Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 24th, 2009 at 08:37pm
xxZalanortxx:
However, besides the need to to organize oneself into a group, another predominate reason was to control the people. Claiming their words were divine mandate would often ensure the complete obidience and respest from the several of the weak-minded peasents around when most religions were formed.

Excellent point as well. We must remember that all governments (even democratic ones) operate off of a "control the masses" type of mentality. Organized religion is an excellent tool to use in furthering that cause, which would explain why high-ranking officials in the dominant religions in any given society have always been consultants to their political leaders.

The words contained within the holy scriptures are manipulated by clergymen to incite fear into the hearts of their flock, which in turn inspire them to vigorously alienate anyone who steps out of line and threatens the safety of their existence. It's up to us to demonstrate to our leaders that we're far from ignorant - the righteous are supposed to stand and oppose the rigid; that's how it's always been done - that's how change is accomplished.

Currently, we live in a society (here in America) that can't figure out if it wants to be free or totalitarian. In trying to figure out how to get away with this, our leaders preach "family values," yet our press outsmarts them - catching them, literally, with their pants down every time. Unfortunately, although the American public is smart enough to tune out the disgraced politician, we aren't rejecting the message itself, as we should be.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
December 19th, 2009 at 01:37am

Now before I start, I'd like to point out that I have nothing against religion. I personally do not have a certain religion that I identify with, but I have the mentality of live and let live.

Now I was watching discovery channel when I saw an advert for the programme "Who Was Jesus?" I was quite curious about how they described the programme and looked it up. This is the description.

"The dramatic reality of the Age of Jesus. A journey through the Holy Land with three expert guides who investigate the latest archaeological and historical evidence to put together a portrait of the early years of Jesus and the forces that shaped his life"
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14617.25852.36124.x

Wait... did I miss a memo? Since when is Jesus a historical figure? Last time I checked, he was part of a religion - not historical fact.
I'm not trying to offend anybody with this, but why is Jesus suddenly considered reality?

It may seem little as it is only a TV programme, but I was quite ticked off when I read this. I'd love to hear what other people have to say.
takesonetoknowone
Salute You in Your Grave
takesonetoknowone
December 19th, 2009 at 02:24am
Lovesick Melody.:

Now before I start, I'd like to point out that I have nothing against religion. I personally do not have a certain religion that I identify with, but I have the mentality of live and let live.,,,

Wait... did I miss a memo? Since when is Jesus a historical figure? Last time I checked, he was part of a religion - not historical fact.
I'm not trying to offend anybody with this, but why is Jesus suddenly considered reality?

It may seem little as it is only a TV programme, but I was quite ticked off when I read this. I'd love to hear what other people have to say.

Hi Lovesick Melody. Smile I would just like to say that Jesus Christ is historical fact. If you look in history far back, there was a man named Jesus Christ who is recorded to have lived. Now, religion isn't something I like to talk about because people are very touchy about reilgion although I am religious myself. But just thought you should know that a man named Jesus Christ did in fact live in ancient times and is historical fact. Now what he did and if he did acts which certain religions believed he did, is up to them, but Jesus the man did live once a time ago.
Jenny.
Jenny.
December 19th, 2009 at 08:25am
But then again, I'm sure there's been quite a few "jesus"es in history...
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
December 19th, 2009 at 11:38am
Yes, actually, the Jesus Christ known to Christianity did exist, and that doesn't change if you're not religious, like myself. The question is whether everything happened that he claimed to have happened, and that the people writing the Bible claimed to have happened. That's where my belief starts to break down.
greatestemokiduknow
Killjoy
greatestemokiduknow
January 15th, 2010 at 11:11am
I am extremly antireligious simply because of life experiences i dont believe there is a god. Not to be offensive to any Christians but I have a very unique view of Christians simply because of people in my life that are Christians are blinded by a flase sense of security and hope. They believe that there is some being that will save them all lifes problems but in actually they go through proverty, loss of loved ones, and everything they hold dear. Their explantion of this event happening is that it is "God's will" when in actuallity its the fact that they give over a $100 dollars to a captilist church every week and they will deprive themselves of food just to be closer to their god. Maybe I do not understand everything, maybe I am miss informed, never the less, I am an atheist simply because I need facts and not flase hope.
the_black_parader
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_black_parader
January 31st, 2010 at 06:02pm
even though some of MCRs stuff is a little antireligious(mama we all go to hell) i am an adamant Christian. i know most members here arent but thats ok. Jesus still loves you.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 09:09am

