Don't have an account? Create one!

Global Warming

AuthorMessage
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 12th, 2007 at 07:45pm
Beeblebrox:
Here is a chart taken directly from the data on the vostok ice core sample which spans 420,000 years back and revealed 4 past glacial cycles and from Dome Fsample that spans back 730,000 years. They recently completed te deepest core sample ever from Dome C last year which spans back 800,000 years and all three samples taken from three different teams show the same thing.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/christinaterry/vostokcore.jpg

The atmospheric concentration of CO2 has varied greatly over time, from a recent high of more than 380 parts-per-million (ppm) 25 million years ago, to a low of about 180 ppm during several periods of glaciation over the past 650,000 years (Figure 1).

As can be seen, CO2 levels go through cycles of increase and decrease over 100,000 year intervals, which correspond to eccentricity changes in the earth's orbit.

The atmospheric concentration of CO2 was relatively constant at about 280 ppm for ~1,000 years before 1750. Since 1750, the CO2 concentration has risen, reaching ~377 ppm in 2005. The inset (small graph in upper right) shows the atmospheric levels of CO2 for the last 44 years. During that short period of time, CO2 levels have risen nearly 60 ppm, producing the sharp spike at the far right of the main graph.

Although the cycles of CO2 levels (approximately 100,000 years apart) are naturally on a rise from the last ice age, the spike is dramatically higher than any levels seen over the last 800,000 years.

And here's the article on the last drilled ice core.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

That is very interesting.

I'm not denying that we are the cause of rising CO2 and I think it is good to reduce our overall usage. What I am saying is that global warming would have happened reguardless of any human interaction with the environment. It is part of a natural cycle of the Earth and there is nothing we can do to stop it. It would help if we did conserve energy and reduce our use of things that harm the environment.
Rock Steady
Salute You in Your Grave
Rock Steady
July 20th, 2007 at 02:10am
SO what about the thousands of scientists... im not sure exactly how many i think it like 17.000 but that signed a document stating that GLOBAL WARMING IS NATURAL.

i found this quoe somewhere.. and it made me think of the golbal warming arguments. "Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts"
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 20th, 2007 at 02:21pm
Rock Steady:
SO what about the thousands of scientists... im not sure exactly how many i think it like 17.000 but that signed a document stating that GLOBAL WARMING IS NATURAL.

i found this quoe somewhere.. and it made me think of the golbal warming arguments. "Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts"

I've never heard about a document like that. Do you have a link or something?
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 20th, 2007 at 07:26pm
Undeniable Global Warming
By Naomi Oreskes
published in the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post

Many people have the impression that there is significant scientific disagreement about global climate change. It's time to lay that misapprehension to rest. There is a scientific consensus on the fact that Earth's climate is heating up and human activities are part of the reason. We need to stop repeating nonsense about the uncertainty of global warming and start talking seriously about the right approach to address it.

The scientific consensus is clearly expressed in the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Created in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environmental Program, the IPCC is charged with evaluating the state of climate science as a basis for informed policy action. In its most recent assessment, the IPCC states unequivocally that the consensus of scientific opinion is that Earth's climate is being affected by human activities: "Human activities . . . are modifying the concentration of atmospheric constituents . . . that absorb or scatter radiant energy. . . . [M]ost of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations."

The IPCC is not alone in its conclusions. In recent years all major scientific bodies in the United States whose members' expertise bears directly on the matter have issued similar statements. A National Academy of Sciences report begins unequivocally: "Greenhouse gases are accumulating in Earth's atmosphere as a result of human activities, causing surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures to rise." The report explicitly asks whether the IPCC assessment is a fair summary of professional scientific thinking, and it answers yes. Others agree. The American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union and the American Association for the Advancement of Science have all issued statements concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling.

The Institute for Scientific Information keeps a database on published scientific articles, which my research assistants and I used to answer that question with respect to global climate change. We read 928 articles published in scientific journals between 1993 and 2003 and listed in the database with the keywords "global climate change." Seventy-five percent of the papers either explicitly or implicitly accepted the consensus view. The remaining 25 percent dealt with other facets of the subject, taking no position on whether current climate change is caused by human activity. NONE of the papers disagreed with the consensus position.

There have been arguments to the contrary, but they are not to be found in scientific literature. There, the message is clear and unambiguous. So why does it seem as if there is major scientific disagreement? Because a few noisy skeptics -- most of whom are not even scientists -- have generated a lot of chatter in the mass media. You can always find someone, somewhere, to disagree, but these conclusions represent our best available science, and therefore our best basis for reasoned action.
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 20th, 2007 at 07:37pm
You can continue to read article after article that says humans are the cause of global warming, but it's far from true. Sure, we help speed it up but we are not the only cause. Do any of those articles acknowledge that the earth's tilt changes? Do any of them view the ENTIRE history of temperatures and climates? How many of them mention another cause of global warming other than human activity? The articles purposely leave out important information so that they can be used for political purposes.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
July 20th, 2007 at 08:44pm
^It said it was part of the reason, if you read the article. If they said it was the only reason, that would be wrong. We are speeding up with the greenhouse gases and such.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 20th, 2007 at 08:47pm
I would assume that if a group of scientists read over 928 different reports from other scientists all over the world that yes, those reports include the earths tilt, the entire history of temperatures and account for all other factors. These are professionally educated scientists, which we are not. They are trained to research every aspect, they are trained to look for other factors and they are trained to find the real facts.

