developed country in the world has realized this but the US
Super.Ninja.1
Killjoy
Super.Ninja.1
September 11th, 2008 at 11:39pm
I also think they should live their lives thinking about what they have done. I don't belive you should kill someone, because that wont make them learn their lesson. It actually never really gives them a chance TO think. All they think about after the sentence is dieing.
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 17th, 2008 at 03:13pm
Super.Ninja.1:
I also think they should live their lives thinking about what they have done. I don't belive you should kill someone, because that wont make them learn their lesson. It actually never really gives them a chance TO think. All they think about after the sentence is dieing.

Thats what I've always said... and people say I'm crazy!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 18th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Super.Ninja.1:
While I DON'T agree with the death penalty, I'd just like to point out that most people who are sentenced to death are then put on death row - they aren't killed instantly after their verdict is handed down. I think they would have plenty of time to think about what they've done, personally (although that doesn't change my stance on the death penalty - I'm still against it, and I've stated why numerous times).
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 19th, 2008 at 10:18am
I'm pro death penalty for anyone who abuses and/or murders a child. They're the scum of the earth, worse than animals, and they cannot be rehabilitated. Save the jail space, I say. No mercy for those who prey upon the innocent. In response to Pippin's sad-but-true statement that the death penalty frequently results in 25 years worth of solitary, I say string em up and let the town beat em to death.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
September 25th, 2008 at 02:38pm
To start it off, soft and nice:
I guess its all up to theoretical or emotional arguments.

Emotional:
If someone close to me got killed, I would prolly hunt after the killers myself. (Same goes for rape or child abuse) I would argue for their death penalty. But, if my kid would be mentally ill or just turn out to be an animal for one reason or another and kill someone, I would argue against their death penalty.

Theoretically:
"You can judge a society by how they treat their criminals." Yes, the government becomes murderers. That alone is the only argument against death penalty I need. The value of human life and freedom needs to be upheld.

What i really feel:
Death penalty is a sure sign of an underdeveloped democracy.
(Compare http://www.economist.com/images/rankings/Democracy.jpg to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_punishment_by_nation )
It is a regression back to "laws of the jungle" and fanatic standpoint that's been made in situations such as in primitive cultures or where a church has set the moral standards using phrases like "an eye for an eye".
It is an insult to the reasoning thinking human being.

I'm not saying that a legal system should be all roses and happy happy joy joy. I'm saying that a legal system has to be based on reason, not religious or emotional beliefs. The freedom to live in a nation, and the right to be a citizen should however be considered a privilege that could be revoked.
I personally feel that the real question should be when your citizenship should be permanently revoked (i.e life in jail) and when you still considered a citizen to be readjustable and give him/her the means to do so. (i.e treatment)

I do respect your opinion, and I'm not calling you fanatic. I think that most people who speak up for the death penalty base their reasoning on emotions. Problem is. emotions are subjective. When making laws for a whole nation you have to use a more objective standpoint and reasoning, respect and the value of human life should be the base for arguments around the death penalty, not emotions.

summed up and reposted from someplace else ^^
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
October 9th, 2008 at 01:14pm
i think its plain wrong
your just commiting another murder by doing so
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 10th, 2008 at 07:32am
We had a case recently where a man, who was released on Sept. 1 after serving 13 years on drug related murder charges, walked into a CVS with a semi-automatic handgun and stole $100,000 worth of OxyContin. The fact that he killed to get drugs before tells me that he would not have hesitated to kill again had the pharmacist not handed over the pills. If 13 years in prison haven't rehabilitated this man, nothing will. So now he's back in prison, and will cost the taxpayers thousands on lawyers and the next 13 years in prison.

A man who walked out of prison on child rape and murder charges was free for less than a week before he raped and killed two more little boys. Those children were born while he was in jail, he should have never had the chance to see or touch them, and now they are gone and their parents are having to deal with the fact that had this monster been kept in prison or put to death, their sons would still be alive, rather than suffering the horrific, sick, twisted deaths that they did. A third boy is recovering after being found tied up in his bathtub, nearly sodomized to death. Three victims in the less than a week that this man was freed on parole.

Do I feel that they need to be removed from society permanently? Absolutely. And by absolutely I mean as permanently as they are able; i.e. execution. People who are so far gone that they will kill for drugs or kill children for sexual pleasure don't deserve to remain on this planet.

I also don't feel that the lethal injection method is fair. If I hear about one more death row inmate complaining about how "oh, I'm afraid it will hurt" I will go nuts. These people rape, torture, beat, murder, and dismember their victims. The most recent one was put to death for raping a mother and her two daughters, ages 7 and 3, then shooting all three of them. The mother somehow lived even after being shot in the head. She has to live daily with the screams of her children in her mind. She has permanent damage from the rape and shooting. In his appeal, he said that he was afraid of needles and that it would give him "undue stress and pain". Something tells me those two little girls had undue stress and unimaginable pain (a 3 year old baby. Being raped.) in their final hours. Hard for me to sympathize with him being scared of a little needle.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
October 10th, 2008 at 07:49am
^ Yes.

This will probably count as spam, but in all honesty I'm about to go to bed and can't be bothered with a long-winded argument on why there are a lot of 'people' out there who are a complete danger to innocent men, women and children, and therefore, the rights of the majority should override the rights of one individual who will undoubtedly harm members of the majority.

In short, yes to death penalty. Should be much more of it.
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
October 10th, 2008 at 06:29pm
I was wondering if any of you have ever caught this show on TV, "Most Evil".
It's actually very interesting... This man has devised a scale for murders and crimes, and determines after interviews with these crimals, how 'evil' they are.
I mean, 'evil' is probably not the term we should use, but I think it's just a blanket term for how much compassion they truly lack, how ruthless the crimes committed were, and whatnot. And their inherent 'evilness' is reduced if they seem to suffer a mental illness, but some people score into catergories because they truly just want to cause harm to people and hurt them.
I'm not explaining it very well, here's the scale

My class was discussing the death penalty, and this scale was brought up, and with that, an interesting question-- why not just use this to determine the death penalty?
I don't really want to express my opinions on it, but I thought it could be an interesting thing to think about in this thread. Why not just kill 'evil' people? Are people who are 'evil' of a lesser value? Do 'evil' people deserve to live?
I just thought it could be something new to bring to the discussion, you guys can ignore it if you want.