Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR Trivia

AuthorMessage
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
July 31st, 2006 at 04:24pm
Seems this is never mentioned anywhere, so I figured I would pass it along...

Ray and original drummer Matt were also previouly in a punk band called "The Rodneys". This band existed (going on my memory here...) around 1996-99??.

This was Ray and Matt's first band. They had a CD titled "Soccertown USA" which is a nickname given to Kearny NJ since it has historically been known as a soccer breeding ground and at one time had 3 Kearny players on the USA National soccer team.

Also of note, the singer for the Rodneys was Shawn Dillon. Shawn is the person who is credited for introducing Gerard and Ray. Shawn attended art school w/ Gerard and went on to become a tattoo artist at Silk City Tattoo's in Hawthorne, NJ.

The bassist was another friend George. Matt's credit on the Rodneys CD had him under the alias "Otter" which was a nickname we used to call him. Not sure how it came about.

I attended Kearny High with Ray, Matt (Otter) and Shawn and hung out in the same circle of friends until 2000 or so afterwhich I lost touch w/ them with the exception of bumping into them locally ever once in awhile.

I still have my Rodneys CD and its a nice collectors item w/ a little pre-MCR history. Wink
SuperBecky2410
Salute You in Your Grave
SuperBecky2410
July 31st, 2006 at 04:26pm
you seriously knew Ray well?........................kick ass if it's true

on another note, I didn't know any of that, really.
Sweetlily
Killjoy
Sweetlily
July 31st, 2006 at 04:27pm
Super Cool!!!
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
July 31st, 2006 at 04:32pm
Yes, its all true.

I dont want to name drop but throughout high school and a few years after we all used to hang out at a friends house... "Nick". His parents were super cool and let 30-40 kids there every Friday/Sat to hang and have crazy parties.
possible247
Jazz Hands
possible247
July 31st, 2006 at 04:54pm
holy shiz *goes off to do research

i want to be a tattoo artist when i grow up
Sapph
Fabulous Killjoy
Sapph
July 31st, 2006 at 04:59pm
possible247:

Yeah I always thought about being a tattoo artist...

Anyway I never knew any of that, but that's freakin awesome.. lol
possible247
Jazz Hands
possible247
July 31st, 2006 at 05:04pm
ohh i found an article on them on Wikipidia:

The Rodneys was a punk rock band formed in 1994 in Kearny, New Jersey. The band was fronted by Shawn Dillon with George Collazo on bass. Future members of My Chemical Romance Ray Toro played guitar and Matt Pelissier played drums.

The Rodneys was known for a humorous blend of science fiction and toilet humour which gained them a modest local following and the band was a perennial favorite at the famous Newark club, the Pipeline. An album, "Soccertown, USA," was released in 1998 by Sellout Soon Records. The band, though promising, dissolved after internal conflict involving a Snapple Iced Tea whose contents had been replaced with urine.
possible247
Jazz Hands
possible247
July 31st, 2006 at 05:06pm
Sapphy:
possible247:

Yeah I always thought about being a tattoo artist...

Anyway I never knew any of that, but that's freakin awesome.. lol

Shocked i loooooovve your Avater Very Happy
Sapph
Fabulous Killjoy
Sapph
July 31st, 2006 at 05:38pm
Thanks I love yours too! LOL Very Happy
Sapph
Fabulous Killjoy
Sapph
July 31st, 2006 at 05:39pm
possible247:

The Rodneys was a punk rock band formed in 1994 in Kearny, New Jersey. The band was fronted by Shawn Dillon with George Collazo on bass. Future members of My Chemical Romance Ray Toro played guitar and Matt Pelissier played drums.

The Rodneys was known for a humorous blend of science fiction and toilet humour which gained them a modest local following and the band was a perennial favorite at the famous Newark club, the Pipeline. An album, "Soccertown, USA," was released in 1998 by Sellout Soon Records. The band, though promising, dissolved after internal conflict involving a Snapple Iced Tea whose contents had been replaced with urine.

eww that's nasty!! yucky... urine.I wonder who drank it??
xxHow I Disappearxx
Motor Baby
xxHow I Disappearxx
July 31st, 2006 at 05:46pm
ew, I don't wanna know.

And I love your ava, too Very Happy
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
July 31st, 2006 at 05:56pm
possible247:

Ahh... the Pipeline... memories (shut its doors years ago).

'94 huh? Well, I remember seeing their first shows when I was a senior in '96 so I was close. Wasnt sure when the actually formed.

I graduated in '96. Ray and Shawn graduated in '95 and I believe Matt graduated in '97.

I can scan some shots of the CD later if you guys are interested. There's a small photo of Ray and Matt.
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
July 31st, 2006 at 05:56pm
wow, thats awesome...yo
Sapph
Fabulous Killjoy
Sapph
July 31st, 2006 at 06:07pm
*Black*Rose*:
ew, I don't wanna know.

And I love your ava, too Very Happy
LOl thanks
possible247
Jazz Hands
possible247
July 31st, 2006 at 11:42pm
el matador:
possible247:

Ahh... the Pipeline... memories (shut its doors years ago).

'94 huh? Well, I remember seeing their first shows when I was a senior in '96 so I was close. Wasnt sure when the actually formed.

I graduated in '96. Ray and Shawn graduated in '95 and I believe Matt graduated in '97.

I can scan some shots of the CD later if you guys are interested. There's a small photo of Ray and Matt.

That would be cool Cool
SuperBecky2410
Salute You in Your Grave
SuperBecky2410
August 1st, 2006 at 03:40am
I would really like to see a picture of you with this guys. Shifty
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
August 1st, 2006 at 06:52am
OK, I'll make the scans of the CD tonight.
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
August 1st, 2006 at 06:57am
GerardsGroupie:
I would really like to see a picture of you with this guys. Shifty

Sorry dont have any pictures from back then. This was long before digital cameras, the online revolution, my space etc... There was never a need to document your life. Kids didnt really walk around w/ film cameras either.... This was 10 years ago.
monkeyinair
Bleeding on the Floor
monkeyinair
August 1st, 2006 at 07:55am
habablublbusabladhbs!!! YOU KNOW RAY!!!!! lucky person...
el matador
Killjoy
el matador
August 1st, 2006 at 06:06pm
OK, I emailed a friend today who used to date Shawn from the Rodneys and she gave me this scanned pic...

Left to right:

Shawn Dillon, George, Matt(Otter) Pelissier, Shawn Orr(another friend and singer of the now defunct Chapter13 punk band), Ray Toro sitting down.

Ray is wearing what he typically wore back then. Tight jeans, glasses, nike's and either a black Metallica, Iron Maiden or Megadeth T-shirt. He would sometimes wear the hat you see (NJ devils hockey team). He always had a short 'fro back then...