Don't have an account? Create one!

Fate, or free will? Which controls us?

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 12th, 2009 at 08:33pm
^ that's pretty much how I feel

for me, it's like, there is a fate of sorts. As in something will end up one way, but not because of a creator or a master plan. A plane, for example. Maybe it crashes in the ocean. But that happened for a reason. Maybe it got hit by lighting. But that lightning happened for a reason, maybe a cold front and a warm front collided and created the lightning that brought down the plane. And events and materials in the past created the fronts. So basically, I believe that there is only one way that things will work out to be like in the end. We control it to some degree, but there is only one way that we will act, and the result of that is what happens.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
June 15th, 2009 at 10:22am
I believe in both really. I think there is fate, like if you meet a certain person or you have a certain career, but how you get there is your choice, but your outcome is always the same. If that makes any sense. Sorry if I repeated anything anyone else has said. I didn't read any posts and my computer crashed a few weeks ago.
spiderpig-
Really Not Okay
spiderpig-
June 19th, 2009 at 05:23am
i think it is fate . really . it is more that way .
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 19th, 2009 at 06:53am
machinesrant.:
i think it is fate . really . it is more that way .

Would you care to explain?
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
July 2nd, 2009 at 12:21am
I see fate as something that is changing constantly...like the future, you know, it changes with the decisions I make.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 2nd, 2009 at 04:41pm
^ But then, is it really fate? or is it just the future?
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
July 3rd, 2009 at 01:01am
It's fate because it's something destined to happen.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 3rd, 2009 at 08:00am
Well its not really destined if it's changing constanly is it?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 5th, 2009 at 03:40am
If you believe theoretical physics, that time is an illusion and that all of space and time at any given moment exists in entirety then there is no changing the future. The future has and always will exist as it is, we simply can not see it because of our relative view of reality. What these theories are saying is very much the same as what the Tralfamadorians in Slaughterhouse Five tell Billy Pilgrim.
Detonator.
Really Not Okay
Detonator.
July 8th, 2009 at 04:27am
Hm. I'm more towards that our actions create our own futures, not fate.

In my opinion, fate is a reflection of people's desires to believe that there are higher powers. I think fate's more about humans striving for the meaning of life, so that it doesn't seem so scary, and they don't feel so lost.

I think fate is a result of people's fears of the unknown. Humans want things to happen for a reason, it gives them hope. Again, the idea of "life" doesn't seem so scary.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
July 10th, 2009 at 06:30am
I think we're all on paths that can change depending on our decisions. For example I'm on a path then I see two doors. I can go through one or other or neither. It's still fate because I'm being shown two doors not five or three or whatever but I still have a choice. So it's both fate and free will working together,
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
August 8th, 2009 at 08:45am
A little bit of both.
In my own opinion, the good things in our life arre meant to happen, but some times, our free will destroys the chance of those good things happening.
white_lies_red_truth
Fabulous Killjoy
white_lies_red_truth
August 15th, 2009 at 12:03pm
personally i dont believe in time as a fluid perception of reality. Also we dont own the past, the future does not exist. only the present actually controls us, those who cling to the past, or obsess about the future often end up missing the now.
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
August 21st, 2009 at 06:12pm
I believe that we have free will and that it affects the course of our lives to a great extent. But there is also fate that can land us in situations that are beyond our control. If you believe in only free will, then it really means that everyone is controlling you as their choices affect outcomes on your life. Which then leads to the conclusion that other people control the outcome of your life much more than you do. That is something that I cannot accept, so I would think that I believe in fate.

But with that belief in fate it contradicts many things that happen in life, there are things in your control that affect the course of your life, and if you leave everything up to fate you will become a failure in life. Fate cannot explain anything other than that it happened, and it does not explain how there are many outcomes to situations that can all occur. With Fate there is only one option that could happen, and while one option does occur the possiblilities that could happen far to numerous to begin to imagine. There are infinately many situations that could occur every given second and if only one is going to happen then it would mean that there is something that is controlling everything in the world. If that thing is controlling everything, then it would have to have infinate power and have complete control over everything and since there is nothing that is perfect and chance can ruin anything and there are forces beyond control, it leads me to believe that fate is wrong.

With these two views, it is imppossible to distinguish one over the other. Each could be right but there is no perfect case. With this in mind it makes me believe that neither can exist without the other functioning and that both support and deny the other. It is a very perplexing question that the only real answer could be that both happen at the same time, and that neither one completely controls everything. Personally, I say that shit happens, you have to adjust yourself for the uncontrollable and that you have to fight through life in order to truely live it.

Im sorry for such a long answer, but I really think about questions like this ^^
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
August 21st, 2009 at 08:22pm
Someone used the two doors thing, where it's fate cause there is two door, instead of 3 or 5.

Well, if it;s fate then wouldn't it be fate that you pick which ever door? Yes, there is choices but are you predetermined to choose one thing or the other?
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
August 21st, 2009 at 10:39pm
Well if you use what the person above is saying, if you are fated to pick a certain door, then the offer was fated to be given to you, etc. and etc. where you never get an answer it just keeps going back and back to when you were created as an egg and sperm, then your parents and back and back to the beginning of the universe. Which would mean we all have the same fate, which would mean that options would not exist. But since options do exist, and there are choices it cannot be right.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
August 21st, 2009 at 11:01pm
how do you know that options exist? maybe when we think that we have options we're just being the tools of fate?
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
August 24th, 2009 at 11:21pm
i believe its a bit of both.
like fate will bring us to the choices we need to make, but we exercise our free will to make the choice.
its like the senerio with the two doors. i would like to believe that fate brought you to that intersection, but free will can help us choose which door we want to open.
sortof a wierd concept, but it makes the most sense to me.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
August 25th, 2009 at 02:50pm
I think it's very much a question of free will, but I don't think everything is controlled by only your actions. A lot of things that could happen can easily be the result of something that someone/something else has done, and I think that they can happen in chains, if you like. I believe in chaos theory.

I don't totally rule out fate though, either. The concept of the Final Destination franchise (yes, I know it's fictional) really interests me.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
August 28th, 2009 at 06:24am
I believe that God gave us Free Will* to decide between different Fates.
*Also Reason, Characters and Feelings (like Love, Hatred, Happiness, Sadness etc.)
//Pretty much said it all there. Sorry if this sounds kind of weird, thats just the way I think..