Don't have an account? Create one!

Animal Testing/Abuse/cruelty

AuthorMessage
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 6th, 2008 at 02:13pm
Eponine:

My cat is on a vegetarian diet. All the other foods that have meat in them, she is extremely allergic to. She gets painful sores in her mouth and her lips puff up. So I don't think it's cruel to put my cat on a special diet. She still gets the same nutrients. With the amino acid, I'm sure they put that into the food. I don't believe that there are any amino acids that you can only get from meat, but I'm not sure about that.
I did a science report on vegeterian diets compared to non-vegeterian, and there are things called complete protiens and incomplete protiens there is alot of portien in animal chow and amino acids, an din all honesty because of the way America runs today, if the dog food companies didn't put all of that good stuff in thier food, the amino acids, the protiens, then that company probably won't get on the grocery store shelfs or get sold, e have so many options so I think animals are fine
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
August 6th, 2008 at 02:50pm
Eponine:
^Proteins aren't only found in meat. So it's perfectly fine to feed a mostly grain food to a dog. They are still getting plenty of nutrients.

My cat is on a vegetarian diet. All the other foods that have meat in them, she is extremely allergic to. She gets painful sores in her mouth and her lips puff up. So I don't think it's cruel to put my cat on a special diet. She still gets the same nutrients. With the amino acid, I'm sure they put that into the food. I don't believe that there are any amino acids that you can only get from meat, but I'm not sure about that.

I know proteins aren't just found in meat, and if your cat needs a special diet then that is fair enough, it needs it, I don't think that is cruel.

For Cats at least, they can only get that amino acid from meat. We would need that amino acid to sue in our body too, but we can have a vegetarian diet, because our bodies are capable of breaking down other amino acids and building it for ourselves. Cat's can't do that for Taurine and must have it from meat. Although I would be interested how that is gotten around in your cat's diet? Does it have supplements or something from the vet?

You don't have to believe me, but that's what I was taught at college, what I researched for assignments, and I don't why my college would lie to me? hehe

It's like most animals are capable of making a lot of the vitamin C they need in their own bodies, but humans (and I think other primates) and guinea pigs aren't capable of doing that, so we have to have foods that supply us with it all the time.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 03:09pm
Firegarder:

For Cats at least, they can only get that amino acid from meat. We would need that amino acid to sue in our body too, but we can have a vegetarian diet, because our bodies are capable of breaking down other amino acids and building it for ourselves. Cat's can't do that for Taurine and must have it from meat. Although I would be interested how that is gotten around in your cat's diet? Does it have supplements or something from the vet?

Well alright, I didn't know that. I went and looked and Taurine is listed in the ingredients. I don't think a vet would recommend that food if it didn't give my cat the right nutrients.
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 04:00pm
I understand that not all proteins come from meat. However, grains are composed mostly of complex carbohydrates. They also contain b-vitamins, fiber and some protein.

Dogs and cats don't require grains in their diet. Grains are less easy for them to digest. It's also been shown in many professional vet journals that some immunities and allergies may be from too much grain.

I had a cat that was allergic to most protein sources too - he was put on a special veterinary diet, with other protein sources - rabbit, duck and venison. He did great on it. Without it, he couldn't keep his food down long enough to get any nutrition from it at all.

Maybe some people find it cruel to feed animals to our animals. But what do wild canine and feline diets consist mostly of? Meat. Mostly. Not entirely.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 04:31pm
Ierosistible:
Dogs and cats don't require grains in their diet. Grains are less easy for them to digest. It's also been shown in many professional vet journals that some immunities and allergies may be from too much grain.

True, but if all those pet foods that have grains where so horribly bad for animals, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

I had a cat that was allergic to most protein sources too - he was put on a special veterinary diet, with other protein sources - rabbit, duck and venison. He did great on it. Without it, he couldn't keep his food down long enough to get any nutrition from it at all.

I tried all different types of food for her, including rabbit, duck, and venison ones, none of them worked. So she's on a vegetarian diet, she's happy and healthy and that's all that matters to me. I get very offended when people say that I'm being cruel by having her on a vegetarian diet, my vet highly recommended it and she still gets all the nutrients she needs.

Maybe some people find it cruel to feed animals to our animals. But what do wild canine and feline diets consist mostly of? Meat. Mostly. Not entirely.

I don't find it cruel, it's natural for them and most cats and dogs are fine like that.
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 09:01pm
Eponine:

True, but if all those pet foods that have grains where so horribly bad for animals, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

Absolutely not true. There are plenty of things that are sold that are horribly bad for animals as well as humans, including pet food. Rawhides are dangerous - they sell them. Tea tree oil is sold as a first aid remedy - it's highly, highly toxic to cats. The pet food industry is not regulated like it should be. If it were, "by-products" wouldn't be in there, all the scraps that are unfit for any consumption whatsoever.

I also didn't say "no grains at all" - what I'm talking about is the huge percentage of grain vs. better protein sources. Look at most pet food labels - the first, and therefore main, ingredient is usually some sort of grain, like corn. Corn's a really big one. By-products are often next.

I tried all different types of food for her, including rabbit, duck, and venison ones, none of them worked. So she's on a vegetarian diet, she's happy and healthy and that's all that matters to me. I get very offended when people say that I'm being cruel by having her on a vegetarian diet, my vet highly recommended it and she still gets all the nutrients she needs.

