Don't have an account? Create one!

Plastic Surgery

AuthorMessage
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 12th, 2007 at 03:19am
But where does one draw the line at 'you need it' or 'you don't need it'? You can't regulate that kind of decision because every single person, case and circumstance is different.
Sure, people can sometimes go way overboard with cosmetic surgery, but doctors can't refuse unless there's a medical reason it can't be done - and you see a lot cases where, especially when a surgery's been botched, no further surgery can be done because their face or whatever is just beyond repair.
People should undergo intense therapy and counselling before considering surgery, and I believe that it's mandatory to have consultations of that nature to determine that there is a real reason behind it, not just 'Oh I want it because I can'. Unfortunately, for some people, therapy does not improve their self-image and surgery can be a way of giving them self-esteem they would never have achieved otherwise - psychologists and psychiatrists are not there to brainwash us into loving ourselves the way we are, and sometimes they can do little to help a person in that respect.
I figure if a person has been extremely self-conscious of some part of their body for years, and she's looked at every other option (including therapy), and is willing to pay good money for the surgery, then go ahead - it's your life, and the service is there for those who want it.

I personally would love to get a few little bits and pieces fixed up - overall I'm quite content with the body I was given, but there are some things like genetics that diet and exercise can't fix, and I feel very self-conscious about them. Hell, I'd looove to get Botox to fix the huge crack running across my forehead - no amount of eating right or going to the gym is going to get rid of my big-ass frown line, and I wear a big fat emo fringe to cover it. In fact, one of my main problems (and this is probably not for the faint-of-heart, seeing as it's to do with things below the belt: your decision to read on is at your own risk) is in my pants - I would adore a labiaplasty because, not only is it a psychological problem (feeling very self-conscious of it, I feel it's downright ugly), it's a physical problem - it makes intimacy with my partner uncomfortable (sometimes even downright painful) and I have trouble wearing tight underwear or tight jeans without feeling a lot of discomfort. I know that the physical problem cannot be fixed by any means other than surgery, and I know that I will have to live with it for a while longer - at the very least until my baby is born, because apart from going under the knife while pregnant (anaesthesia is dangerous, etc), I don't know how it would affect the birth. And then there is the issue of saving the money - it's going to cost thousands of dollars because it's not a life-threatening problem, and I'm not in the position to go throwing cash around like a billionaire.
It makes me sad, and I worry, but if I ever got the opportunity to get it fixed, I'd jump at the chance.

And by the way, the people who have commented on ' There are people in hospitals who are actually suffering from illnesses and are eventually going to die. Why do doctors have to waste their time fixing some stupid person's face because they think they're ugly or fat?', be aware that plastic/cosmetic surgeons are a separate group of doctors than the ones who fix our 'ills'. They are only qualified to conduct COSMETIC surgery, they're not brain or heart surgeons, and these patients are usually resting up in clinics just for plastic surgery, so they're not taking doctors or hospital beds off genuinely ill people.
nick_eats_babies
Killjoy
nick_eats_babies
February 12th, 2007 at 03:39am
personally i think its stupid, anyone that feels they need to change there outer appearance to feel good about themselves doesnt deserve anything at all. you were given what you got, so live with it happily, right?
blackaisten
Motor Baby
blackaisten
February 12th, 2007 at 04:33am
I can't say i would never do it, cause i don't know how i feel in like about 30 years, or so. BUt right now i just think it's stupid, and i on't even want to think about getting a cosmetic surgery.
Macabre.
Killjoy
Macabre.
February 12th, 2007 at 06:45am
I think that plastic surgery isn't bad,but only when it's really need <e.g. you have big scar or something like that>..But in my opinion cosmetic surgery is stupid-i think that people should accept themselves as they are Smile
masquerage
Killjoy
masquerage
February 12th, 2007 at 10:42am
i think getting plastic surgery is just messed up.
y would u want to mess with how god built u?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 12th, 2007 at 02:55pm
I agree completely with Cigarettes and Suicide. If bigger breasts or a smaller nose will make someone happy, or at least more comfortable with themself, who am I to tell them they can't have cosmetic surgery? If, say, a woman feels that she can only be accepted and loved if her nose is tiny and straight, well, that's a problem with her and with society. She should probably go to therapy. But if she comes out of that loving herself and still wanting a nose job, that's (forgive the expression) no skin off my nose.
the used.
In The Murder Scene
the used.
February 12th, 2007 at 05:01pm
I think that any human being should be proud of them selves.
They should be grateful for the body that the Lord gave them.
(Not trying to save you all, but hey, SOMEONE created us).
AnyWAY, if people look in the mirror and don't like what they see, then it's up to them to make a change.
If they want to go under the knife, then okay.
Fine with me. I couldn't care less.
But I can admit that when I look in the mirror, I'm not satisfied with the WAY the I look.
I've reseantly started exercising, which helps.
All of my live, I have been a bit chubby. With love handles and a jelly belly tummy.

You're beautiful, no matter what. Remember that
when jess was young.
Shotgun Sinner
when jess was young.
February 12th, 2007 at 05:05pm
Sure, some people probably don't like certain things about themselves. Of all people I would know, but I think plastic surgery is just horrible. Just because you don't look like Angelina Jolie doesn't mean you're not beautiful!
I'm against it.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 12th, 2007 at 11:49pm
I have a big scar on my face that I wouldn't screw with, I admit I kind of like it (although I have never come across anybody who's made fun of me or called me stupid things like 'Scarface' because of it, so it's never been an issue)...
But there are certain things about my body that are caused by genetics, that given the chance I would definitely change, because diet and exercise will never make an impact on it.

