Global Warming

AuthorMessage
Sheri; on the Coast!
Always Born a Crime
Sheri; on the Coast!
September 11th, 2006 at 09:16am
Global Warming -

What can be done to prevent it?

What risks do we face in the future for ignoring it?

Is it a serious issue?

Why do you think some people ignore the problem of Global Warming?

----------------------------------
I've recently been informed of the site stopglobalwarming.org, and after reading through it, I must say I'm amazed. I had no idea what a problem it was to the environment; I knew a little about it, but after becoming more educated in the topic, I joined the fight to stop Global Warming. We don't have anywhere to go when this planet is destroyed, we need to stop destroying it now and not wait for future generations to do it for us.
Detention Boy.
Shotgun Sinner
Detention Boy.
September 11th, 2006 at 09:41am
The best way to prevent it is to stop driving our cars(There are at least two cars per family and the world population is getting rather big) - or at least modify them to be less harmful for the environment , because all the fumes we're letting out into the atmosphere are making holes in the ozon layer thus letting the UV rays heat up the air and making our summers imposiblly hot, winters too warm and we've almost lost fall and spring because of the huge temperature amplitudes...

Of course it is a serious issue because, if we don't do something about it, there won't be anything left for the future generations. I think we've developed too fast for our own good. All that technology we use is causing huge damage to the nature around us and no one seems to be doing much about it....

I don't know why that problem is being ignored so much though... I mean it concerns all of us...So why do just rare individuals feel like that problem needs to be taken care of in the near future?
Sheri; on the Coast!
Always Born a Crime
Sheri; on the Coast!
September 11th, 2006 at 09:46am
The US is responsible for 22% of the yearly damage. The average car leaks 5.5 tons of O-Zone affecting toxins into the air every year. Many countries are passing laws on how companies manufacture harmful products, to keep the air pollutant levels down. I feel the US needs to do more on it's part to stop it. 22% is a lot... Way too much.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 11th, 2006 at 09:46am

Recycling paper, plastic and metals. And I don't have any source for this, but I was once told that if every household in the US switched to energy-saving bulbs, it'd have the same effect as taking 3 million cars off the road. And a lot of places use more bulbs than they actually need. Our school took 1 in 3 of the bulbs in our school away and no one even noticed. It helps the environment and it saves money. Walking/cycling instead of using motorised transport. Using public transport or car pooling. Oh and my mate who was a super-environmentalist made us plant trees. Which is actually pretty good fun if you do it with a group of mates.

Governments need to improve public transport and make recycling easier. (Although I understand that certainly in the UK recycling is on your doorstep. But it isn't in Malaysia.)

I think it is a very serious issue, because if we leave it, it might be too late. And no one really knows for sure how long it could take for it to become a major problem to us.

I think a lot of people ignore global warming because its easier. If you convince yourself its nothing to do with you, then you can be lazier. I mean, everyones been there, right? Should I walk to the mall? It'd be a fair old hike, but I could do it... Nah, I'll take the car. Its so easy to slip into. I'm not saying always walk everywhere, but its so easy to use the car when you really don't need to. I really enjoy walking, and its good for you.

(P.S. I'm not great at biology and that sort of thing, so if I got any of that stuff wrong... I tried! Please feel free to correct me.)
Sheri; on the Coast!
Always Born a Crime
Sheri; on the Coast!
September 11th, 2006 at 10:39am
Mud:
I was once told that if every household in the US switched to energy-saving bulbs, it'd have the same effect as taking 3 million cars off the road.

I think a lot of people ignore global warming because its easier. If you convince yourself its nothing to do with you, then you can be lazier. I mean, everyones been there, right? Should I walk to the mall? It'd be a fair old hike, but I could do it... Nah, I'll take the car. Its so easy to slip into. I'm not saying always walk everywhere, but its so easy to use the car when you really don't need to. I really enjoy walking, and its good for you.

Not only are energy saving bulbs a good way to help, they end up saving you money, and who doesn't want some extra cash?

Simple things like only using your diswasher/washing machine/dryer on full loads not only save money, but help prevent Global Warming. Say you only need one outfit washed, instead of wasting energy and creating needless pollution, put a load in. I bet your parents would thank you, not only for their lower water bills, but for helping them in the house. It's a win/win situation, right?

A big problem with people is the fact that they like to ignore many problems because 'it has nothing to do with them'. Or 'I don't need to do that, other people will'. Those 'other people' will make a difference, I'm sure... But if everybody was more aware of problems in the world, we'd have a place to live for years and years to come. We'd have a drastic change, for the better... As opposed to for the worse.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
September 11th, 2006 at 02:21pm
Just to let everyone know- global warming can't be prevented...it can however be delayed. The melting of the ice caps, and the beginning of the ice age is the way the earth replenishes itself. There has been alot of ice ages over the 65 Million years the earth has been around, and I am sure their will be many more until the sun explodes.

What can be done to delay it, or at least stop it from coming sooner would be to start designing more cars that run on electricity or something other than gas. You can't ban cars- they have become too much of an importance in human life, like computers.

Recycling is a big thing everyone should start doing.

