Don't have an account? Create one!

Animal Testing/Abuse/cruelty

AuthorMessage
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
January 7th, 2009 at 11:27pm
>>So I'm somewhat on the current topic Tehe
Animal testing on cosmetics is something I'm totally against.
It's absolutely unnecessary.
And for that matter, there are plenty of companies (Almay, Burt's Bees, Paul Mitchell) that you can get at flippin' Target, right next to those products that are tested on animals. Why choose the one that was tested on an animal?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 8th, 2009 at 08:27am
chokEcho:
Why choose the one that was tested on an animal?
A lot of people are ignorant about the products they buy. Generally, it's not really common knowledge as to what companies test on animals and what companies don't. And often the manufacturers don't make it obvious on the label that they test of animals.
You could be an avid animal lover but still be ignorant about products tested on animals.

Personally, I think manufacturers should make it more clear on the packaging. But of course, you wouldn't get as much profit if you wrote straight out - in large-ish writing - "we test on animals". Which is probably why a lot of companies make it more subtle.
SindySellick
Killjoy
SindySellick
January 10th, 2009 at 04:43pm
the different products that are tested on animals, and are not tested on animals are basically the same thing.
i dont understand why they need to be tested on animals when you can test cosmetics on people.
IeroNugget
Killjoy
IeroNugget
January 12th, 2009 at 10:59am
Does anyone on here live close to Florence, South Carolina?

If so, then you should come to a protest my friend and I are organizing.
Its a protest aimed at the Ringling Circus. Its coming to town on February 6th through the 8th.

If you want to join and have any questions please email me at STFUmissyy@aim.com
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 12th, 2009 at 12:03pm
Oh, this subject makes me cry. I've been having a several decade-long battle with myself about what a hypocrite I know I am. I do try to be careful about what sort of products I buy, and I am currently not in a position to go veggie (my son is a solid omnivore) but sometimes we just don't have the cashflow to make the wisest decisions in this area.

It's bad enough that the poor little critters are having their habitats destroyed by us, causing them to wind up in our backyards, thus getting shot for it. As part of my hypocrisy, I fully acknowledge that my terror of certain insects will cause me to plead tearfully with my son to dispose of them should they turn up inside my house, but he always rescues the spiders. He'd rescue the centipedes as well if he too weren't scared to death to touch a live one.

I want to see cancer cured as much as the next guy, but I also feel like we know how to do so already, and it probably has nothing to do with torturing mice. I personally believe that the medical industry is not all that eager to cure anything - that would definitely hurt their pocketbooks.
sophs102
Killjoy
sophs102
February 6th, 2009 at 11:57am
im tottaly against it, why should we live happily while animals are being killed hit and starved for no reason by the second? why are we so special? people say everyones the same so why cant people see animals are as well?! it makes me SICK!!!!!
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
February 12th, 2009 at 05:39pm
I'm not so sure as to whether this should be posted in this particular thread but has anyone seen that show by Jamie Oliver about the cruelty the majority of animals have to go through in order to end up on your dinner plate?

I'm vege and I saw it the other day, it truly made me cry. It's disgusting that human demand for meat and dairy has come to this extent of ill-treatment to animals. I once heard this quote from a factory farm who said "Don't think of the pig as an animal, think of him as a mahcine" it's the sick reality.
neville longbottom.
Banned
neville longbottom.
February 16th, 2009 at 02:56pm
I'm completely against animal testing for cosmetics. It makes me sick that this world is willing to burn out an animals eye so it can have some hairspray. It also sickens me that some people think that with animal testing they just put the product on the animal then take it off. They don't realise they pump it into there bloodstream or pour it into their eyes.

Testing animals for medical reasons is something I'm on the fence about, the negative side of me is saying that the world is over populated anyway and illness is natures way of killing the weak etc. specially if you brought it on your self eg smoking leading to lung cancer. However, the positive side of me is saying that if I got cancer, I would probably want any drug I could get that might help.

Speaking as a vegetarian, I am whole heartily against factory farming.
Free range I agree with more, but I'm unhappy with the way the animals are killed But then again, most people are.
I would eat meat if I had raised it myslef and know it had a good life and was killed in as a humane way as possible, It's not the eating of meat that bothers me, it's the treatment of the animal.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 10:37am
when it comes to animal testing, i think it should only be done for serious medical reasons. and serious medical reasons as in a cure for cancer.

testing animals for cosmetics is redulous though. it puts the animal through a lot of pain for not a good enough reason.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 20th, 2009 at 12:19pm
^^ But often the animals are being used to ensure that the items used in the cosmetics are safe and do not cause cancer. I don't necessarily condone animal testing, but I wonder if that might change your mind, knowing that the testing is to prevent cancer.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 07:15pm
^^wow, i didn't know about that at all. i suppose that does make a lot of sense. i just think that testing products to see if they, for example, would irritate the skin on animal is cruel. i guess it's safe to say that there's a lot of "if"s and "but"s involved in this topic.
neville longbottom.
Banned
neville longbottom.
February 21st, 2009 at 06:50pm
tabitha:
^^ But often the animals are being used to ensure that the items used in the cosmetics are safe and do not cause cancer. I don't necessarily condone animal testing, but I wonder if that might change your mind, knowing that the testing is to prevent cancer.

But there are products on the market that are not tested on animals, do not cause cancer and have very similar ingredients.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 21st, 2009 at 08:21pm
There usually alot more expensive though, for some families its a case of they actually can not afford them products.

EDIT// I just realised the post was meant for cosmetics, my bad. I meant more for things liek shampoo ect..
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 25th, 2009 at 07:35am
schzimmy deenie.:
But there are products on the market that are not tested on animals, do not cause cancer and have very similar ingredients.

That is simply because the ingredients have already been tested, although not by that company. If another company has already found something to be safe, then another company knows now that they can use the same product without testing it. Nobody is perfectly innocent; they just kinda lean on each other.

Also, I think this thread can include any product tested on animals. The topic has just kinda veered into cosmetics.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
February 28th, 2009 at 03:50pm
I am a huge animal activist and want to become a vegetarian, although my parents will only let me give up beef right now. I do think however, that it is okay to test animals if it is to find a cure for a disease or something similar to that. Otherwise it is completely wrong and uncalled for. Animals have feelings too you know. They can feel pain.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2010 at 06:36pm
Bringing up an old topic.
I just saw a documentary on PBS, and it dealt with the horseshoe crab. The horseshoe crab is an endangered species that is now in decline (now only 25% of their former population) but they have been important to advances in biomedical technology. For example, all IV medications are federally mandated to be tested with the crab's blood to check for sterilization. To do this, fishermen must capture the crabs, and then take them to a laboratory where they are "bled", and returned. However, about 13% of them do not survive. In addition, horseshoe crab eggs are a critical food source for the red knot, a species of bird that is now critically endangered, in part because of a lack of food.

So, my question is, is it ethical to use endangered species for human purposes if through their use, their numbers decline and result in the extinction of other species that depend on it?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
May 24th, 2010 at 07:13am
Nope. It isn't ethical. I have no moral quandry in saying that.