Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
XHellsBellX
Killjoy
XHellsBellX
November 14th, 2008 at 08:04am
Cutting isn't god. it's like a drug. i've had frends who get addicted to it and it scares us to death! i mean you don't wanna loose your frends over depression and self harm.
the worst part is though that they try to hide it and pretend that everything is okay. if ppl cut or use self harm as an escape then they need to tell someone. it effects everyone from family to frends.
and if its only for attention then its not the kind of attention u would want.
XHellsBellX
Killjoy
XHellsBellX
November 14th, 2008 at 08:04am
*good not god
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 15th, 2008 at 03:00pm
Utada Hikaru:

Cutting isnt always for attention. Why would cutters be ashamed of it then?

yes, there are some people who see it as a way to get attention, but they are the minority.
I cutted for about 3 years. for 3 years, I didn't tell anyone, then someone was messing around with me and they happened to see them. unfortuneately lately after being clean for over a year I started again. I told some of my friends, not because I want "attention" but because I need help. In all honesty I use to get all ashamed whenever I did it, now I just don't really care anymore. But thats the thing scares me a bit is the fact I just don't care if i'm in physical pain or not, case it sure as hell beats the mental pain. I talk to a few very trusted friends because I'm afraid of how far I'll go agian.

If someone is depressed they need someone they can trust to talk to. If a freind of yours is depressed, they fucking need you. They need someone to cheer them on, they don't need to just hear "well, I like you better when your happy" If your depressed, I know its hard but you need to get help, you don't have to go to a therapist, but you do need to find someone you can talk to
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 15th, 2008 at 05:32pm
My Dear Delirious:
If someone is depressed they need someone they can trust to talk to. If a freind of yours is depressed, they fucking need you. They need someone to cheer them on, they don't need to just hear "well, I like you better when your happy" If your depressed, I know its hard but you need to get help, you don't have to go to a therapist, but you do need to find someone you can talk to
As a friend, how are you supposed to know that someone is depressed if they're not telling you straight out? If they're just being miserable and rejecting me, I don't want to hang around them. People aren't mind readers and they shouldn't be expected to just know someone is depressed. Just because they're depressed it doesn't mean they cannot tell someone. If they don't tell anyone, then they can't blame that on anyone but themselves.
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 15th, 2008 at 06:22pm
^ Agreed. If someone is depressed and they want to talk to someone, they shouldn't just SIT there and expect everyone to just know.

But that's another discussion.

Cutting isn't just for attention - maybe sometimes it is, but most of the time, it's a very complex and strange drive to make the person do that, something I don't really understand, to be honest.

But I'm not here for this - I'm here to be modly and annoying to everyone - Please keep in mind that profanity is not allowed on the discussion board. Thanks Very Happy
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 15th, 2008 at 06:48pm
Mindfuck:
As a friend, how are you supposed to know that someone is depressed if they're not telling you straight out? If they're just being miserable and rejecting me, I don't want to hang around them. People aren't mind readers and they shouldn't be expected to just know someone is depressed. Just because they're depressed it doesn't mean they cannot tell someone. If they don't tell anyone, then they can't blame that on anyone but themselves.
No, I realize that, but sometimes when your down and you don't want to talk to anyone, that one person who notices your under the weather can seriosuly just hellp you out. And I know sometimes someone will ask "are you doing okay?" and I'll say yeah when I'm not. But just letting someone that you are there at all, that is accountable for something
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 15th, 2008 at 07:09pm
Ahem. [Sorry for jumping in the middle.] But the song "I'm Not Okay" comes to mind?
I cut myself for about a year, I've been "clean" for about 3 months now, so I speak from experience.
People's answer for the question "Are you okay?" is automatically "yes". Becuase, think about it. If yo approached a person who looked upset, and asked them if they were okay, would you expect a "yes"? Of course. If the person were to go "Well my parents just divorced and now my father's in jail for harassing my mom and my mom is an alchoholic and beats me and I just want to die" What would you do? You'd stare at them like they had just grown a third eye. When people cut, they are usually embarassed to tell people. I was only able to tell people AFTER I stopped. I can understand the argument "Well I don't know what to do; if they're upset they should talk to me and tell me what's wrong and I'll try to help them", but, on the other hand, the way I stopped was different entirely. I had been cutting, I won't go into al lthe reasons why or how I was feeling, whatever, but I went to thie rock camp through my local music school, and the people there, without knowig that I cut, lifted me out of the black hole of depression I was in. They didn't even know what they did, but when I was there I found myself genuinlly happy because I was finally with people that didn't care about my past, they didn't care about anything, and they were nice, we talked about the most random things there, were as immature as heck, and it didn't matter. All I know is that after I encountered those people, my life completly changed, I stopped cutting, I haven't since. So while sometimes you'd like people to tell you everything, if they don't, just be with them. Talk about whatever; do whatever. Just subtly let them know that you arn't abandoning them, because that's what "depressed" people generally think when you walk away, thinking you did your part by asking them if they were okay and receiving the lie of 'yes'.
[I'm okay now, but you really gotta listen to me, I'm telling you, I'M OKAY! (trust me) I'm not okay.]
Dir-en-grey
Joining The Black Parade
Dir-en-grey
November 19th, 2008 at 12:55pm
Leonardo DiCaprio:
Dyke_Overlord:
I dont see the point of cutting, a friend of mine does it and his excuse is that his life is full of problems and it helps relieve pain... I dont get it how does cutting relieve pain? I

