Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 23rd, 2008 at 07:23pm
Bob.:

from experience here, most cutters need a reason to stop. The cutters that can stop. If someone tells them that they'd be proud if they were able to stop cutting, or even just showed that they cared, it does make a big difference.

For some people, you have to make a choice between your friend's friendship, and their life, sometimes.
But what if those friends don't understand? A lot of teenagers, for example, may not have gone through cutting so they may not know a lot about it. The reason I'm bringing this up again is because it doesn't always work out like a fairytale - someone's self harming, tells their friends, and their friends are supportive and saves their life etc. etc. It doesn't always happen like that. So what I'm saying is - would you still blame the friends who knew but didn't save the self-harming friend? Would you blame them if they rejected the self harmer?

I must say, I don't have a lot of time for self harmers. I lost a friendship in highschool because my best friend at the time was supposedly depressed and self harming, but I didn't have any sympathy. She eventually moved schools, but we were never friends again. I don't feel guilty because she was a pain to be around. She was always all "woe is me, I have the worst life in the world", and she wasn't fun. I know that sounds harsh, but I just don't like clingy, needy people who need to talk about themselves all the time - which is what she was like.

On the last page, the topic of blame was prevalent, so I'm still going on that discussion. Some one mentioned blaming the person around them, and I found that an interesting point...
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
December 23rd, 2008 at 07:33pm
Mindfuck:
[But what if those friends don't understand? A lot of teenagers, for example, may not have gone through cutting so they may not know a lot about it. The reason I'm bringing this up again is because it doesn't always work out like a fairytale - someone's self harming, tells their friends, and their friends are supportive and saves their life etc. etc. It doesn't always happen like that. So what I'm saying is - would you still blame the friends who knew but didn't save the self-harming friend? Would you blame them if they rejected the self harmer?

I must say, I don't have a lot of time for self harmers. I lost a friendship in highschool because my best friend at the time was supposedly depressed and self harming, but I didn't have any sympathy. She eventually moved schools, but we were never friends again. I don't feel guilty because she was a pain to be around. She was always all "woe is me, I have the worst life in the world", and she wasn't fun. I know that sounds harsh, but I just don't like clingy, needy people who need to talk about themselves all the time - which is what she was like.

On the last page, the topic of blame was prevalent, so I'm still going on that discussion. Some one mentioned blaming the person around them, and I found that an interesting point...

In your friends case, I wouldn't feel guilty. Your friend sounds like she wanted attention, instead of actually needing help.
I was more talking about the people who are in serious need of help, and are turned away. If someone knows that they need help, and they try to get it and are ignored, then there is a problem. What I'm trying to say, is if someone who is already in danger of seriously hurting themself is rejected, it doesn't exactly help their chances of recovery, now does it?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 23rd, 2008 at 08:09pm
Bob.:

In your friends case, I wouldn't feel guilty. Your friend sounds like she wanted attention, instead of actually needing help.
I was more talking about the people who are in serious need of help, and are turned away. If someone knows that they need help, and they try to get it and are ignored, then there is a problem. What I'm trying to say, is if someone who is already in danger of seriously hurting themself is rejected, it doesn't exactly help their chances of recovery, now does it?
I hate it when people say people cut for attention.. I know there are some people out there who do, but you can't just say someone who you know nothing about is an attention seeker due to the fact that they cut and they need to talk to someone about it. It doesn't matter if they aren't fun or whatever, just a simple optimistic remark can really help them, and I know people are difficult but sometimes they just need to know someone cares at least alittle.

It kinda sickens me that someone would let thier "best friend" go just because they were hurting....the probably just needed you there....not all the time but every now and then. Cause if their "best friend" can't be their for them, who will?
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
December 23rd, 2008 at 08:45pm
My Dear Delirious:
I hate it when people say people cut for attention.. I know there are some people out there who do, but you can't just say someone who you know nothing about is an attention seeker due to the fact that they cut and they need to talk to someone about it. It doesn't matter if they aren't fun or whatever, just a simple optimistic remark can really help them, and I know people are difficult but sometimes they just need to know someone cares at least alittle.

true. I shouldn't have said that.
My Dear Delirious:

It kinda sickens me that someone would let thier "best friend" go just because they were hurting....the probably just needed you there....not all the time but every now and then. Cause if their "best friend" can't be their for them, who will?
True. I agree with you.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 24th, 2008 at 08:07am
My Dear Delirious:

It's really ironic that you're getting shitty with Bob. for making claims about someone they don't know when you're actually doing that yourself Shifty2
You're claiming the exact opposite - you're claiming my friend wasn't an attention seeker. You're assuming that if I had made one optimistic remark then that would turn everything around. You're assuming they probably "just needed me there" when you don't even know them yourself.

The only person who knew the person in the example I gave is me.

