Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
DeadlyPoisoned
Bleeding on the Floor
DeadlyPoisoned
November 11th, 2006 at 07:05pm
[quote="bloodredruby69"][color=darkred][size=80]To me, the use of alcohol to calm yourself is worse than cutting. By far.
I agree with you but for some it calms them Even if they dont get drunk from it.!...Its better then cutting yourself.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 11th, 2006 at 07:08pm
but what if it leads to needing more and more to escape the pain and calm yourself and leads to you becoming an alcoholic because a little bit no longer helps and you suddenly downing a bottle of jim beam every night to calm yourself? it happens
DeadlyPoisoned
Bleeding on the Floor
DeadlyPoisoned
November 11th, 2006 at 07:41pm
Hmmm you gotta point.!
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 11th, 2006 at 10:53pm
if your using it as an escape then you might end up needing more and more
at least thats how cutting seems to work you need to do more and more to have any effect since you get used to it and develop a resistance to its effects so you need to do it more to get the desired effect
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 11th, 2006 at 10:56pm
That is the same with anything addictive, the endorphins can cause a feeling of euphoria, which, in laymens terms, is a high.

But not all people who cut do so for the high. A lot do so for the scars, or from boredom, or for whatever other reasons. The high is often not a driving factor.
HeartShaped--Glasses
Killjoy
HeartShaped--Glasses
November 12th, 2006 at 01:33am
People who cut and attempt suicide to be "cool" are full of shit.

Killing yourself is an extremely selfish thing and it affects the lives of all the people you leave behind.
I think that there should be more accessable help for people who are thinking of killing themselves because a lot of the time people dont really want to die,they just want a way out of all the pain they are facing.
queenofhalloween
Killjoy
queenofhalloween
November 12th, 2006 at 04:24am
Why do people cut?
I think people cut because they think their life is fucked up, and theres no way of seeing/ being on the happy side again.

What can be done to prevent it?
I' m doing this subject in my class called research paper, and I think telling people in schools nationwide is good, also telling people that are like this to stop doing it cause it can effect the people around them a whole lot.

Who's effected?
Everyone is effected, friends, family, neighbors, basically anyone that that person talked to, while they were alive. When I caught my cousin trying to commit sucide in her bedroom I yelled at her and hit her, I freaked out. Cause she is my best friend and I tell her everything.

What are the treatments?
Therpy, Physoricst, "happy" pills, and doing something else besides cutting when you are thinking about it.
Rainy.
Awake and Unafraid
Rainy.
November 12th, 2006 at 04:36am
bloodredruby69:
To me, the use of alcohol to calm yourself is worse than cutting. By far.

People who do cut for their own reasons are often construed as depressed, attention seeking kids with nothing better to do. The newest trend of cutting for attention kills the whole point of cutting in the first place, and makes the person look like a drama queen. It's pathetic, what people do to get noticed, especially when they have no point for doing it, save the attention.

There are people out there who self harm for themselves and only themselves, and those people should be left alone.

The rest of the attention seeking "wannabes", should be slapped. Really, really hard. They need some sense knocked into them.

I think that alot of people who cut, or hurt themselves in any way as a way of dealing with their internal problems don't like people to know that they hurt themselves. I have never personally met somebody who cuts themselves and then walks around showing people their cuts, All the people I have met that show off their scars just do it to "freak people out", or get people to pay attention to them.
McRgIrL13
Killjoy
McRgIrL13
November 12th, 2006 at 05:46am
i think it is crazy to cut yourself if u had a problem u need to slove the problem NOT cutt yourself
McRgIrL13
Killjoy
McRgIrL13
November 12th, 2006 at 05:49am
about sucide i don't support it in anyway in films people think it is cool but in real life is crazy
lexie
Bleeding on the Floor
lexie
November 12th, 2006 at 03:26pm
it is crazy to cut yourself but it is a way of internalising your anger/shame/guilt/pain - people feel it is better to cut themselves and feel the relief that the visibility of blood gives them that maybe hit someone else in anguish. Also I agree that most s/harmers do not show people and hide it from others.

