Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR and Magazines

AuthorMessage
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 15th, 2006 at 06:22pm
There were so many different topics about MCR being on the covers of magazines and being in them , so I figured this would be a good thread.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
October 18th, 2006 at 04:59pm
I agree with XxThePatientxX, so I'll make this a sticky.

Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
This article is to be printed in tomorrow's Sunday Mail (au)

My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way takes his band extremely seriously, and with good reason. They saved his life twice.
Way is sitting in a Lost Angeles hotel room having just returned from the desert outside the city where he and his bandmates – lead guitarist Ray Toro, rhythm guitarist Frank Iero, bassist Mikey Way and drummer Bob Bryar – were making the video for Welcome to the Black Parade, the first single from the band's new album The Black Parade.
He is sporting a cane and a limp, courtesy of torn ligaments in his leg sustained while filming the video.
His once long, black hair is now cropped and bleached and, combined with his sharp threads, the effect is quite startling, making him look all the way a rock star and object of frenzied affection of millions of teenagers throughout the world.
But it wasn't always that way.
Way says he was exactly the teen you might expect from listening to the angst-filled, rage-fuelled music that has characterised MCR's first two albums, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love (2002) and the two-million-selling follow-up, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge (2004).
"I was really quiet, I was very alone," he says.
"I didn't become popular until senior year when punk rock started to become popular."
The September 11 terror attacks galvanised Way and his bandmates into forming the group, with the hope of creating something that would not only be therapy for them but would have a more tangible effect as art.
"It saved my life because it was started out of that depression when I didn't have a purpose. I'm the kind of person that if I don't have a purpose, I'm dead," he says.
"I didn't feel like I had any control over my life and this gave me control back."
As the band's star rose, so did Way's depression and he took refuge in drugs and alcohol. Again, the band was his salvation when he beat his demons in mid-2004.
Therein lies the band's appeal, particularly to the teen market, says Way. Far from revelling in and even exploiting teenage misery, as the band's detractors have charged, Way says the band gives a voice to those who feel they have none and speaks directly to their self-doubt and alienation. In short, the band understands them because they are them.
"There is something so honest about youth and I think that a band that is honest and sincere connects with that," Way says.
MCR has made a giant leap for its third effort, a concept album that takes its cues from Queen's A Night at the Opera, Pink Floyd's The Wall and the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The central figure is the Patient, who is dying young of cancer.
Way describes the album as an examination of mortality, with the premise that when you die, death comes for you in whatever form you like. In the Patient's case, inspired by a childhood memory of going to a parade with his father, death comes as a Black Parade, which is also the band's alter ego.
MCR – with the guidance of producer Rob Cavallo, best known for his work with Green Day – have broken new territory sonically and thematically, with the band now poised to make the same leap forward as the pop-punk trio did with their own rock opera, American Idiot. Given the orchestral flourishes and theatricality abundant on The Black Parade, and a desire to find someone to push them further musically, Cavallo was at the top of the band's list of producers.
"His fingerprints are all over the record because he encouraged us to do whatever we wanted and he gave us all the toys," Way says. "A really great example of that is Welcome To the Black Parade, which has 167 tracks.
"Another is Momma, where I was recording vocals and I said you know, what this needs is Liza Minnelli. And he said all right, and he got on the phone and got Liza Minnelli. The sky was the limit with every track."
So came about one of the most unlikely musical pairings since Shirley Bassey met the Propellerheads, but Way says that working with the Broadway veteran was a delight and an honour.
MCR are preparing to hit the road for a world tour that will take the band to Asia and South America for the first time, and will include an appearance at the Big Day Out in January.
link to this article: http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/story/0,23739,20574441-5003421,00.html

Doctor Blind.:
Whoop! I heard from my brother that MCR are going to be featured in the next issue of Guitar World! Took a peek at their site and saw it was true for myself as well. http://www.guitarworld.com. Kinda funny how it comes out on the American release date of the album too. :]

As for me, I shall definitely be reading the interviews, even though I don't play guitar. Simply because my brother does and he really wants to get this issue. Shifty

head1stforhalos:
you'll see Mr. Hodgson, you'll see...

it's a link, btw.

