Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR and Magazines

AuthorMessage
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 30th, 2006 at 03:37pm
shatterwall:
Bess:

That just proves you know NOTHING about the band. They are not out there to 'make money', they're out there because they love playing music, they have things to say and they want people to hear it. Please...don't say stuff like that when it's completely untrue.

I have a degree in Business Studies. MCR are a business. If they were only doing it for the music, their merch wouldn't be so expensive (they wouldn't even have any) and their music would be free. Yes, they enjoy doing what they do, but at the end of the day, they have to live and if the band wasn't making any money they wouldn't carry on with it.

Every single band's merch is about the same price as MCR's. Things cost money to make. They don't care about the money at all.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
November 30th, 2006 at 04:24pm
^ Got it in one, my friend.
Shatterwall
Motor Baby
Shatterwall
November 30th, 2006 at 04:27pm
Hahaha, Bob, Mikey, Ray, Gerard and Frank are all laughing at you now from there penthouse apartments.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
November 30th, 2006 at 04:30pm
shatterwall:
Hahaha, Bob, Mikey, Ray, Gerard and Frank are all laughing at you now from there penthouse apartments.

WRONG.
Gerard doesn't even have a home, which just proves how little you know about the band. XD
Shatterwall
Motor Baby
Shatterwall
November 30th, 2006 at 04:35pm
I know, he says he is homeless, I was just making a point. And even if he is homeless, he still has more money than most people on this board, and they're making it from fans like you. But its cool, cos if they didn't, they wouldn't be here.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
November 30th, 2006 at 04:39pm
Get back on topic now, please.
jerseyxxkid
Jazz Hands
jerseyxxkid
November 30th, 2006 at 06:28pm
The new Rolling Stone's magazine willl have Gerard in an interview. I'll post it when my scanner starts working.

[spam]Bob lives in a high-rise apartment[/spam]
WayFukdUp
Jazz Hands
WayFukdUp
November 30th, 2006 at 09:26pm
AH i can't wait to read this! Anyone have the article?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/Taylor_Disorder/deccover.jpg
omg stfu
Demolition Lover
omg stfu
November 30th, 2006 at 11:41pm
DEPPnMCR:
AH i can't wait to read this! Anyone have the article?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/Taylor_Disorder/deccover.jpg
Woah, Frank looks so badass.

And yes, article anyone?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 1st, 2006 at 08:18pm
Hear/Say: America's College Music Newspaper

P14 under "Check out These Hot Rock Releases!” My Chemical Romance: The Black Parade” The Black Parade is way more dramatic, way more theatrical, completely over the top, borderline psychotic," says Gerard Way. It is a celebration of love and death and darkness.
P16 Center page another picture of them and it says “Everyone Loves a Black Parade" My Chemical Romance Returns With An Ambitious Concept Album- By Jeff Niesel