I will say something for those people who appear to be attention seekers - lets not forget that if people feel the need to outwardly show their pain = they are just as needing for treatment as anyone else- having been on both sides of the Mental health system it worries me that certain people appear to have the attitude that there is "im better than you cos I cut this way/ do this more" - Anybody who feels the need to selfham in ANY way (be it cutting/ drugs/alcohol) they all need to be entitled to help - its simply a shame that people feel that they virtually have to go to extreme lengths to get any support.
One last point - sadly because of what selfharmers have gone through in their lifes (abuse etc) it is very hard to stop this addiction - unfortunately you cannot erase a bad memory! Just a few thoughts!
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
November 12th, 2006 at 06:19pm
Ophelia_Immortal713:

I think that alot of people who cut, or hurt themselves in any way as a way of dealing with their internal problems don't like people to know that they hurt themselves. I have never personally met somebody who cuts themselves and then walks around showing people their cuts, All the people I have met that show off their scars just do it to "freak people out", or get people to pay attention to them.

Read your post again.
WriteThisDown
Fabulous Killjoy
WriteThisDown
November 12th, 2006 at 07:01pm
Some of my friends do it...4 of them actually.
i think people do it basically out of self hatred, or fear, depression, guilt. I've tried to help my friends, only one of them stopped, but at least i got through to one of them. I hate the fact that people feel the need to harm themselves, the only thing it can lead to is suicide.
XxUSEDxX
Killjoy
XxUSEDxX
November 12th, 2006 at 08:08pm
i used to do it. alot of people do it.
Dangerously Kelly.
Bleeding on the Floor
Dangerously Kelly.
November 12th, 2006 at 08:23pm
I think its becoming a trend. You see popular poeple do it and everyone gets worried, then the 'goth' or 'emo' kids and people think its great! It really bugs me.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
November 12th, 2006 at 09:00pm
I have self harmed for the past four years, before emo was a way to dress, before it started becoming some weird trend that I don't understand.
I can't seem to quit it either. There was a period where I went over eight months without it, but I always come back to it.
I've almost come to accept that it's just the way I do things, I don't really have a will to change it either.

I don't really know why I do it.

I know I like seeing my own blood - so I think on some weird deeper level in my head it's about control. Like, I know that no matter what fucked up things happen to me, I'm always in control of my life, or whether I end it (not that I do or ever have wanted to).
I like seeing my scars as well, it gives me satisfaction to know that I did them, and how it happened.

BUT... I really can't give you a reason why. I just do. I just have no answers.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 14th, 2006 at 03:02am
correct me if im wrong but when i first met you amanda you werent cutting yourself were you? did i have anything to do with it because i sometimes worry that i got you into it and i've mostly stopped it now ive moved to abusing prescription meds instead of cutting for the emotional reaction it gives
PenisPie
Bleeding on the Floor
PenisPie
November 14th, 2006 at 03:59am
I dont like cutting. Since I've done it and went to hospital for 3 weeks. and i've stopped since this guys cousin killed herself with a vacuum thing.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
November 14th, 2006 at 06:57am
dream brother:
correct me if im wrong but when i first met you amanda you werent cutting yourself were you? did i have anything to do with it because i sometimes worry that i got you into it and i've mostly stopped it now ive moved to abusing prescription meds instead of cutting for the emotional reaction it gives

Uh no, I wasn't. I believe that I started after we stopped seeing each other..
But yeah you definately planted the idea in my head Razz
It's not so bad anymore anyways, like I would do it now like maybe once or twice a month - as opposed to the several times I used to do it a day.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
November 14th, 2006 at 02:11pm
Yara; wtf...:
I decided to restart this thread because of the following reasons.

This is NOT a confession thread.
I don't want to see any posts about why you cut, how you cut or any other helpful hints to young minds out there that are curious.

This is not a pity thread.
If you cut and you need help, go tell your parents or counselor, get real help.

This is a thread where we discuss suicide and self harm.
What can be done to prevent it?
Who does it affect?
Why is it more common now than 10-20 years ago?
Are there enough support groups?
How can family members help?
Just a reminder. =]