Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
February 3rd, 2008 at 11:09pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
-I think a good way to lose weight is to exercise regularly, maintain a healthy eating regime and not cave into peer pressure.

Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?
-it really depends on the kid and if they are considered 'medically obese' , i would say. if you're around the normal weight for your age, then it's fine. you don't need it. just eat healthy and try to maintain that. but if you're not in the 'normal' weight for your age, then you should probably look into some diets and start eating healthier and exercising.

Why do people get eating disorders?
-peer pressure. celebrities. basically, your friends who tell you you need to lose weight or the people everyone looks up to. seeing them thin and whatnot makes you think 'i want to look like that. i want to be thin.'
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
February 4th, 2008 at 08:28am
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?:

Depends, for health and medical reasons, yes. Because of peer or parental pressure. no.

Why do people get eating disorders:

Now while i can't speak from experience, nor expertise, i don't think it's fair to say that the media is a main factor in the devlopment of all eating disorders. mostly because a) all eating disorders are caused by different things for different people and b) if this was the case wouldn't every girl who wants to lose weight after reading a magazine or watching a fashion show develop an eating disorder?
Eating disorders are a mental disease, scientific research shows there may be a genetic link as well. So, to develop a genuine eating disorder the predisoposition has to be there in the first place. I know for a lot of them it's about control, or about getting attention, in a lot of cases the main cause has nothing to do with wanting to be thin. Now while the media probably isn't a very positive outlet for young girls, i don't think its fair to blame for eating disorders among women and men. After all the first case of anorexia was reported in the 1800's, long before the mass media we have today. That and eating disorders affect children as young as 7 and people as old as 70. They don't develop the disease because of the media because their either too young to notice, or too old to not know the truth about the modelling industry.

Unfortunatey I think a lot of people are ill informed and this leads to misinformation about eating disorders reaching those who need help the most.

anyway thats my 2 cents
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 4th, 2008 at 08:32am
with eating disorders, its a mental issue. its caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, which causes the person to see themselves looking fat, and they feel the need to be skinny.
ive seen a picture (photoshopped to get the message across) of a grotesquely skinny girl looking into the mirror. in the mirror, the audience sees what she thinks she sees. a slightly overwights version of her. the real her is extremely skinny. just skin and bones. but thats not what she sees.
to get over an eating disorder, the person has to admit they have a problem, which can be the hardest part...
HEARRTXX
Fabulous Killjoy
HEARRTXX
February 5th, 2008 at 11:02am
its totally a mental issue, sum people actually have it some do it for attention. they need to talk to someone and let there feelings out, they need to learn to love themselves and not give up.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
February 5th, 2008 at 09:54pm
if a young kid goes on a diet then it better be for medical reasons, not because he/she feels the need to lose weight because of the media.
superhumangorilla
Jazz Hands
superhumangorilla
February 18th, 2008 at 07:51am
^^^ Agreed.

**When I'm at school I don't eat.
I go from 7:30am till 4:30pm without eating anything

Is that bad????
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 18th, 2008 at 08:03am
i dunno. as long as your healthy, its ok i guess. i think your meant to have 3 meals a day... but as long as your happy and healthy Smile
and breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
superhumangorilla
Jazz Hands
superhumangorilla
February 18th, 2008 at 08:33am
gah I hate breakfast (but my mum make me eat it)
I'm not hungry, so I think it's just how my body is...
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
February 19th, 2008 at 09:26pm
superhumangorilla:
gah I hate breakfast (but my mum make me eat it)
I'm not hungry, so I think it's just how my body is...
Yara; wtf...:
I'm not interested in your weight, or how you starve yourself.
If your friend has bulimia/anorexia or whatever, I'm sorry. Go talk to her about it.

This is a discussion board. I don't want to see anything but discussions here.

Maybe questions about skipping meals belong in the personal questions forum? I know you aren't starving yourself, but that's not really a discussion point to add.

Anywho, just so you know, it's unhealthy to skip any meal, but especially breakfast. Breakfast is supposed to be the biggest meal you eat all day.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
March 3rd, 2008 at 02:12pm
The worst thing you can every say to a girl is "your FAT!"
It makes them paranoid, even if they aren't.
Usually it's something that a family member says or a boy that makes girls have eating disorder.
Or if your boyfriend broke up with you, you may come to the conclusion that your fat.

I don't know anything to do with why boys would have an eating disorder.
anyone know why they would?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 3rd, 2008 at 03:16pm
Sonnet 130:
The worst thing you can every say to a girl is "your FAT!"
It makes them paranoid, even if they aren't.
Usually it's something that a family member says or a boy that makes girls have eating disorder.
Or if your boyfriend broke up with you, you may come to the conclusion that your fat.

I don't know anything to do with why boys would have an eating disorder.
anyone know why they would?

