Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
May 24th, 2011 at 08:26am
doctor.:
Khaos-X-Revolution:
Today's generation is a helluva lot meaner because they have access to the internet and texting and therefore can harass people electronically
That doesn't make people meaner today. Perhaps there are more ways to bully people now but people, themselves, may not be any different. Bullying has always occurred in some form.

I agree, just because the world is more modern that maybe used to, but there is also always bin bullying so just because there is now phones and internet, doesnt mean that people themselves are changed. I know there ARE some wierdos out there but still there always has been, and maybe years ago, ( I wouldn't know but I am guessing) it was less safe but it would have the same rating of bullying today. Just because people may waste time with each other on the internet.
mar0o0ha
Bleeding on the Floor
mar0o0ha
August 30th, 2011 at 03:24pm
I dont think that self harming and suicide is done because its cool no i think they feel despair and sad and maybe without any supporting so that they do it no one hurt hisself to be cool just as i think
Kurt Coboner.
In the Cannibal Glow
Kurt Coboner.
October 17th, 2011 at 06:51pm
TROLLOL:
HA YOU GUYS CUT YOURSELF *VERY GOOD TROLL TROLL*
because that was necessary. go back to your cave.
brother nero;
Always Born a Crime
brother nero;
October 29th, 2011 at 08:23am
I cut myself as a way to cope. It's something I tend to regret doing but I don't know what else to do. I think that's why most people do it. It's definitely not related to music or anything, it astounds me when people try and blame music for how people feel. I don't really know what else to do when I feel a certain way...its kind of a substitute for having someone there. If that makes sense...
mar0o0ha
Bleeding on the Floor
mar0o0ha
October 29th, 2011 at 12:01pm
yea i agree its not related at all to music its a way we do release our bad feelings
bibbi_way_killjoy
Motor Baby
bibbi_way_killjoy
November 3rd, 2011 at 12:10pm
i used to cut myself to, and it dident have anything to do with music, i just had to mutch bad feelings inside, and the only way i could feel better was by cutting myself, the fysical pain is better than the emontional pain.
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
November 16th, 2011 at 06:46am
Some girl in the same yr as me killed themself over a silly thing. I dont really understand that people would be so ......
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
November 16th, 2011 at 11:44am
It may not have been a silly thing to her. Everybody perceives things differently; what may seem silly to you might have been horrific for her.
MCRisLUV
Killjoy
MCRisLUV
November 17th, 2011 at 10:29am
I agree that more of the younger generation is being attacked by the social media more than any age group i could possibly think of. In my junior year we had to do a report on a gobal issue and how we can prevent it. I chose teen suicide and studies have shown that most suicides range from the ages of 13-23 years of age (males with the highest rate)

Its very shocking how this can happen and I personally think that there should be more of a disscussion about suicide in general especialy during middle school. Since thats where teens start to develop their social skills, plus its the time when about all the students are going through the dreadful puburty (hint-hint ranging hormones)

The country itself needs to draw away from the tabbo of talking about suicide prevention for the good of the next generation.
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
November 24th, 2011 at 04:33am
If you say so
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 24th, 2011 at 11:16pm
Wolly-san:
If you say so
If you can contribute more to the conversation, instead of just saying: "my friend killed herself over something silly, i don't get it" and "if you say so" and as to why you think it was silly, it would make for a ten times better conversation.
Yara; wtf...:
This is a forum for serious discussions. Make a topic for something you want to discuss, such as abortions, war, school shootings etc.
We don't allow any kind of spamming in here which includes bumping threads. Either you stick to the topic, or your post will be deleted/edited.

8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

thanks!
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
December 12th, 2011 at 11:06am
Look. I know that yes the world has changed. But in my opinion I do think that some people are doing it just to get attention, because I have met so many people that cut themselves and are always depressed but its not like most of them want to die. No offence, but many people out there wouldn't kill themselves because they do want to stay alive. It doesnt really matter about the problem that made them start in the first place. I just think some people just do it to get sympathy. Sorry, but its the way that I feel about it because I know how they felt and its quite easy to control yourself from cutting yourself so why dont they even try. It annoys me!!!!
MCRAlwaysInMyHeart
Killjoy
MCRAlwaysInMyHeart
December 14th, 2011 at 05:47pm
It is easier to deal with physical pain than emotional. I think that many people who do cut have serious problems that they do not wish to talk about.
And they do talk about suicide in schools now, or at least how to prevent it. It has become more common with adolescents because of peer pressure, thinking that you have to do this or that to be perfect. More and more people have become obsessed with their body image because of the media, which could be leading to depression and eventually suicide. I believe that there is an alternative to cutting and suicide, but then again, with suicide, nobody thinks- they just act. Cutting is an act of misery where people want the emotional pain to go away. Nobody ever sees or hears about the person who was brave enough to put the gun down and talk.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
December 14th, 2011 at 07:52pm
Wolly-san:
Look. I know that yes the world has changed. But in my opinion I do think that some people are doing it just to get attention, because I have met so many people that cut themselves and are always depressed but its not like most of them want to die. No offence, but many people out there wouldn't kill themselves because they do want to stay alive. It doesnt really matter about the problem that made them start in the first place. I just think some people just do it to get sympathy. Sorry, but its the way that I feel about it because I know how they felt and its quite easy to control yourself from cutting yourself so why dont they even try. It annoys me!!!!

