Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 10th, 2006 at 01:42pm
Let's try again.

I'm not interested in your weight, or how you starve yourself.
If your friend has bulimia/anorexia or whatever, I'm sorry. Go talk to her about it.

This is a discussion board. I don't want to see anything but discussions here.

What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?
Why do people get eating disorders?
How do we help people with eating disorders?

And please read the rules for the discussion board before you post.
Read all of them.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 10th, 2006 at 01:47pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? Eat healthily and excercise regularly. It's really simple. And set small goals for yourself to reach rather than just "I have to lose weight." If you say... i dunno... "by Christmas, I will fit into these jeans 1 or 2 sizes smaller" that's far more motivating and managable.
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? Unless they are morbidly obese, yes. But most people lose weight as they grow up anyway.
electric soldier sam
Awake and Unafraid
electric soldier sam
June 10th, 2006 at 03:27pm

I think some people are pushed into a disorder.
Okay, I worded that wrong. I think that they see pictures in magazines, they see how people look on television,
and they see people in the neighborhood, school, etc and think that they would rather be that way. Soon.
So they get a potentially dangerous eating disorder to get a body like those people.

Gaining weight can be a result of other people too.
Some people that get picked on or upset feel that eating junk food and sitting on the bed makes them feel better. (and it might)
This could lead to extra pounds, I suppose, if they don't work them off.

Or so I think, anyway.
Cute without the E
Salute You in Your Grave
Cute without the E
June 10th, 2006 at 03:59pm
Yes. They're still growing, so they need to eat the things that diets cut out. All they need is exercise and healthy food. Put them on a diet at a young age, and that could push them into an eating disorder later in life.
batsquad!
Awake and Unafraid
batsquad!
June 10th, 2006 at 06:41pm
How do we help people with eating disorders?

You can only truly help them gradually get over it.

I think that most people who do live with an eating disorder don't tell anyone and don't seek help because they believe they are improving themselves. And there is really no way to change their mentality.
Other.
Bleeding on the Floor
Other.
June 10th, 2006 at 11:49pm

Some teens may get eating disorderd because they are teased about there weight at school or something. If your parents or friends constantly tell you you're fat you may think you need to lose weight. Media deffinately has something to do with it. Models are always extremely thin.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 11th, 2006 at 04:11am
If your friends are mostly thin, you'll definetely feel pressure to lose weight. The thing is that they love you for who you are. And maybe boys never ask you out, and you think it's because you're overweight, when in fact he's probably too shy to ask. You think everyone stares at how massively gargantuan you are when you're out in town, when people are probably admiring your top. Loads of people in high school are surrounded by thinner people every day, who may just be naturally thin, and they feel like they have to be like them to be popular.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
June 11th, 2006 at 05:52am
I think media does have quite an impact on dieting and weight, but not on everyone.
I've spoken to people that have dealt with serious disorders, such as anorexia, and I've asked why they resorted to that.

It's all about wanting to be perfect, about being compared to those that you believe are perfect.
Even small remarks like, "Maybe that top would fit better in the next size" has some sort of effect on people.

You'll find these people are extremely low in self-esteem already, so when even the smallest comment is made, it sticks with them.

I think that many people do have a sense of self-doubt somewhere, whether it is a big issue for them, or not. But for people that suffer from eating disorders, self-doubt is something that contributes greatly.

When it comes to eating, sure, by all means eat healthy. But do it for the benefit of your body, not the benefit for the guy you like.
You need to feel happy and comfortable in the skin you're in - obviously people that suffer from eating disorders aren't.
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 11th, 2006 at 03:31pm
It's not always that people think they're too fat that they should lose weight. It's also about control.

Some people feel they have no control over anything that happens in their lives, but they can control what they eat, how much they eat, and when they eat.

Over eating is just as bad as anorexia and bulemia. It's like a comfort thing. They do it because it will make them feel happy, like food is something that will always be there for them, no matter what.

The media deffinalty has an impact on how people think about themselves. Especially in North America, where people are so influenced by Hollywood.

Exercise and a good healthy diet is the only way to lose weight, without making yourself sick.

It's only a good idea to put a child on a diet, if their weight is going to lead to diabetes, or other diseases. Not starving a child, no, but giving them healthy snacks like an apple or granola bar, rather than ice cream or potato chips is an okay diet.

You can only help someone with an eating disorder if they want help. But you should deffinalty tell them they have a problem, and they need to get help. You have to constantly remind them, until they realize what their doing to themself.

