Don't have an account? Create one!

Teen Pregnancy

AuthorMessage
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
August 13th, 2009 at 04:47pm
idk. my bff jill?:
i think teen pregnancy is pretty irresponsible. like someone else here said,at 16 you don't need to be raising a child,you need to be focusing on school,and college (if that's what you're planning on),and a job. and really,condoms aren't that expensive,go pick up a box.
jimmy sullivan.:
Teen pregnancy is something stupid, in my own opinion.
And, trust me, I've been there.
Use condoms.
The teenage years are the sweetest years in anyone's life.
You don't want them totally ruined because of your irresponsibility.
And if you decide to keep the baby, no matter how much you love your kid, you're always going to regret losing your teenage years, deep inside.
Condoms break, pills fail - anything of their own fault and irresponsibility? Not really. Of course they had sex, but they took necessary precautions and that in itself was responsible. They had no idea they would be having a kid at the time. If you're not using the correct forms of contraception, that is irresponsible, but I don't get how using protection and ending up with a kid is irresponsible.

You can work a job while you're pregnant, it's not like you lazy around for 9 months waiting. People can still go to schools, and get into colleges and stuff. A lot of colleges offer plans for parents/ expecting parents, so there's no reason why getting pregnant means not persuing the continuation of education. Colleges have daycare centers...

Your life doesn't end when you have a kid as a teenager. You can still hang with your friends. You can't party with drugs and alcohol, but I think partying is as equally irresponsible as pregnancy; most mothers are happy that they had a child as a teen... no huge regrets at all.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 13th, 2009 at 05:04pm
I posted this a year ago but i'm reposting it now. Sophie is now 17, her son is 2. She is doing her A-Levels and wants to go to University to be a teacher. She is still with her boyfriend and is a wonderful Mum. Not all teenage pregnancies are disasters. Yes, ideally you should wait, but if you do get pregnant young it isnt always the end of the world.

Tallulah; Schechter:
My niece Sophie got pregnant at 14.

It was the last thing on earth I would have wished for her. But these things happen. She had been with her boyf for a year and had been using contraception which had sadly failed.

She gave birth to her son a week after her 15th birthday.

The shock was immense, but she coped. She has proved to us what a remarkable young woman she is.

She went back to school this year and finished her GCSE's which she passed really successfully and she is going back to school next month to start A-levels.

She is only 16. She is a mother to a one year old and is responsible and mature.
daremr_MCRmy
Killjoy
daremr_MCRmy
August 13th, 2009 at 08:33pm
I'm against both teen pregnantcy and aportion. I feel that if they're stupid enough to get pregnant, they should have to deal with it and take it responsibily
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 14th, 2009 at 04:44am
Well lets just hope it never happens to you. It's easy to be so judgemental when you've never been in a situation.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
August 14th, 2009 at 12:38pm
gwyneth:
Deb, I don't really understand. What aren't they helping? They're posting their opinion, you're posting yours. Nobody has the right to say the other person's opinion is wrong, in this case.

I just don't know how responsible I think it is to let a thread full of teenagers know that you as an adult think it's perfectly fine for them to go out and get knocked up, but fine. I'm glad my kids don't read this thread. P.S.: at no point did I call anyone else's opinion "wrong."
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 14th, 2009 at 02:00pm
I don't think anyone is saying it's fine to get 'knocked up' at a young age. Thing is as this is a discussion thread we have to look at both sides of the argument. If this was personal questions then it would be very different. He we look at all the threads in that way I guess some of the other threads in this forum would be advocating necrophillia or drug use.

In my job I come into contact with a lot of pregnant teenagers and while it is far from ideal and often feels like the end of their lives, i think it's important they know it doesn't have to be.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
August 15th, 2009 at 10:35am
daremr_MCRmy:
I'm against both teen pregnantcy and aportion. I feel that if they're stupid enough to get pregnant, they should have to deal with it and take it responsibily
Getting pregnant doesn't necessarily make you stupid. As it's been said, protection doesn't always work, and you can hardly call some stupid if they're responsible and sensible enough to think about it and use protection.

And basically you're saying having a baby is punishment for getting pregnant? That's not a very nice way of viewing it.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 16th, 2009 at 06:29am
daremr_MCRmy:
I reject the idea that having an abortion is somehow associated with not taking responsibility. I think if you look closer, in some circumstances having an abortion is completely responsible. What if they cannot afford a kid? If they're teenagers they'll likely have no money of their own. They'll most likely be scared. And if they don't want it but are forced through a pregnancy? There is a definite possibility for resentment there.

Abortion =/= irresponsibility.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
August 17th, 2009 at 08:13am
And while they can't afford a kid and adoption is an obvious answer before killing a kid, some families don't have enough money to pay medical bills for the baby in the first place
daremr_MCRmy:
when you force someone to do something, they're not going to like it. teens getting pregnant isn't stupid unless they're doing it on purpose, but then again - is it any of our responsibilities to judge them?
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
August 17th, 2009 at 08:58am
gnihsams snikpmup.:
And while they can't afford a kid and adoption is an obvious answer before killing a kid, some families don't have enough money to pay medical bills for the baby in the first place
Why is adoption an obvious answer before abortion (or 'killing a kid' as you put it) ?

Abortion is not killing a kid. It's terminating a foetus (which, at the point when it is supposed to be done, cannot feel/know anything), which is completely different. Also, adoption services are not a good place to be for a child. They're overflowing with unadopted children as we speak.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 18th, 2009 at 07:02am
Deb:

A teenager does not have either the education nor the job experience
It literally stopped reading right there.