For Cutters,physical pain is easier
to deal with than emotional pain.
If someone is thinking of suicide and they wont get help or you dont know how to help them. Just be there for them and help as much as you can.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 19th, 2008 at 04:26pm
Beautiful Tragedy.:
Becuase, think about it. If yo approached a person who looked upset, and asked them if they were okay, would you expect a "yes"? Of course. If the person were to go "Well my parents just divorced and now my father's in jail for harassing my mom and my mom is an alchoholic and beats me and I just want to die" What would you do? You'd stare at them like they had just grown a third eye.
No I wouldn't - not if they were my friend or I knew them in some way. If I ask my friend what's troubling them, I'm usually there to help.

And if I don't know them then chances are I wouldn't randomly walk up to them and talk to them in the first place.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 19th, 2008 at 06:59pm
^ I know from personal experience, that even if it's one of my close friends asking if I'm alright, I still answer 'yes', either because I'm embarassed or because I don't want to seem troublesome/bothersome/clingy/needy.
Another thing I know that many self injurers tend to do is put on this happy face and never provoke the question 'are you okay?' at all by pretending to be happy. I realize that SI'ers can't just EXPECT people to know when we're upset; I'm just trying to give some insight from the point of view of someone who has dealt with self-harm and suicidical thoughts.

[And, as a random comic bit, I was sitting in a park one day and this homeless, apparently drunk man, came up and asked if I was okay. XD.]
MCRMY53
Killjoy
MCRMY53
November 21st, 2008 at 01:21am
in my opinion, there is just about only one thing keeping us sane and alive. BELONGING. just yesterday, before class a few of us were playing cards(and i was of course listening to MCR) and then the Senior class barely discovers the magic of torturing helpless sophomores using straws ans wet bits of paper. i was bombarded and acted like it didn't hurt me on the inside. they would make bets and exchanges that could only be completed by smacking me in the head. the worst part, all of the people i had once considered friends of all classes didn't say a word. they couldn't look in my direction and they didn't say a word, but were fully aware of my torture. after i witnessed this tretury, all i wanted to do was hide in a corner, find a sharp object of any kind, puncture my jugular, and slowly fall asleep hoping no one saw me until the act was done. too bad there was nothing around to cut myself with and that class had to start soon. i felt deserted and alone. if only if only i thought to myself. even after, people would harass me and call me a fag, not knowing how much closer that made me want the sweet embrace of death.

at that moment, all i wanted,...was a hug. a simple hug would show me that someone cared for me. to show me that someone understood and would not be afraid to help an abuses lonely EMO.

after a mountain dew and listening to a few MCR tracks(including INO) i felt all better^^ i got a hug during lunch. someone cared, and with the help of MCR, i felt like i belonged.

God Bless MCR
RAWWWRR!!!!BMTH!!!!
Killjoy
RAWWWRR!!!!BMTH!!!!
November 28th, 2008 at 07:09am
there is no people where i live who can help people who self harm so it is really hard and some people cant go 2 there parents because there scared i think people should should stop and go and talk 2 some 1 who they can trust like there best freind or family member Smile
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 1st, 2008 at 08:52pm
But the thing is, people who self-injure don't WANT to tell anyone. They want to keep it to themselves so they don't seem bothersome to other people. I couldn't even trust my best friend with it, and my family is why I cut. It's really a tough time; a lot of people cut BECAUSE they have no one/no where to turn to.
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
December 2nd, 2008 at 03:42pm
The world is a real messed up place now, more teens are depressed and more cut now and attempt suicide....
I think problem are from home for some kids and other problems are from school and so on, like the pressure to be popular and all the other very unimportant shit going wrong in kids lives today.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 2nd, 2008 at 05:22pm
But I dont think that pressure is anything new. Generations of kids before us have faced exactly the same thing.