Well, the thing is, a lot people who get eating disorders may never have previously had any issues with thinking they are fat, or even being told they are fat.
Boys get them for the same reasons as girls...it's control issue. Though that said, I cannot explain why the percentage of girls with EDs is much higher than that of boys.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
March 3rd, 2008 at 06:59pm
I think it is often a control issue, yes, but I think girls get them more than boys because girls are under more pressure to be skinny. Guys can have some extra weight and still be considered attractive, but the amount of people -- including girls themselves -- who think girls are attractive with a little extra weight on them seems to be either very small or very quiet.

Do I think kids should go on diets? Yes -- a healthy one. I also think it's a lot easier to eat healthily if you have a decent working knowledge of where food comes from and how it's grown/raised. A lot of kids don't quite seem to "get" that you grow fruits and vegetables, that meat comes from dead animals and that chicken nuggets have never seen a chicken. Laughing But seriously... I think it's really bad that people are so poorly informed about where their food comes from and exactly what goes into the food they eat. I think educating people about this kind of thing would help a lot of people eat more healthily.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 3rd, 2008 at 07:38pm
well what if your just not hungery? you just feel sick if you do it and theres nothing you can really do?
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 3rd, 2008 at 09:37pm
illustrated_romance:
well what if your just not hungery? you just feel sick if you do it and theres nothing you can really do?

it's OK to not eat if u're hungry. ideally u should eat when u're hungry & stop when u're full. But if u notice that u HARDLY ever have an appetite & smthing's not normal, pls don't ignore it -- get medical advice.

Generally, i think we alwyas need at least 1 person in our lives who can tell us frm an objectiv point of view whether we really are too skinny or too fat etc.

Also remember that there r different reasons why ppl starve themselves or binge. it seems to me it's a primarily psychological problem, & if u can get over that the battle is half over. people need to *not* be afraid to reach for help.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
March 9th, 2008 at 01:31pm
well i think one reason eating disorders are brought on, is because of society, the affect is has on girlsis astonishing. now every girl and her mother feels the need to be skinny, not healthy. and some start off on regular diets, but when they dont see results immediatly, they go to drastic measure and starve themselves, or throw up after meals. its really sad to see how far girls will go for the image of beauty.

i can understand going on diets to loose weight and become healthier, heck i'm trying to do that, but its important to remember the difference between skinny and healthy.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 10th, 2008 at 01:32am
Collision Kiss:
illustrated_romance:

it's OK to not eat if u're hungry. ideally u should eat when u're hungry & stop when u're full. But if u notice that u HARDLY ever have an appetite & smthing's not normal, pls don't ignore it -- get medical advice.

Generally, i think we alwyas need at least 1 person in our lives who can tell us frm an objectiv point of view whether we really are too skinny or too fat etc.

Also remember that there r different reasons why ppl starve themselves or binge. it seems to me it's a primarily psychological problem, & if u can get over that the battle is half over. people need to *not* be afraid to reach for help.

well would it be an eating disorder?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 10th, 2008 at 06:27am
^It could be an eating disorder if you don't eat for long periods of time. I'm talking days. Obviously, if you feel sick on day, then not eating won't make much difference. But if you go without eating for, say, a week, then you might have a problem.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 10th, 2008 at 08:53pm
^ thanks, I'm just not hungery anymore and eat like a meal a day only cause I force myself too. the other day I binged though and I got so sick, I've lost like 2 pounds because of this in the past three weeks, it just randomly started
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 19th, 2008 at 10:30pm
I think dieting is good if you really need to. Eating healthy is even better. Exercising daily or every other day is great. I think the people who have eating disorders think that they need to be just as skinny as the people they see in magazines and on tv. The media is pretty much pressuring everyone to be stick skinny and then you'll be popular or prettier. I have no clue. I dont know anyone with a eating disorder and I hope I never meet someone who does.
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 06:36pm
A good way to lose weight is to eat healthy and exercise. Eating healthy is NOT the same thing as eating lightly, to eat healthy means cutting out all those pies and cakes you scarf down every day and replacing with it a salad, eat cakes just once a while. And when I say exercise, that doesn't mean overexercising. Overexertion in exercise or exercising too often can actually kill you, it's just as dangerous as starving yourself to death. Just turn you afternoon stroll into an afternoon jog, or if you don't even do that, then make some time for an afternoon jog. It's really not necessary for young children to go on diets, most kids go outside and play on playgrounds while they're at school, and if you notice... they have a lot of energy to burn, which they do by playing. People get eating disorders because they see somewhere the sticks that wear lovely dresses and call themselves models (sorry for any offense). They get into their head that that's what they're supposed to look like, and no one can tell them any different. It's hard to help people with an eating disorder, because not only is anorexia or bulimia a disease that deals with your diet, it affects your state of mind as well. All they can do really is see therapists, go to support groups, and talk to a doctor.