Don't have an account? Create one!

Plastic Surgery

AuthorMessage
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 1st, 2008 at 06:13pm
Personally, I think cosmetic plastic surgery is horrible (save for burn victims) and leaves the people it affects with strange, chemical bodies that look nothing like real bodies. I mean, nose jobs never look normal, neither does huge fish - collagen lips, neither do fake boobs. (real boobs look like tear drops, not basketballs in shape.) However, I do respect a person's choice. After all, I dye my hair all the time and plan on piercing and tattoos, so I can't exactly say that modifying your body is wrong. Still, something about plastic surgery disgusts me to the core and I personally plan on never getting it.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 1st, 2008 at 06:17pm
You guys are acting as if everyone who gets cosmetic surgery on a purely wanted basis ends up looking fake. It's not all extreme. People get nose jobs to remove lumps from broken noses, small brow lifts, a little bit fuller lips, etc. It's not black and white. There are people who've gotten it and you'd never know. =/

Just saying.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
August 1st, 2008 at 11:47pm
I think, if someone wants to alter themselves then let them do it.
No one really goes into it without realizing all the health risks, you could die, it could go wrong etc.

I wish I could have liposuction but I know the way better for me is to lose my excess weight.

Things like nose jobs and all that, like people have said before help them alot.
Like a bump in the nose that cuts off their breathing properly could be removed.
It also gives people a new outlook on life, feeling more confident in themselves.
So what if they wanna look fake? You're not them, accept their choices.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
August 2nd, 2008 at 12:22am
Now that I've had plastic surgery, and I've seen the different kinds of people who go and get those procedures done, my mind is much more open. My procedure was breast reduction, I had horrible back problems and to be quite honest, yes, I had self-esteem issues. I would see a picture of myself and it was all boobs. Now I have a much more natural size chest and my back pain is nowhere near as severe as it was. I literally feel like a new person! And of all the times I've been in my surgeon's office, I've seen only 2 people who were there for purely *cosmetic* procedures. Everyone else has been like me: they have something wrong with their bodies that cause pain and/or self esteem issues. People are so quick to judge but so slow to absorb the big picture.

If you would like to think less of me simply because I have had a "boob job" (albeit the opposite of the majority of those procedures), you miss the years of ridicule and torment my large breasts caused me. You miss the car accident that broke my back and left me in therapy, with constant back pain ever since made worse by my breasts. You miss me never being able to buy proper-fitting clothing, or being able to feel attractive to my husband as I was never able to purchase "sexy" clothing. So judge me, call me selfish, call me plastic, call me fake. But until you've been where I've been and dealt with what I have, you can sit on your throne of moral superiority while I finally, at 30, get to go out and enjoy my life.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 2nd, 2008 at 12:34am
Chris Martin:
You guys are acting as if everyone who gets cosmetic surgery on a purely wanted basis ends up looking fake. It's not all extreme.

Bert McCracken:
So what if they wanna look fake? You're not them, accept their choices.

psychochip:
So judge me, call me selfish, call me plastic, call me fake. But until you've been where I've been and dealt with what I have, you can sit on your throne of moral superiority while I finally, at 30, get to go out and enjoy my life.

I said I can respect a person's choice, even if they get plastic surgery. Meaning I accept their choices and so on, whatever. Let's not split hairs. I never said I was "morally superior" to people who did get plastic surgery. However, I do believe that getting plastic surgery most often ends up looking unnatural / artificial.

To the woman who states her problem with big breasts, the mocking and the back pain, I have been in your shoes in that instance. I never said the people themselves were fake or strange or disgusting. I said their bodies sometimes turn out to be. And I should verify - when I said plastic surgery disgusts me to the core, I meant the surgery itself. As in, the actual grinding down of people's nose cartilage, etc.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
August 2nd, 2008 at 06:39am
^^ To be fair, my post was not directed at you, Faye, nor anyone in particular. I usually preface my posts with that and this time I didn't, so please don't think I was attacking you. I do, however, stand by that general statement, as I have, since having the surgery, had someone look at me in disgust when I told them that I have had plastic surgery, even though I have explained my reasons. I hope and pray that person will never need the services of a plastic surgeon because I'm sure they wouldn't be able to live with themselves after.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 4th, 2008 at 11:04am
I understand some people wanting plastic surgey to get rid of scars from like burns and car accidents but just to get it, it makes no sence. I think that plastic surgert can get way out of hand when people don't look like themselves anymore they look plastic.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 4th, 2008 at 12:38pm
^ I don't really understand what those pictures are for, and I'm pretty sure that it can be consdired agianst the rules cause it doesn't really have anything to add to the discussion, though I must say they are kinda cool. But please don't post anymore, or post a link or something if you must.

But my aunt works for a plastic surgeon and she has had so much work done to herself (she gets a free surgery every year and also if the office is geting a new product they try it out on her or one of the other employees). In all honesty because of my aunt and the price slashes she can get for her family, most of the women in my family have gotten them. You might argue that it makes a person look fake, but in reality my aunt looks great, but you still kinda wonder what she would look like without it all. So for me personally its like a mask, it doesn't bother me but you just kinda wonder how the old them would look or whatever.