It's also kinda funny that this is the only bad review on the album so far...

JSharples:
Hey guys,

This my first ever post but I thought you might be into this. Basically I interviewed My Chemical Romance for Big Cheese Magazine (http://www.bigcheesemagazine.com) when they played Hammersmith and it's made the cover this month. Apparently it's the only big thing they're doing this month apart from the Kerrang thing. Just thought you might be interested is all and I've got to say, I'm pretty proud of it. Not sure how I link things on here, but you can check out the cover at www.myspace.com/bigcheesemagazine and order it online at www.bigcheesemagazine.com - it hits the shops proper this weekend. I hope you guys don't think this is a blatant sales thing - I love this band to bits and will be posting a lot more stuff on this amazing site - got a bunch of live photos and some other stuff that I'll be more than happy to post if anyone wants to see them and can tell me how? Hope that's cool?

Cheers,

Jim
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 18th, 2006 at 05:27pm
thank you!
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 18th, 2006 at 06:25pm
Charliebitmyfinger.
Salute You in Your Grave
Charliebitmyfinger.
October 18th, 2006 at 09:44pm
Exellent!!! you rock! Very Happy
noxx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
noxx
October 19th, 2006 at 07:42pm
Does anyone know if they will be in the cover of AP? I live in Canada and they dont sell KERRRRRRRRRRRANG here, I'm not so sure about big cheese, im guessing it's a big fat no as well
Gerard Way.
In the Cannibal Glow
Gerard Way.
October 20th, 2006 at 02:24am
i love you XxThe PatientxX for making this topic~ pure genius.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
October 20th, 2006 at 07:00am
From The Sun...

By JACQUI SWIFT
October 20, 2006

WELCOME To The Black Parade is an album about death and the afterlife.

Topics which My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way will have us believe they deal with in an optimistic way.

The third studio album from the chart-topping New Jersey band is a concept album, which follows a sick man — The Patient — as he dies of cancer, and in his passing examines what he has left behind.

But it’s a record they believe gives the listener hope.

As I joined Gerard in a dimly lit, smoke-filled hotel room in West London, he tells me: “We’ve been tagged as doom and gloom or a goth band but we’re none of those. We’re actually a very hopeful and celebratory band and very much about empowerment.

“People fear death but on this record we’ve looked at the fantasy of death and its reality.

“When death comes for you — we believe it comes in the form of your strongest memory and for The Patient, this was a marching band — The Black Parade.

“Death is something we as a band faced head on. When mine and Mikey’s grandmother died, we began to look at death and the after-effects.

“She had been very instrumental in this band as not only was she responsible for my singing career, she was our biggest supporter.” It’s clear that Gerard is a man who takes his art very seriously. He famously cut off his long black locks, bleaching his hair a yellow-tinted blond, to “get into character” as The Patient, attempting to look like a cancer-stricken man who had undergone chemotherapy.

Dressed in military uniform and smoking cigarette after cigarette, Gerard says making the record was a very dark time for the band and they actually became another one — their alter-ego The Black Parade, answering and playing gigs under this guise.

They even recorded tracks in a haunted studio at Los Angeles’ famous Paramour Estate where Gerard was attacked one night by what he believes was a spirit.

He says: “I suffered from anxiety and I was only getting three hours sleep a night. One night I woke up and felt like I was being strangled.

“It was something that inhabited the place. I had been writing notes every night and that night I wrote, ‘We are all just a Black Parade’. I thought it would make a great album title.

“However I never expected so much attention, headlines even, because of the change in the way I looked,” he claims. “But it was a strong form of resignation against pre-conceived notions of how we look and how we are. We became a different band.

“We’ve always looked according to our music. And we’ve always based what we wear on living the music.

