Don't have an account? Create one!

Plastic Surgery

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 10th, 2009 at 02:44am
Pavlove:
I think there is a signifigant difference between the two forms of body modification.
Uh, but it's the same principle.

Getting a tatt and getting cosmetic surgery are quite similar in the sense that you are permanently changing a part of your body (well, in actual fact, boob jobs are reversible. It's probably not highly recommended, but it's possible).

Yeah, skin may be "on top" of all the other stuff, but it's no less a part of your body than your boobs are. Your skin is an organ. I'm not against tatts at all, but trying to defend tattooing while slamming cosmetic surgery is quite hypercritical. People mainly get tattoos for personal reasons - they may like the look, they may want something symbolic on their body etc. They get tatts because they WANT to, because they most probably would like they way they look with tattoos. Some people may think they'll like the way they'll look with a new nose, or set of boobs.

The psychological machinations of deciding to get a tatt and deciding to get cosmetic surgery are pretty similar. You choose either operation for cosmetic reasons, or beauty reasons. Some people consider tattoos to be beautiful. Therefore, getting a tattoo to them is like making themselves more beautiful, they may see it as body art. Same principle in my opinion.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
May 10th, 2009 at 03:54am
I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm not against it.
Theres people (or women) who can't live with themselves, the way they are.
If your serious and if its what you really want, okay.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 13th, 2009 at 10:09am
I'm thinking about becoming a plastic surgeon. (:

I think it doesn't matter about why you're getting it, as long as you're sure it's what you want and you're not going to regret it in a few years time.
I don't see why people should judge anyone for wanting to look and feel better about themselves. I've never met someone who's always been
100% comfortable with their body, for all of their life.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
May 13th, 2009 at 12:46pm
I think there is a difference between plastic surgery and body mods such as tattoos and piercings.

Plastic surgery is generally changing a part of yourself that you don't like (breast augmentation, liposuction, rhinoplasty) which often leaves the underlying insecurity and issues with themsleves.

Tattoos are putting something on your body that you like, or means something to you, as in a memorial tattoo.

Of course plastic surgery has negative connatations, but it can also be helpful, such as skin grafts in the case og burn victims are essentially cosmetic, but those procedures are viewed in an entirely different way.

The person must understand why they want the procedure/body mod before they go with it. Often people get plastic surgery thinking it will make them happy. For example someone who is overweight getting liposuction/gastric band/bypass, thinking that once they are thin they will be happy, but the problems in their life wills till be there once they have lost weight.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 13th, 2009 at 02:59pm
^ I think I see what you mean: plastic surgery is usually from not being happy with your body, more of an emotional issue than a cosmetic issue, as is the case with piercings and tattoos.
But there have been many stories of people feeling better about themselves after plastic surgery, just because they think they look better. Sure, there are many people who want it out of insecurity, but even beyond extreme circumstances (deformities, for example), there are people who will feel better about the way they look after surgery.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 16th, 2009 at 04:23pm
questionable content:
^ It's not necessarily just insecure people who get it. Otherwise that would apply to anything people did that changed their appearance, like makeup, clothing, lotion, whitening strips, tattoos, etc.

and same thing with being disfigured. if everyone is beautiful, and accepts themselves, why should they be any different?

Make up, clothing, tattoos etc arent actually changing your actual body and doesnt involve going to a hospital!... things like make up etc. is fine as its not changing who you are, you can just take it all off and you'll still be you... unlike plastic surgery...

what im saying is your must really hate the way you look to put yourself through all the pain and spending way to much money on plastic surgery... if your happy in your own skin then you wouldnt even think of plastic surgery as it wouldnt be needed

its ok for disfigured people as they probably get stared at and have mean comments about the way they look unlike normal people who just get surgery to look "better"
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 16th, 2009 at 04:48pm
unlike normal people who just get surgery to look "better"

Exactly What tats and piercings are doen for! And yes, tattoes and piercings do change your actual body, the fact one is done in a hospitol and one is done in a parlour is irrelevant.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 16th, 2009 at 07:00pm
John St. John:

Exactly What tats and piercings are doen for! And yes, tattoes and piercings do change your actual body, the fact one is done in a hospitol and one is done in a parlour is irrelevant.

I mean oh just forget it. i give up!!!
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 16th, 2009 at 07:47pm
Oh don't get snappy.

This is the discussion forum, and guess what, I'm discussing.

Don't post here if your not prepared to be countered
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 17th, 2009 at 07:12am
ClaireBear016:
if your happy in your own skin then you wouldnt even think of plastic surgery as it wouldnt be needed
Yeah... and?

If people are unhappy in their skin, don't they have the right to do whatever they please to make themselves happy? If that means getting a boob job or nose job or ass implants, whatever - then who are you to judge if that's wrong or right?

It's their prerogative to have surgery if they wish to make themselves feel better.

And makeup and surgery are the same in terms of principle. People such as myself spend way too much money on cosmetics to make ourselves look prettier. Sure, at the end of the day you can scrub your makeup off. But if you're a continual user of cosmetics, you'll know after buying all the coverup, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush / bronzer, concealer, lipstick, lipgloss, primer, moisturiser, makeup brushes... it adds up to a hell of a lot.