While there may be some people that really do cut for attention, you're making quite a few generalizations here. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the "its not like most of them want to die" statement, but you are right that a lot of time cutters aren't cutting to kill themselves, but just because they don't want to die doesn't mean its not a problem. Its obviously an indication of some underlying problem, unless its being done purely for attention (which even then I would argue that there may be something wrong), and it could potentially escalate into more suicidal behavior or thoughts.

As for the part about it being easy to keep yourself from cutting yourself, I can understand thinking that if you've never really dealt it yourself, but I'm going to have to disagree. There is some evidence that self-harm is actually addictive once you get in the habit of doing it all the time, especially if you are used to cutting as a coping mechanism if you're depressed, have anxiety, etc. I know this isn't a confession thread but I can tell you as a former cutter that it is not that simple to just stop doing it, it takes a lot of self-control and when you're in a place where you're distressed or whatever its difficult to tell yourself no. So I guess what I'm saying is while I know it might be easy to be annoyed by people if you don't understand what's going on, you can't just assume that people are seeking attention and aren't trying to quit when its probably more complicated than that.

I think that sometimes even the people who are cutting themselves don't even realize that its addictive until they get some help and learn a little bit about why they're doing it. I think its an issue that is hard to understand for many people, so I can see why a lot of people just write cutters off as attention seekers, but a little understanding goes a long way.
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
January 10th, 2012 at 10:26am
Heart Attack.:
Wolly-san:

While there may be some people that really do cut for attention, you're making quite a few generalizations here. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the "its not like most of them want to die" statement, but you are right that a lot of time cutters aren't cutting to kill themselves, but just because they don't want to die doesn't mean its not a problem. Its obviously an indication of some underlying problem, unless its being done purely for attention (which even then I would argue that there may be something wrong), and it could potentially escalate into more suicidal behavior or thoughts.

As for the part about it being easy to keep yourself from cutting yourself, I can understand thinking that if you've never really dealt it yourself, but I'm going to have to disagree. There is some evidence that self-harm is actually addictive once you get in the habit of doing it all the time, especially if you are used to cutting as a coping mechanism if you're depressed, have anxiety, etc. I know this isn't a confession thread but I can tell you as a former cutter that it is not that simple to just stop doing it, it takes a lot of self-control and when you're in a place where you're distressed or whatever its difficult to tell yourself no. So I guess what I'm saying is while I know it might be easy to be annoyed by people if you don't understand what's going on, you can't just assume that people are seeking attention and aren't trying to quit when its probably more complicated than that.

I think that sometimes even the people who are cutting themselves don't even realize that its addictive until they get some help and learn a little bit about why they're doing it. I think its an issue that is hard to understand for many people, so I can see why a lot of people just write cutters off as attention seekers, but a little understanding goes a long way.
The thruth is I used to cut myself so I know how hard it is to stop. So as long as there is something you care about you just have to think about that one thing and it helps. Kay?
MetalHead
Killjoy
MetalHead
January 13th, 2012 at 01:35pm
Yara; wtf...:

What can be done to prevent it?

> They need to first understand the cause of it before deciding to prevent it.
One of the main reason why it's hard to prevent because more people these days take their attention to one person rather than finding the cause of it. By ignoring the cause of it, they are basically ignoring more people who could be suffering from the same exact reason.

> Counselling.

Yara; wtf...:

Who does it affect?

> If they have a younger sibling, then it might affect them.

Yara; wtf...:

How can family members help?

> Family members could try and get involved in their life.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
February 20th, 2012 at 10:43pm
Wolly-san:
The thruth is I used to cut myself so I know how hard it is to stop. So as long as there is something you care about you just have to think about that one thing and it helps. Kay?

I'm not trying to attack you but I'm just curious as to why in the first comment I was responding to you were annoyed with people who are cutting because you said its easy to control yourself from cutting, when you just here you said you know its a hard thing to do. I guess I'm just trying to say that not everyone cuts for the same reason, and and some people are going to have a hard time quitting because of that. It does help to have someone or something you care about as motivation to stop, but for someone who is severely depressed or feels that no one would truly care whether they stopped or not, that might not be motivating to them.

And it goes back to the whole addiction thing. I think if more people realized that it can be addictive they would stop judging others who have a problem with cutting, which would in turn make it easier for them to talk about or seek out help hopefully.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 27th, 2012 at 04:51pm
If you cycled back pages to the posts I made in this thread when I was 15/16 and not going on 20, I probably would have wrote something along the lines of "omgg, people don't understand why people cut, they just need help there not all attention seekers!"

My attitude now however, is that theres plenty of help out there. Now more than ever. Being bullied? theres dozens of bullying charities spanning all the different types of bullying. Unsatisfying Homelife? Theres charities such as childline or the samaritans. I do think a factor in people cutting is that they've read that its a thing other people do, people need to start being pro active and start to look at ways to solve or deal with their problems instead of just turning to cutting when things go wrong
inkraven80
Killjoy
inkraven80
March 1st, 2012 at 05:48pm
I have struggled with self harm for 15 years. but i havent done any self harm in a few months. ive been doing great.
SiriuslySmitten
Killjoy
SiriuslySmitten
April 27th, 2012 at 10:51am
What can be done to prevent it?
Who does it affect?
Why is it more common now than 10-20 years ago?
Are there enough support groups?
How can family members help?

I don't know that it can be prevented. Thinking back to my teenage years, I can't think of anything that would have prevented me from doing it.

I'm an older fan, old enough to be a parent to many of other fans. It is no more prevalent now than it was when I was a teenager/in my 20's. It's just more "out there" now. Think of it this way: how many people there are that do this, and you know about it from the internet. Now think about how it was before the internet. You'd have never known how common it really was.