“This is no different. I was resigning from that look saying this isn’t going to be a fashion show anymore — hence the uniforms and change in hair.” An intense, dark and theatrical record about mortality, The Black Parade marks a new sound for the emo rockers compared to their previous breakthrough album, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge.

Gerard says: “This album is a rock opera. We don’t really see ourselves as emo though we are proud to have opened doors to bands who are different.

“When we first started we couldn’t get booked on to shows as we were the opposite of everything that was emo — we’ve never really seen ourselves as that type of band.

“Now we are proud to be bringing a sense of theatre to rock as we like to see bands do that. Bands like Panic! At The Disco make us happy. We want to see people push the genre.”

On the record, My Chemical Romance experiment with a new direction, including piano and strings.

Controversial track Cancer is a stripped down, piano and vocal driven number which includes string arrangements.

“It’s an epic and poetic track,” says Gerard, “which we also think is the darkest most brutal song we’ve written about a horrendous disease which The Patient has suffered.”

Another track, Mama, sees legendary singer and performer Liza Minnelli lend her vocals.

Gerard reveals: “We are big fans of Liza and my grandmother loved her. She was her favourite singer so it was a nod to her.

“We didn’t meet up to record the song but if the opportunity arises to perform it together then we will jump at it.”

Always being a group of outsiders for outsiders, doesn’t Gerard worry about how mainstream success might change them — and their fans?

He answers: “We’re very honest about who we are. On stage we’re something very extraordinary and offstage we’re very ordinary.

“With this success, the worry is that kids are coming to see you just because you’re No1. But we stay true to who we are and so it’s never safe. We don’t attract the wrong people. It’s just that we’re all still outsiders just growing together.

“It’s such an important record for all ages. Whether it’s a kid’s first life-changing record or just a record someone needs to have. It’s exciting and reminds you of something you don’t hear any more.”

My Chemical Romance cite many British groups as influences, in particular The Smiths, Oasis and Iron Maiden. But for The Black Parade, Gerard says there is one specific British album he compares this to.

He reveals: “Pink Floyd’s The Wall. People have suggested Queen — and we are massive fans. But the concept idea, everything about it, nods to The Wall.”

The Black Parade is set to be this year’s American Idiot by Green Day. And both albums were made by American producer Rob Cavallo.

“We never held back and anything goes on this record and Rob Cavallo encouraged that,” says Gerard. “Rob was very vocal in wanting to work with us and we had a mutual respect for each other.

“We are huge fans of American Idiot but also his other work, especially Jawbreaker and Fleetwood Mac.

“He’s able to do any type of band and that’s what we liked about him. We have evolved and he can show our evolution on this record.”

Spookily, while making an album about death, Gerard and drummer Bob Bryar were both injured while filming the video to their next single. Famous Last Words.

Gerard burnt his leg and tore ligaments in his ankle when guitarist Frank Iero jumped on his back. Bob got a staph infection that was so serious, he was hospitalised, pumped with antibiotics and told he had been just days away from death himself.

Gerard recalls: “We didn’t realise just how serious it was at first and Bob even tried to check out of hospital as he wanted to play the shows we were forced to cancel.

“It was a scary moment as we were so engrossed in the notion of death that when Bob nearly died, it was like it was a dream, well, a nightmare. We’re all just happy he pulled through.”
Talk to Frank.
Joining The Black Parade
Talk to Frank.
October 20th, 2006 at 12:33pm
mcr will be in NME mag on this monday i think so i will try n scan it in =]
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 20th, 2006 at 05:28pm
My Chem is going to be in the November issue of AP

http://myspace-818.vo.llnwd.net/01313/81/87/1313737818_l.jpg
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
October 20th, 2006 at 08:22pm
BAHH Im sorry I didn't see this.

My Chemical Romance was in Entertainment Weekly. Their new album got an A+ and they are on the EW pick list. They got an amazing review Smile
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
October 20th, 2006 at 08:50pm
Jenni has a life:
BAHH Im sorry I didn't see this.