But I don't think the Jesus Christ and the son of God are the same person. Although to be perfectely honest, thanks for correcting me. :]

greatestemokiduknow:
Not to be offensive to any Christians but I have a very unique view of Christians simply because of people in my life that are Christians are blinded by a flase sense of security and hope.
So maybe you've had a few bad experiences with Christians. But how can you immediately account the whole Christian community for a few people?
How can it be a 'false' sense of hope? Are you saying that Christianity is 'wrong'?
greatestemokiduknow:
They believe that there is some being that will save them all lifes problems but in actually they go through proverty, loss of loved ones, and everything they hold dear.

I think that you're displaying a very extreme example. A being that will save them from all lifes problems? What if it gave them hope for a better world? What if it motivated them to reach out to people in need? It isn't all about trying to escape suffering, but to inspire and support. Many don't just feel loved through God, but by the people they share the experience with.
greatestemokiduknow:
Their explantion of this event happening is that it is "God's will" when in actuallity its the fact that they give over a $100 dollars to a captilist church every week and they will deprive themselves of food just to be closer to their god.

Wow, this statement seems so unfair to me, and I'm not at all religious. Look Here for the financial part of your question.
They are not 'depriving' themselves of food when they donate. Even donating $1 is useful, or any loose change, it doesn't have to be big amounts of money, just anything that people can spare or feel like donating. And they do it so the church can continue to run, therefore allowing them to attend. Which I guess, is in a way feeling closer to God.

I get where you're coming from, but maybe a bit more clarification can help me understand better. And I'm the same on the topic of needing facts. I simply don't have the faith to believe, I need solid proof before I can develop faith.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
February 13th, 2010 at 08:43am
the_black_parader:
even though some of MCRs stuff is a little antireligious(mama we all go to hell) i am an adamant Christian. i know most members here arent but thats ok. Jesus still loves you.
I really wouldn't say that's anti-religious. :tehe: Nor that any of their music is, really, but y'know.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 13th, 2010 at 08:37pm
^That might just be how he interprets it?
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
February 13th, 2010 at 08:59pm
Ahh religion, where do I begin?

Well, I believe in god, I believe in being a good person, I believe in using all of the spiritual books as guidelines to living a good life. I don't believe in church, and I don't believe in any "Divine Plan". I believe in God as a kind of watchmaker. God created everything's bare beginnings (set the clock), and now is sitting back and watching the show.

I think that most of the churches have become corrupt, or at least strayed away from their intended purpose. My biggest issue is how in pretty much every religion you are damned unless you follow their religion. Then people force it down other's throats and that's completely wrong.

I have nothing against religious people, but when they start to force beliefs, then a problem starts. All I say is be a good person, and you'll be fine. Also I do think that it's really funny how many many wars and deaths are caused in the name of religion
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 14th, 2010 at 11:05pm
Lovesick Melody.:
I simply don't have the faith to believe, I need solid proof before I can develop faith.

That simply doesnt make any sense. Faith is believing in something with the absence of proof. And believing in something that has already been proven to be true is not faith.

