Guess Who.:
Anybody here ever read the book "Middle Sex"

Well. Its interesting.

Importance to discussion?
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
June 11th, 2007 at 04:29am
I personally have no problem with sex changes. When I first heard about it I was a little weirded out but still thought it was up to them. A few years back I read an article about a girl who felt she was born a boy. I had to hold back tears when I read it. The way she described it was that she was trapped in someone elses skin, she felt fake, and was disgusted with her body. After reading that I wasn't weirded out. I actually admired their strength and courage to do what they did. That is where I stand on the matter.
Marek Angel of Reven
Killjoy
Marek Angel of Reven
June 11th, 2007 at 04:02pm
Thats TOTALLY against what God set out. If you're a guy you're a dude. If you're a girl, then STAY A CHICK DAMMIT!! I dunno WHY someone would wanna chang THAT....
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 11th, 2007 at 04:18pm
Marek Angel of Reven:
Thats TOTALLY against what God set out. If you're a guy you're a dude. If you're a girl, then STAY A CHICK DAMMIT!! I dunno WHY someone would wanna chang THAT....
Because they have the brain of one gender in the body of another. Gender isn't solely a physical thing; it's a mental thing as well. That's why women act similar to other women and men act similar to other men. It's not just a bodily thing; there minds are telling them to do so. But in a transgender person, their minds are telling them that they fit in with the opposite gender of what they physically are. Scientists think it's because of some kind of screw up in the womb. But feeling trapped in the wrong body is definitely reason enough have a sex change operation.

Also, unless you have spoken to God personally or have a direct quoatation of some kind, please don't use whatever you think His opinions around here.

And no swearing on the Discussion Board. Read the rules before posting.
But welcome to INO. =]
clumsy heart.
Banned
clumsy heart.
June 11th, 2007 at 04:23pm
I think switching your sex is taking it a little too far.
People need to learn to accept who they are.
but I don't hate those people at all.
I just think that changing your gender is just a little too much.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 11th, 2007 at 06:09pm
seldom known.:

They are accepting who they are.
They are a woman in a man's body or vice versa. They are simply fixing nature's mistake.
Do you think it's easy to accept the fact that you're in the wrong body?
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
June 11th, 2007 at 07:25pm
seldom known.:

I agree. I admire the people with the bravery to take that step, and I respect them very much. It just seems kind of drastic to me.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 11th, 2007 at 07:26pm
^Drastic problems require drastic solutions. I'd call being born in the wrong body a pretty drastic problem, wouldn't you?
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
June 13th, 2007 at 04:33pm
Fezzik:
^Drastic problems require drastic solutions. I'd call being born in the wrong body a pretty drastic problem, wouldn't you?

Yes that would be a drastic problem, I'm just not sure if that is the right way to handle it.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 13th, 2007 at 04:55pm
I can't imagine any other way it would be handled. Accepting yourself is one thing - my nose has a bump; I don't like that, but I have to accept that about myself. But if my nose was...non-existent, or...I can't even think of an example that compares to being born the wrong gender. I just don't think it's something that could be psychologically accepted about yourself.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
June 13th, 2007 at 04:59pm
Fezzik:
I can't imagine any other way it would be handled. Accepting yourself is one thing - my nose has a bump; I don't like that, but I have to accept that about myself. But if my nose was...non-existent, or...I can't even think of an example that compares to being born the wrong gender. I just don't think it's something that could be psychologically accepted about yourself.

I agree it would be hard. (But i used to know someone who did not have a nose...sorry your comparison just made me think of that). If It were me, I would probably just try to except myself, It is possible to convince yourself of things, it doesn't always work, but it is possible. My cousin felt that she was born in the wrong gender, and he was going to have a sex change, but he decided that he would try to live with it. So he denied his wants and is now married and has 2 adorable kids, and no sex change ever happened, he now feels comfortable as a guy. Though my cousin was stronger then most and I understand that it would be very hard to do what my cousin did. But it it certainly possible.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
June 13th, 2007 at 05:02pm
Fezzik:

I agree it would be hard. (But i used to know someone who did not have a nose...sorry your comparison just made me think of that). If It were me, I would probably just try to except myself, It is possible to convince yourself of things, it doesn't always work, but it is possible. My cousin felt that she was born in the wrong gender, and he was going to have a sex change, but he decided that he would try to live with it. So he denied his wants and is now married and has 2 adorable kids, and no sex change ever happened, he now feels comfortable as a guy. Though my cousin was stronger then most and I understand that it would be very hard to do what my cousin did. But it it certainly possible.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 13th, 2007 at 05:18pm
^I don't think it really is. Your cousin wasn't really born in the wrong gender if he was able to accept himself as male. They do extensive psychological tests before performing the surgery; it's not like just anyone can have it done on a whim. It's a pretty huge decision, and a huge transformation; I don't see why anyone would haven't done if they weren't 100% sure that was what they were meant to be.

You're brain is one gender or the other. A man might have a strong feminine side, or a woman might identify better with men, but there's a big difference between that and actually being those genders mentally. If you closed your eyes right now, you'd still know you're female; not because of anything female, but because mentally that's who you are. I, for one, could never convince myself that I'm anything else, regardless of what's between my legs.
Charlie The Unicorn
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie The Unicorn
June 14th, 2007 at 10:29pm
I don't have anything against transexuals, but personally, I don't agree with it, for Biblical reasons (I'm a Christian), and it's just not natural to me.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 15th, 2007 at 12:33am
Charlie The Unicorn:
I don't have anything against transexuals, but personally, I don't agree with it, for Biblical reasons (I'm a Christian), and it's just not natural to me.

a) I don't believe the Bible ever mentions transsexuals.
b) God gave us all free will.
c) Nature messed up with transsexuals. They have the brain for one gender and the body for another. If nature makes a mistake I think they should be able to fix it.
Charlie The Unicorn
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie The Unicorn
June 15th, 2007 at 03:08pm
druscilla; in rags:
Charlie The Unicorn:

c) Nature messed up with transsexuals. They have the brain for one gender and the body for another. If nature makes a mistake I think they should be able to fix it.

Nature doesn't determine how people think, though. That's a personal choice. And I'm not even going to argue about the Bible or anything.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
June 15th, 2007 at 03:14pm
Charlie The Unicorn:
druscilla; in rags:
Charlie The Unicorn:

Nature doesn't determine how people think, though. That's a personal choice. And I'm not even going to argue about the Bible or anything.

Yes it does. You are born with a brain that thinks a certain way. It's not like people decide 'Oh, I feel like being transgender today.' They're born that way.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 15th, 2007 at 04:08pm
Charlie The Unicorn:
druscilla; in rags:
Charlie The Unicorn:

Don't bring something like the Bible up if you're not willing to discuss it.
That's just stupid.
Charlie The Unicorn
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie The Unicorn
June 15th, 2007 at 08:35pm
druscilla; in rags:
Charlie The Unicorn:
druscilla; in rags:
Charlie The Unicorn:

Don't bring something like the Bible up if you're not willing to discuss it.
That's just stupid.

No need to call me stupid, I just figured I'd get out of this thread, but since you brought it up, yes, the Bible doesn't mention transexuals specifically, because back then they were fine with the sex they were, but some things aren't specifically in the Bible, but it's known that God would consider them sin anyway. And it might as well be in there about transexuals... God tells you to be content with what you have. I know not everyone believes in it, but obviously that's their right, that's just my viewpoint.