ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 20th, 2006 at 12:18am
Bullets.
Motor Baby
Bullets.
October 20th, 2006 at 06:43am
I have heard that alot of people cut themsleves for attention because they just want to look 'cool' and 'emo'. It's selfish of those people because then if someone who does cut themself will confess and will be laughed at and people will think they want attention. I'm going through a really hard time at the moment so I started cutting myself but I felt ashamed and was scared if anyone saw it. My friend saw it and confronted me, i wanted to hide it but then I couldn't. It ended up getting to my best friend who got angry. She said she did it but I knew she did it for attention. My other friend said I needed help but I don't want it! I think if anyone cuts themself its because they are going through a really hard emotional time and need to change it to physical pain. I think that they wouldn't want attention because they would feel ashamed or even more upset. They'll either stop at their own time or continue and if they do, someone should help them if it gets that bad.

If someone commits suicide I think it is selfish, be brave and face your hardships, dont just turn it into someone else's.

««ѕнσтgυи ѕιииєяѕ\\ωιℓ∂ єує∂ נσкєяѕ--gσт уσυ ιи му ѕιgнтѕ//gυи ιт ωнιℓє ι'м нσℓ∂ιиg σи»»
xxxxzeddyxxxx
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
October 20th, 2006 at 10:05am
bloodredruby69:
^A lot of people think that self-harm and depression are two peas in a pod.

Well, often, they're not. Not all those who cut suffer from depression.

Yes that is quite true. Although I would say that the two are extreemly comorbid of one another in general.

The point I was getting at talking about depression was related to those who are committing suicide, not self harm, just incase that sounded confusing.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 20th, 2006 at 04:32pm
^No, I understood what you were saying, but I was mainly refering to the people who were talking about depression and cutting as one. A lot of people don't realize that cutting is due to circumstance, and not necessarily to depression.

Suicide is more linked to depression than cutting, for obvious reasons. But there are a goodly chunk of people out there who cut AND are happy with their lives. Believe it or not, it does happen.
JerkFace
Jazz Hands
JerkFace
October 20th, 2006 at 09:23pm
Idk what it is about people and cutitng now.
Before it was something that you didnt do, and if you did, yu didnt talk about it
Now, if you cut and tell someone..It might not even be a big deal.
Especially if your stereotyped as emo
Im not saying all emo's cut.
But if you are emo, and you do cut, its like "okay..so whts up?"
Like its no big deal.

Whats weird is that is seems so common, that maybe people possibly might only do it, for attencion, or just to do it.
And its starting from young ages.
Why they do do it?
I dont know, youd have to ask them.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
October 21st, 2006 at 07:36am
^ Although I suggested this before, if someone is willing to cut, even if their purpose is to get attention, then surely there is something going on in their lives that they need help for. Even if its for attention, its still self harm, and I don't think it should be treated any differenntly.
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
Salute You in Your Grave
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
October 21st, 2006 at 11:32am
Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
bloodredruby69:
^A lot of people think that self-harm and depression are two peas in a pod.

Well, often, they're not. Not all those who cut suffer from depression.

Yes that is quite true. Although I would say that the two are extreemly comorbid of one another in general.

The point I was getting at talking about depression was related to those who are committing suicide, not self harm, just incase that sounded confusing.

i agree to what my girl is saying her , i have a friend that is just trying to give it all up, and all i can do is tell her it's not worth it think about your family
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
Salute You in Your Grave
Annie-Luvz-a-Marine.
October 21st, 2006 at 11:54am
Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
^ Although I suggested this before, if someone is willing to cut, even if their purpose is to get attention, then surely there is something going on in their lives that they need help for. Even if its for attention, its still self harm, and I don't think it should be treated any differenntly.

* nods head* and says " she hit it on the nail."
Hullo beautiful
Killjoy
Hullo beautiful
October 21st, 2006 at 02:18pm
i think if u are a cutter u should get help cus cutting can really warp ur mind and i herd some say it's a disese
i really don't if we have a support group were i live they should thow cus it's a commen problem
DealForeverLoving?
Thinking Happy Thoughts
DealForeverLoving?
October 21st, 2006 at 05:28pm
I've heard from people that cut say that they do it, because it just helps them get over things. I personally think its stupid and selfish. Cutters think that nobody cares about them or loves them or anything. They don't understand that some people do care. I guess it is a cry for attention.