She was an attention seeker. Whether she had actual depression or not wasn't clear - she said she did, but she also never went to a psychologist or a psychiatrist because her mother couldn't afford one. So how she got diagnosed, then, remains to be seen. She talked a lot with the school councillor.

And yeah, on paper - it does look like I was a bad friend. But I am not naturally an empathetic person towards humans. I am someone who has never had the misfortune of having a mental illness, or a psychological disorder. No one in my immediate family has ever been suicidal or self harmed. I'm one of those people who doesn't understand. But I still have an opinion on it.

I don't like being around depressing people who always need reassurance and always need someone to talk about them, them them. That is what my friend was like, and it got to a point where she was just terrible to be around. So I guess I wasn't much of a best friend. But from my point of view I couldn't - and still don't - understand why she became the way she did. It was almost as if it happened over night, and as a 14 year old I hadn't experienced any friend of mine suddenly self harming.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 24th, 2008 at 05:28pm
Mindfuck:
It's really ironic that you're getting shitty with Bob. for making claims about someone they don't know when you're actually doing that yourself Shifty2
You're claiming the exact opposite - you're claiming my friend wasn't an attention seeker. You're assuming that if I had made one optimistic remark then that would turn everything around. You're assuming they probably "just needed me there" when you don't even know them yourself.

The only person who knew the person in the example I gave is me.

She was an attention seeker. Whether she had actual depression or not wasn't clear - she said she did, but she also never went to a psychologist or a psychiatrist because her mother couldn't afford one. So how she got diagnosed, then, remains to be seen. She talked a lot with the school councillor.

And yeah, on paper - it does look like I was a bad friend. But I am not naturally an empathetic person towards humans. I am someone who has never had the misfortune of having a mental illness, or a psychological disorder. No one in my immediate family has ever been suicidal or self harmed. I'm one of those people who doesn't understand. But I still have an opinion on it.

I don't like being around depressing people who always need reassurance and always need someone to talk about them, them them. That is what my friend was like, and it got to a point where she was just terrible to be around. So I guess I wasn't much of a best friend. But from my point of view I couldn't - and still don't - understand why she became the way she did. It was almost as if it happened over night, and as a 14 year old I hadn't experienced any friend of mine suddenly self harming.

I didn't mean it like to be singling her out...I just hate it when people say that people cut or harm themself for attention

and I don't know your friend...but coming from a place of mental disorders and self harm I know pretty damn well what it feels like to have a friend abondon you just because you are under the weather...if you were your friend who would you have felt? She may have "gotten depressed overnight" and it wasn't clear if she wasn't or not....but just talking to her at least once, not all the time can really help.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 24th, 2008 at 09:48pm
Mindfuck:

I honestly don't think you were a 'bad friend' per say, but if you're going to have a 'best' friend, you'd have to have a little sympathy sometimes, for people that do self-harm because they have a psychological disorder. That said, I can understand and agree with your point that I/anyone who replies to your comment about that particular case DIDN'T know that person, or the sitation, and I'm not passing judgement on either you or your friend.
Mindfuck:

I understand your point about not liking to be around depressing people, however, [and again, this may/may not be what your friend was like, I wasn't there, and I don't know, I can only give examples from my personal experience with self-harm/suicide] don't always need to be talking about themselves in order to get 'better'. I stopped just by talking to people that not only didn't focus their conversations on me, people that didn't know me, or know that I cut at that time. Ever since I talked to those people, I haven't cut once. They were there for me without even knowing it.
That said, one of my "best" friends knew that I cut and just couldn't handle it at the tender age of 15, and completely ignored it, and, on the contrary, made mindless chatter and superficial jokes all the time instead of talking to me. Everyone's different, and the match-up of the personality of the cutter and the personality of the friend trying to help them have to work together in order for the whole "procedure" to work. As you said, someone who isn't a person that can deal with 'clingy' or self-centered people and someone who needs to talk about their cutting wouldn't be a good match. So, I can see your point, on this particular aspect.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 25th, 2008 at 09:52pm
My Dear Delirious:

I didn't mean it like to be singling her out...I just hate it when people say that people cut or harm themself for attention
And i just hate it when people assume that every single person who cuts is actually depressed and does it because they have mental issues. There are people who cut for attention. I don't know how many and I'm not saying everyone cuts for attention - but you cannot deny that some people see cutting as a trend. That's the reality.

My Dear Delirious:
if you were your friend who would you have felt? She may have "gotten depressed overnight" and it wasn't clear if she wasn't or not....but just talking to her at least once, not all the time can really help.
I didn't just abandon her straight away - this whole scenario went on for most of the school year (of year 9), so about 7 months or so. Obviously, she started acting differently towards us, but at first she never let on as to what was going on. So what were we supposed to do? Were we supposed to just assume that she was "depressed"? I was 14 - I had a life to worry about too. How could I do something when she initially wouldn't tell us what was wrong?