My Chemical Romance was in Entertainment Weekly. Their new album got an A+ and they are on the EW pick list. They got an amazing review Smile

there was also this little thing on armaggedon that said the wttbp video was a sign of the end of the world O.O
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
October 20th, 2006 at 09:10pm
No, they just said that the videos view of Armageddon was cool.
my chemical romance.
Banned
my chemical romance.
October 21st, 2006 at 08:49am
I got the shivers seeing the Guitar World cover. I don't play guitar, but woot. Dragonforce and My Chemical Romance. Kick ass.[/spam]
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
October 21st, 2006 at 01:43pm
mineandyours:
They actually get an A- but anyways I have the scan

Scan.

From Entertainment Weekly.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
October 21st, 2006 at 01:46pm
head1stforhalos:
My Chem is going to be in the November issue of AP

http://myspace-818.vo.llnwd.net/01313/81/87/1313737818_l.jpg
when jess was young.:
I just recived my November AP in the mail today. There was an artical on MCR and The Black Parade.
It was rated a 5-Buy Now

Read any interview with My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way, and he'll usually be going off on how rock bands should be larger than life, just like his favorite comic-book heros. Way's always been obsessed with making grand, sweeping, gestures (graphic-novel disc artwork, female impowering stage banter, choregraphy at "punk" shows; hell, his bands publishing company is called, Blow The Doors Off Jersey Shore Music), even in the days when his band were little more than friends with Thursday. This is why MCR are loved by lots of girls and reviled by scrawny young men in homemade Propagandhi tees.
Heros in morder rock 2006 are hard to find. Thats why MCR looked backward for The Black Parade, embracing rock history and giving it fresh love bites on its flabby skin. The cavalcade of Parade floats salute album-oriented classic-rock (the bouncy, Cheap Trick-inspired "Dead" ) , jaunty mid-70s British glam, the poodle-metal of the mid-'80s and its common signifier, the power ballad ("I Dont Love You" ). Rock history referance points abound, from the opening salvo ("The End" ) comming off like the nephew of Pink Floyds "In The Flesh?" to the Foghat-live-at-Columbine boogie-rock of "Teenagers."
Vocally, Way conjures his Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge persona, while trying on vocal chords belonging to everyone from Freddie Murcury to Jack White ("House Of Wolves" ). Whats really engaging is that The Black Parade is a concept album about death (phsyical, emotional, psychological; take your pick), yet even the most weepy sentiments are delivered with a swagger ("Cancer" or the Eastern European-flecked "Mama" ), a blistering guitar lead (Ray Toros the rocker, Frank Ieros the punker) or a joyful, bouncy candence (supplied my Mikey Way and Bob Bryar). One gets the feeling that My Chem are men out of time, given the ease they're rejuvenated these rock idoms. (Aparently, Gang Of Four, Radiohead, and Talk Talk never did rock the Jersey Shore much.)
The Black Parade is MCRs whole raison d'etre rolled up into one mega-decibel calling card, replete with heros, villians, terror, sadness, and the unblinking conviction to put it all out there for celebration and ridicule. As one Way-worshiped rock icon once posited 30-something years ago, "Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?" Here's to MCR making a career out of blurring that line.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
October 21st, 2006 at 01:48pm
head1stforhalos:
I hope I put this in the right place...

In the November Issue of Blender magazine, they named 'The Black Parade' as the Album of the Year, with 4 1/2 stars. I don't have scans, though sorry. But here's the interview they did with Frank:

Where the magic happened:
"This big-ass haunted mansion in LA called the Paramour. It belonged to the guy who was in The Creature from the Black Lagoon. His wife died in a car accident on Mulholland Drive and was buried on the propety. But I was more afraid of the rabid racoon living in my wall."

On a scale of 1 to 10, The Black Parade's difficulty:
"A 45. We cut ourselves open, took out our insides and saw the demons came out."

Album we unbashedly ripped off:
"There were three: 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd, Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' and 'Sgt. Pepper' by The Beatles. You know, little records that nobody really listens to."