That's my opinion on the whole issue.
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
June 11th, 2006 at 08:03pm

No. If anybody watches the show "Honey, We're Killing the Kids", those families have reason to put their children on a diet. Kids that are obese (that is, clinically proven that they are overweight) need to go on diets. Otherwise, they could kill themselves.

Actually, teens going on diets is worse than young kids going on diets. Teens are growing into adults, the most important step their body will ever take. Children are just little people growing into teens, on their way to being adults.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
June 11th, 2006 at 08:08pm

While textbooks and other resources will tell you it because they think their fat or are teased. Well, actually its mental. Too many hormones are released, and there arent enough of those...lets call them ports. Starting an eating disorder causes less hormones to be released, yet more of the ports are added. The less you eat, the more ports that are added and not enough hormones to get into each of them. I dont know about the thought process (like "OMG! Im fat!"Wink, but that is what causes it mentally.
rhiaCYANIDE
Bleeding on the Floor
rhiaCYANIDE
June 11th, 2006 at 10:17pm
I think eating disorders are highly impacted by the media.

They teach young girls that they should be a size 0 not 7.

They give you the message that the outside is whats better than the inside, and that's they worst message to ever spread.
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
June 12th, 2006 at 08:54pm

If the kid is obese and a doctor has said that the kid needs to go on a diet. A young kid is still growing and depending on what type of diet they go on, they might no be getting the vitamins they need.

stormy
Demolition Lover
stormy
June 13th, 2006 at 04:55am
The media and society's views on what a young woman should look like play a factour in eating disorders. They effect self esteem and that plays an even bigger role in the development of an ED.

Diets are so tricky. You go on one that has you eating premade food...what happens when you go off of it after losing your weight and eat 'normally' again??? A lot of people gain it back.
People say that if you just eat right and exercise, you'll be fine, in the world today, thats easier said than done.

Treatment has to first go towards keeping them alive, taking care of their body.
After that, you need to work on fixing or at least blocking part of the thought process that fuels the thoughts that created the eating disorder.
Personally, I think like all disorders, that the person will never be 'cured' but rather recovering. You can't take the thoughts away fully forever, but you can equip them with tools to help them fight their own self damaging thoughts better.
omg stfu
Demolition Lover
omg stfu
June 13th, 2006 at 05:00am

Not at all. If it's a healthy diet, like simply cutting out fats and oils. Exercising more and making it more of a lifestyle than a diet, then I don't see what's wrong with it. It's teaching kids a healthier way to eat and live and that's the best thing you can do for your child in my opinion.
M!lly La Bam
Bleeding on the Floor
M!lly La Bam
June 13th, 2006 at 05:56am
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? Healthy eating and excercise. It works for me (When I decide to go "heath-o". xD)
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? Yes and no. yes mostly, because I guess the kids are still growing and they need sugers/calcium ect.
mollz
Salute You in Your Grave
mollz
June 14th, 2006 at 04:02am
Nabisco* is the Evna!:

Some teens may get eating disorderd because they are teased about there weight at school or something. If your parents or friends constantly tell you you're fat you may think you need to lose weight. Media deffinately has something to do with it. Models are always extremely thin.
My brother used to call me fat all the time, and it really does effect you. Especially having a guy call you fat. A friend of mine (that happened to be a boy) called me fat, and I believed him. I've never had an eating disorder though.

But I agree, friends and even siblings have a big impact on eating disorders.
secret_goldfish
Shotgun Sinner
secret_goldfish
June 14th, 2006 at 01:10pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight?

i think that an individual can eat anything that he/she wants as long as it is in proportion and he/she consumes a sufficient amount of vitamins (a, b, c, d, etc) and nutrients (protein, fats, carbs, sugar, starch, fiber). diets are not temporary, they should be a way of life, which is why dr. atkins is a load of dog doo doo. noone can eat just protein and be healthy, and i doubt that someone can eat just protein for the rest of their lives.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
June 22nd, 2006 at 12:58am
I wish schools tought about eating disorders just as much as STD's.
Last term, we had five lessons on how oral sex is just as dangerous as regular sexual intercourse, but I've never once in my life learned about eating disorders.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
June 22nd, 2006 at 01:02am
Trisha[Bandit]:
I wish schools tought about eating disorders just as much as STD's.
Last term, we had five lessons on how oral sex is just as dangerous as regular sexual intercourse, but I've never once in my life learned about eating disorders.

I agree with you, they dont teach enough about it. Eating disorders were apart of the nutrition unit at my school. I didnt like the way they taught it. They made it seem as if everybody starts an eating disorder because they think their fat. Then we watched a video the next day and were finished with it. Its a bit more important than sex, because thats going to happen anyway. Eating disorders are something that should be taught so its avoided.