I hope you're not saying that I said it was cruel. I didn't. It's not what would be a natural diet for them - but I never implied cruel. If that's what works, that's awesome. Healthy is the most important thing, after all.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 10:27pm
Ierosistible:
Absolutely not true. There are plenty of things that are sold that are horribly bad for animals as well as humans, including pet food. Rawhides are dangerous - they sell them. Tea tree oil is sold as a first aid remedy - it's highly, highly toxic to cats. The pet food industry is not regulated like it should be. If it were, "by-products" wouldn't be in there, all the scraps that are unfit for any consumption whatsoever.

I also didn't say "no grains at all" - what I'm talking about is the huge percentage of grain vs. better protein sources. Look at most pet food labels - the first, and therefore main, ingredient is usually some sort of grain, like corn. Corn's a really big one. By-products are often next.

Well alright then, I didn't know any of this.

I hope you're not saying that I said it was cruel. I didn't. It's not what would be a natural diet for them - but I never implied cruel. If that's what works, that's awesome. Healthy is the most important thing, after all.

No I didn't mean you, someone else implied that it was cruel and others have said that to me in real life.
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 7th, 2008 at 08:27am
Eponine:

No I didn't mean you, someone else implied that it was cruel and others have said that to me in real life.

That is very not cool. People are rude. I hope you told them off. I think doing what you can to keep your kitty healthy shows tremendous love, not cruelty.

I wonder if anyone else here has heard anything about a very large pet food manufacturer (not sure if we're allowed to say the company name, are we?) and testing of their dental diet? I read they are inducing gingivitis by cutting and suturing the gums of a number of dogs so that they can then test the effectiveness of their dental diet? I also read they test on chicks. This disturbs me greatly.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 7th, 2008 at 08:32am
Ierosistible:

I wonder if anyone else here has heard anything about a very large pet food manufacturer (not sure if we're allowed to say the company name, are we?) and testing of their dental diet? I read they are inducing gingivitis by cutting and suturing the gums of a number of dogs so that they can then test the effectiveness of their dental diet? I also read they test on chicks. This disturbs me greatly.

I think it's fine to say the company.
Chicks? but they don't have teeth? That is disturbing. Why don't they just test it on dogs that have existing teeth problems, instead of creating it like that.
MyChemicalCourtney
Killjoy
MyChemicalCourtney
August 12th, 2008 at 01:08am
I hate any form of animal cruelty. If I had my way people that burn animals with like ciggys should be put through the same thing. That may make me seem really evil but its something I feel very strongly about. Fair enough if its testing to beat cancer or something but if its for cosmetics and stuff that aint right. Animals were here before us they should have the same rights. Im not vegetarian cos Im a very fussy eater but I dont eat KFC cos I heard what they do to their chickens Sad Oh and hunting sickens me to the bone. Im not even going to try and type on how much I hate hunting.I mean the type of hunting for sport and fur,teeth and stuff. So yeah I hate animal cruelty =)
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 12th, 2008 at 01:47am
MyChemicalCourtney:
Oh and hunting sickens me to the bone. Im not even going to try and type on how much I hate hunting.

Hunting really isn't that bad. The animal suffers much less then say on a factory farm. The only thing about hunting is that in this day and age it is mostly unnecessary. (When people say they hunt so that they can eat, that is unnecessary) But hunting is also important. Because most natural predators have been eliminated hunting is needed to keep populations in check. So many places are overrun with deer and the deer are starving because there are not enough resources to feed them. So in some cases hunting is beneficial to a species.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 12th, 2008 at 01:53am
Eponine:

Hunting really isn't that bad.
Depends on what type of hunting you're talking about though, doesn't it?
You're obviously talking about hunting for food / keeping a specie's population in check, but hunting for sport is a different thing.
It's pretty pointless. Species have become extinct due to hunting for no reason whatsoever.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 12th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Well yes, but I specified that. Hunting for sport is pointless.
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
August 13th, 2008 at 10:09pm
You know what I hate? When you go to a restaurant and there is like a moose head on the wall and they expect you to eat food in front of it! Those things make me sick! It's like saying "Oh look how many innocent animals I killed today!" Disgusting!
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 14th, 2008 at 02:44am
^A lot of times those are fake.
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
August 14th, 2008 at 11:22am
Eponine:
^A lot of times those are fake.
Some are real though.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 14th, 2008 at 09:02pm
^If it bother's you that much though you can politely ask the person seating you if there are any other tables without that kind of decoration around them. Just tell them that it makes you uncomfortable. A good restaurant is willing do that to please their customers.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 14th, 2008 at 10:29pm
Disenchanted Parade:
You know what I hate? When you go to a restaurant and there is like a moose head on the wall and they expect you to eat food in front of it! Those things make me sick! It's like saying "Oh look how many innocent animals I killed today!" Disgusting!
Leave the restaurant then. If you're disgusted by it then don't give them your business.

Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 15th, 2008 at 06:34pm
Disenchanted Parade:

Some people might find the food you order disgusting. Especially if there's a moose over your head, implying a place like a steak restaurant rather than say, a salad bar. They killed an animal and hung it on the wall. You killed an animal and ate it. Potato, potahto, right?
jonas erik altberg.
Banned
jonas erik altberg.
August 21st, 2008 at 11:22am
aren't animals different from humans?
so, why is ''anti-age wrinkle cream'' being tested on them?
couldn't animals be allergic to certain stuff we aren't to?
It's confusing me.
It's just wrong.
All animals feel pain, they feel lonely.
have you seen what some animals end up like by just testing Mars Bars..or...Skittles on them?