The haters will say:
"'Who do they think they are?' But at least we fucking tried -- what have you done?"

All star guests:
"She's more than an all-star: Her name is Liza Minnelli, and she's one of the ultimate performers of all time. We heard she bought our last record and was dancing around to 'Helana' in her apartment. Our parents were really psyched."

The money spent recording this album could buy:
"Oh man -- Rhode Island? What's Rhode Island going for these days?"
Light Up; Flurry!
Salute You in Your Grave
Light Up; Flurry!
October 21st, 2006 at 10:54pm
The unusual suspect.:

Album we unbashedly ripped off:
"There were three: 'The Wall' by Pink Floyd, Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' and 'Sgt. Pepper' by The Beatles. You know, little records that nobody really listens to."

Ah!
Sgt. Pepper is one of my FAVORITE albums EVER,
I even have a Sgt.Pepper hoodie! *parades around in it*

How exciting!
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
October 22nd, 2006 at 03:27pm
Some "old" articles, ...

theregoesmyvalentine:
okay so they did two reviews one was nice and one was just mean so here are the reviews

nasty:
My Chemical Romance - The Nasty Review - 'Welcome to the Black Parade'

Gerard Way, you poor deluded soul. First you think you're not emo (sorry, what genre does your 'mini rock opera about death' fall into then?). Then, in this hideous offering, you claim you were once told by your dad that your destiny was to "be the saviour of the poor, the broken and the damned."

Why not start working at Oxfam then and save our ears from this monstrosity? I somehow think your school career's adviser should've put a dampner on that one. Worse than the pomp-faux gothery of 'Helena', '...Black Parade' stinks of messy pretentiousness, a mouldy slice of Blink 182 and the dust festering on Freddie Mercury's microphone. With Christmas jingle bells underneath.

OK, maybe it's not emo, but that's still no justification that it's any cop.

nice:
My Chemical Romance - The Nice Review - 'Welcome To The Black Parade'

A haunting piano intro, a marching Les Miserables (the musical, not some grumpy fella in your street) drum beat and Queen-style guitar twiddles. And that's just the intro! This is MCR, right?

Yup, we checked. Don't worry, they're not about to morph into Freddie Mercury's backing singers. Before the new look/sound/concept completely eclipses the old, they revert back to their butt-quaking best for the chorus and heavy guitar punked-up blammery, and we're all back in our comfort zone. Still, what a way to announce a comeback, eh? It screams "we're back, and filled with different yet familiar goodness – praise us!"

Oh, well, seeing as you asked so...BIGLY...This song's great, we love it – turn it up and worship its glory, woo!

xxxBlackxxxMariahxxx:
in my email, i got this review of the show in Philly the other day. for the most part it was a positive review. plus, it said Gerard sang a new song, "Damn" and who he wrote "Desert Song" for. here it is...

A positive reaction at the Troc for My Chemical Romance
By A.D. Amorosi
For The Inquirer

If you're a pretty boy band with a cult following on the cusp of sensational stardom, nothing ensures the screams of your rabid fans better than cheap tickets, proximity and new songs.

Throw a live MTV2 taping into the mix, and you had Wednesday's sold-out show at the Trocadero with My Chemical Romance - a $2 concert with Jersey's emo glam faves to be televised Sept. 16.

What did you get for your two bucks?

Chunky, silvery-tongued crooner Gerard Way swished, blew kisses, and lifted more jazz hands than the cast of Chicago as he snorted through the rapid-fire "Give 'Em Hell, Kid" and the choppy, chipper new "Damn."

You couldn't buy a better sneering vocal than the one that Way - wearing his hair platinum-blond and close-cropped, and poured into what looked like Capt. Jack Sparrow's dinner jacket - used while coursing through the cattiness of "Damn" or the hopeless sentiments of "Thank You for the Venom."

Not for two dollars.

There were Way's lyrics ruminating passionately about the psychic damage left to ponder after a bad breakup, as on "I'm Not OK." And there were mini-epics that dealt with Way's family members - wordy songs such as the four-on-the-floor stomper "Helena," dedicated to his grandmother, and a grand and elegant "Desert Song" for Way's pop.