But in the self esteem part, i can relate, my aunt gave me some stuff to get rid of my freckles because ever since I was little I hated them and I wwas teased alot for many years, and I don't doubt my freckles were a factor. So I can understand why anyone would want to change something about themselves, it's to kinda get rid of that nagging vioce in your vioce that pionts out everything thats wrong. The only time I don't like surgery is when someone spends all their lifes savings for so many surgeries, like not just one or two, but like I think over 5 is alot. When someone gets so many surgeries (theres a women in my aunts office who has gotten over 14 surgeries and took out a second morgage on her house) then you start to realilze its not just about fixxing little things, its about sompletely changing themselves, and its just a mindset they get, or have that regardless how many surgeries they will never look ok.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
August 6th, 2008 at 01:04pm
Since it is INO, haven't Bob done something to his ears? (Dont know the term for it in english, tucked them in?) Maybe its just me...
(Not pulling it down to the level about him I'm reasoning around the fact that a lot of people one look up to prolly have done plastic surgery)
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:24pm
i would never get plastic surgery, your born who you are, why change that?
I think people just need to accept who they are and love who they are.

If i was disfigured or something then of course i would, but if not i dont see the point

It over priced, and you have to go through a lot of pain... for what? just so you look "better" or more perfect...

everyone is beautiful, it seems to me the people that are insecure are the ones who get surgery
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 8th, 2009 at 05:02pm
^ It's not necessarily just insecure people who get it. Otherwise that would apply to anything people did that changed their appearance, like makeup, clothing, lotion, whitening strips, tattoos, etc.

and same thing with being disfigured. if everyone is beautiful, and accepts themselves, why should they be any different?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 8th, 2009 at 05:54pm
^ Thats actually a good point, people tend to forget about tats and piercings, yet its still body modification like plastic surgery.

Personally, I really dont see the problem with people having plastic surgery to feel better about themselves, i know i i had the money id have a list of things to change.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 8th, 2009 at 07:14pm
^ Yup. I think the thing about plastic surgery is how it is associated with thinking you have a flaw and trying to fix it, whereas piercings and tattoos are more associated with decorating yourself, so to speak.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
May 8th, 2009 at 09:00pm
I don't have a problem with people who chose to do plastic surgery, since i am planning on piercing several parts of my body and getting at least one tattoo.

However. People who get severe boob jobs (and not psychochip's kind, the opposite, where they get enormous fake looking boobs) and people who get just cosmetic surgeries, when they look fine in the first place and are just striving to be just like TV models seem to be to be in the same category as anorexic and bulimic people.

They are injuring themselves (plastic surgery is risky, people have died on the table) so they can achieve a false standard of beauty, and I do believe they have some form of extreme self-esteem disorder, much like eating disorders.

On the other hand, some people have been horribly disfigured in car accidents and such, and they deserve the chance to rebuild both their faces and bodies, and their lives.

I am not saying that plastic surgery is unforgivable, or horrible, I just am saying that people who elect to have it done to them for purely cosmetic reasons should see a therapist before taking such a drastic step as changing their appearence surgically.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 8th, 2009 at 09:10pm
"I am not saying that plastic surgery is unforgivable, or horrible, I just am saying that people who elect to have it done to them for purely cosmetic reasons should see a therapist before taking such a drastic step as changing their appearence surgically."

But couldn't the same be said for body mods like tattoos and piercings?
Plastic surgery is relatively safe, although it is usually an "unnecessary" procedure.

But I agree; there are definitely some people who do want to change their entire bodies through plastic surgery, and I while I do think that some of those people would benefit more from therapy, in the end, it should be their choice.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
May 8th, 2009 at 09:13pm
the difference between tattoos and piercings and plastic surgery, in my mind, is the fact that piercings can be taken out, and tattoos can be hidden. You can't hide your new nose, or the facelift, or the boob job.

In an ideal world we would all love our bodies and never want to change anything. Sadly, this is not going to happen, and we just have to deal with what we have. If you pierce or tattoo yourself, that's making a statement to me. Sure, some tattoos are stupid, but new boobs? That doesn't send a message.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 8th, 2009 at 09:21pm
^ What if the tattoo was on your face, for example?
For the most part, cosmetic surgery is more subtle than tattooing and piercing, and while it would be harder (but not impossible) to hide, it is less noticeable as well.
I don't think that body mods all have to be about making a statement, it can just be about looking better, but that in itself is a message.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
May 8th, 2009 at 09:25pm
I feel that while plastic surgery is changing the foundation of your body, your actual bone structure and bra size, tattoos are on top of this foundation. You're inking something onto your skin, not grinding down nose cartilage or inflating your breasts.

I think there is a signifigant difference between the two forms of body modification.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
May 8th, 2009 at 09:26pm
and btw, face tattoos are stupid ideas in general.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 9th, 2009 at 09:16am
They are injuring themselves (plastic surgery is risky, people have died on the table) so they can achieve a false standard of beauty, and I do believe they have some form of extreme self-esteem disorder, much like eating disorders.

Piercings and Tattoos come with risks also..

You can't hide your new nose, or the facelift, or the boob job.

Why would you want to? After spending all that money to look better why on earth would you hide it away ?

In an ideal world we would all love our bodies and never want to change anything. Sadly, this is not going to happen, and we just have to deal with what we have. If you pierce or tattoo yourself, that's making a statement to me. Sure, some tattoos are stupid, but new boobs? That doesn't send a message.

What kind of statement does metal in your face send? Its all about looks.

But, it's not about sending a message, its about feeling better about yourself.