I think it's just alot more open these days, you hear about it more.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 2nd, 2008 at 07:17pm
Looney Death:
The world is a real messed up place now, more teens are depressed and more cut now and attempt suicide....
I think problem are from home for some kids and other problems are from school and so on, like the pressure to be popular and all the other very unimportant shit going wrong in kids lives today.
I'd just like to point out that peer pressure, wanting to fit in, suicide, self harming and being depressed aren't 'new' things that has only affected your generation. They aren't 'new' concepts and things. Teenagers before you have had these problems.

I'm not saying that makes it any less serious. But sometimes people forget that our generation isn't the first Shifty2

I think it's quite sad that some kids attempt suicide, or self harm, over silly things like peer pressure. It's unnecessary. Sometimes I just feel like shaking them and telling them that in a few years you're not going to care about all of the embarrassing shit that went down in high school.

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 3rd, 2008 at 12:29am
Looney Death:
I agree, that one reason why like I feel I can't talk to adults....they don't know what its like for the most part in my opinion. They grew up in what seems like a completely different world, theres only one grown-up I can talk to about like cutting and stuff...because she's bi-polar (like me) and cut her legs (like me) but like for the most part even twenty years ago there wasn't nearly as much pressure growing up, like sure it was pretty bad for alot of people, but theres just so many more things added in todays world.

I mean we have cyber-bullying. There was a teenager that shot himself over live web cam whle people egged him on. They didn't have the internet 20 years ago, so they didn't have to deal with stuff like that. I honestly do think it is harder to grow up now a days then it was
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 3rd, 2008 at 07:17am
^^ To be fair, if you're talking about that kid in Florida, he ate like an entire bottle of prescription drugs on the webcam, then fell asleep. It's all over the news right now because the dad wants to find all the people who were egging them on and sue them. I don't know if he'll have a case but maybe just making a stand for internet decency might help.

My Dear Delirious:
but like for the most part even twenty years ago there wasn't nearly as much pressure growing up, like sure it was pretty bad for alot of people, but theres just so many more things added in todays world.

I challenge you to read some posts in the Teenagers thread if you'd like a glimpse of the paradise that was the 70s and 80s, and even before. You would think we'd never dealt with being angry, attempting suicide, cutting, being social outcasts, and so on. At least you can go online and know that there are others like you in the world. When you live in the middle of Buttfuck, USA and the internet hasn't been invented, it's just you and all your teenage problems. As you grow and learn more about the world you will know that the problems of today are nothing new, they're just new to you.

Two of you have now made comments about how much harder it is to fit in today than previous generations. Not so. I clearly remember being teased daily in school because of my clothes and hairstyle. I got my head slammed into a locker because I didn't fit in. I got called racial slurs after befriending the only black kid in my school. Please understand that you are not the first generation to go though ostrization, and find someone you *can* talk to about it rather than cutting. You'd be surprised what some of us can tell you.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 4th, 2008 at 12:25am
^^ to be fair I never said that all these problems were created after like the 90's for teenagers. No I know it was hard, and it still is. The reason why I believe there is just more like widespread attention of like teenage suicide and depression was due to the fact it was so taboo, it still is but its more in the spotlight today.

Now adays we have so many like organizations and hotlines for these problems, I'm not saying that only one kid killed themself in 1992, or because of like Kurt Cobain. obviously it has accumilated and it was reaching to such hieghts that some people felt they should step in and maybe give a couple of kids that are down on their luck someone to talk to and a way to get it all out that didn't involve self harm.

And I was bullied to for many years in elementary and I had obsuletly no self confidence or anything, I just hated myself cause I felt i was just so fucked up cause I couldn't be normal and have a friend. Thats the main reason why I started cutting when i was 9, I knew very well what I was doing. But I didn't know what else to do. Its hard and always has been to be a kid, your trying to find yourself, your for the most part scared and confused and unfortunately i honestly think that the pressure has just gottent worse, I think it was bad to when you were growing up too...but now-a-days people have to have a college degree to flip burgers...you can't tell me that there isn't more pressure when our country is in a ressetion and alot of people are feeling hopeless
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
December 4th, 2008 at 06:22am
your talking about recessions now? Think, who is that going to affect more, older generations with there own homes or children? It's the parents that are having to scrape money together to pay bills, buy food ect..

Alls im saying is that adults are under just as much pressure as children, bullying happens in work places and the like too y'know?