Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
calculated sacrifice
Shotgun Sinner
calculated sacrifice
March 25th, 2008 at 07:39am
Yara; wtf...:

What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?
Why do people get eating disorders?
How do we help people with eating disorders?

And please read the rules for the discussion board before you post.
Read all of them.

a good way to lose weight would have to be excercise and not eating excess food (junk). Dont skip meals so you wouldnt have to eat alot on the next one.

It is bad for young people to go on diets because they need all the nutrition they can get. And depriving them of that would make them sickly.

People can get eating disorders because of how they think they look or how people have treated them about the way they look. Some people think theyre too fat so they stop eating, some people think theyre too thin so they start bingeing, and then there are rare cases when someone thinks that they are too skinny so they binge and then feel that they are fat when they do so, so they purge. Most of these people think this way because of what society is posing as the "perfect body" via all of these advertisements with people whose bodies are just right, not perfect, JUST RIGHT. Then, there are those people at school or work who bully those people telling them that they're too fat or too thin and make them feel bad about it.

You can help those people by asking them how they feel, how they see themselves, and then tell them to look at their friends and ask how that person sees them . Show that person that there isnt much difference and that each and everyone of us are made differently. If the eating disorder is... bulimia. Make that person eat just a little bit at a time even if its just a nibble just so they can get used to eating again. If the disorder is bingeing then make that person slow down, show that person how they can get just a little bit more... meaty, to put it in a way, like eating meat and fruits. Talk to them, dont make them feel like theyre different and outcasted, because sometimes eating disorders can come from inferiority complex
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
March 25th, 2008 at 01:07pm
I did a paper on Eating disorders. It fucking amazes me how far these people go just to look skinny. They destroy their bodies to loss a few pounds. Stupid! Neutral
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
April 1st, 2008 at 06:25pm
staying healthy. being active. getting rest.

yes. it can lead to eating disorders. and it's not good because they're still growing.

because they have body dismorphic disorder or peer pressure or they see themselves "fat". it's a shame.

talk to them. and if they don't listen, prove to them, find evidence that'll persue them. persue [sp?].
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 11th, 2008 at 01:02am
I'm Not Okay90:
I did a paper on Eating disorders. It fucking amazes me how far these people go just to look skinny. They destroy their bodies to loss a few pounds. Stupid! Neutral

I'm sorry for the necroing of this thread, but I couldn't not reply to the ignorance of this post.

I've suffered from an eating disorder for the past four years of my life, and most people cannot understand its not about looking skinny.

It's a coping mechanism. Mine began when I developed faster than everyone else around me, and I felt like the black sheep and at the beginning I felt, maybe, if I could lose some weight I'd be normal, but it spiraled into a big thing. It's like how some people cut, that's a coping device. Of course, not healthy but it's exactly the same thing.

It angers me to see people thinking that eating disordered people are just doing it to lose weight, and no. That's just how we deal with things. Some people cut, some people starve.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 11th, 2008 at 01:05am
new born.:
a person who is anorexic constantly sees his or herself as fat -- they can be a perfect looking stick, but once they look in that mirror, they see their bodies outlined with fat. that is anorexia nervosa.
but you can ALSO just have anorexia, which is just the need to be thin.

No, anorexia nervosa covers both of those.

Just 'anorexia' means lack of appetite, which is why you see it as a side effect of some medications.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 04:08am
rukan:
I'm Not Okay90:

I'm sorry for the necroing of this thread, but I couldn't not reply to the ignorance of this post.

I've suffered from an eating disorder for the past four years of my life, and most people cannot understand its not about looking skinny.

It's a coping mechanism. Mine began when I developed faster than everyone else around me, and I felt like the black sheep and at the beginning I felt, maybe, if I could lose some weight I'd be normal, but it spiraled into a big thing. It's like how some people cut, that's a coping device. Of course, not healthy but it's exactly the same thing.

It angers me to see people thinking that eating disordered people are just doing it to lose weight, and no. That's just how we deal with things. Some people cut, some people starve.

Despite the fact that you have had an eating disorder, you cannot claim that what you have been through is the same for everyone else who has an eating disorder. I don't doubt what you went through, but I have met and have been friends with people [in highschoo] who did in fact develop an eating disorder to look skinny, because that is how they felt they were going to achieve beauty. So you can't say that it is just a coping mechanism. Assuming that you're experience with it is more valid than other's is what is ignorant.