The existence of God cannot be proven. Though it also cannot be disproven. And there's a reason for this, and its simple: believing in something that you can see, touch, and scientifically prove to exist...it doesnt take any kind of personal strength to do that. It doesnt require trust, because its right in front of your face. God could come out at any moment and be like "Hey everybody, here I am!", but there is a reason why he doesnt do that. God wants you to trust that he is there. Not because it can be proven, or because you can see him with your eyes. Its about trusting in his existence, and that he is listening to you, that he cares about you, and that he loves you.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 15th, 2010 at 01:56am

Sorry LunacyFringe, I apologize. I think used the wrong word.

I meant that without facts I can't [i]believe[i]. Faith is completely the wrong word, sorry. Smile
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 16th, 2010 at 05:08pm
Facts are an empty thing to live for. Life is much better lived believing in things that really mean something, not just the things that science says it can prove. Some of the best things in life cant be proven.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 16th, 2010 at 05:18pm
And why should we have only the choice to live for what happens when we die? Why can't we live for life now? Why can't we live for those people we love, the dreams we have, and other things? Why should some god be involved? You see, it isn't black and white.

And since they aren't proven, you don't know that these "things" even exist, so you can't decide if they're the best or not. Wink
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 17th, 2010 at 02:15am
LunacyFringe:
Facts are an empty thing to live for. Life is much better lived believing in things that really mean something, not just the things that science says it can prove. Some of the best things in life cant be proven.
Wow, you're obviously very narrow minded - considering you can't see beyond the end of your own faith. Newsflash: not everyone actually lives life the way you do and believes everything you do.

So what means a lot to you probably means jack shit to me. And visa versa. It's very belittling and arrogant to suggest that your beliefs are be all and end all of beliefs. I'm an Atheist, and although I tend to stand firm in my views when it comes to religion, I understand that there are billions of people in this world with different world views, different religions, different spiritual beliefs, different customs and traditions, different cultures... what you believe in is good for you, but it's not necessarily good for everyone else. It pays to be slightly more open minded. Otherwise you just come across as ignorant.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 18th, 2010 at 05:31pm
merlin.:
And why should we have only the choice to live for what happens when we die?

My beliefs are nothing like that at all. I don't think we should live for what happens after we die. I think that's a very foolish way to live. I believe that God put us all on this earth with a purpose, and that we are here to fulfill that purpose, whatever it is. We weren't put on earth to wait for Heaven. When I die and enter of the Kingdom of God, it'll be amazing, but that day hasn't come yet, which means there is more still to do on earth.

Mindfuck:
Wow, you're obviously very narrow minded - considering you can't see beyond the end of your own faith. Newsflash: not everyone actually lives life the way you do and believes everything you do.

I never said that you have to believe what I believe. I also never said that the only thing meaningful to live for was my religion. I said that facts are an empty thing to live for. I meant that life is better spent living for things like love, and family, and friends, and helping others.

I never even mentioned my faith, nor did I say that everyone needs to think and act just like I do. I would say that you're narrow-minded for assuming that my Christianity means that I think that everyone needs to be exactly like I am or that I believe that I'm better then everyone else. That's not at all true. It pays to be slightly more open minded.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 18th, 2010 at 06:44pm
^You said "life is better lived believing in things that really mean something", and to me that is a closed minded statement, because you're basically saying there are things in this world that people believe in that are meaningful and some things in this world that people believe in that are meaningless. Who are you to decide what's meaningful and meaningless for others? Some people might be quite content believing in things you consider not as meaningful.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 18th, 2010 at 07:49pm
^^ I think you're overexamining my statement, as well as putting words into my mouth.

If you read my enitre statement I was saying that there is simply more to life the what science says it can prove. And that there are things in life that cant be proven, but sometimes those are the things that are the most special, like love and friendship. I wasnt at all saying that I am the one who decides things for everybody.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 18th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Well, we are simply debating two sides, not saying that we LIVE for one side or the other. I can't think of many cases where someone "lives for" the facts of evolution. Razz So I would even go so far as to say it's irrelevant, if you did NOT mean that God is a better thing to live for.