Don't have an account? Create one!

Racism

AuthorMessage
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
May 17th, 2008 at 12:42am
Racism to me is pointless. Just because someone's skin is a different color than yours doesn't mean that they're not human.
My friend recently RAN AWAY FROM HOME because of racism (she's african-american) and I personally think the Racism thing has gone too far.
el_mexicano
Killjoy
el_mexicano
May 17th, 2008 at 01:12am
I can honestly say racism is plain stupid. I'm not racist. Every person I met, I treat like and equal because I want to be treated that way. Racism is one of the worst things going on in the world. It clouds a lot of people's minds and makes it easier to say "I hate that race because...". I know many people that are racist and I conversate with them on my opinions of racism, while at the same respecting them. As a spanish person, I go through the basic stereotype that just because I'm spanish, I don't know english. I just take everything in stride and hope that one day people will understand that we all have to learn to accept each other just like we always want to be accepted.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
May 17th, 2008 at 11:36am
i think racism is very ignorant. just because people look differently than you, talk differently than you, from other places... doesn't mean they're any smarter or dumber.

and some people are saying that the racist times are over, and it's not over because i hear racist things all the time.

i just treat everyone equally.
Way1203
Fabulous Killjoy
Way1203
July 3rd, 2008 at 09:35pm
it's really sad because jsut recently on Warped Tour in Missouri, Travis from Gym Class Heroes was called the N-word while he was on stage.

That's ridiculous. It's 2008. It shouldn't be happening at Warped Tour, it shouldn't be happening at all!
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 3rd, 2008 at 10:55pm
I'm Chinese, and I live in Massachusetts. Massachusetts...compared to other places, to me at least, it's a very liberal place-we were one of the first states to outlaw slavery, to legalize gay marriage, etc. I can still see racism though, but not just to me and to people of my race, or even someone else's. I can feel people judging me, and they make comments (I'm not sure if some of them even realize it's offensive) around me, to me, about my race. I remember going to a ballgame not too long ago, and that was hell for me. Even the little things, the stares-they hurt. All of the stereotypes, about the accents, small eyes, being nerds-they hurt.
There is a Six Flags commercial on TV, where there's an Asian man saying something to the effect of "more flags, six flags, more fun". I get that a lot-people "imitating" an "Asian" accent, making fun of it. There was this one girl at school who used to make fun of me because I'm Chinese, and what she did broke me down, and it still hurts to this day, thinking about it. I know that I have it much easier than say, Jewish people during the Holocaust, or African-Americans around the time of the Civil Rights Movement, and still in places today. But that doesn't change the fact that many people don't accept me, often just because of my race-to me, racism.
My parents, who immigrated from China before I was born, in particular my dad, as he has an accent, hard to pronounce name, etc. experience it even more than me. They shrug it off, act like it doesn't matter, like they don't care, but it matters to me, I care, and I want to change that. Comments to them, the little things, hurt even more than comments to me directly. They sacrificed so much, they do so much for me and my sister, so we can really enjoy life, and only now am I starting to realize just how thankful, just how proud I am of them for it, and now, how proud I am of my heritage.
Racism, is everywhere. Even my grandparents make occasional comments about Africans. Maybe, living in this area, where I'm in a minority group; that's why I'm so opposed to discrimination, intolerance, and prejudice; why I try to be as accepting as possible, and maybe, I can help end it.