Don't have an account? Create one!

Beauty and perception

AuthorMessage
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 23rd, 2007 at 02:29pm
You can't define beauty.

To some, it may be blonde hair and blue eyes.
To others, it may be a good body.
And so on, and so forth.

Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 02:44am
lovecan'tsaveyou:
Alas, Babylon:
What is the difference between someone who is pretty, and someone who is beautiful?

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but when you really look at someone considered "beautiful," their features are almost completely symmetrical.

That is TRUE. There was a scientific study done on beauty, and it was determined that a beautiful face was defined as one that was completely symmetrical.

They also said that, throughout almost all cultures, blonde hair was considered the standard of beauty....something about how humans respond to light, and how the blonde hair actually reflects the light around the face, or something like that. More of a glow, I guess.

So, then, I guess Barbie Dolls would be considered the standard by which female beauty is judged?!

I'm not sure about this study, because I, for one, have always found black hair so much more attractive than blonde hair...which is odd, because I am VERY blonde.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 02:45am
Mr. Brightside.:
You can't define beauty.

To some, it may be blonde hair and blue eyes.
To others, it may be a good body.
And so on, and so forth.

I think that inner beauty is MUCH more important than external beauty. Physical beauty fades, but a beautiful spirit is timeless.

I also think that beauty isn't necessarily cosmetic, because you have those rare people who are beautiful even WITHOUT make-up. I rarely wear make-up myself, but that's only because make-up is so bad for the skin....and I rarely spend more than 15 minutes getting ready (10 min. if I'm not wearing make-up).

I'm pretty low-maintenance, and if that makes me ugly, oh well.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 02:55am
EATEN ALIVE:
well, if you are really gorgeus but act like total idiot/bitch/insert noun here, people wont really like you. sure some ppl will like to run around you and get pieces of attention for your looks, but in the end.. they dont care.

then again if you so-called ugly, which i think NO ONE is, there are a lot of people who dont even want to get to know you cause they are shallow and stare the fact that you dont get the flowers jealous for your looks or somthing like that, and those ppl may treat you like crap or ignore you, but THAT is not your thing to worry! cause its their problem if they're so stupid.

im not saying the looks dont matter, cause of course they do! but it means that you look like you take care of yourself, that you feel good the way you are, that you feel comfortable in your outfits, in your make up and everything like that, NOT what you face or body happens to look like.:]

//hope you get what i mean. me = not so good with explanations.

.....or even WITHOUT make-up, dude.

I think it's SO refreshing when a person can go out and not even worry about his/her looks, even to the point of not wearing make-up.

IMO, that is REALLY cool, and shows a lot of confidence. I'm not saying to be slovenly, or look completely tore-up...but there are some people who can just go out in jeans and a t-shirt, hair in a pony tail, no make-up, and be perfectly comfortable, and that is great.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 03:17am
I honestly don't think it's fair to judge ANYONE on their outer appearance, but if a person has bad hygeine, or is slovenly, then that just says something about their inner condition, because such people don't usually care much about themselves.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 03:30am
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx:
yeh although it shouldnt matter as much in todays society the way you look really does matter

although ... my image is slightly controversial in my area cos the majority of people are in to the hip hop scene so ignoring make up and stuff like that clothes make you stand out and attract negative attention

but the other day i was in a pub and i had red eye liner on as well as black and this woman really started criticising it and telling me that shes in the fasion industry blah blah blahhh and even tried to get me to take some of the red off

.....which just goes to show that, when it comes to being judged by looks, it's not just one's God-given features that are being judged...It's also the way a person makes him/herself to look.

IMO, this is JUST AS BAD as judging someone for their genetic traits.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 31st, 2007 at 03:42am
Eclipse:
Beeblebrox:
Yara; wtf...:
It's in my opinion that in this day and age, and society, beauty is very important. It's the difference between getting a job or not. People judge you by the way you look. If you're absolutely gorgeous, you get treated better.

I don't think that's entirely true. In my line of work (graphic artist) if you don't have the skills and training, you can be as drop dead gorgeous as a supermodel but you'll never get the job. In my experience job hunting in NYC, where the market is supremely tough, I've found that a spectacular looking portfolio and resume get you much further than a pretty face.

I used to work with a woman that looked EXACTLY like Cameron Diaz. She was tall, slim, blonde and perfect in every way. She actually got treated quite disgustingly by the men around the office. She was viewed as nice piece of ass instead of getting any respect.

So I would say outer beauty doesn not count for anything. I would say respect, honesty, and a warm friendly, open attitude coupled with good personal hygeine will get you anywhere you want to be in life.

This is an interesting comment to me, and it really raises the question...does beauty equate with sexiness?