I don't know how to fix this, but I guess we could all start by talking to cutters, making them feel special and loved, because they are and there is no need to lose a life over something thats so....I don't know >.<

Meh... I think sometimes people think too much and that when they do, they cut off everything around them. Maybe thats it, maybe they're too caught up in their own thoughts that they don't see clearly. The can't see how much other poeple care about them or whatnot.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 21st, 2006 at 05:51pm
TheBadHabit:
I've heard from people that cut say that they do it, because it just helps them get over things. I personally think its stupid and selfish. Cutters think that nobody cares about them or loves them or anything. They don't understand that some people do care. I guess it is a cry for attention.

I don't know how to fix this, but I guess we could all start by talking to cutters, making them feel special and loved, because they are and there is no need to lose a life over something thats so....I don't know >.<

Meh... I think sometimes people think too much and that when they do, they cut off everything around them. Maybe thats it, maybe they're too caught up in their own thoughts that they don't see clearly. The can't see how much other poeple care about them or whatnot.

You're new and young, so I'm going to be as mannerly as possible.

Cutting is what some doctors call a unhealthy coping mechanism. Thus meaning many different conclusions. The the three main ones that come to mind are people who have not developed healthy ways of dealing with emotional problems, intense pressure, or upsetting relationships.

People are also known to cut themselves due to mental issues/disorders/problems, etc.

Though, not everyone self-muitilates because of emotional problems. Many self-injure to justify that their feeling of self-enjoyment is there. In other words, there are people who cut when they are unbelievably happy. Some people may assume this is abnormal, yet it occurs.

I also will like to add, there is no way to justify what is abnormal and what is normal in the category of self-harm. Many situations and many incidents happen. This behavior can very well become a complusive behavior; Meaning the more a person does it, the more the person is most likely to become addicted to it. It's like any addiction known out there. Alcoholism, purging, etc.

The brain is very complex, which is why the doctors are only able to state so much about it; When associated with self-harming.

When a person injures themselves, the brain releases endorphins. Endorphins reduce the sensation of pain and affect emotions. Suicide and self-harm are both equally complex. Equally obscured. Equally deadly.

And are both topics that should not be toss aside and should not automatically label those who commit these acts; Selfish.

For that may very well be the type of narrow-mindness that caused them to be in this/that particular state in the first place.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 21st, 2006 at 06:17pm
I love watching Breanna kick ass.

What I notice a lot of in this thread is the assumption that all people who cut, do so for a negative reason.

And I'll point out again, that not all who do so, do it because they have a bad life. Some enjoy it, some like the color of blood, some want the scars. People may not believe it, but it does happen, more often that you'd care to think.

I for one, never cut because I'm unhappy or upset or depressed. The times I did/do do the things I do, are the times when I'm already in a good, stable mood and am thinking clearly. I never do something to myself when I'm upset, as I know I'll regret it. I think about what I want to do, usually sleep on it, then do it carefully and gently.

I carved a star of david into my hand at school, having thought long and hard about it. I didn't let anyone see it, made no fuss, and took care of it while it healed.

And I love the scar. I love the look of it, what it reminds me of.

Not all cutting is done for the wrong reasons, and not all cutitng is wrong. Just as there are those who use it to hurt themselves, there are those who use it to better themselves or give them solace.

Self harm is a two-sided coin, and seeing one side but not the other is a matter of choice.
Femme
Salute You in Your Grave
Femme
October 25th, 2006 at 12:36am
I think there are two types of cutters

TYPE 1. people who cut themselves and Show everyone there scars because they want attention or to be able to fit in with a group, They want to be something there not :for example being labled 'emo' or 'goth'.

TYPE 2. people who cut themselves and dont tell anyone or show anyone. these people are really depressed
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 25th, 2006 at 07:48pm
^exactly. They're two totally different types of people.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 25th, 2006 at 11:48pm
hyperactive:

TYPE 1. people who cut themselves and Show everyone there scars because they want attention or to be able to fit in with a group, They want to be something there not :for example being labled 'emo' or 'goth'.

