Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 19th, 2010 at 12:28am
LunacyFringe:
^^ I think you're overexamining my statement, as well as putting words into my mouth.

If you read my enitre statement I was saying that there is simply more to life the what science says it can prove. And that there are things in life that cant be proven, but sometimes those are the things that are the most special, like love and friendship. I wasnt at all saying that I am the one who decides things for everybody.
Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, because there's only so many ways one can interpret "life is better lived believing in things that really mean something".
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 25th, 2010 at 08:32pm
^^I'd say there are plenty of ways you could have interpreted it, though it was only meant as a statement to say that theres more to life then scientific fact. The only reason you think that I was talking about God and/or religion is because you already know me to be a Christian. If someone else has said the same thing I doubt you would have interpreted it with religious meaning.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 26th, 2010 at 07:56am
LunacyFringe:
Facts are an empty thing to live for. Life is much better lived believing in things that really mean something, not just the things that science says it can prove. Some of the best things in life cant be proven.

Err... That might be your opinion, but I can't help but disagree a bit.
Sure, some things in life are great such as friendship and love, but facts are not an empty thing to live for. If I'm totally going off on a rant that is irrelevant to your statement, I apologize.
The scientific world to me holds a lot more appeal than the religious world. However, I do not undermine faith and religion at all (not saying that you accused me of it.). I can see the happiness it brings to people and I have the live and let live mentality.
However, science gives me so many more answers than religion. I'm completely fascinated in learning how the word works and how it all fits together. So in a way, I'm always striving for facts. It doesn't mean I "live" for them, I just desire to learn about how our world works.

I am extremely bad in reading opinions and responding appropriately without talking face to face.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 27th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Im wasnt necessarily talking about religion when I said that. I understand that not everyone is religious and I accept that others dont need to live how I live. But excluding religion, I think sometimes we are over-dependent on science. Especially because science cant account for everything that happens. There are a lot of questions that science wont be able to answer, which is why I said earlier that there is more to life then just science. Science is still an amazing thing, but its not everything. [Keep in mind that this is purely my opinion and its perfectly alright if you do not agree]

In the end, I believe the biggest problem between those who are religious and are not is that we both are always striving for facts, but we look for them in different places. Thats where are views start to separate. We all want the answers to the same questions, we just end up finding those answers in two totally different places.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 28th, 2010 at 07:31am
LunacyFringe:
But excluding religion, I think sometimes we are over-dependent on science. Especially because science cant account for everything that happens. There are a lot of questions that science wont be able to answer, which is why I said earlier that there is more to life then just science. Science is still an amazing thing, but its not everything.
But nothing can account for everything, nothing has all the answers and I can't think of anyone who would just have science, science and more science in their life and nothing else.

It's kind of a fallacy to claim that science can't answer everything and science isn't everything because... well, obviously it can't. But it does explain a lot more than some other things in this world, like... religion and the Bible, which are two things people try and explain things with in this world. And I have to say, in terms of what can provide the most accurate answers - science is way ahead of most, if not all, things.