Don't have an account? Create one!

The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
January 12th, 2009 at 01:38pm
I'd just like to point out, especially having some one very close to me in prison for a long time, frequently visiting them, that criminals who are put it in prison for terrible crimes such as peadophilia and rape, particularly these crimes that are well publicised or result in murder, do not get it easy on the inside. Usually they're attacked by other inmates with no help from the wardens (and quite rightly if they're guilty) and are isolated and hated by the rest of the prison. Most prisons have their own cell blocks for such people as they can't be put with the rest of the prisoners for fear of their lives. Take for example that piece of shit Ian Huntly. He'd been attacked many times in prison.

What I'm trying to say is that prison can sometimes be a worse fate than death for such people convicted of muder, especially relating to peadophilia or rape, where they can't even leave their cell. And believe me, I'm not exagerating. Knowing some one who was inside the prison system for a few years has taught me that.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 12th, 2009 at 01:47pm
Crystal Castles:
I'd just like to point out, especially having some one very close to me in prison for a long time, frequently visiting them, that criminals who are put it in prison for terrible crimes such as peadophilia and rape, particularly these crimes that are well publicised or result in murder, do not get it easy on the inside. Usually they're attacked by other inmates with no help from the wardens (and quite rightly if they're guilty) and are isolated and hated by the rest of the prison. Most prisons have their own cell blocks for such people as they can't be put with the rest of the prisoners for fear of their lives. What I'm trying to say is that prison can sometimes be a worse fate than death for such people convicted of muder, especially relating to peadophilia or rape, where they can't even leave their cell.
That's true, but when they wind up in solitary "for their protection," i.e. Susan Smith, I find myself growling "Why?" Disgust I don't know whether I was more pissed off about that or Andrea Yates getting off by reason of insanity.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
January 14th, 2009 at 12:47am
I'm really against the death penalty, i don't believe its our place to make such a decision, and like someone said above prison can be worse than death in the way that its almost like a slow painful death. I say put the person in prison for life and what happens happens.
on birds and glass
Always Born a Crime
on birds and glass
January 14th, 2009 at 08:28pm
At first, I was for the death penalty. I thought it was a great way to elimate cold hearted criminals. We started talking about the subject in my Social Justice class, and I got to realize that the death penalty is a way for a criminal to escape. They are dead and get to go on to who knows what. Most of the time, it's what they want. I believe that criminals, like murders, pedophiles, etc., should have to suffer in prison for the rest of their lives. If they made people suffer, the best punishment to give them would be to make them suffer as well.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
January 14th, 2009 at 08:59pm
love is the movement:
At first, I was for teh death penalty. I thought it was a great way to elimate cold hearted criminals. We started talking about the subject in my Social Justice class, and I got to realize that the death penalty is a way for a criminal to escape. They are dead and get to go on to who knows what. Most of the time, it's what they want. I believe that criminals, like murders, pedophiles, etc., should have to suffer in prison for the rest of their lives. If they made people suffer, the best punishment to give them would be to make them suffer as well.

If it's what they want, how come they don't all commit suicide?
As for making them suffer because they made someone else suffer, how is that different from, say, an eye for an eye, or killing someone because they killed someone else?
on birds and glass
Always Born a Crime
on birds and glass
January 14th, 2009 at 10:59pm
A lot of serial killers do commit suicide after they have finished their 'work.' Instead of facing the consequences they just take their own lives.
It's not that different. But at least they aren't getting killed. Murderers, rapists, etc. deserve to suffer. Killing them would take their pain away.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 15th, 2009 at 09:19am
love is the movement:
A lot of serial killers do commit suicide after they have finished their 'work.'
I know of not one. The only murder/suicides I've ever read about have been crimes of passion. In my opinion, we don't have the money to house unrehabilitatable criminals. If they're so unfit for society, why are we still treating them with such mercy then? We wouldn't hesitate to put down another animal we deemed a threat to humanity.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
January 15th, 2009 at 08:10pm
Deb:

We wouldn't hesitate to put down another animal we deemed a threat to humanity.

animals wouldn't have to live with the guilt. But then again many unrehabilitable humans would not either.

love is the movement:

Killing them would take their pain away.

But are they really suffering that much pain? if they did it in the first place, chances are that they do not feel much regret. some may, but some do not. And for the ones that do feel pain, and have life sentences, what's the point of keeping them there? they are going to die in prison anyway, so rehabilitation is definitely not the point, and for the victims, who could very possibly live in fear that the perpetrators would escape and strike again, get revenge.
MCR_Charlie
Killjoy
MCR_Charlie
February 15th, 2010 at 10:43am
OK, here's an essay I wrote in English on The Death Penalty:
Should Capital Punishment be banned in the UK?

Some humans are the most cruel beasts to live. They thieve rape and murder for their own pleasure. Why don’t these hateful brutes deserve to die? If they have caused their victims to be neurotic with fear – why shouldn’t they suffer in pain?