But overall there is probably nothing one person can do. It has to be the ENTIRE world participating in this, and frankly there are too many people who are uneducated and plain just don't care.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
September 11th, 2006 at 03:00pm
not enough is being done to prevent it, we're ruining our planet for our children & our children's children etc. by the time action takes place it'll be too late.
knights of cydonia.
Salute You in Your Grave
knights of cydonia.
September 11th, 2006 at 10:44pm
Well many people just don't care for it since they don't know what it's causing or going to cause in the future. But even people who are informed don't seem to care because they really don't believe it's a serious issue or actually happening. Truth is, they should care about what'll happen to their home [earth] or they should care how this would affect the people in the future like children and other family members.

Yes, not only us are causing global warming but if we help, we will delay it. We might if at least the majority of us help. All those reasons listed above will help but how many of us actually go through it? Another thing that doesn't help is that the hole in the ozone layer that is becoming greater. If the ozone layer goes, the climate will be even warmer yet and well, global warming will be here sooner.

This needs to be heard. Global Warming is nearer than we believe it to be. If we don't act now, well, there won't even be an Earth.

[Did i get those facts right? Confused]
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
September 12th, 2006 at 11:05am
No...the ice caps are going to melt anyway, but when they do, they won't flood the entire earth...basically this will cause another ice age.

Humans have survived the Ice Age before. But that's not saying alot of innocent people are going to die.
I'm_Ok_Now!
Killjoy
I'm_Ok_Now!
September 13th, 2006 at 08:33pm
wow.. im loving this site even more......
i believe we could stop globe warming with the educationa and some strict rules and have more public transport so we reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the world... we just need a better plan of attack and more money to save this wonderful worldSmile
a perfect circle.
Salute You in Your Grave
a perfect circle.
September 14th, 2006 at 05:54pm
Hey...I'm just scared that's all...I don't wanna die.
I can barely swim and this world flooding is like that last think I'd actually survive.
All I know that it's too late to actually prevent it. This world is already in enough trouble with the o-zone layer cummbling..and we can barely prevent that.
knights of cydonia.
Salute You in Your Grave
knights of cydonia.
September 14th, 2006 at 11:26pm
Well, if the ozone layer does completely go [thats one big if], it still won't affect us for some time. Sure, temperature might get warmer, but not that much. So the ozone layer hardly, but partially does, help global warming. And since we can barely prevent that, then we have to do something else.

Recycle, Walk or bike around instead of using cars, and don't use any type electricity unless you have to... Smile

We can't stop global warming, but like Queer As Jenni said, we can try to delay it Mr. Green
a perfect circle.
Salute You in Your Grave
a perfect circle.
September 15th, 2006 at 09:39am
That's a really good idea...
It's just that my muscles are shore from gym and my bike got stolen....
But..I hope your right

You make me feel much better..Very Happy
a perfect circle.
Salute You in Your Grave
a perfect circle.
September 15th, 2006 at 09:39am
*Sweet, Sweet=69=Revenge*:
Well, if the ozone layer does completely go [thats one big if], it still won't affect us for some time. Sure, temperature might get warmer, but not that much. So the ozone layer hardly, but partially does, help global warming. And since we can barely prevent that, then we have to do something else.

Recycle, Walk or bike around instead of using cars, and don't use any type electricity unless you have to... Smile

We can't stop global warming, but like Queer As Jenni said, we can try to delay it Mr. Green
That's a really good idea...
It's just that my muscles are shore from gym and my bike got stolen....
But..I hope your right

You make me feel much better..Very Happy
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
September 20th, 2006 at 05:16pm
It is a huge problem, But I guess some people think that what difference will it make if they don't use their car as often ect Its only one less person right? But if everyone thought that, then all the campagning and everything that has been done would be pointless. I don't know if any of you has soon the movie "an inconvinient truth" But Its awesome. It really highlights the issue of global warming, and i think if everyone saw it, it would make a huge difference in the way people do things.

But some scientists are saying that global warming doesn't exsist, that radical weather changes is all part of nature, and that they happen all the while, true, maybe. But Storms have been getting worse in the last decade or so right? so surely human activaty has something to do with it some-what.

I think we should all try our hardest to prevent global warming, recycling and walking instead of using the car ect. but in the end it will arrive, it's just a matter of preventing it.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 21st, 2006 at 04:00am
I agree that radical weather change is part of nature. Whether or not the changes we have seen recently are related to that or global warming, really, who knows? But even if the changes are natural, we're not helping ourselves by pumping more toxic gases into the air, some of which cause the Earth to heat further.
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
September 22nd, 2006 at 07:37am
We can find a different energy sources. Everybody can do something to help. Even if its just turning off a light when you leave a room.
knights of cydonia.
Salute You in Your Grave
knights of cydonia.
September 23rd, 2006 at 03:04pm
Yeah, if we all at least do something we can delay it that much faster.

People need to start being so ignorant and pay attention to the world around them! Do something to help Global Warming be stopped. People who know about this, spread it around. Doesn't matter what people will think of you, just tell them.
Drunk Kid Catholic
Killjoy
Drunk Kid Catholic
September 24th, 2006 at 02:06pm
I think that there is not such thing. Climate changes it's just normal.
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
September 24th, 2006 at 08:12pm
Theres a giant hole in the ozone over the south pole. Thats not climate change that's globe warming.