Don't have an account? Create one!

Control Arms (guns being legal)

AuthorMessage
I'm on the radio!!
Salute You in Your Grave
I'm on the radio!!
May 30th, 2006 at 04:35pm
Post your opinions.

I am totally against it and I'm part of Amnesty International and their Control Arms campaign.

I have read articles about things that happen to women in the home and believe me it's shocking.

I can't remember exactly where it was but I remember the story. It was in a foreign country and because guns were legal in that country this happened.
A women was being treated like a slave by her husband so she threatened to leave. When he heard of her plan he took out his gun and shot the woman in the legs numerous times in front of her family. And if I remember correctly the woman now cant use her legs.

More people are killed in the home by guns than any other home deaths.
One person is killed every minute by being shot in the home.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
May 30th, 2006 at 04:38pm
Idiots with guns are ruining my Toronto!

I don't think guns should be legal. People say 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Noo... PEOPLE WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE!'

Yes, people kill people with other things, like knives and poison, and even with their own bare hands, but taking away the guns will eliminate a lot of murders.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
May 30th, 2006 at 05:25pm
If there aren't as many guns around, it isn't as easy to use them to kill people. And guns seem to be the simplest thing to kill people with. You don't need one for every day life, so why have it when it's just asking for trouble?
SuperNatalie.
Bleeding on the Floor
SuperNatalie.
May 31st, 2006 at 04:10pm
yup, i totally disagree with it.
i think it is disgusting that guns, and knives etc are on the streets.
so many innocent people are killed, women are abused and tortured, and too afraid to say anything about it

me and my friend started a story about a girl, and basically, all her female relatives were abused. and when writing it, it really makes you think about what could happen to them, and it's really, depressing, and utterly wrong.
anyways. yeah.

</rant>
I'm on the radio!!
Salute You in Your Grave
I'm on the radio!!
May 31st, 2006 at 04:18pm
satan's little helper:
yup, i totally disagree with it.
i think it is disgusting that guns, and knives etc are on the streets.
so many innocent people are killed, women are abused and tortured, and too afraid to say anything about it

me and my friend started a story about a girl, and basically, all her female relatives were abused. and when writing it, it really makes you think about what could happen to them, and it's really, depressing, and utterly wrong.
anyways. yeah.

</rant>
yeah they took the posters down at school though
combat baby
Demolition Lover
combat baby
May 31st, 2006 at 04:24pm
Casserz.:
Idiots with guns are ruining my Toronto!

I don't think guns should be legal. People say 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Noo... PEOPLE WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE!'

Yes, people kill people with other things, like knives and poison, and even with their own bare hands, but taking away the guns will eliminate a lot of murders.
I agree with you Cassie.

I think guns shouldnt be legal, I dont see any good coming from it.
& yes they are ruining Toronto.
Poopsie
Shotgun Sinner
Poopsie
May 31st, 2006 at 09:08pm
I believe guns should be legal. If they did make it illegal, it would go against the first Amendment, 'Right to Bear Arms'. There are some people who shouldn't own guns, but why take them away from everybody?
Hubert Cumberdale
Always Born a Crime
Hubert Cumberdale
June 3rd, 2006 at 12:59pm
What about when a murderer is breaking into your house and has a knife at the your little sons neck? That's a good time to have a gun. I mean, there are other things that people can use than guns. If you outlaw guns, you have to outlaw knives, poisions and people. You can kill a person with your bear hands. Or a crow-bar, metal table, chair, brick, plastic bag, glass. If we wanted to prevent murders we would just have to lock everyone up in their own little rubber room with their hands and legs tied up.
teh Paigerzzz!
Fabulous Killjoy
teh Paigerzzz!
June 3rd, 2006 at 01:48pm
die_X_romantic:
What about when a murderer is breaking into your house and has a knife at the your little sons neck? That's a good time to have a gun. I mean, there are other things that people can use than guns. If you outlaw guns, you have to outlaw knives, poisions and people. You can kill a person with your bear hands. Or a crow-bar, metal table, chair, brick, plastic bag, glass. If we wanted to prevent murders we would just have to lock everyone up in their own little rubber room with their hands and legs tied up.