The difference between someone who opts for cosmetic surgery and someone who uses cosmetics regularly is the fact that surgery is (somewhat) permanent, but makeup isn't. Both are used to make someone look 'better' than they think they are, and both take up a lot of money. They are more similar than people may want to realise.

If you advocate the use of cosmetics, then how can you be against cosmetic surgery? The principle is the same - making someone look better.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 07:42am
Mindfuck:
ClaireBear016:
if your happy in your own skin then you wouldnt even think of plastic surgery as it wouldnt be needed
Yeah... and?

If people are unhappy in their skin, don't they have the right to do whatever they please to make themselves happy? If that means getting a boob job or nose job or ass implants, whatever - then who are you to judge if that's wrong or right?

It's their prerogative to have surgery if they wish to make themselves feel better.

And makeup and surgery are the same in terms of principle. People such as myself spend way too much money on cosmetics to make ourselves look prettier. Sure, at the end of the day you can scrub your makeup off. But if you're a continual user of cosmetics, you'll know after buying all the coverup, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush / bronzer, concealer, lipstick, lipgloss, primer, moisturiser, makeup brushes... it adds up to a hell of a lot.

The difference between someone who opts for cosmetic surgery and someone who uses cosmetics regularly is the fact that surgery is (somewhat) permanent, but makeup isn't. Both are used to make someone look 'better' than they think they are, and both take up a lot of money. They are more similar than people may want to realise.

If you advocate the use of cosmetics, then how can you be against cosmetic surgery? The principle is the same - making someone look better.

Because make up isnt changing your actual body... yeh i see your point but surgery to me seems extreme.

Make up enhances your natural beauty while plastic surgery changes you.
Make up and surgery are completely different.

If someone is extremely unhappy with themselves then i guess it would be ok. but everyone needs to know when to stop, otherwise you end up looking completely un human like. Also to much surgery can age you more, example are celebs. I dont think its bad to have surgery but everyone need to have limits... i think docters should have boundaries to how much surgery one person can have. and stop people from looking fake from to much surgery

But also another thing is... what if it goes wrong? and the person doesnt like themselves even more because of it... if they were unhappy about themselves in the first place then that would be terrible.

I just think this world is to hooked up on just what people look like... and surgery has helped that. now people can try to be perfect when they already are... they just themselves differently. Like i know one person who to me and everyone else was beautiful yet they got surgery and it completely took away their natural beauty and looked worse than if they didnt get it... people always have a different view on how they look to others. so i think on that its bad to decide on something like having surgery.

i didnt mean to sound snappy earlier, just no one understands my point of view which honestly frustrates me.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 07:44am
John St. John:

With tattoos you can get them removed and with piercings they can heal
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2009 at 01:15pm
ClaireBear016:

Isn't enhancing your natural beauty also changing the way you look, and plastic surgery enhancing your natural beauty?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 17th, 2009 at 03:26pm
ClaireBear016:

Plastic surgery often can be reversed, with some obvious exceptions, but then if your willing to spend your own money then I dont see a problem.

And by the way, I get your point of view, I just have a different one.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 03:37pm
questionable content:
ClaireBear016:

Isn't enhancing your natural beauty also changing the way you look, and plastic surgery enhancing your natural beauty?

Yar but both in different ways

Make up your just putting something on your face which can be removed... yet surgery your changing your body completely so isnt your natural beauty, its fake
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 03:39pm
John St. John:
ClaireBear016:

Plastic surgery often can be reversed, with some obvious exceptions, but then if your willing to spend your own money then I dont see a problem.

And by the way, I get your point of view, I just have a different one.

What plastic surgery can be reversed?

And oh okay good good lol
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2009 at 04:27pm
ClaireBear016:

Yar but both in different ways

Make up your just putting something on your face which can be removed... yet surgery your changing your body completely so isnt your natural beauty, its fake

I see what you mean by makeup is removable, but plastic surgery is not completely reversible, but with makeup, it's not your natural beauty, it's not your natural face. It's still fake in the same way plastic surgery is.
For example, some people get cheek implants. In theater and movies, sometimes people put on makeup so that their cheeks are more prominent and raised (think John Travolta in Hairspray). Isn't that the same idea, beauty that isn't what you are born with?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 17th, 2009 at 04:34pm
not all plastic surgery is fake looking. I think you're concentrating too much on people like Jordan or Pamela Anderson or even Michael Jackson.

These are just some examples I found on a basic google search but I'm certain there are many more effective examples. I personally don't think any of these people look fake.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
May 17th, 2009 at 07:15pm
When someone makes a decision to have cosmetic surgery, they should do it because they want to- not because they feel as if they *need* to in order to be accepted. As long is someone is doing it for the right reasons, then who is anyone to tell a person what they can and cannot do to their body?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2009 at 08:23pm
"As long is someone is doing it for the right reasons, then who is anyone to tell a person what they can and cannot do to their body?

But even if they are doing it for the "wrong" reasons, why should anyone be able to tell them what they can do to their body?