Don't have an account? Create one!

Control Arms (guns being legal)

AuthorMessage
Toothy
Salute You in Your Grave
Toothy
April 30th, 2007 at 05:52am
It's harder to murder someone with a knife than with a gun ^.
With a knife, you have actualy got to get near the person and you can only kill one at a time.
I dunno, but if you compare crime in Australia to crime in America and anywhere else where guns are legal...

You know what Ferige and Ben and Joel Madden said at the Australian MTV awards?. They said something like "Thanks for all your support John Howard" because they were pissed that Snoop Dogg wasn't allowed into the country.....because he had a gun and drugs. I dunno, normal people usualy arn't allowed in if they are carrying a gun a drugs.
Why do you need a gun to protect yourself, if no one else has one?.
Only farmers have them, and they live out in un-populated areas, and most of them are sane.
And then there's police.

I just don't see the point in ANYONE apart from the police and army having guns. And farmers.....
It's stupid, guns are made for one thing, to kill. Killing people spontaneously just seems wrong.
And if a random broke into your house?....well, if THEY don't have a gun, there is quiet a few ways to get away.
map_of_the_world
Thinking Happy Thoughts
map_of_the_world
April 30th, 2007 at 06:06am
Well, I dont like the idea of firearms in the first place. I agree that people will more likely commit suicide. I mean, there are already enough people who are trying to commit suicide so why bother having anymore who want to commit it. They are also a waste of money. You could be spending your money elsewhere tan on firearms.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
April 30th, 2007 at 04:20pm
If guns were made illegal tomorrow in the United States, it would be years and years and years before guns were rooted out the criminal circles, if ever. As is, there are plenty of illegal guns being used by criminals (ie unregistered ones). So I can understand the sentiment of wanting a gun to protect oneself from criminals who have illegal ones. I only think it's far more likely someone will be accidentally hurt or killed by a gun intended to protect. The rate of gun deaths in United States per year is astronomical, and it's not all crime-related.

I don't think have guns legal has any affect on the suicide rate though. I actually think the suicide rate is higher in England than in the US, though I could be wrong. Guns might make it easier to kill oneself, but if a person really wants to do it, they'll find a way, gun or no.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
April 30th, 2007 at 04:36pm
You do have a higher chance of killing yourself if there's a gun the house.
You're also more likely to accidentally shoot someone in your house.
That's why I think you're gun should be in a lock box so you don't hear a noise, grab the gun from your drawer and shoot your daughter who's sneaking out to see her boyfriend.
You have to try and get the gun, which takes longer.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 30th, 2007 at 06:39pm
toothy:
You know what Ferige and Ben and Joel Madden said at the Australian MTV awards?. They said something like "Thanks for all your support John Howard" because they were pissed that Snoop Dogg wasn't allowed into the country.....because he had a gun and drugs. I dunno, normal people usualy arn't allowed in if they are carrying a gun a drugs.
Why do you need a gun to protect yourself, if no one else has one?.
Only farmers have them, and they live out in un-populated areas, and most of them are sane.
And then there's police.

And if a random broke into your house?....well, if THEY don't have a gun, there is quiet a few ways to get away.

Re: your last statement - yeah, if you're young, healthy and otherwise not incapacitated, there's plenty of ways to get away. Unfortunately for me, I'm over six months pregnant, waddling around and very unsteady on my feet, so there's no way I could literally run, or duck or dodge an intruder coming at me. And if I was upstairs, the only way I could get out without coming directly into their path would be by smashing a window and jumping out, and praying I don't hit concrete below. So to that effect, knives are no good for me either because there'd be far more chance of an intruder wrestling it from me (hell, a 6-year-old could wrestle things away from me right now, my upper-arm strength is seriously less than my cat's), and therefore I would feel much safer going to bed at night if I knew there was a gun in a safe in my wardrobe.

Back to the beginning of your argument, yeah, apparently everyone was pissed at Snoop not being allowed into the country. It's because he has such a long history of weapon and drug charges against him, it's not like one incidence of being in possession of a gun was what did it. Yes, normal people who deal with drugs and guns aren't allowed to enter Australia, as they're deemed a threat to society, but what about the criminals who were born and raised here and have obtained guns illegally? That's where I'm coming from with 'I want a gun' - the law may state that nobody else has one, therefore I don't need one, but the fact of the matter is, I can think of four people I know personally who have guns - all of them licenced, unregistered, and none of them kept safely in a locked box or similar. The law didn't stop these people, and as much as I don't want to break the law, I think this particular law is bullshit and so I won't be losing any sleep over it.
Sure, police need guns - to protect themselves from violent criminals who they come across in their day-to-day activities. Politicians live in a fantasy world if they think that every single Australian citizen lives in a nice, idyllic neighbourhood out in the 'burbs where they never have any interaction or contact with the type of people the police are meant to protect us from.

With regards to other posts on the suicide rate, yes, having a gun in the house would make it relatively easy to kill yourself, but the people who are determined to end their lives are going to find a way to do it regardless of whether they own a gun or not. I wonder if governments will ban things like ropes and closed-in garages anytime soon to try and cut the suicide rate - a guy I went to high school with killed himself a little over a week ago, by hanging. The brother of one of my husband's friends killed himself last year - by hanging. OMG - ropes are lethal weapons?! Get them off the shelves and force people to be licenced in order to own one, right?

I'm not saying firearms should be a free-for-all. I'm just saying that Australia's laws need to lighten up a little, and America's laws probably need to be tightened a touch. I just think it's highly unfair that guns are as common as colour TVs overseas, and I have to rely on dumbass doghnut-eating pigs to protect me - I don't know about your police response times, but where I live they are pretty much guaranteed to show up half an hour after a crime's been committed - I want to prevent the crime happening, not lay down and get raped, then call the police afterwards, for instance.
Morning Stars.
Salute You in Your Grave
Morning Stars.
May 2nd, 2007 at 07:20am
i agree with emily urban., its a load of bullshit
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
December 11th, 2007 at 07:47pm
---I think that guns should be legal for hunting purposes,although I'm totally against hunting, and such. But I don't think that gun mufflers should be legal. For what purpose are they used except to hush the fatal bullet that kills the one you love.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
December 13th, 2007 at 09:36pm
Mending The Unbroken:
---I think that guns should be legal for hunting purposes,although I'm totally against hunting, and such. But I don't think that gun mufflers should be legal. For what purpose are they used except to hush the fatal bullet that kills the one you love.
while I agree with your statement, I think the purpose of a muffler is so that it won't hurt anyone's ears or scare the rest of the animals away..but I don't know that for sure Mr. Green
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
April 1st, 2008 at 02:14pm
I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED AND HAVE A MENTAL EVALUATION BEFORE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE A GUN. PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY ONE FOR SELF DEFENSE, THERE ARE TOO MANY CRAZIES OUT THERE, AND WHOSE TO SAY THEY JUST WOULDN'T BUY AN ILLEGAL GUN OFF THE STREET