When it did become apparent that she was feeling down, I didn't just laugh in her face. I listened, and after about 4 or 5 months of listening and her still treating me and all of our other friends like we were beneath her, I had enough. I didn't have time for her anymore. She became a brat, and to me it became apparent that her self harming was just a way to get people to notice her. And not in the "please do something about my depressing situation" noticing - but in the "I'm cool because I have 'problems" sense. There are actually people out there who think it's cool to have mental problems. It makes them different. It makes them stand out from the crowd. It makes people feel sorry for them.

Obviously, actual mental illness and actual serious self harming is a problem - but I have no time for people who use it to be seen as "different" or "cool". And to me, that was what my "best friend" at 14 was like.
I don't know how to explain it in any other way.

From now on I don't want to talk about my personal experience with my ex-friend because I feel it's taking away from serious discussion.

But by all means, feel free to respond to me. And I don't mind talking about this general issue of friends and self harmers. But I don't want to talk about that specific friend problem anymore, if that's okay.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
December 25th, 2008 at 10:03pm
Mindfuck:

Amen. Clap
That's the most well-written explination I've ever seen of the two "kinds", if you will, of cutting.
I personally know that I'm very offended by people who pretend to be depressed/have mental problems/cut for attention, because I myself have a moderate form of depression, [as in, the kind proclaimed by doctors and pyschologists, not the 'self-proclaimed' depressed kid,] and know how diffiucult it makes life for me when my mind doesn't want to cooperate. It's not fun, it's not cool, it's downright miserable sometimes. I've had a lot of issues with it, and seeing people mock them, [because that's really what people who pretend that they have depression are doing,] is extremely offending. I'd like to see one of those people suffer for a week with depression without medication.
as Mindfuck stated, I'm not saying that all cutters are "posers" and don't really have pyschological "issues", but that for those that don't have mental problems, it's really offending when they say they do.
[That said, I'm not saying that you need to have depression to be a "real" [not someone doing it for the attention] cutter, because I have a cousin who cut for almost 13 years with no depression, [despite her many trips to doctors and pyschologists,] And just recently quit. I'm just stating that people that cut/pretend to be suicidical/pretend to cut/pretend to have depression/pretend to have other mental problems are just what I stated: They PRETEND.
[/rant.]
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
December 26th, 2008 at 06:31am
One Thousand Oceans:

I personally know that I'm very offended by people who pretend to be depressed/have mental problems/cut for attention, because I myself have a moderate form of depression

I think some people who pretend to have depression or another form of mental illness must have something wrong with them in the first place.

The other day I came across a website where people submit photos of their injuries caused by self harming. Along with their pictures of fresh bleeding cuts, users can submit their story, and even update it later on. I was shocked. It is like having a site for people with anorexia where they can post pictures of their weightloss.
bruised and scarred
Killjoy
bruised and scarred
December 26th, 2008 at 05:49pm
websites that encourage self harm or eating disorders are really bad for people that are trying to recover but they make you feel like you're not alone especially if you want to talk but cant tell anyone you know
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 26th, 2008 at 07:26pm
One Thousand Oceans:
Amen. Clap
That's the most well-written explination I've ever seen of the two "kinds", if you will, of cutting.
Why thankyou Smiley

One Thousand Oceans:
I personally know that I'm very offended by people who pretend to be depressed/have mental problems/cut for attention, because I myself have a moderate form of depression, [as in, the kind proclaimed by doctors and pyschologists, not the 'self-proclaimed' depressed kid,] and know how diffiucult it makes life for me when my mind doesn't want to cooperate. It's not fun, it's not cool, it's downright miserable sometimes. I've had a lot of issues with it, and seeing people mock them, [because that's really what people who pretend that they have depression are doing,] is extremely offending. I'd like to see one of those people suffer for a week with depression without medication.
as Mindfuck stated, I'm not saying that all cutters are "posers" and don't really have pyschological "issues", but that for those that don't have mental problems, it's really offending when they say they do.
[That said, I'm not saying that you need to have depression to be a "real" [not someone doing it for the attention] cutter, because I have a cousin who cut for almost 13 years with no depression, [despite her many trips to doctors and pyschologists,] And just recently quit. I'm just stating that people that cut/pretend to be suicidical/pretend to cut/pretend to have depression/pretend to have other mental problems are just what I stated: They PRETEND.
[/rant.]
I don't have a mental illness or a disorder, but I can fully understand how it can be offensive to people that do.