If 928 of them all wrote papers and NONE of them disagreed and even more so, 75% AGREED definitely, then YES, I will believe them. If you continue to ignore article after article when obviously the majority of scientists agree that GW exists, then you have closed your mind to any possibility and I wonder why you are in this thread. The only people who don't believe are people who are not scientists themselves and therefore do not possess all the facts.
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 21st, 2007 at 06:37pm
I only asked those questions because some of the articles lay the blame entirely upon us for GW. In my previous posts, I acknowledged that GW exists, but we cannot stop it.
ninth wonder.
Bleeding on the Floor
ninth wonder.
August 19th, 2007 at 06:18pm
Why stop using eletricity etc. now,
It still happened millions of years ago,
And they didn't even have cars and electricity then.
Us causing it to happen quicker makes no sense,
Because it still happened years ago, naturally.

And even of we do stop using our cars etc.,
We can't stop the cows farting.
They're the main cause of it all.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
August 20th, 2007 at 01:18pm
cliche:
Why stop using eletricity etc. now,
It still happened millions of years ago,
And they didn't even have cars and electricity then.
Us causing it to happen quicker makes no sense,
Because it still happened years ago, naturally.

And even of we do stop using our cars etc.,
We can't stop the cows farting.
They're the main cause of it all.

Its not really the methane that animals produce causing it. Its more of the concentrated amounts of it coming from factory farms.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 21st, 2007 at 01:40am
global warming is something to be scared of.
if we stop driving cars that arent safe for the enviorment it will do more harm
thats why even car companys are making hybrid full effeceint(sp) cars.

as for electricity i dont think we should fully stop using it we should conserve the elecetricity we dont use for a better cause.
if everyone saves i stead of use up and use up it will make some sort of diffrence
truley there are less people in this world who actually care about there lives and lifestyles then the world and the future which is a sad thing.
Carrie White
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Carrie White
August 21st, 2007 at 02:01am
global warming is natural, but it was supposed to happening over a 1,000 years early. we are the cause of it. many people arent gonna change their lifestyles, but many people already have.

pretty soon every car will be a hybrid, its better for the environment and better for us.
Wolf Child
Killjoy
Wolf Child
August 21st, 2007 at 07:49pm
You know that we could just turn all the electric off, shut down all the factories in the word and stop the power stations. that would stop it all instantly but i think now that we've started it off even if we did do that global warming would keep going just not as fast
bjork's assistant.
Salute You in Your Grave
bjork's assistant.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:03pm
What can be done to prevent it?

Well, everyday things... Just walking, biking, taking the bus places... And putting the thermostat lower in winter. Simple stuff like that.

What risks do we face in the future for ignoring it?

Well, it is said that alot of vegetation will die, leaving us without agriculture. And without agriculture, no animals. Therefor, NO FOOD. Also... if the icecaps keep melting, the artctic animals could and will die, causing a huge mess-up in the food chain. Plus the icecaps' water could flood coastal cities. ADN WE COULD DIE OF EXCESSIVE HEAT.

Is it a serious issue?

Yeah, it is. It's pretty much a matter of life and death.

Why do you think some people ignore the problem of Global Warming?

Because well, some people can't handle the truth. And they don't want to put in some effort to make it end. Plus, some people just ADORE the way we live and don't want to give up our polluting technologies. IE; Fuelled cars.
bjork's assistant.
Salute You in Your Grave
bjork's assistant.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:03pm

Well, everyday things... Just walking, biking, taking the bus places... And putting the thermostat lower in winter. Simple stuff like that.

Well, it is said that alot of vegetation will die, leaving us without agriculture. And without agriculture, no animals. Therefor, NO FOOD. Also... if the icecaps keep melting, the artctic animals could and will die, causing a huge mess-up in the food chain. Plus the icecaps' water could flood coastal cities. ADN WE COULD DIE OF EXCESSIVE HEAT.

Is it a serious issue?

Because well, some people can't handle the truth. And they don't want to put in some effort to make it end. Plus, some people just ADORE the way we live and don't want to give up our polluting technologies. IE; Fuelled cars.
bjork's assistant.
Salute You in Your Grave
bjork's assistant.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:04pm

Is it a serious issue?

bjork's assistant.
Salute You in Your Grave
bjork's assistant.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:10pm
Sorry I posted three timess Sad

-Carolyne
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
September 4th, 2007 at 02:19am
Honestly, I don't think lowering your thermostat or not leaving your telly on standby or driving a hybrid car is going to help. It's not going to be the masses that save themselves from global warming.

It's going to be science, and those who truly understand it.

Anyway, it's not like it's the end of the world.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
September 4th, 2007 at 04:54pm
sir_pleb:
Honestly, I don't think lowering your thermostat or not leaving your telly on standby or driving a hybrid car is going to help. It's not going to be the masses that save themselves from global warming. It's going to be science, and those who truly understand it.

Driving a hybrid will help. It will help decrease our dependency on foreign oil making our economy stronger and it will make the air we breathe 100x cleaner. I live and work in the NYC area and everyday I have to choke down fumes from the 100,000 cars, buses and taxis that crowd the streets. My hair and clothes smell like exhaust. My husband's asthma goes crazy when he goes into NYC. If everyone drove a hybrid, there would be no street pollution. People would get sick less often. The air would be so much cleaner. And then we wouldn't be running polluting factories night and day to process all that oil that goes into making gasoline. And we wouldn't have to spend more oil to ship it from country to country to cities all over.

Not to mention that it was science that created hybrid technology in the first place, so that last statement seems a bit illogical.
TheDemolitionLover
Killjoy
TheDemolitionLover
September 4th, 2007 at 05:55pm
I agree. If everyone does their part to try to help stop Global Warming we may be able to accomplish something, but on the other hand if its only a few people doing their part, such as driving hybrid cars and switching to the energy efficient light bulbs, then nothing will ever happen. power is in numbers