Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR and Magazines

AuthorMessage
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 13th, 2009 at 04:17pm
LetterSeven:
There's a small article about Safe and Sound in Kerrang, I'll post it later.

That's what I said a couple of posts up ^ do you have a scan already? I was going to look for one but if you already have it...
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 14th, 2009 at 03:52pm
No, I don't have a scan, I just post the writing. xD
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 16th, 2009 at 10:02am
Does anyone have the leathermouth review from rolling stone? We canceled our subscription after years of no cover stories on bands like MCR, but several on the Jonas Bros.
Queen Obscene
Always Born a Crime
Queen Obscene
May 16th, 2009 at 05:04pm
Where I live I can't buy magazines as Rolling Stone and NME, so (as some of you use to) would like to post a scan of it, I'd... love you! Smile
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
May 17th, 2009 at 12:57am
jules:
Does anyone have the leathermouth review from rolling stone? We canceled our subscription after years of no cover stories on bands like MCR, but several on the Jonas Bros.

Leathermouth
XO Epitah/Shock

Vicious debut from MCR guitarist's sideline

Leathermouth is the side project of MCR guitarists Frank Iero, but pity the poor MCR fan who approaches this album expacting another batch of that band's emo-lite. "Leathermouth is how I vent about all the shit I see going on in the world that makes me ill", says Iero in the press release for the album. So its apt that the opener, "Fifth Period Massacre" sounds like a man vomiting razor blades over an antisocial buzzsaw dirge. It's as abrasive as it is confronting, and sets the tone for the nine songs that follow, each an excersise in raw, stripped down riffing and belched vocals that call to mind a messy amalgam of sminal hardcore extremists Kiss It Goodbye jamming with Black Flag. Sadly XO isn't quite equal to the sum of those parts, although fiery "Murder Was The Case They Gave Me" suggest such lofty heights may not be out of reach for the unaccompanied Iero.

Key tracks:
Murder was the case they gave me
Sunsets are for muggings

Very Happy
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 17th, 2009 at 09:12pm
Incognito.:
pity the poor MCR fan who approaches this album expacting another batch of that band's emo-lite.
"That band's emo-lite." Sigh... Disgust

Also, in what way is Frank unaccompanied? There's a band playing with him!
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
May 18th, 2009 at 10:18am
Thank you Incog--

and now for a strongly worded email to a magazine that centers its focus on irrelevant, soft pop garbage.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 20th, 2009 at 11:46am
Two small MCR mentions in today's Kerrang, and I'll try and get a scan of the Safe And Sound article up soon.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 21st, 2009 at 03:02pm
Mention of MCR by a dude from Taking Back Sunsay, I'll post later.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 24th, 2009 at 05:22pm
Sorry - I've been EXTREMELY busy - but I promise I'll have the MCR mentions in this week's Kerrang up by tomorrow night, okay? Please just bear with me Smile
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 26th, 2009 at 05:51am
As promised (although slightly late), here are the two MCR-related things in this week's Kerrang! Very Happy

The first is a letter written to Kerrang in response to the Marilyn Manson article that LetterSeven posted earlier.

Letter that was written in to Kerrang!:

Tainted Love

Hi K! Just wanna say I'm really pissed off. I have loved four things for eight years; My Chemical Romance, Tangy Cheese Doritos, Kerrang! and Marilyn Manson. I gotta say, one thing is off that list and it ain't the Doritos. Marilyn Manson has no right to say shit like that about MCR (K!1260). I'm disgusted to say I listen to someone who thinks that the most REAL band in the world of music is fake, especially when more than one of his songs are covers. And his comment "Here's a razor blade. Call me when you're done" is just pathetic and childish. It just makes him sound like an even bigger fucker. If he has a problem with cutters then he is an arse cos many of his fans cut, and they do it as they need help - not shit from their icons! So if he reads this and he has anything to say then he can call me when he grows a pair - if he doesn't tear them off first.

The second is a comment from Adam Lazzara (of Taking Back Sunday).

Adam Lazzara, Taking Back Sunday:

"Kerrang!: What's the closest you've ever been to death?
Adam: I fell offstage, hit my head on the barricade and dislocated my hip. But that's still pretty far away from dying, isn't it? Hmmm, there must be something else... Ah, okay, there was another time when we were taking a tiny plane to a radio show. My Chemical Romance had taken the same flight two hours earlier and the weather was so bad they'd had to divert. I got a call from Mikey [Way, MCR bassist] and he was like, 'Dude, don't get on the plane! Don't get on the plane!' It was the scariest ride of my life. The turbulence was so bad that I was off my seat, banging my head on the overhead lockers. That's probably a better story."
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 26th, 2009 at 01:55pm
Thanks for putting it up, I couldn't be bothered. I promise I'll post the Safe And Sound article.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 27th, 2009 at 09:03am
Two small mentions on MCR in todays Kerrang!, and the safe and sound art' I promised.