I don't even know how the trend started. Who's bright idea was it to think mental illness and depression and self harming was cool? Obviously, not everyone thinks this, but I'm baffled at the people who do.
the.sound.of.black:
The other day I came across a website where people submit photos of their injuries caused by self harming. Along with their pictures of fresh bleeding cuts, users can submit their story, and even update it later on. I was shocked. It is like having a site for people with anorexia where they can post pictures of their weightloss.
See, that's proof right there that some people are quite proud and seek attention for their cutting. As you said, it's almost as if this trend is an illness in itself Neutral
Nadia Way
Jazz Hands
Nadia Way
December 27th, 2008 at 12:07am
yeah. i agree that it seems to be an attention grabber. ^i agree
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
December 27th, 2008 at 01:36am
One Thousand Oceans:

Amen. Clap
[/rant.]

Same here, I have been diagnosed with manic depression from a doctor, I'm not on any meds, even though I should be. Due to the fact that I do have this order, a form of depression I do get really depressed and before I got diagnosed I got made fun of alot and one thing was for being an "emo" I don't know how I got started cutting but something just told me when I was nine if I did, it would make everything better. No one knew about it till I was 12. From my experince I never did it for attention, cause I didn't tell people, they ended up finding my fresh cuts and looking at my scars, so I hate it when people just say all these "emo" kids are doing just for the pure hell of it to "fit in" or to get attention. Unfortunately for some people it is like that, and I have no problem acknowledging it, and it does upset me alot. But it upsets me more though when someone has a real problem and they are mocked for it or they are given more hell.

Mindfuck:
I don't even know how the trend started. Who's bright idea was it to think mental illness and depression and self harming was cool? Obviously, not everyone thinks this, but I'm baffled at the people who do.

I don't know either, how does anything become a trend? I honestly think that self-mutaltion as a trend is upright revolting. I'm really opposed to emo and people trying to fit the sterio type, but I don't sit there and say "OMG I HATE EMOS!" People do have real problems and it shouldn't just be grouped with some people who want attention or want to be part of this trend, but at the same time I don't want to automatically say that all these people do all this crap just to get attention. I don't know I've put myself in a very bad predictament. And I'm sorry for kinda snapping at you earlier Mindfuck about your former friend, but yeah, I was just thinking from my own experiences where I lost friends due to the fact I wasn't always cheery, I wasn't snobby about it, but I just was very gloomy.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 30th, 2008 at 08:39am
Reckless Rogue:
I don't know either, how does anything become a trend? I honestly think that self-mutaltion as a trend is upright revolting. I'm really opposed to emo and people trying to fit the sterio type, but I don't sit there and say "OMG I HATE EMOS!" People do have real problems and it shouldn't just be grouped with some people who want attention or want to be part of this trend, but at the same time I don't want to automatically say that all these people do all this crap just to get attention. I don't know I've put myself in a very bad predictament. And I'm sorry for kinda snapping at you earlier Mindfuck about your former friend, but yeah, I was just thinking from my own experiences where I lost friends due to the fact I wasn't always cheery, I wasn't snobby about it, but I just was very gloomy.
Don't worry about "snapping" at me earlier. There's always going to be friction between those who understand and / or experienced self harming and those who don't understand it. I'm someone who doesn't understand it, but I try not to be ignorant about it.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
January 3rd, 2009 at 11:23pm
Corrupted Dreams:
Mindfuck:

Amen. Clap

Agreed. Up until I read that, I used to make comments about cutting myself and having problems when I didn't with the same intentions your friend had, thank you so much for posting that, that definitely changed my thinking. /offtopic

I think what Mindfuck said is pretty much the main reason for self-harming being more common in the trend way. But I think a cause for more people self-harming with genuine (for lack of a better word) causes might be because of the awareness of it- while I'm not saying that awareness is a bad thing, it's possible that a person who had a mental illness, and self-harmed would not have self-harmed if they had not heard someone say/write about it and how it made them feel better.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
January 26th, 2009 at 05:23pm
It's a bit more open and glamorized, so it seems that people take that idea that they've learned about and actually do it on purpose thinking that it will make their emotional pain go away. (Kinda like drinking)

Also, it is true that parents pressure thair kids and put expctations on their kids without looking at things from the point of view of their kids. SOme parents are very closed minded about the world, and some are older people who havn't went out into the real world since the 70's or 80's. That partially explains why they would remain oblivious to their child cutting his/herself.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
January 27th, 2009 at 02:54pm
Sad i no 2 people who have commited suicide, one just recently, but not because there mates have done it, but become they thought it was the only way... what i dont understand, is something should have been done to pevent it! its such a shame, and the worse way to die in my opinion, it affects everyone who knew them, i feel sorry for anyone who has to go thtough that, it should tell the world something that its so much more commen now than 10/20 years ago!...
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
Sad i no 2 people who have commited suicide, one just recently, but not because there mates have done it, but become they thought it was the only way... what i dont understand, is something should have been done to pevent it! its such a shame, and the worse way to die in my opinion, it affects everyone who knew them, i feel sorry for anyone who has to go thtough that, it should tell the world something that its so much more commen now than 10/20 years ago!...
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016