P19
(In Bold): If you believed the rumors circulating on the Internet, you’d think My Chemical Romance's bleached-blonde singer Gerard Way is gay, lives in fear of Marilyn Manson (who's threatened to kick his ass for copying his look) and single-handedly got Guttermouth kicked off he 2004 Warped Tour. It's not likely any of this is true, but it's not easy to get Way to discuss it. According to his publicist he's "burned out on talking" and isn't doing much in the way of interviews. Perhaps that was just a way of brushing off this reporter, but whatever the case might be, the fact that Way is as central a figure as there’s been in rock 'n' roll in the last two decades. He might just be the Kurt Cobain of the new millennium, though we certainly hope he doesn't meet the same grisly end.
Ambitious in much the same way as recent albums by Thursday, The Mars Volta and Coheed and Cambria, My Chemical Romance's new offering, The Black Parade, is only getting to heighten the scrutiny of Way's personal life. The album's central character is a kid called "The Patient" who can't get past a strong childhood memory of a black parade. "If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see/you can find out firsthand what it's like to be me," Way sings in the opening number "The End." The song may or may not be a reflection on the personal life of the guy who proudly sand "I'm not okay" on the band's last effort, 2004's multi-platinum Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.
There are plenty of reasons why Way, who reportedly sees a therapist on a regular basis, is still "not okay." He grew up in a part of Jersey so dangerous, he wasn't allowed to go outside and play. That, in turn, allowed him to develop his imagination and foster an interest in the fantasy worlds of comic books. He originally set out to be an illustrator and wrote his first song, "Skylines and Turnstiles," when he witnessed the Twin Towers tumbling to ground from the New York office where he worked.
Along with bassist Mikey Way (his brother), drummer Matt Pelisser (since replaced by Bob Bryar), guitarist Ray Toro, guitarist Frank Iero, Way formed My Chemical Romance in 2001, naming the group after an Irvine Welsh novel (you know, the guy who wrote Trainspotting). The band issued "I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" in 2002 with the help f Thursday's Geoff Rickly, who produced the disc and gave the band instant cred in the burgeoning emo/screamo scene. Thanks to exposure via a Taste f Chaos tour as well as opening slot in Green Day's American Idiot trek, the band's popularity exploded.
Black Parade succeeds where other prong concept album fail in that it's not pretentious. Way isn’t afraid to write conventional love songs like "I Don't Love You" and "Cancer." And "House of Wolves" is sleazy rock 'n' roll that sounds like Motley Crue. Even the most theatrical songs have a whimsical quality. The tune "Mama," for example, starts out like it's a Broadway tune but then goes broke with a cameo courtesy of Liza Minnelli. Other tracks such mimic the operatic vocal style of Queen's Freddie Mercury and even feature Brain May-like guitar riffs.
Diverse and masterfully produced by Rob Caval (Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls, Chris Isaak), The Black Parade is an accessible rock opera that separated My Chemical Romance from its screamo and emo peers. And given the title track, with its horn and string arrangements, is as much a departure as anything on disc, it was a gutsy move to make it the first single.
Screamo for people who don't like screamo and emo for people who don't like emo, The Black Parade, which sold some 250,000 copies to land at the top of the charts in its first week of release, is bound to make Way and his somber bandmates superstars. Here's to hoping Way, who allegedly has a history with substance abuse, doesn't suffer the same fate as The Black Parade's "The Patient" and a litany of rock stars currently six feet under, and gets out of here alive. If The Black Parade is any indication, he's got a few more ambitious albums in him.*
Bottom right of the page it has an advertisement for The Black Parade featuring Welcome to the Black Parade and Famous Last Words.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
December 2nd, 2006 at 05:30am
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 2nd, 2006 at 06:46am
Our Avenged Jules:
This article was featured in a local paper from my city. It's just Bob (amazingly), and if you write MCR fan fiction, I suggest you read it. XDD

My Chemical Romance
Saviours of the Damned – by Scott McLennan

With talk of ghosts, pesky kids and freaky cartoons, My Chemical Romance’s year to date could almost be a warped Scooby Doo cartoon.
Although recording the new album ‘The Black Parade’ exhausted the New Jersey band, the results are equal parts Night Of The Living Dead and ‘A Night At The Opera’, a fearless and spectacular creation that trounces emo pigeon-holing by adding mariachi, vaudeville and glam elements.
Speaking from Los Angeles while planning the band’s costumes for a special My Chemical Romance Halloween performance, drummer Bob Bryar was rightly proud of ‘The Black Parade’.

“What we came out with was something that we are 100% proud of,” Bob began.
“It was something that this band has dreamed of doing for a long time. This is what this band is all about and this record completely explains this band at this time.”

While their fanbase is dominated by teens clued into the MySpace phenomenon, The Black Parade’s nods to the momentous rock acts such as Queen, indicate My Chemical Romance now have the potential to cross over to old music lovers.

“That’s something we wanted to do – create a record that was classic,” Bob agreed.
“Even just on a personal level, we wanted an album that wasn’t just a bunch of songs thrown together or singles-based. From what we have seen so far, all the true fans really get and are on the same page as us.”

Writing songs for the follow-up to the successful Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge album in a Los Angeles house call “The Paramour” didn’t come easily due to both creative stresses and meddling spirits.