Even though some may consider capital punishment as “vicious” and “barbaric”, the offender deserves to endure distress, because the criminal mercilessly tortured their victims. Other people believe the death penalty should be brought back. Theodore Roosevelt, past president of America, believed the death penalty should be brought back. He stated, “I personally have always voted for the death penalty because I believe that people who go out prepared to take the lives of other people forfeit their own right to live. I believe that that death penalty should be used only very rarely, but I believe that no-one should go out certain that no matter how cruel, how vicious, how hideous their murder, they themselves will not suffer the death penalty.” There was a Gallup international pole in 2000, which said "Worldwide support was expressed in favour of the death penalty, with just more than half (52%) indicating that they were in favour of this form of punishment." There are some cases where even people who are ordinarily against capital punishment want the offender dead. For example, when a father of five was murdered, by 21-year-old Carl Keatley, and 16-year-old Jordan Carroll. Support was generated and there was public coutary as the victim was a hard-working family man. What about his children? Another example is a man called Romell Broom, who raped and murdered a fourteen year old girl. This young girl was scarred and would have to relive these events everyday for the rest of her life. Imagine if you were a victim’s friends or relatives. Wouldn’t you want these people dead?

An additional argument is that we are wasting tax-payer’s money. Statistics suggest that every year a criminal in prison costs over £22,000; the cost of a single life term is over £1.5 million following appeal processes. There is no space left in prisons, because they are like a hotel; they have comfortable beds, televisions, pool tables, visiting hours, and college courses. Why should they get college courses for free, when non-criminals hve to pay laqrge amounts of money? Going to prison is like taking a long vacation. Prisoners reoffend to avoid the responsibilities of adult life – such as getting a job and paying the bills and rent. Why should the government spend money on creating luxury prisons? Why not spend it on something more beneficial, like education, or the NHS?

Every execution results in 18 fewer murders. On average, homicides decrease by 35.7% immediately following a publicized execution. Also, it is proven statistically that countries with capital punishment have a lower crime rate. There is a quote proving this taken from a site called http://www.religioustolerance.org/execut4.htm#deter, which says, “In America, from 1976 till 1997, the annual murder rate fell from 31 to 27”. This was when capital punishment was used most in America. Would you think again before doing something evil and illegal if the consequence was a traumatic death?

The main argument against capital punishment is that many mistakes have been made in the past. However, it is very difficult to make an error with all the technology and DNA forensic scientists are taking advantage of today. 0.1% of executions are mistakes. With recent DNA screening, 771 murder mysteries have been solved. With this technology, science is right 99.99% of the time.

Finally, the bible states “thou shalt not kill,” but the bible contradicts itself all the way through. For instance, Genesis 1 and 2 disagree about the order in which things are created, and how satisfied God is about the results of his labours. Another example of this is a quote taken from the bible itself: “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” The bible clearly states in other places that all animals, plants and creatures are equal, so why should man have domination over the other species? The final example is another quote taken from two different versions of the bible, but about the same thing. “And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.” This version is saying that Jacob is the father of Joseph, whereas the other version says, “And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,” which means that Heli is the father of Joseph. How can anyone believe anything the bible says?

In conclusion, others may have different opinions regarding capital punishment, and says the criminal has the right to live, but what about the victims? Themselves and loved ones were probably distraught with mental anguish. These selfish beasts violated their victim’s rights. Why should they have the right to survive? Back to the introduction: why shouldn’t they suffer in pain?
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
February 15th, 2010 at 01:32pm
Melodramaticfool:
Some humans are the most cruel beasts to live. They thieve rape and murder for their own pleasure. Why don’t these hateful brutes deserve to die? If they have caused their victims to be neurotic with fear – why shouldn’t they suffer in pain?
Well, if you ask me, they don't deserve to die because no one does. Everyone is entitled to their life at the moment they've popped out of the womb, and no one has the right to take that away from them. I find the death penalty hugely hypocritical. A person murders someone, and then the government say, you shall be put to death. They're supposedly serving justice, by advocating what the person did in the first place, which personally I find, quite frankly, puerile.

Melodramaticfool:
Even though some may consider capital punishment as “vicious” and “barbaric”, the offender deserves to endure distress, because the criminal mercilessly tortured their victims.
Not always. You mentioned thieving earlier on, do those people deserve enduring distress?

Melodramaticfool:
Another example is a man called Romell Broom, who raped and murdered a fourteen year old girl. This young girl was scarred and would have to relive these events everyday for the rest of her life. Imagine if you were a victim’s friends or relatives. Wouldn’t you want these people dead?
Well, no, because I wouldn't want to be part of a matter of huge hypocrisy. Yes, if someone I loved was brutally raped and murdered, I'd be devastated. Honestly, I couldn't think of many things I'd want less, but to wish death on the offender is hypocritical. What if the offender has family and friends? If he/she were put to death for his/her crime, that would mean another loss for another innocent family to deal with. Sure, they'd have been ashamed of their relative's crime, but that doesn't mean they deserve to lose a family member or friend.

