Don't have an account? Create one!

Internet Predators

AuthorMessage
XHellsBellX
Killjoy
XHellsBellX
November 14th, 2008 at 09:22am
i have a lot of online frends and im very careful abut giving out info. no phone #, address, and i hate putting pics of myself up. most of the time we just have random conversations. but seethe thing is that not EVERYONE is out to get u on the internet. if that was true than look who's on here, on this message board.
my parents freak when im talking to someone they dont know. and they monitor who i talk to online. i know they mean well but i hate it. its like they dont trust me with this.
but u know not everyone is at risk. woever it was who said the girls taking to skanky pics (cant remember who it was, sorry) was right. they dont think. if ur putting up pics of urself half naked ur just giving them what they want.
but even if u dont do that u still need to be careful. its really easy to lie online about ur age, where u live, who u r, and what u look like. on the internet ur talking to a screen and u dont know these ppl. but that doesnt mean they r all bad. some ppl actually r teens, adults, and kids. they r who they say they r. so dont get paranoid. just be careful. and yeah if u meet with an online frend, have someone with u, in a public place. its just safe and smart.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 15th, 2008 at 09:10am
I think its more about how people use the internet. Just like in the real world, young people are supposed to avoid people they don't know. And also, its a parent's responsibility that their children are using the internet safely, not the interenet itself. Parents always seem to blame Myspace or whatever for whats happened to their child for trusting some stranger on the internet. Whose fault is that???? I agree that parents are the real problem, seriously, being a parent means a lot of responsibility.

People just have to be very careful of who you share infomation with.
green llama
Bleeding on the Floor
green llama
November 15th, 2008 at 01:27pm
Human Wreckage xx:
the internet is a very dangerous place.
you can NEVER be too carful about predators.
you know that aim buddy you've been chatting with for about a month who says they are 16? they're actually a 50 year old predator whos trying to smooth talk your address out of you.

They could be a 50 year old. And besides, most internet predators are between the ages of 22-30. I forgot where I read it so I shouldn't be saying it, but still.

She could really be a 16 year old girl. That's why you have to be careful, chat on webcam before you give your number out, etc.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
November 15th, 2008 at 01:56pm
I agree. I've met a whole bunch of awesome people, some of which I now talk to over the phone, on the interwebz. But that doesn't mean that everyone I talk to is really who they say they are.
Stupidsadistic;
Bleeding on the Floor
Stupidsadistic;
December 21st, 2008 at 11:51pm
I have made one of my very best friend's on the internet. I met her first on Mibba, than moved to talking to her on MySpace. We've talked on the phone as well, and we confide in eachother. She actually called me when a friend of her's had died. So I don't believe that everyone on the internet can be out to get me, so I believe that people are more trustworthy than that.

But I tend to stay away from males on the internet, just to be on the safe side.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
December 24th, 2008 at 04:46pm

My parents are ok with what I do on the internet- my father trusts me and doesn't mind and my mother takes the approach that she would rather not know what I was doing on there.

The internet can be a scary place but it doesn't have to be. Unlike real life where getting away from these predators can be extremely difficult, if not impossible, the internet always provides a 'block' button and an 'X' in the top right hand corner.

People need to find what they consider as going 'too far' before it happens and, therefore, can stop behaviour of an inappropriate sexual manner or abusive comments.

When speaking to people on the internet it does cross my mind that these people are possibly not as young as they say they are. I then realise that, as long as they're not speaking to me in a way I am uncomfortable with, I don't mind too much.

I'm very careful with which information I do give out though such as home addresses. Keeping social networking profiles private is also important in order to stamp down on potential threats.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 10:04am
doctor.:

My parents are ok with what I do on the internet- my father trusts me and doesn't mind and my mother takes the approach that she would rather not know what I was doing on there.

Whenever I make the arguement 'so you don't trust me?' my parents respond with 'it's not you we don't trust, it's the people out there.'
You wouldn't believe the amount of effort predators will go to, conditioning their targets for months, even years. They will even spend money on a person.
doctor.:

The internet can be a scary place but it doesn't have to be. Unlike real life where getting away from these predators can be extremely difficult, if not impossible, the internet always provides a 'block' button and an 'X' in the top right hand corner.

But this can only be done when you suspect a problem, many will see the predator as their friend. It isn't like a predator comes with a huge warning, it could be someone you fully trust just haven't met yet in person.

I find your avatar extremely distracting as well. In Love