Don't have an account? Create one!

Censorship on television.

AuthorMessage
Thursday's Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Thursday's Child
December 7th, 2006 at 11:27pm
I agree, v-chips and parent control are a much better alternative.
I'm almost postive that almost every television has a setting to block certain shows.
why have the government protect us when we can protect ourselves?
we need to make these kinds of decisions ourselves.

beside, I just think that there are a lot of better ways to spend time and money besides funding government agencies to regulate how many times the main character is allowed to say "f*ck" per episode.
and fining them if they exceed the limit of "decency,"
lux lisbon.
Always Born a Crime
lux lisbon.
December 7th, 2006 at 11:56pm
I've recently developed a strange new understanding of TV censorship.
Here, in the US, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) only has censorship control over broadcast networks.
ABC, NBC, CBS, & other networks of that nature.
All cable networks are essentially unregulated by the government.
They regulate themselves; the networks share a mutual understanding of what's "decent" and what's not.

I just think that's kind of interesting.
That, even left without legal consequences, cable networks still comply to standard censorship regulations.
Apparently, it's important enough to the general public that they'd discontinue paying for cable if all they got was sex and violence and profanity.

This is in no way a reflection of my personal beliefs regarding censorship.
I just thought it was an interesting piece of information.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
December 8th, 2006 at 12:02am
Viva--Forever:
Okay, I don't know how many of you know, but today there has been talk of cartoons being censored because they have scenes which are considered 'unsuitable for young children'.
Tom and Jerry is the cartoon in question this time around and what is wrong is that in a few episodes, Tom (the cat) is shown smoking.
So I want to know what you think.
Has censorship gone too far?
Do you really think children are so influenced by cartoons that they want to do exactly what the characters do?
Should the people who censor our television programs be more worried about the violence, teen pregnancies and crime shown on shows for teenagers before the 9pm watershed or what happens in well-known and well-loved cartoons aimed at children?

Censorship has gone a bit too far. Small, insignificant things that happen in cartoons generally have no effect on childer, all though they do follow many things they see. Some children are so gullible that they believe cartoon character's actions will make them like cartoon characters. I think the cencorers should worry about parents doing stupid things around their children. Blaming the television is just like blaming music...
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
Killjoy
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
December 31st, 2006 at 12:53pm
It truly has gone to far. They will swear on A&E at 6 pm, and on 10 pn=m, on the spike network, they can't do it! Its stupid! They bleep out all this swearing, and show all the stupid crap on MTV!!! Like all those music videos with 50cent, then Green Day makes a video with a hot punk doing stupid things and they have to put a warning on it!!! It's all stupid to me!!!
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 2nd, 2007 at 02:09pm
I think that censorship in programmes is wrong. You should be able to choose what you watch without it having to be censored incase children may be watching.

However, the advertising break during cartoons and childrens programmes is something they need to censor. Some of the adverts shown on kids channels or in the middle of kids programmes are very graphic violence-wise. They need to think about if the advertisments they show are appropriate for the audience watching the programme.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
January 2nd, 2007 at 06:34pm
Yeah, most of the ads on kids TV are for loans or car insurance. It may be because kids channels are the ones that parents are most likely to see, but it gives kids the idea that parents can easily get money for holidays, presents and redecoration.
So they start to expect it or say "Well you could just get a loan..." which could guilt parents into taking out a loan, and could lead them into severe debt or bankruptcy.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 3rd, 2007 at 02:59am
It's gone too far now, shouldn't they be looking at other problems, and more influenceful programs/games like GTA ect ?
I read somewhere that a a boy isn't aloud to watch the power rangers because his mum thinks that it's too violent, and she doesn't want him to start hitting other children.
But in a way i's down to the parent too, leave a child to watch something violent, and they might just copy what they see, but if the parents tell them what's right and wrong, it won't usualy become as much a problem
Bibz
Really Not Okay
Bibz
January 3rd, 2007 at 12:38pm
The american sensorship policy is the stupidest of all, they'll edit out sex scene or nudity in TV and movies yet openly show someone getting shot. this says a lot about american culture, they rather have people shooting each other than having sex. Personally i rather have a great night of sex then get shot in the stomach, but thats just me. MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!!!
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
January 3rd, 2007 at 04:24pm
Bibz:
The american sensorship policy is the stupidest of all, they'll edit out sex scene or nudity in TV and movies yet openly show someone getting shot. this says a lot about american culture, they rather have people shooting each other than having sex. Personally i rather have a great night of sex then get shot in the stomach, but thats just me. MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!!!!

