Don't have an account? Create one!

Plastic Surgery

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 17th, 2009 at 08:59pm
People have (and should have) the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies, and the person performing any type of procedure, whether it be surgical, piercing/tattooing, hair perming/coloring/straightening, should be qualified and take all proper precautions to ensure the safety of their patient/client. Unfortunately, that is not always the case, and patients simply seeking to feel a bit better about themselves can wind up injured or dead. In the case of any surgery, whether it be major or minor, cosmetic or medically necessary, there is always risk involved - that's why the patient has to sign a waiver. I'm sure the number of catastrophes is lower than that of the successes, but it is important that people fully understand that they need to research, and that there IS a possibility that something could go wrong.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
May 17th, 2009 at 09:45pm
questionable content:
"As long is someone is doing it for the right reasons, then who is anyone to tell a person what they can and cannot do to their body?

But even if they are doing it for the "wrong" reasons, why should anyone be able to tell them what they can do to their body?
By "wrong reasons" I meant someone with an unhealthy obsession with plastic surgery- it's a mental illness, but I don't remember what it's called. Sorry Sad
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 17th, 2009 at 11:05pm
ClaireBear016:
If someone is extremely unhappy with themselves then i guess it would be ok. but everyone needs to know when to stop, otherwise you end up looking completely un human like. Also to much surgery can age you more, example are celebs. I dont think its bad to have surgery but everyone need to have limits... i think docters should have boundaries to how much surgery one person can have. and stop people from looking fake from to much surgery
I disagree. I don't think anyone should have a place telling people when they should stop having surgery. I don't like the plastic look some people get with a lot of surgeries, but as I said before - that's their prerogative. If they want to look like that, who am I to judge? If they want to spend thousands on boob jobs, nose jobs, liposuction, facelifts, implants - let them go right ahead. They've obviously been to enough plastic surgeons to know what it's about.

It seems to me that you're morally opposed to people getting what you think is "too much" surgery. Theoretically, there isn't an official "too much surgery" mark because everyone has different standards. Some will never have surgery, some might have a nose job or implants here or there, some people will have countless surgeries etc. And some people will completely change their appearance so they're unrecognizable.

ClaireBear016:
But also another thing is... what if it goes wrong? and the person doesnt like themselves even more because of it... if they were unhappy about themselves in the first place then that would be terrible.
If it goes wrong, then it goes wrong. People who have surgeries of this nature should be aware of what can go wrong. That goes for any surgery you have, cosmetic or otherwise.

If the person is not satisfied with the outcome, then they need to take it up with the cosmetic surgeon who did the surgery. If they come to the realization that they don't feel any better after the surgery, then they have to live with that. If the surgery was botched or ruined, then it's then a legal case and they can probably get some form of compensation.

The person having the surgery needs to be aware of all the possibilities. If you're going into cosmetic surgery with no knowledge of what could go wrong, or with little knowledge of the doctor performing and his/her credentials, or you're going into it without out giving much thought - then you're a fool.

ClaireBear016:
I just think this world is to hooked up on just what people look like... and surgery has helped that. now people can try to be perfect when they already are... they just themselves differently. Like i know one person who to me and everyone else was beautiful yet they got surgery and it completely took away their natural beauty and looked worse than if they didnt get it... people always have a different view on how they look to others. so i think on that its bad to decide on something like having surgery.
How many people go on to get cosmetic surgery, though? For their vanity? To be honest, I personally only know one person who's had any type of cosmetic surgery and that was for a boob reduction. Most people I know wouldn't get major cosmetic surgery, let alone to the "extreme".

I think we live in a world that is so focused on what celebrities are doing and what surgery they're having done etc., that we think cosmetic surgery is normal. It's not really normal. Normal people don't usually get extreme cosmetic surgery, like some celebrities seem to. Most normal folk probably wouldn't have the money or time to put themselves through a lot of surgeries for their vanity.

ClaireBear016:
i didnt mean to sound snappy earlier, just no one understands my point of view which honestly frustrates me.
It's not that we don't understand your point of view, it's that we just disagree with it. Shifty2
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
May 23rd, 2009 at 04:38am
Mindfuck:
If people are unhappy in their skin, don't they have the right to do whatever they please to make themselves happy? If that means getting a boob job or nose job or ass implants, whatever - then who are you to judge if that's wrong or right?

Yes. As long as you feel unhappy about yourself and a surgery would actually make you feel better, I don't think its wrong. If you're satisfied after the surgery, as long it's what you want.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 23rd, 2009 at 05:04pm
What plastic surgery can be reversed?