My Dad was a high school drop out who left school at 15 and went to go live on his own. When he left he could barely spell his own name, his dyslexia was that bad. My mum had to repeat year 12 once, and dropped out in her first year of university.

But they became parents with virtually no support - they had little money for most of my upbringing up until the past few years or so. And to be honest - they're pretty damn good parents. I had a fantastic childhood, apart from a few rough patches in my family life (but that's a given). I don't see what education or job experience has to do with having a kid.

Teenage pregnancy doesn't have to be a negative thing.

Deb:
just don't know how responsible I think it is to let a thread full of teenagers know that you as an adult think it's perfectly fine for them to go out and get knocked up, but fine.
You quoted me on the last page saying I "wasn't helping any". Where exactly was I encourage teenagers to go around and get knocked up? That wasn't the gist of my post at all. I was merely stating that teenage pregnancy does not have to be so negative and life-ruining. I gave an example of my friend in high school who - although became a young mother - is doing quite well for herself now in terms on getting 'on the right track' with life.

For some, it can ruin their life, but not for all.
Jenny.
Jenny.
August 18th, 2009 at 08:23am
Deb:

I just don't know how responsible I think it is to let a thread full of teenagers know that you as an adult think it's perfectly fine for them to go out and get knocked up, but fine. I'm glad my kids don't read this thread. P.S.: at no point did I call anyone else's opinion "wrong."
I don't think it's encouraging anyone to get "knocked up". I'm 15, which is bang smack in the middle of teenage, and I'm in no way encouraged to get pregnant. Nobody is saying it's "perfectly fine", it's just that when it DOES happen, it's not the worst thing in the world and it can be dealt with in a fantastic way.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
August 18th, 2009 at 09:47pm
I think they should be allowed to if they are a fitting parent at least 16 years old , but I personally would suggest an abortion. Depending on how they have matured physically at this point. Often times their hips aren't wide enough , their breasts aren't large enough, etc. I think not allowing them to have it is kind of against their civil rights.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
August 18th, 2009 at 11:03pm
Some people act like getting pregnant as a teenager is the absolute worst thing that could happen. Thats ridiculous. Though teenage pregnancy is rarely planned, nore is it easy, it is not the end of the world. Look around you, get to know your neighbors, people around town, the liklihood is that you will find quite a few women who were indeed teenage mothers and are now living life as normal as ever, with happy, healthy children.

Keeping and raising a child as a teenager is possible. Motherhood is not easy, under any circumstances, but so many women have been great mothers, whether they gave birth when they were 16 or 45. Dont assume that a young girl doesnt have the ability to be a good mother to a child.

Life comes with consequences. Sometimes we need to learn to embrace the choices we've made, hold our heads high and take responsibilty for ourselves, and in this case for an unborn child as well.

Teenage pregnancy is rough, and I in no way encourage anyone to get pregnant as a teenager, but if you are a teenager and you do happen to get pregnant, your life is not over. You can still have a life, you can still have fun, you can still be happy, even if it all takes a little more effort then raising a child when you are older.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 19th, 2009 at 08:10am
xxZalanortxx:
Often times their hips aren't wide enough , their breasts aren't large enough, etc.
...?

Your breasts and hips do not have to be a certain size for one to bear children.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
August 19th, 2009 at 02:59pm
Alexface.:
Why is adoption an obvious answer before abortion (or 'killing a kid' as you put it) ?

Abortion is not killing a kid. It's terminating a foetus (which, at the point when it is supposed to be done, cannot feel/know anything), which is completely different. Also, adoption services are not a good place to be for a child. They're overflowing with unadopted children as we speak.
because that's what people think of first a majority of the time.

Abortion is viewed as different thing by different people. Honestly? The fetus is a child, even if it isn't born yet, imo. You might not view it as such, but...
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
August 19th, 2009 at 04:58pm
Mindfuck:
...?
Your breasts and hips do not have to be a certain size for one to bear children.

Your hips need to be the proper size for them to pass through the birth canal safely. Even though many mothers switch to bottle feeding their babies, they usually still need to be breast-fed for at least a little while.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
August 19th, 2009 at 05:21pm
Not true I'm afraid. Its a myth. You can give birth with tiny tiny hips (my sister in law is a size 0 and less than 5 foot and gave birth naturally to 4 children, including 2 breech babies. Hip size is a myth. As for breast size, tiny breasts can breast feed just as effectively as large breasts.

Plus, you dont "need" to breast feed children at all. It's encourage but it is not "needed".

Trust me, I've read everything there is to know recently

*is due in at least 7 weeks*
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
August 19th, 2009 at 07:40pm
xxZalanortxx:
Your hips need to be the proper size for them to pass through the birth canal safely. Even though many mothers switch to bottle feeding their babies, they usually still need to be breast-fed for at least a little while.
Uh, babies don't need to be breast fed for a while. Here, they let the mother try it if they want to, and if they don't like it they switch to bottle feeding and that's that. They have baby bottles and whatnot in hospitals, my sister was bottle fed from birth. Boob size has nothing to do with anything. All woman are created differently. Women, even when older, still don't necessarily get larger breasts as they age. However, they get bigger during pregnancy for that purpose.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 20th, 2009 at 07:47am
xxZalanortxx:
No, they don't. Where did you get that from?

Hip size doesn't impact on birth, and breast size doesn't impact on breast feeding. It's the function of it that counts...