TYPE 2. people who cut themselves and dont tell anyone or show anyone. these people are really depressed

Self-harm is self-harm. Though I do admit that there is those who let it be known and who do not. Thus, showing quite a difference, yet that does not give you the automatic right to be able to distinguish from those who are really depressed and those who are not.

Are you a certified psychologist?

By the way, please try to read all the posts that is involved with this topic. Both Ruby and I mentioned that self-harm is not always a depressive manner. It's also done for the sheer enjoyment; Even when they are in that right state of mind of having the ability to justify what they are doing and why they are doing so. Let me state it in basic mere sentences. There are people who self-harm when they are unbelievably happy.

XxThePatientxX:
^exactly. They're two totally different types of people.

This does not help us see from your perspective either. If you're going to agree, please explain why you agree with the theory.

Just simply stating that you agree is spam and makes you seem as if you don't want to clarify on why you agree. Thus, making fellow members believe that you're not even taking the time or effort to explain why you agree. This immediately makes us disregard your opinion, since you seem to not be strong about it by simply not discussing further more about your point.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
October 26th, 2006 at 08:35am
hyperactive:

This is your opinion, and maybe the opinion of many others, but it is not backed up by any scientific evidence. It was not until 1993 that an article in Hospital and Community Psychiatry, suggest defining self-injury as a disease and not merely a symptom.

They created a diagnostic category called Repetitive Self-Harm Syndrome. This would be an impulse-control syndrome (similar to OCD), not a personality disorder.

The diagnostic criteria for Repetitive Self-Harm Syndrome include:
-preoccupation with physically harming oneself
-repeated failure to resist impulses to destroy or alter one's body tissue
-increasing tension right before, and a sense of relief after, self-harm
-no association between suicidal intent and the act of self-harm
-not a response to mental retardation, delusion, hallucination

Obviously someone would not need to meet every single criterion in the list, it is a guide.

I cant actually find this in my copy of DSM-IV (that is the handbook of mental illnesses and diagnostic criteria used by all psychologists/psychiatrists and medical practitioners)

Anyway my point was, that it is quite wrong to try and classify a mental illness based on your opinions of the people suffering from it. I finished my degree in Psychology last June and it taught me a lot about all different forms of mental conditions, and steriotyping people with them is not the way to handle it. Like it has been said again and again here, whether someone wants attention or not, it should not mean that they are classified any differently.

If self harm is classified as an illness in its own right, then it seems that the "type 2" you refer to, would actually be suffering from a combination of self harm and depression. Depression is very often a comorbid condition (this means that it occurs along with many other mental illnesses) but it doesnt mean that it will happen in every case, Just like Depression is extreemly comorbid with Anorexia, yet it doesnt mean that every anorexic is depressed. They still need help for their anorexia, just like the persion in your "type 1" scenario should still get help and not be treated like they are less worthy just because they are not trying to hide their problems.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 27th, 2006 at 05:30pm
omg my friend is on the phone with me and she just said she cut herself. what do i say?!?
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 27th, 2006 at 06:08pm
Ok well I just made up an excuse to get off the phone with her cause I didn't know what to say. If she ends up killing herself i'm gonna feel partially responsible. Well i know she wont do that though. She said her friends were getting on her nerves REALLY BAD so she went to get a knife and she cut her arm like 3 times. She put on a sweatshirt to cover it up. I've never had a friend that's done this before. She's not my best friend cause i just met her like 2 months ago but she's still my friend. I really need to know what to tell her. I'm gonna write her a note on Monday. GOD i wish she liked MCR so that could help her like it helps me. Sigh. It still wouldnt fiz everything though. Has anyone here ever had a friend that's cut herself? What did u say/write to them?
violentposer
Killjoy
violentposer
October 27th, 2006 at 06:43pm
ive been close to suicide myself, and i know what its like when people think theres no point in continuing, but, in my opinion, its a cowardly and selfish way out.

as for self harming, its almost a reliever of pain, than a giver of it, but its still not the cleverest thing a person can do
Pondie
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Pondie
October 28th, 2006 at 09:11am
I've thought about suicide before. And, I've cut myself. However, I used a plastic kitchen knife..and it hurt a lot..so I don't think I'll ever be doing it again. I don't want to, either.