Breat augmentation for one, and many other plastic surgeries can be fixed if anything does happen to go wrong.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
May 24th, 2009 at 12:33am
For me, Plastic surgery is weird.My aint works for a plastic surgeon and is actually gonna be in her practices new reality tv show . I see and hear of her clinic helping save breat cancer patients lives, or to help fix a person in an accident, and to me thats completely amazing.

But then I see these girls that have such a poor self esteem and image that they completely have themselves redone to look ideal. I was watching Intervention and there was some lady on there who was a shopaholic. the only way she felt good about herself was after she bought a new 200 dollar handbag or got another platic surgery, the way she afforded them was by straling her moms identity. I don't even want to get into how wrong that is, but honestly some of the things these people do to look better is repulsive.

It honestly would be a good idea if before a person got a plastic surgery they had to get a mental evalution or something, to help with self esteem and image. Now would that honestly happen? no, people just want money, but its completely ridiculous some of these people
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 24th, 2009 at 03:29pm
There's two words I've seen crop up alot in this discussion. I have to question them.
What is Beauty?
What is Normal?

Beauty, is within the eye of the beholder. There are some people that will look at me and go, "wow your so beautiful" and there are other people who will look at me and go "only your mother could love your face"
I'm not going to comment on my personal opinions of my appearance, but from many years of being picked on because of the way I look I've noticed that generally, the stuff you don't like is because everyone else has said its unattractive. But what if people never mentioned it, I wonder how many surgery's would be greatly reduced because no-one would ever think about it.
They're unhappy. Through someone else's opinion. And unfortunately that won't change.
I did want to say maybe there should be some phycological assessment as to weather people should get body modifications. But who's to really say who should and shouldn't get it done? Who really has the right to judge. I saw a programme once that featured a fifty year old woman who didn't look a day over 21! All because of cosmetic procedures. Personally it's not something I'd opt for but it made her happy, and you could see it did. If people want it that badly, they'll re-morgage their house!
And how many people have said they don't like the "fake" look? I don't really like the Living Barbie look either, but some people do. I adore the look of tattooed skin, beautiful exotic designs that weave themselves around the body. I think its beautiful. But there are certainly people who look at that and hate it, and I'm sure many of you probably love the look of it as much as I do. The fact is we don't have much right to complain about plastic surgery then, because the people who get that probably don't understand why people choose to shove bars of metal under there skin, or through their face, and the fact that people inject ink into themselves probably disgusts them.
I think, ever person has their own canvas -their body- and through clothing, hair, makeup, piercing, tattoo's, cosmetic surgery, bags, shoes and whatever else, each person has the right to decorate themselves and show the world who they are.
SingerOfSorrows
Killjoy
SingerOfSorrows
May 24th, 2009 at 08:35pm
personally, i do agree that people go above the top with plastic surgery..and honestly some people that get it done did NOT need it in the first place.
however, i disagree in that - if a person's appearance is causing them emotional distress.. not just that they "don't like it"...but to the point that they are depressed and/or suicidal, i believe that they should be able to fix whatever the problem is - even though it will not solve the problem entirely.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 24th, 2009 at 09:01pm
bellamurte:
The fact is we don't have much right to complain about plastic surgery then, because the people who get that probably don't understand why people choose to shove bars of metal under there skin, or through their face, and the fact that people inject ink into themselves probably disgusts them.
So you're saying that people who get plastic surgery would turn up their noses at tattooing? I think that's insulting. There isn't a division between people who get plastic surgery and people who get tattoos. There are people who get both. Not everyone who gets plastic surgery hates tattoos or doesn't understand it.