GERARD GOES J-ROCK!
My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way has taken time out of recording the follow-up to 2006's TBP to appear in the video of J-Rock legend Kyosuke Himuro's new single, safe And sound. The track was written in English and features former Nine inch Nails drummer Josh freese. the pair collaborated on the track for the upcoming directors cut Blu-Ray release animated movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete.

There is more, but its not very intresting.

Today kerrang!

This is a letter with a drawn picture of Gee. Its a pretty good picture, but i can't scan, so...
Hi Kerrang! i though you might like to see a copy of a drawing my daughter did for Art Collage Hert name is Natasha. She is a big fan of My Chemical Romance and kerrang!, and it would make her day to see her picture printed. Thank you!

More intresting, a thing from Frank!!!

My Favorite New Album
Frank Iero, Leathermouth/My Chemical Romance
The Bronx
The Bronx III

"I've been a fan of The Bronx for a whi and their new album made me go back and listen to their other albums again. there's not a bad track on it and I appreciate the transition betwwen their other albums better now, too. I'd love to tour with them.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 27th, 2009 at 09:36am
I can't get today's Kerrang until Saturday but knowing that's in it has made me excited for it Very Happy

I couldn't get a scan, exactly, of the Safe And Sound article but I did get a photo...

http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/MiDesfileNegro/?action=view&current=DSC00300.jpg
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
May 27th, 2009 at 02:00pm
Not exactly a magazine, but a comic book....

There's this graphic novel called 'Dead High Yearbook' and i was reading it... The artist drew the cover of Three Cheers in the background of one of the panels.... xD sorry... found that oddly hilarious/awesome.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
June 3rd, 2009 at 12:13pm
In todays Kerrang, there is a smallish piece on Bandit, and it mention MCR going into studio.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 5th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Frank makes a couple comments about the Souls in this week's AP
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
June 11th, 2009 at 10:48am
My AP comes monthly.

Interesting book:
Craig Schuftan’s second book “Hey! Nietzsche! Leave those kids alone!

By Steven H. Bagley reviews:

I fell in love with music and with poetry all over again. I craved some mashups that I’d never, ever see. To wit: taking the best of Keats and Billy Corgan, how about “Ode to Mellon Collie”? From Shelley and Gerard Way, “The Masque of Anarchy leads the Black Parade”?

>>>>
The book starts out with a confession: Schuftan likes My Chemical Romance. And I have to confess, similarly, that so do I, after reading “Hey! Nietzsche!” If only because reading the book gave me a much bigger appreciation for where the band’s music is coming from, historically and artistically. It’s easy to point at Gerard Way’s Black Parade makeup and derisively laugh, “emo kid,” but when Way calls emo “a pile of shit,” he starts to sound a bit more like Byron when he went to go fight in Greece.

Mechanically, Schuftan illustrates his point by juxtaposition and historical inference. It’s quite brilliant, really, in the sense that when you take a good long look at Bryon’s pallor, his disinterest in people, and his massive poetic talent, he really does look like Rivers Cuomo. Similarly, when you think about Gerard Way voicing a desire to save the world with rock and roll, it sounds a lot like Milton’s Satan.

And really? If it sounds like this praise is too high, or to elevate Weezer and MCR up to the heights of a pair of the greatest poets to ever commit pen to paper, the point is lost on you, dear reader. Byron, Schuftan’s Adam from which all this pale, black-wearing music descended, was a rock star. People read his poetry and the loved him Beatles-style. Calling cards arrived in buckets, and Bryon, like a rock star, took in the sex, booze and drugs en masse, with the perfect nonchalance.

Blast Magazine
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 11th, 2009 at 01:38pm
jules:
Blast Magazine's review of Craig Schuftan’s second book “Hey! Nietzsche! Leave those kids alone! by Steven H. Bagley: "It’s quite brilliant, really, in the sense that when you take a good long look at Bryon’s pallor, his disinterest in people, and his massive poetic talent, he really does look like Rivers Cuomo. Similarly, when you think about Gerard Way voicing a desire to save the world with rock and roll, it sounds a lot like Milton’s Satan."

I am going to have to pick up that book! The quote I highlighted rules, because you know that G would love to be somehow associated with Rivers Cuomo, if not Satan Ha Ha
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
June 12th, 2009 at 06:09am
I've just finished studying Shelley for English Lit, but comparing TBP with The Mask of Anarchy? :/

Anyway, there's a mention of MCR in this week's Kerrang - when I get time I'll put it up. Smile