I apologise if this comes across in a bad way, I don't think badly of you in any way.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 11th, 2008 at 09:27am
techno cocaine.:
rukan:
I'm Not Okay90:

Despite the fact that you have had an eating disorder, you cannot claim that what you have been through is the same for everyone else who has an eating disorder. I don't doubt what you went through, but I have met and have been friends with people [in highschoo] who did in fact develop an eating disorder to look skinny, because that is how they felt they were going to achieve beauty. So you can't say that it is just a coping mechanism. Assuming that you're experience with it is more valid than other's is what is ignorant.

I apologise if this comes across in a bad way, I don't think badly of you in any way.

No hard feelings. I don't want to seem like I know everyone who's ever had an eating disorder, but those who begin it to look skinny, it becomes more than that, and it just becomes and obsession about numbers and food. Of course it starts out wanting to look skinny. I just wanted to address the other post because it's always been something that bothers me :/ When people say that eating disordered people only do it to lose weight, and it's stupid.
theghostofyou123
Killjoy
theghostofyou123
May 11th, 2008 at 09:38am
- What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
A good way to lose weight is to go on a diet, nothing crazy just some small, healthy changes in your daily diet, and to excerise a few times a week for about an hour each time.
- It depends on the kid in question. If the young kid is overweight to a point where it is causing health problems, they might want to start a diet. Otherwise, I don't think that young kids should go on diets.
- People get eating disorders because they become so obsessed with losing weight, they go to unhealthy lengths to do so.
- To help people with eating disorders, I think we should get them to admit that they having a disorder, and then talk to them about healthy ways to lose weight vs. unhealthy ways to lose weight. If, after we talk to them, they still have an eating disorders, we could seek some professional help.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 10:10am
rukan:

No hard feelings. I don't want to seem like I know everyone who's ever had an eating disorder, but those who begin it to look skinny, it becomes more than that, and it just becomes and obsession about numbers and food. Of course it starts out wanting to look skinny. I just wanted to address the other post because it's always been something that bothers me :/ When people say that eating disordered people only do it to lose weight, and it's stupid.

I understand now (:
Nadia Way
Jazz Hands
Nadia Way
May 11th, 2008 at 08:06pm
this sounds ttly lame but it's true...
if you feel good on the inside you'll start to look good on the outside.
rest, heat healthy and exercise
Nadia Way
Jazz Hands
Nadia Way
May 11th, 2008 at 08:06pm
*eat healthy xD sorry i was typing fast
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 11th, 2008 at 08:07pm
^You can edit your posts btw, so you don't have to post again to correct your spelling (:
mika_ap
Killjoy
mika_ap
May 12th, 2008 at 10:17am
good way to lose weight = reduce the junk food (not stop eating) and do a little bit of exercise everyday (doesn't have to be hardcore stuff, maybe just like a few jumping jacks a day).

diet bad for young kids? - if the kid's overweight, then a little diet cant hurt. but kids really shouldn't go on diets because they're growing.

why people get eating disorders = media, peer pressure, stress, heartache, popularity issues at school

how to help people with eating disorders = spend a lot of time with that person, show them that how they look doesnt matter (i know that sounds cheesy but you should love people for who they are), make healthy food decisions together... basically BE WITH THEM!

i'm not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe show the effects of eating disorders. i dont wanna scare the person, but maybe they need like a wake up call.

- mika ap

and i totally agree. eating disorder doesn't just mean losing weight.
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
May 17th, 2008 at 12:58am
A good way to lose weight other than starving yourself or forcing yourself to throw up is to simply eat healthy and excersize regularly. Personally, I'm not a fan of diets for kids my age because teenagers tend to get so obsessed that they are led to an eating disorder, which sometimes lead to death.
Not good.
People get eating disorders because they want to look skinny and they want to look perfect. To them, the more weight they lose, the better. We help them by putting them in front of a mirror and showing them what they're doing to themselves, and also reccomending a counselor or teacher for them to talk to.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
May 17th, 2008 at 05:39pm
little bella muerte:
People get eating disorders because they want to look skinny and they want to look perfect. To them, the more weight they lose, the better. We help them by putting them in front of a mirror and showing them what they're doing to themselves, and also reccomending a counselor or teacher for them to talk to.