And not all of us here are the same. I can't say I like tattoo sleeves and all-over-body tattoos. I think it's very unattractive, esp. on women. Sorry, you can't group us into one basket. Shifty2
KAT0123
Killjoy
KAT0123
May 26th, 2009 at 02:36am
People should decide for themselves. It's such a personal decision and everyone has different reasons that it's hard to lump all into a right or wrong category. For instance, a lot of people that are against plastic surgery find nothing wrong with it if the person was born with a mutation and they just want to look normal. What if the mutation gives the person an evolutionary advantage but makes them look "weird "(like having four perfectly functioning nipples)? What if a girl was judged so unattractive by her classmates, that the boys ran at the sight of her shadow? Say she wanted to get surgery so she can be accepted and finally have some peace, both emotionally and mentally, who are we to judge what is right or wrong for her? At some point in the lives of people who got PS, they were made to feel inadequate or not good enough because of a physical feature. Even though many of them look fine to us before the surgery, we cannot personally feel their pain and humilitation for them when they were teased, nor can we feel their bliss of finally looking the way they want after the procedure. To do good, we can only love them and accept them.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 27th, 2009 at 11:10pm
I think its okay to get plastic surgery done, and if someone wants it then they should have it, its their choice to make. I wouldn't ever encourage someone to get it done though because i think a lot of the people that have plastic surgery are trying to make themselves perfect, and theres obviously an underlying problem that surgery won't be able to fix there. However, i might encourage someone who has mutations, gotten in a car accident, etc., to get it done because, lets face it, they arent going to be able to go places in life as far as careers and just generally being in public are concerned, if have of their face is covered in scars.
dreamerforever
Salute You in Your Grave
dreamerforever
May 30th, 2009 at 04:11pm
Sure, people are free to do what they want to their bodies, but they have to be aware of the consequences of the surgery or surgeries that they're going to have.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 1st, 2009 at 06:03pm
^^The doctor performing the surgery has to ensure that the patient knows that, its discussed at great length before the patient is allowed to sign .
iheartthrobsy
Killjoy
iheartthrobsy
June 30th, 2009 at 02:29am
if you're not happy with your appearance and you have the money to do it than why not? it's your choice..

i don't think it's being vain wanting to improve your appearance, and if improving your appearance makes you happier within yourself and more confident then why not?

obviously there are risks and some people go too far, this i don't agree with, people need to know the risks and need to know when to stop. probably easier said then done for some people though.

i wouldnt judge harshly anyone that had had plastic surgery if it's done with good intentions.
Amy Farrah Fowler
In The Murder Scene
Amy Farrah Fowler
January 27th, 2010 at 09:21pm
I have absolutely nothing against someone who has been in an accident having plastic surgery.

I've actually had plastic surgery. The summer before last, I've had a breast reduction. It is something that takes a lot of thought, and can't be done "today in the office". There are multiple checkups before and after the surgery.

My surgery was partially for physical health, and partially for vanity. Of course, my back was killing me. And then of course, for vanity. Large breasts may appear attractive in the media, but trust me, gravity still exists there.

Anyways, the point is, I was not comfortable with my own body, which I think everyone should be. There are, of course, some things we can't change, and must learn to live with. But if you can change something for the better, why not do it?
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
January 29th, 2010 at 09:43pm
I don't have anything against plastic surgery. If you have a low self esteem, and you think changing certain things about your appearance will make you feel better, then I'd say go for it. Everyone should be comfortable with their own body. And if they want to have plastic surgery, let them. It's their choice.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
January 30th, 2010 at 01:55am
I personally would love a nose job someday, despite the fact that it's a "family trait" to have this nose. The only reason I'd consider it is because I honestly feel self-conscious about it at times.
But I think the "limit" of plastic surgery is when it's affecting one's health. In all honestly, though, it's not anyone's business to worry about someone else's plastic surgery unless it is becoming detrimental to their financial or physical well-being.
Like someone said before, it IS an addiction.
I mean, if someone can financially afford to do this, then that's their call.

Also, it's not all about fake/plastic/vain reasons, plastic surgeons have done amazing work on people born with birth defects or who have been in serious accidents.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 30th, 2010 at 08:59am

It's all fine and well to say "I hate plastic surgery, it shouldn't be allowed! etc." but until you're in a situation where you feel that plastic surgery could help you emotionally, you wouldn't understand. No, I have not had plastic surgery, I do not plan on having it, but I don't think it should be viewed as such a negative thing.
What if you had a slightly crooked nose that was crippling in social situations. On dates you would be trying to hide it, you hate taking photos with friends because you can't help comparing, you wouldn't dare take a job that involves interacting with people because of your insecurity.
Yes, there is the solution of therapy, but plastic surgery is another solution. With an operation you can have the nose corrected, have a chance to find a loving relationship, finally have fun with friends and take any job you wanted.
I think people look a lot at plastic surgery in its physical form, but not looking at the emotional impact it can have on people. Some people don't want multiple breast enlargements and nose jobs, they want simple procedures to quietly correct things they may loathe about themselves.
I remember reading about a girl who simply had her ears pinned back, and cried when she looked in the mirror because of how happy she was. I think people forget how emotionally it can help people.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 30th, 2010 at 06:03pm
An argument could very well be made that you should solve the root of the issue (i.e., your nose causing you serious anxiety issues), rather than just fixing what's on the surface, because if you don't, you'll always have something.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
January 31st, 2010 at 01:33pm
I find that as soon as someone mentions plastic surgery, everyone seems to automatically think of people like Jordan, or Pete Burns, But really when most people opt to have plastic surgery have one adjustment made. There not all out to change everything about themselves.