I totally agree. Even if guns were outlawed, the people who shouldn't have them the most would. Drugs are illegal, but criminals still have them. Criminals would find a way to get guns.
xkillerqueen
Motor Baby
xkillerqueen
June 3rd, 2006 at 01:52pm
this is crazy. i just did a debate on this for history class and we totally won. i was for gun control.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 01:53pm
all_but_perfect:
this is crazy. i just did a debate on this for history class and we totally won. i was for gun control.

Well then, by all means, please share your opinion on this.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:11pm
Venomous Kiss:
die_X_romantic:

I totally agree. Even if guns were outlawed, the people who shouldn't have them the most would. Drugs are illegal, but criminals still have them. Criminals would find a way to get guns.

Okay I hate to quote Harry Potter here (so shoot me xD)
But evil can never be conquered. It can only be kept at bay. We just have to keep fighting, and fighting again, if never completely eradicating it.

Now, that may come from a childrens book but it still holds a lot of resonance. I believe guns should be outlawed, simply because i'm very anti-violence and guns, to me, are a means of making violence. We're never going to get rid of guns, but I say we do our damned best to try and make the problem lesser.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:15pm
FACT:In 2003 (the most recent year for which data is available), there were 30,136 gun deaths in the U.S:

16,907 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
11,920 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths),
730 unintentional shootings (2% of all U.S gun deaths),
347 from legal intervention and 232 from undetermined intent (2% of all U.S gun deaths combined).

FACT: While handguns account for only one-third of all firearms owned in the United States, they account for more than two-thirds of all firearm-related deaths each year. A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:17pm
FACT: A gun in the home increases the risk of homicide of a household member by 3 times and the risk of suicide by 5 times compared to homes where no gun is present.

FACT: Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan
54 people in England and Wales, and
11,789 people in the United States
circa leena
Salute You in Your Grave
circa leena
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:19pm
Yara:
FACT: A gun in the home increases the risk of homicide of a household member by 3 times and the risk of suicide by 5 times compared to homes where no gun is present.

FACT: Comparison of U.S. gun homicides to other industrialized countries:
In 1998 (the most recent year for which this data has been compiled), handguns murdered:

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan
54 people in England and Wales, and
11,789 people in the United States

The first thing, about homicide being 3 times higher/suicide 5 times higher-what are they basing this off? My dad is a police officer, and he owns a gun.....does that statistic count for police officers and law enforcement officers as well?
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:24pm
awwwsugar:

The first thing, about homicide being 3 times higher/suicide 5 times higher-what are they basing this off? My dad is a police officer, and he owns a gun.....does that statistic count for police officers and law enforcement officers as well?

-A Kellerman, et al. Journal of Trauma, August 1998; Kellerman AL, Lee RK, Mercy JA, et al. "The Epidemiological Basis for the Prevention of Firearm Injuries." Annu.Rev Public Health. 1991; 12:17-40.)

And I'm sure they don't ask every person with a gun what job they have.
Police officers commit suicide too you know. Police officers shoot people that break in to their homes too you know. Police officers are people too.
circa leena
Salute You in Your Grave
circa leena
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:26pm
I know police officers are people.

I was just wondering if they were included in the stats. I wasn't saying "This is preposterous! Police officers don't kill themselves! Nor do they shoot intruders."
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:28pm
awwwsugar:
I know police officers are people.

I was just wondering if they were included in the stats. I wasn't saying "This is preposterous! Police officers don't kill themselves! Nor do they shoot intruders."

Why wouldn't they be included? Like I said, police officers are normal people too. I don't see why they wouldn't be included.
teh Paigerzzz!
Fabulous Killjoy
teh Paigerzzz!
June 3rd, 2006 at 03:51pm
I think people should be allowed guns. I know people use them for murder/suicide, but where I live, they are mainly used for hunting - not self-defense or anything.

I go hunting. I live in Arkansas, where practically everyone has guns, and they use them for hunting (most of the time, anyways...).

I don't think taking guns away would affect homicide/suicide numbers dramatically. There are many ways to kill people, people use guns just because it is the quickest & most efficient.
dean moriarty.
Banned
dean moriarty.
June 3rd, 2006 at 07:12pm
I agree with the suicide being more likely in homes that have guns.
My grandfather had a gun in the home when my mom and her family were there, and my uncle Matt who I never met [he committed suicide when he was 14], shot himself with his gun.
If that gun wasn't in the house, he'd most likely be alive right now, or at least thought more rationally about death before doing it.