Not all eating disorders start because the person wants to look "perfect". Most of the time it's a matter of being in control, not so much the desire to be thin and perfect.
And putting them in front of a mirror won't do anything. The person has a distorted image of themselves; when they look in the mirror they see an obese person, not the real image.
Recommending a counselor would be a good idea, but a better step to getting them healthy again would just be sending them to a rehabilitation center. Some people with eating disorders refuse to believe they have on, so just recommending or even sending them to a counselor may not help.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 18th, 2008 at 12:11am
^ but even sending them away may not work. to start the whole healing process, the person has to admit they have a problem. so that may not work either. its extremely hard.
one of my friends had bulimia, and it took her about a year to admit to it. she was an azmaing runner, and had to give that up. then, as she was healing from bulimia, she became very depressed and suicidal. it was a very hard time for her, but now she's happy and at a healthy weight and even running again.

i used this pic in an assignent for art. we had to create a site specific work (a sculptor or things like that for a specific place). i did mine on mental illnesses, including anorexia/bulimia, cos i know a lot about mental illness and i suffer from some. anyway, this pic really made me think, cos it kinda shows you what a person who has anorexia or bulimia sees. its a very sad picture, it make me quite emotional, but its amazing. it just saddens me to think that people who look so unhealthy skinny think they look fat. and this pic, the girl in the mirror isnt even fat.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 22nd, 2008 at 11:04pm
amyy.vengeance:
^ but even sending them away may not work. to start the whole healing process, the person has to admit they have a problem. so that may not work either. its extremely hard.
one of my friends had bulimia, and it took her about a year to admit to it. she was an azmaing runner, and had to give that up. then, as she was healing from bulimia, she became very depressed and suicidal. it was a very hard time for her, but now she's happy and at a healthy weight and even running again.

i used this pic in an assignent for art. we had to create a site specific work (a sculptor or things like that for a specific place). i did mine on mental illnesses, including anorexia/bulimia, cos i know a lot about mental illness and i suffer from some. anyway, this pic really made me think, cos it kinda shows you what a person who has anorexia or bulimia sees. its a very sad picture, it make me quite emotional, but its amazing. it just saddens me to think that people who look so unhealthy skinny think they look fat. and this pic, the girl in the mirror isnt even fat.

Yeah, she isn't fat. She's at the larger side of average. But from my experience, looking in the mirror, you don't see an obese person. You see yourself, but not how everyone else sees it.

Like, you may have thin thighs, but all you see is the little bit of flab at the top. Or you may have a bony chest, but you only see the bit of armpit flab when you wear strapless things. Does that make any sense?

You don't see an obese person, you just never see what's good enough. Like, i really don't mean to sound cocky, but like, I guess I have a good figure. 32C, 23 inch waist, and a umm, large butt. haha.

But all I see is how big my thighs are, and lovehandles. Idk, and when you're as sick as the girl in the picture looks, being called average = fat.

Healthy means fat to most eating disordered people. And I'm not just pulling all this out of my ass. I mod a couple eating disordered communities, and I'm part of a lot of them. So, yeah.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 23rd, 2008 at 09:30am
- how young is young? I think that putting a kid on a diet is wrong, but if they are getting rather fat, then cut down on the sweets, go play football over the park, get the kid active, and eating properly. If you know they are getting more food elsewhere, cut back on what you give them. That is a healthy way of getting a young kid to loose weight, without it being dangerous.

- I don't personally know anyone with an eating disorder, but I do have a friend who is hypersensitive to her weight, and body image. I think it is a confidence thing, (I don't know, so don't quote me) I think if a person, usually a girl, feels that they look different, or they see someone else that looks better than them, they fixate on why that person is 'better', and because its such an obvious thing, they usually think it is their body. As I said, I don't know, but that's what I would presume might spark it.

- because I don't really understand the concept of having an eating disorder, I don't really know, but maybe try to convince them that they aren't what they see in the mirror. I don't know how you would do this if some one is so convinced that they are starving themselves...Maybe, you could try drawing having her draw what she see in the mirror, and then have her trace a photo of herself onto a transparency, and then overlay the two images, so she can clearly see that she doesn't look like that. I don't really know. I'd like to know what exactly causes eating disorders, triggers them, and what a person who suffers sees. I know someone said that you fixate on the little bits that are wrong, but are those parts actually bigger, or wrong, or is it that part of you almost wants them to be like that?

sorry it was so long, and didn't say very much
Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
June 16th, 2008 at 03:20pm
To be perfectly honest i think the meaning of it varies.
I don't think people should go on diets, i think they should eat healthily, excercise regularly and drink lots of water.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 16th, 2008 at 04:38pm
Eat healthily, excercise.

That depends on what "diet" is. If "diet" means cutting out sweets, fat and low fiber food, well, basically start eating right. Then a lot of kids need and should "go on a diet".
However, forcing mothers to stop breastfeeding cause an infant is putting on is just wrong. Most babies loose that fat as soon as they get up and about and start walking.

Millions of people, millions of reasons. Blaming just one thing, like fashion, is a bit one sided.