With its clarion vocals rising above a slow piano's roll, "Desert" turned into a raver that would have rhapsodized Bohemian - that is, if Queen hadn't already done it for them.

Mostly, Way and his Romance did drama right.

The songs weren't always memorable. Take the sloppy, slow-rocking "I Don't Love You." Please.

But whether it was the jackhammering goth noise of "Our Lady of Sorrows" or the trashy sashaying punk of "You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison," My Chemical Romance was certainly ready for its close-up.

Guran of The Month:
Punk rock bands come and go. Good or not, popular and un-popular, they'll always have a place in this new modern world. I've been a fan of many bands such as Good Charlotte, Mest and Simple Plan. But like with most people my music taste changes as I change. But there's always one band which keeps on owning my heart.

The longest I ever liked a band used to be a month. Until I heard about this band called My Chemical Romance. They sure made that one month look like a pea looks to a cow. I've been listening to them for the past, one or two years and they always have the same effect on me, and always the same inspiration.

No matter how I feel, where I am or what music I'm into, whenever I hear My Chem, I get pumped, they're like adrenaline rush. When I think I don't like them anymore, I hear a song and get that adrenaline rush. And even when I'm down WAY low they managed to get me up on my feet again and smiling. I don't know what it is about this band, but there's something.

And the fact that they're that band that every teenager can relate to, helps, but even if that wasn't there, they'd always have that influence on kids. They're the rock stars every rock star should be like. Sure they have had their problems at certain times, but they always seem to turn around those things, and become that band, the band which gets kids through things, the band which keeps a lot of kids in this world.

This is a bit cliché maybe. I don't know how, but I got this feeling people think that. But maybe I'm wrong. If anyone would even speak of banning this band, kids, fans everywhere will instantly will protest, until they drop dead protesting. This band is, many times, everything, to the fans. And the fans are well aware of that. But they don't care. Because this band helps them, supports them and is there for them when their friends are being bitches, parents aren't at home or life crumbling into pieces. My Chem always seems to be there.

My Chem also supports the idea of 'being yourself,' which most bands seem to forget as they fall into the commercial and mainstream scene. They strand against phony bands which will make girls show their boobs just for backstage admissions. They strand against being phony and lying, being fake. They're role models in the music world. No matter what their past has been, they always seem to stay true to themselves, and to their fans. And they put a lot of effort into their music, videos and well, just everything.

I'll stand with My Chem until the day that I die. You might love their music or hate it. But that won't matter to me. Because I love them, and I'm proud of that. My Chem fans are proud, and they have a reason to be. No matter who I become, I will always love My Chem, they'll always have a place in my heart.

''Your going to come across a lot of shitty bands, and a lot of shitty people. And if anyone of those people call you names because of what you look like, or because they don't accept you for who you are. I want you to look right at that motherfucker, stick up your middle finger, and scream FUCK YOU!''- Gerard Way

''There's absolutely a movement of a return to rock. Sometimes the good guys win. Kids are sick of the (expletive) pop and sick of being lied to. Everyone wants something real, something that was created to invoke a positive feeling.''-Mikey Way

''I can't imagine any other bands having better kids than ours, and if they do at least I know our kids can beat up their kids.''- Frank Iero

The band consists of five young men. Gerard Way (vocals), Ray Toro (lead guitar, backing vocals), Frank Iero (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Mikey Way (bass) and Bob Bryar (drummer). All of them are from the state of New Jersey, except for Bryar who is from Illinois.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I found this at LJ and I got permission to post it here.
I totally agree with this Smile
if it's in the wrong place. sorry just move it elsewhere Very Happy
noxx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
noxx
October 22nd, 2006 at 08:09pm
MCR, has impressed the nation once agian I think. Being on almost every rock magazine with they're marching parade uniform they are finally being reconized for having amazing music not "emo/goth rock stars".