Global Warming

AuthorMessage
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 8th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Beeblebrox:
sir_pleb:
Honestly, I don't think lowering your thermostat or not leaving your telly on standby or driving a hybrid car is going to help. It's not going to be the masses that save themselves from global warming. It's going to be science, and those who truly understand it.

Driving a hybrid will help. It will help decrease our dependency on foreign oil making our economy stronger and it will make the air we breathe 100x cleaner. I live and work in the NYC area and everyday I have to choke down fumes from the 100,000 cars, buses and taxis that crowd the streets. My hair and clothes smell like exhaust. My husband's asthma goes crazy when he goes into NYC. If everyone drove a hybrid, there would be no street pollution. People would get sick less often. The air would be so much cleaner. And then we wouldn't be running polluting factories night and day to process all that oil that goes into making gasoline. And we wouldn't have to spend more oil to ship it from country to country to cities all over.

Not to mention that it was science that created hybrid technology in the first place, so that last statement seems a bit illogical.
agreed. i live in nyc aswell its not pretty smelling and inhaling all that stuff in your body.
if you dont stop the pullution,driving cars that run on regular fule,etc etc all that stuff then the world would be pretty damn close to the end.
I was watching the news one day and a scientist said that "If we dont stop the pollution then in the next 30 years our lakes,oceans rivers will not have any edible fish. the water will be toxic."
does that look nice if you imagine it?
we have an onzone layer in our atmosphere that protects us from the earth. if we keep on polluting, wasting valuable electricity then there will be a hole in the ozone layer which will cause the sun rays to melt more ice caps/glaciers which will cause higher ocean level thus flooding citys.
if we dont save electricity we wont have anymore to spare in the future there for so many businesses, companys will shut down.
we need to be more alert on this many people dont know that this can cause a massive amount of damage on the earth and its people this is our only planet we have to live like it is. most people live like if the world ends we can go to space into our other planet. but its not the case.
think everyday when you drive your car, instead take a bus less money your spending, less polltion your giving.

UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 9th, 2007 at 12:25am
I just found out Leo DiCaprio is doing a documentary on Global Warming. He's turning into Al Gore Sly He's too hot to be Al Gore Crying or Very sad

//disregard my spam//
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
September 11th, 2007 at 02:20pm
What can be done to prevent it?

What risks do we face in the future for ignoring it?
Every landmass will turn into a real life Atlantis

Is it a serious issue?
Of course it is. duh.

Why do you think some people ignore the problem of Global Warming?
Because if people recognize it, the moral obligation would be inescapable.

NotOkay22:
I just found out Leo DiCaprio is doing a documentary on Global Warming. He's turning into Al Gore He's too hot to be Al Gore

So? This is called a discussion board for a reason. No offense but we should talk about how Global Warming is affecting our planet seriously not about how hot DiCaprio is. At least if DiCaprio is turning into an Al Gore, it is for good reason.

Sorry, but this is a topic i feel strongly about.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
September 13th, 2007 at 05:06pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:

This is the best answer I've heard in a long time.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 13th, 2007 at 07:59pm

To be Honest .. i dont believe that just a few countries in the world are gunne make a hell of a lot of difference .. i akso dont think its as bad of a problem as they make out

ever_after
Killjoy
ever_after
September 19th, 2007 at 02:43pm
Okay. Global warming is something I feel VERY strongly about. I believe it is a natural process but humans are speeding it up too much. Sources say that by 2050, the arctic will have an ice-free summer. That definately is not supposed to be happening if the entire global warming cycle was natural.

As for greenhouse gasses, yes they are there naturally, however, the Co2 emmissions from factories and cars etc. made BY HUMANS are greater than all that of Co2 produced naturally. And Co2 isn't the only greenhouse gas humans are producing, there's also gasses like methane which come from cows which humans farm. So more greenhouse gas there is, the hotter earth gets.

More and more of the sun's heat is getting trapped in between the greenhouse gas layer (which is getting thicker due to pollution) and the earth's surface so the earth is hotting up. And due to that heat, the polar ice caps are also melting. What's more important, is that the ice normally reflects 95% of the sun's rays and since it's dissapearing, the sun's rays are just getting more and more trapped. This means that there's just going to be one vicious cycle.

Greenhouse gas, Heat from the sun, Less ice, More heat from the sun, No ice, More heat from the sun.

And the proof of global warming is everywhere. Many species in central America are dying out (you may not have heard of them) and there are more and more freak weather patterns (remember hurricane Katrina?). So global warming is HERE! And mostly caused by humans. I'd like to think, as someone else said before, most people would rather believe global warming is not real or not caused by humans because it takes the responsibility of THEMSELVES.