I just think people should open their minds a little more to the subject, rather than just saying, 'Learn to love yourself and the body God gave you', because it may be all well and good for you to have accepted your body the way it is, but some people just, well, can't. And it doesn't make them selfish, it doesn't make them stupid or vain, it just means that they are unable to be content with themselves and that's a sad position to be in. Like I said before, therapy's a good idea, but sometimes it doesn't help, and the cosmetic surgeons are there to help those who need it or want it, so if it can boost their self-esteem, I say go for it!!
Ragdoll_Physics
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Ragdoll_Physics
February 13th, 2007 at 03:03am
I say people should have the freedom to get plastic surgery if they wanted to but they really should do a lot of research about what could happen and what has happened to people from getting plastic surgery before they do it. I am not happy with things about my body but I don't think I would ever go so far as surgery to change the things I don't like about myself. People sometimes say they want to get plastic surgery to help them with their self asteem issues I beleive that plastic surgery can't solve your self asteem issues but it may help you feel a little bit better about yourself but ulltimitly the only thing that can help you is your self when it comes to self asteem. So people just need to try and be happy with how they are because if you don't accept your self before surgery eventually after the surgery you still wont be happy this doesn't apply to everyone but this is how it ends up for a lot of people.
Gerard Arthur Way.
Demolition Lover
Gerard Arthur Way.
February 13th, 2007 at 05:54am
I think it's stupid
KendallSaurusxxx
Killjoy
KendallSaurusxxx
February 13th, 2007 at 08:54pm
I'm only partly for it because Jeffree Fucking Star pulled it off.
I think if a tranvestite wants surgery done, they should get it .

BUTTTTTT . . . .
to get boobs and lypo . . . thats fucking stupid. You don't need that shit. Its just gross. Be yourself . . .
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 13th, 2007 at 09:02pm
i personally think pastic surgery is wrong and bad unless you really need it like if something in your body is messed up like your ears or something!but the reason i say plastic surgery is wrong is because its like changing your face NO!it i changing your body!Shouldnt you stick with the face you were born with the body you were born with!!i mean like i said unless you seriously need it cause of something serious!!
Odalisque
Always Born a Crime
Odalisque
February 15th, 2007 at 10:43am
I look at it this way: If it's not broken, don't fix it!
It's a little harsh.
But honestly.
tornpantyhose
Killjoy
tornpantyhose
February 15th, 2007 at 10:53am
I think I had a very different response to this topic before my mother had her breast reduction. I felt like cosmetic surgery was petty and vain. I didn't see the point in trying so hard to make yourself more appealing to society, when if you're a good person, your beauty will shine through to the people who matter most.

Then my mom decided that she no longer wanted to bear the burden of a size G chest. To see how happy she is now and to see how it gave her that extra little bounce in her step that I havn't seen since I was a kid was amazing. The surgery made my mother a better person, and I never thought that could happen with cosmetic surgery.

I think cosmetic surgery is what you make of it. It can either be a pointless addiction of the weak willed and simple minded to fix any little flaw they feel they have rather than working on simply exuding the confidence of someone who feels good about themselves, or it can be that extra little something someone needs to remind themselves that they are a beautiful person.

I don't know if that made any sense or not since I'm often more articulate in person, but hey, I tried.
clumsy heart.
Banned
clumsy heart.
February 15th, 2007 at 12:15pm
I think people should learn to love themselfs and what they got.
beauty is more of a self image and self esteem.

anyone is beautiful with confidence and a smile. Very Happy

ahah that was so corny.
acciomcr
Killjoy
acciomcr
February 15th, 2007 at 03:00pm
I've had surgery to fix something i was born with but i think thats justified. I say if someone can look at you and see your nose or ears or whatever before they actually listen to what your saying, then it's affecting who you are and that's fine. But if the only one who's bothered is you then maybe you should think twice Razz
cheateDXHearts
Killjoy
cheateDXHearts
March 3rd, 2007 at 12:56pm
Plastic surgery is for YUCKY people!!!!! God gave you your body how it is now keep it like that.
mcr_lover_duvna
Killjoy
mcr_lover_duvna
March 3rd, 2007 at 10:17pm
tornpantyhose:
I think I had a very different response to this topic before my mother had her breast reduction. I felt like cosmetic surgery was petty and vain. I didn't see the point in trying so hard to make yourself more appealing to society, when if you're a good person, your beauty will shine through to the people who matter most.

Then my mom decided that she no longer wanted to bear the burden of a size G chest. To see how happy she is now and to see how it gave her that extra little bounce in her step that I havn't seen since I was a kid was amazing. The surgery made my mother a better person, and I never thought that could happen with cosmetic surgery.

I think cosmetic surgery is what you make of it. It can either be a pointless addiction of the weak willed and simple minded to fix any little flaw they feel they have rather than working on simply exuding the confidence of someone who feels good about themselves, or it can be that extra little something someone needs to remind themselves that they are a beautiful person.

I don't know if that made any sense or not since I'm often more articulate in person, but hey, I tried.

Over the last couple of years Ive been thinking about the same procedure. Ive seen how it can affect some people. I feel that when Im talking to guys and people the first thing they notice is my FF chest and im only 17 but its something I would seriously consider when Im older. It would help me feel more confident that people are talking to me and not my chest which I get a lot.
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
March 3rd, 2007 at 10:20pm
I would only ever see a need in plastic surgery if the patients face was disfigured from a crash or something similar.
Otherwise, you should be happy with your body.
But then again, it's not that easy.