Melodramaticfool:
There is no space left in prisons, because they are like a hotel; they have comfortable beds, televisions, pool tables, visiting hours, and college courses. Why should they get college courses for free, when non-criminals hve to pay large amounts of money?
There are actually very few prisons like that. I don't know where it talks about these prisons, but many many many prisons are still just a bed, a bit of exercise, food and water. As they should be. And as for the point about wasting the taxpayers' money, the death penalty costs a lot more than keeping someone in prison. There are things to be taken into account such as pre-trial motions, more solicitors being hired for defence, a comparable team for prosecution, more than one trial, not to mention the length of trials.

Melodramaticfool:
The main argument against capital punishment is that many mistakes have been made in the past. However, it is very difficult to make an error with all the technology and DNA forensic scientists are taking advantage of today. 0.1% of executions are mistakes. With recent DNA screening, 771 murder mysteries have been solved. With this technology, science is right 99.9% of the time.
I'm not sure if those percentage figures are hard evidence or just estimates, but that still leaves 0.1% room for error. Which still leaves a chance, no matter how small, of sentencing an innocent man or woman to death. And if you ask me, that's not worth the risk.

Melodramaticfool:
Finally, the bible states “thou shalt not kill,” but the bible contradicts itself all the way through. For instance, Genesis 1 and 2 disagree about the order in which things are created, and how satisfied God is about the results of his labours. Another example of this is a quote taken from the bible itself: “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” The bible clearly states in other places that all animals, plants and creatures are equal, so why should man have domination over the other species? The final example is another quote taken from two different versions of the bible, but about the same thing. “And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.” This version is saying that Jacob is the father of Joseph, whereas the other version says, “And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,” which means that Heli is the father of Joseph. How can anyone believe anything the bible says?
I agree, the bible does say a lot of things and contradicts itself. Still, I think you may be going off at a slight tangent with the verses about things other than murder. I'm for the separation of church and state though, so I agree with your point that the Bible shouldn't be brought into it. Each to their own though, about what they believe, whether it's the Bible or anything else.

Melodramaticfool:
In conclusion, others may have different opinions regarding capital punishment, and says the criminal has the right to live, but what about the victims? Themselves and loved ones were probably distraught with mental anguish. These selfish beasts violated their victim’s rights. Why should they have the right to survive? Back to the introduction: why shouldn’t they suffer in pain?
As I've said; we're violating human rights by using the death penalty. There are alternative methods. I say, thank God it's not legal.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 18th, 2010 at 05:58pm
Alexface.:
Well, if you ask me, they don't deserve to die because no one does. Everyone is entitled to their life at the moment they've popped out of the womb, and no one has the right to take that away from them. I find the death penalty hugely hypocritical. A person murders someone, and then the government say, you shall be put to death. They're supposedly serving justice, by advocating what the person did in the first place, which personally I find, quite frankly, puerile.

I disagree with the statement that no one deserves to die. You're right in that everyone deserves the right to life, but if you forcibly take that right from someone else, arent you forfeiting that same right? When you choose to murder someone, I would say that in doing so you are giving up your own right to life.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 18th, 2010 at 11:17pm
A good point until you realize that someone ELSE is taking that life from them, and making that choice. So, by that logic, does that not start a terrible chain of murder? I mean, those imposing that death sentence should also rightfully be killed, and then those who killed should be killed, and so forth.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 25th, 2010 at 09:19pm
It could be seen as a chain of murder. I guess it would come down to how people view the authority of those performing the executions.

I also think theres a difference between pre-meditated murder and executing someone because they are a danger to society. Whether that makes one ok and one unnacceptable, I dont know.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 26th, 2010 at 08:01am

How do you know that the person has committed the crime? What if you execute someone and 5 years later discover it was actually someone else?
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
February 26th, 2010 at 01:04pm
^ Exactly. The 'science is advanced' argument still doesn't work, because there is still room for error. And that small risk of an error isn't worth taking when there are innocent lives involved.
Kurt Coboner.
In the Cannibal Glow
Kurt Coboner.
March 6th, 2010 at 11:18am
in my opinion , i believe that the death sentence should not be used .

i think , that if a murder goes to jail , and is sentenced to die , that's it . they don't "suffer" or "learn" from what they've done wrong . obviously , you go to jail to be away from others , and so you think about what you've done . and if you're killed by those who imprisoned you , they're no better than the murderer .

i know alot of people have very diverse feeling and opinions on this , but i think that killing a person , has a bigger , worse effect on everyone .
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
March 6th, 2010 at 03:24pm
I would be in favor of the death penalty if not for the fact that most of the time it does nothing to curb crime rates.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 7th, 2010 at 04:21pm
Bjork:
I would be in favor of the death penalty if not for the fact that most of the time it does nothing to curb crime rates.

Thats a good point actually. Killing them does nothing. it wont stop anything.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 7th, 2010 at 05:50pm
John St. John:
Bjork:

Thats a good point actually. Killing them does nothing. it wont stop anything.
I feel like the opposite mindset is, "Yes, we have to remove them from society, but why pay taxes to keep them alive?"
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
March 7th, 2010 at 07:38pm
I'm really opposed to the death penalty.
It just goes back to human rights, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think anyone deserves to die, no matter what they've done. I mean, look at the people out there who commit crimes worthy of the death penalty, but aren't caught.