I'm so sorry for dumping this essay here on the DB but i really needed to get it out Neutral
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 20th, 2007 at 12:23am
let me make this simple
Pollution: Harmful airs that causes contamination of soil,water,and the atmosphere
Atmosphere:the gaseous envelope surrounding the earth; the air.

there you have it the defination of pollution now tell me. So many people of around the world drive cars. What do many cars have to fuel them? Gas. When you run a car with gas what does it let out? polluted air (contaminated air caused by heated fuel).
If so many people around the world drive cars made that power by gas and lets out so many pollutants. What does that do to the atmosphere?
it causes the atmoshpere to break apart.If the atmosphere is protecting the earth for harmful sunrays and is breaking open that causes many many many icecaps to melt.
Ice caps are not just big peices of ice but there 500 feet below the ocean surface. And when these icecaps melt cause of the sun rays then the water levels will increase so imagine 100s of 500ft icecaps melting in the ocean.In this case yes it will do much harm to so many countries.(flood)
then there are still the harmful sunrays if the pollution keeps up the ozone layer will break, and the ozone layer protects us from the sun.
think about the effects on that
then there is the water so many people alway pollute the water litter etc. If that keeps up the sea animals will be dead or poisonus cause by the litter.
plus the sea life we eat now will not be edible in the next 30 years
so if you think about yes global warming will cause the world to change

UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 20th, 2007 at 12:42am
the.reaper.wore.pink:
What can be done to prevent it?

What risks do we face in the future for ignoring it?
Every landmass will turn into a real life Atlantis

Is it a serious issue?
Of course it is. duh.

NotOkay22:
I just found out Leo DiCaprio is doing a documentary on Global Warming. He's turning into Al Gore He's too hot to be Al Gore

So? This is called a discussion board for a reason. No offense but we should talk about how Global Warming is affecting our planet seriously not about how hot DiCaprio is. At least if DiCaprio is turning into an Al Gore, it is for good reason.

Sorry, but this is a topic i feel strongly about.

Sorry, just hyper I guess.

I dont think that Global Warming as is hyped up as it should be right now. I mean, its a big deal, but I dont think its as close as some people say. I dont think its gonna hit us, it might not even hot our children. Global Warming is terrible, but if it has already started then we really cant stop it, we can only make it take longer for it to take its wrath out on Earth.

And the Leo documentary does have to do with the conversation being as its a documentary on Global Warming and how to save our planet from burning up.
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
September 20th, 2007 at 02:09am
I think it's an issue that a lot of people concentrate on but they never bother to do anything about it. They say we need to cut down on using gas, they say we should recycle and stuff. While they're riding around in their big ass H3's and throwin shit where ever they feel like it.
ever_after
Killjoy
ever_after
September 20th, 2007 at 10:32am
^True, unfortuately
famous_last_words
Motor Baby
famous_last_words
June 16th, 2008 at 05:35pm
Since im a huge tree hugger and dont wanna die im gonna post this. i posted it a few weeks back on another forum and i just cant be arsed re-typeing it

"its an issue that will affect everyone living on this planet.
we've just seen two major natural disasters in just over a week.
and more massive cracks have started to appear in arctic ice. at the moment there is more carbon in the atmosphere then there has ever been in the last 650,000,000 years.
theres achully a fear over the amount of fresh water thats being dumped into the ocean shutting of the north Atlantic current and pushing us into an ice age. aka 'as seen on the day after tomorrow'.

anyways again.
here are some links as well as pictures in relation on climate change and global warming.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/evidence/
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/climate-change/take_action/7steps/

this is the larsen b ice shelf that collpased in 2002 and is also seen in day after tomorrow.

this image shows the amount of melting of the north pole in 2005.

the climate has always risen up and down thats how ice ages were caused in the past
but the amount of cardon dioxide that were putting into the atmophear is starting to have a huge impact on the world.
scientist measure the ammount of carbon in the atmosphere by counting the ammont of ice bubbles in certain ice cores. and theve seen that the amont of cardon has never been over 300 per parts to a million.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/warming/art/graph4.gif

that graph shows just what im saying. the parts where it goes up every few thousend years show the natural ice ages.
but then when we get to the present. theres a huge rise in the amount.

and heres a nifty little video showing the melting of a glaicer in argentina.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E-3YPBfO2Ys "

the truth is that we ARE facing a period of mass extionsion. one that the earth has already seen. unless we get off our arses and do something.

since i made that post on the other forum ive done more reaserch to find that according to nasa we could be facing a new ice age within 20 years.
as well as that i found out that the ammount of methan being spat into the atmosphear could pertentailly explode, now that has already happened.

anyone with any questions ill be happy to anwser ^_^
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 17th, 2008 at 06:17am

I personally think that people won't make a change until it is too late.

Some people just can't be bothered to do something, because they think everyone else is doing it for them.
And many people are just in denial. They say it is all natural.
What we are seeing is not natural, and Humans are going to be the cause of millions of animal deaths if we get together and do something.

But being realistic is very hard. Many people assume it is not going to affect them.