I'm a female, but I do a guy's job for a living....I'm a technician, and do welding. In fact, I am the only female at my job, which I don't particularly like, but I deal.
Every day, I work on warehouse equipment, and I handle grease and hydraulic fluid. By the end of the day, I end up smelling like a garage....but it washes out, so it's not really that big of a deal.
I am DEFINITELY not pretty and feminine when I work...I wear a guy's uniform, which is NOT flattering whatsoever, and a welding mask......but it's weird, because at work, I still get hit on occasionally, which I don't REALLY understand, because I am the FURTHEST thing from "pretty" when I'm all greased-up. I've had guys tell me that they think it's sexy when a woman gets greasy....WHATEVER!!
So, all in all, I don't think that beauty is really all that equivocal with sex appeal. I just think that it all depends on what a person defines as "sexy."
bright lights x x
Really Not Okay
bright lights x x
December 31st, 2007 at 04:22pm
my opinion is if your a nice person who treats others with respect then that makes you pretty.
And really you dont have to impress anyone...God already thinks our beautiful but then again not everyone follows my religion.
It makes me sick to go to school and see all the "popular" girls get attention when really they're the meanest low life people you will ever meet.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
December 31st, 2007 at 04:58pm
I think sex appeal and physical beauty are very different, as are inner and outer beauty.

I hate it when people say "if your a good person, your beautiful". It's just not true. If you have an unattractive face but your kind, then your kind, but that doesn't make you any more attractive on the outside, it just makes people not care as much.

Then there is sex appeal, which everyone can have, it's all a matter of how you carry yourself. That's the best IMO. I have dated some pretty unattractive guys because they were full of it.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
December 31st, 2007 at 05:03pm
I think what makes someone beautiful is if their balanced,

their facial features are balanced and as are their mind Yes
bright lights x x
Really Not Okay
bright lights x x
December 31st, 2007 at 05:22pm
I will admit that i have thought a certain person was very unatractive, but then i got to really know the person and later on i thought that they were actually very pretty. It was weird...
but thats where i get my opinion from
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
January 1st, 2008 at 03:10am
^I forget where I read this, but apparently once you get to know someone it's easier to ignore his/her faults, physical and mental, which can lead to you finding him/her physically attractive when you wouldn't have before.

The Taste for Blood
Salute You in Your Grave
The Taste for Blood
January 3rd, 2008 at 03:57pm
No matter how you look it’s the inside that counts if you have a beautiful soul then to me you are beautiful. A guy could be hottest thing on this planet and he could be the biggest dick head that ever lived. I’m not saying that al people should go hippie and boy-cot make up nice clothes and bathing but that whatever you think is kewl is kewl to you and other people should respect that.

Blaqk Audio "Sweetness is just a matter of taste"
Save The Bunnies!!
Jazz Hands
Save The Bunnies!!
January 3rd, 2008 at 05:56pm
To me beauty is nothing.Beauty is a curse on the world.Everybody thinks that if nobodys beautiful then they arent anything.I just think beauty isnt everything.But many people are shallow in the world.I dont judge by looks because weither youre beautiful or not youre a person.Which means you should be treated with respect.
black_parader_
Killjoy
black_parader_
January 3rd, 2008 at 07:58pm
hadouken !:
society today is based too much on looks and beauty.
where has "personality is most important" gone?
i'd like a hot guy, sure, although i wouldn't stand for it if he was a complete asshole or idiot
i dont think beauty counts. i mean if you like someone its not just on how pretty they are... its about whether you get on with them and like their personality.
Gracie9746
Killjoy
Gracie9746
January 4th, 2008 at 06:26am
Alot of things in society are based on beauty. I think that no matter how many times people tell you 'it's only the person on the inside that matters' we will always care about how we look, even if we don't care about how others look.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
January 5th, 2008 at 02:54pm
beauty means something different to everysingle person,
someone may seem beautiful to one person, yet ugly to another,
its just personally what you feel
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
January 5th, 2008 at 05:34pm
I don't think there's a definite beauty, but I think there are certain things that are liked. Clear complexion, happy expression, well-groomed appearance and symmetry in a face are usually things considered good looking. However, inner beauty is important. While good looks can get you far, a good personality and attitude gets you further. Self-confidence is attractive too, especially to other sexes. So my answer to this question is both.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 5th, 2008 at 06:04pm
Some people feel better if they think they look better. It is sad that this is true, and it is sad the way society contributes both beauty and such feelings, but what can we do now?
Whatever makes you happy.
charlie_heart_mcr
Killjoy
charlie_heart_mcr
January 11th, 2008 at 04:27am
i think that everybody has beauty...

it doesn't matter what youlook like on the outside...

it matters about how nice//cariing//understanding youare. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Bye Razz