Don't have an account? Create one!

Fate, or free will? Which controls us?

AuthorMessage
xAsleep Or Deadx
Banned
xAsleep Or Deadx
June 14th, 2006 at 05:49am
Free will...
stop blaming fate just because your messed up or something..Its all your fault you did something that turned you to a messed up person don't blame something that doesn't have anything to do with your life!

but hey it's just me..believe what you wanted to believe..
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 14th, 2006 at 02:15pm
Let's say Fate exists. And Fate wants me to be a a world famous accoustic guitar player.

Let's say I find out that that's what Fate wants me to do.
So I sit back and relax. I don't practice the guitar. I don't even leave the house, because "Hey, if Fate wants me to be famous, I'll be famous."

See how it doesn't make any sense? If I want to be a world famous accoustic guitar player, it will have nothing to do with Fate, and everything to do with my skills and motivation to play and be famous.
Sheri; on the Coast!
Always Born a Crime
Sheri; on the Coast!
June 14th, 2006 at 02:21pm
I think it's both. I think the outcome of our lives are predetermined.

But I think there's many courses we must choose to get there.
scandalous.
Always Born a Crime
scandalous.
June 14th, 2006 at 02:32pm
My fate is death.
And that it's up to me to decide what happens before then.
=|
Other.
Bleeding on the Floor
Other.
June 14th, 2006 at 03:32pm
I think it's mostly free will and a little bit of fate. I think there's some higher power that nudges people into the right places to make something happen, but ultimately it's the choice of the person. Fate just makes the opportunities.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 14th, 2006 at 05:55pm
I think that we have free will, but we are going to act a certain way in whatever situation we are put in because of who we are. I don't know what that counts as.
john bonham.
Bulletproof Heart
john bonham.
June 14th, 2006 at 06:06pm
Depending on fate isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to work for what you want.
LouderNow
Really Not Okay
LouderNow
June 14th, 2006 at 06:38pm
I belive in fate, mainly because life was already set out for you (if you have a religion or whatever). Even if you think its free will, i still think everything is controlled by fate
kids
Salute You in Your Grave
kids
June 14th, 2006 at 09:26pm
For the most part I think it's free will, decisions and stuff.
But fate controls our decisions, I believe.
If this makes sense ;].
House of Dominique
Thinking Happy Thoughts
House of Dominique
June 15th, 2006 at 11:20pm
I think fate goes hand in hand with free will. Fate is what gives us opportunites to do things to better our lives, but free will is what makes us go through with it.

For example... If your teacher gives you three extra days to study for a test, that's fate. It could very well make your life a lot better by making you get a good grade or really screw you over if you get a bad one.
Free will is what you do with those three days. It's whether you spend them studying for this big test or if you ignore it and fail.

Another example... There is an opportunity to work with a professional in the field of your choice for a day to get a sort of taste of his or her job is like each day. However, the only way you can do this is by keeping your school grades up and making sure you do you best.
Free will is whether you keep up your grades and do your best, or slack off.

Atleast, that's my take on it.
GODZILLA.
Salute You in Your Grave
GODZILLA.
September 24th, 2006 at 06:23pm
the way i see it, You have some control over your life.
But in the recent month or so, a bunch of stuff happened to me to make me question that.
If i was in control it never would've happened.
I've started believe a bit in fate lately, because i know the stuff thats been going on happened for a reason.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 25th, 2006 at 06:40am
I think fate gives us a limit to our achievements. Lets face it, there are some people who just have really bad luck and no matter how hard they work or how talented they are, nothing ever seems to work out for them. But I think its up to you to make it happen. Its up to you to make it to the point where fate becomes involved. If Ray Toro never practiced, he wouldn't play with My Chem. But because he did, he had the opportunity. Some people practice just as hard, but it just doesn't happen. (I know this is all waffly, but I'm finding it quite hard to express exactly what I mean on this one.)
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
September 26th, 2006 at 03:13am
I believe both. We have free will to alter and change our lives for better or for worse but also sometimes there is stuff in your life that happens that you just couldnt expect or believe and that is when fate is playing its part.

Mud you arent waffling, i get your point
Femme
Salute You in Your Grave
Femme
September 26th, 2006 at 04:18am
Free Will all the WaY
Fate is overated
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
September 28th, 2006 at 03:21pm
i beleive that everything happens for a reason, it may be fate - depends on the circumstances.
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
October 2nd, 2006 at 03:02pm
i personally believe more in fate. sometimes my free will is horrible.
cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
October 8th, 2006 at 02:03am
You're My Heroine:
I think fate goes hand in hand with free will. Fate is what gives us opportunites to do things to better our lives, but free will is what makes us go through with it.

For example... If your teacher gives you three extra days to study for a test, that's fate. It could very well make your life a lot better by making you get a good grade or really screw you over if you get a bad one.
Free will is what you do with those three days. It's whether you spend them studying for this big test or if you ignore it and fail.

Another example... There is an opportunity to work with a professional in the field of your choice for a day to get a sort of taste of his or her job is like each day. However, the only way you can do this is by keeping your school grades up and making sure you do you best.
Free will is whether you keep up your grades and do your best, or slack off.

Atleast, that's my take on it.
I actually agree with that. It makes sense.

But I do not believe that our fates are predetermined. I think this is a little... hard to swallow, let's put it?
If so, who chose our the fate for us?
And I don't believe in God, so please, don't play that card.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
October 8th, 2006 at 09:48pm
I believe fate and free will work together, hand in hand. I have this trange belief that fate wants me to be in a bnad and play guitar because my brother took guitar for a month and then the guitar teacher dissappeared mysteriously and left his guitar. Ever since then I've picked it up and practiced like theres no tomorrow and found out I have a gift for the instrument.

So, if fate wants me to be a famous guitar player, I must work to get there. Fate is powered by free will.
dana eats dreams
Banned
dana eats dreams
October 8th, 2006 at 09:50pm
Edlaine:
Tsch. Fate.

Free will controls me, not fate. Some people say such things like,

"Fate decides,"
"Because fate wants us to,"

so that they would have something to blame other than themselves. For me, it's pathetic.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
October 12th, 2006 at 09:08pm
1. Check before you make a new thread. Duplicates get deleted.

2. Spam is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Stick to the topic at all times.

3. Keep it as calm and civilized as possible please. Let people have their own opinions, don't force yours on anyone.

4. No pyramid quoting.

5. No spam threads. This means no "rate this or that" thread. No "how do u liek chocolat?" or "i liek pie, do u?".

6. If I lock/delete your thread, read these rules again. Did your thread break any of the rules? If so, you have no right to complain. If your thread was wrongfully locked/deleted, pm me and we can talk about it.

7. If you want to talk about MCR, you can do so in the Band board.

8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

9. I don't allow profanity here.

10. "Page claim" is spam. Spam is not allowed.

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

12. No Chat Speak! Use proper grammar please!

13. If you're unsure about making a thread because of any reason, pm me first and I will let you know if it's ok or not.

14. If someone makes a thread that doesn't belong here, don't waste four pages telling this person off. Just ignore it until someone comes online and deals with it.