The reason for censoring sex scenes and nudity and not violence is because sex is something children are supposed to learn about when they reach a certain age.
Like if a young child were to flip around channels and see some graphic scenes, violence would be a lot easier for the parent to explain than sex.
Im sure there are many other reasons for censoring sex/nudity, but that was just the first one that came to mind.
Bibz
Really Not Okay
Bibz
January 3rd, 2007 at 09:50pm
i beg to differ, as in sex is a natural part of life, someone "busting a cap in their homies ass" isn't. Sex is only a taboo because american society makes it so. Its not a taboo in europe and they have a surprisingly lower percentage of murders. *cough* you do the math.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
January 4th, 2007 at 01:50am
A culture's view on sex and nudity and their murder/violent crime ratios are very rarely,
if ever, connected.
In most of the western world, sex is a more delicate topic than violence.
It's not just America.
whatabigbooger
Killjoy
whatabigbooger
January 4th, 2007 at 10:38pm
I think that cencership has gone to far. I believe in expression and however someone wants to express themselves verbally or phisically is their buisness. I hate it when there is so much censorship. The media basically runs the world. The media is power. I think the media should use this power and show people the reality of the world instead of creating a fake world, then us finding out what really goes on by ourselves.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 7th, 2007 at 09:51pm
3 year olds watch tv for the pretty colours. They have no idea what the heck is going on until they reach about 12. And it's true. I had no idea what the real meaning was behind the Lion King until I was about 12. I was like you're kidding!

But seriously there is some really crappy stuff on TV at the moment. But as long as people watch it they will keep making it. And yes censorship has gone a bit too far. They took a whole heap of scenes out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre for being to grapic. I mean if anyone was gunna commit a crime and needed info...read a crime book. You will know what not to do wrong!

But I think tv censors the wrong things. Get rid of Big Brother.
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
January 12th, 2007 at 03:39am
Of course. I think things should be censored.
Sure, there are older people out there who already know what it's like... swears,
sex, drugs, violence. But it isn't for kids! We can't just let them hear swearing on
television, or seeing someone naked, or anything like that. I mean, honestly.
Censoring is no big deal. And it's good that kids don't see things like that on TV.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 12th, 2007 at 10:45pm
oh yeah i didnt mean that tv censors are bad....i meant they focus on censoring the wrong things most of the time.
Punkness
Killjoy
Punkness
January 13th, 2007 at 08:28pm
The cancled Rocko's Modern Life because of it! And Ren & Stimpy...next thing you know Spongebob will too!!! I mean..seriously, how is "I know let's get naked! Naa, let's save that for when we're sending real estate..." NOT perverted?
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
January 14th, 2007 at 02:21pm
I'm glad they're is censorship on tv beacuse i don't want my 7 year old sister watching Dora doing it.LOL
H e l e n a
Killjoy
H e l e n a
January 14th, 2007 at 06:46pm
I don't think things like a cartoon smoking on tv effects kids. But I do think that in some cases violence and crime should be censored for young kids.
XxDisastrousLove
Fabulous Killjoy
XxDisastrousLove
April 8th, 2007 at 01:34pm
I think that censorship has gone too far.
I mean yes, I do agree that 'cuss words' should probably be banned.
But in other ways it has gone to far. For example I was in the car with my friend listening to her Sirius radio and the song "Hate Me" by Blue October came on and the bleeped "cockroach" and "suicide." How sheltering is that?
As far as cartoons are concerned, if you're gonna shame "Tom & Jerry" for lighting up, the you need to shame "Spongebob Squarepants" for just about half the things that he does. All of that is complete insanity. Rolling Eyes
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 12th, 2007 at 09:07am
Why cover up smoking on TV? You walk round town with young chilren and there are people smoking, so what is a TV programme gonna do bout it?