“It was a hard time for us and we put a lot of pressure on ourselves,” Bob recounted.
“For a long time, we were locked in a house that was haunted. We were afraid to walk around and it brought out some scary things in people. In the end, we pulled through it all and to be able to play the songs that we wrote and recorded at that time is a victory for us.”

Did you see any apparitions yourself?
“It was very strange, since it was very hot outside but only 40 degrees (Fahrenheit) inside. We wore jackets all day long and bought every space heater in the Los Angeles area. Very weird things would happen – doors would slam in front of you and things would be found on the other side of the room. I personally never saw a ghost or anything, but I definitely felt it. The way we felt in that place brought out a lot of different things on the record, which I felt set the tone for some of the songs.”

Following the trials of recording the Welcome to the Black Parade, the band endured a catastrophic video shoot that landed Bob in hospital.
“We did the Black Parade video, and the did another performance video the next day,” Bob outlined.
“We gave it everything we had and Gerard [Way – vocals] ended up tearing his ankle really bad. I had fire behind me and was burned. I got a third degree burn on my leg that got infected, which then infected my blood and gave me a staph infection. I had an abscess on the side of my face that put pressure on my brain and it got out of hand. I was admitted to the hospital for a while, but it’s all cleared up now though I think. I got a sweet scar out of it though.”

My Chemical Romance have always been an impressively visual band, whether it be in the videos such as Helena, The Ghost of You and Welcome to the Black Parade or through their creative artwork. Frontman Gerard plays a big part in the creation of the band’s imagery.

“I think we’re very lucky yo have Gerard and he’s an amazing artist,” Bob agreed. “He comes up with a lot of the visual stuff for the record and drew the cover on Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. In the special edition of The Black Parade we put out it has a lot of Gerard’s drawings for our costumes and uniforms and a lot of ideas for the next tour. He is very visual with what he does and he’ll draw out any ideas that he has. It shows us what he’s thinking in his head and it’s great to have him do that.”

Still working on the details of how much of their theatrical live show will make it their Big Day Out performances, Bob is hopeful that the crowd is more welcoming than at Reading Festival in the UK earlier in the year.

“That was a strange show for us since there were a few people in the audience that, for whatever reason, decided to throw something and then even our fans starting doing it because it was fun to do,” Bob noted.
“What they don’t really understand s that it is actually kinda dangerous. At the end of the Reading show my ankle had been hurt a little bit as I’d been hit by a golf ball and I’d been hit in the chest with a Sprite bottle. Behind the drum kit, I’m absolutely a sitting duck. It was sad for the kids who were there to see us, as they didn’t really get to see a good show as they were worried about getting hit by bottles flying all over the place.”

Apart from bottles, Bob stated he also avoided the creepy My Chemical Romance fan fiction on the internet which fins the band in all sorts of imaginary [and often explicit] roles.
“We’ve heard about that and actually had one sent to us, so we read the first two lines and then decided it was best to stay away from reading that kind of stuff,” Bob concluded.
“That whole fan fiction thing is very strange to us – I don’t understand it!”
ChemicalLuq
Killjoy
ChemicalLuq
December 2nd, 2006 at 10:03am
MCR on BIG Cheese Magazine.

Cover
Poster
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 2nd, 2006 at 12:26pm
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 2nd, 2006 at 10:56pm
Guys Mag 1
Guys Mag 2
Guys Mag 3
Guys Mag 4
Guys Mag 5

This article will settle everyone's worries about the band breaking up and not making any more records after this tour.
WayFukdUp
Jazz Hands
WayFukdUp
December 2nd, 2006 at 11:48pm
head1stforhalos:
Guys Mag 1
Guys Mag 2
Guys Mag 3
Guys Mag 4
Guys Mag 5

This article will settle everyone's worries about the band breaking up and not making any more records after this tour.

*sigh of relief*
Kirstyf
Jazz Hands
Kirstyf
December 4th, 2006 at 05:58am
The guys are briefly mentioned in the January 2007 issue of Q. TBP is in the top 100 albums and WTTBP is in the top 100 tracks.

No pics and the text is really brief so not worth scanning even if I had a scanner! I've also had my worst suspicions confirmed that Q have rubbish taste - The Feeling and Kasabian both come higher than MCR in the top albums.

There's also a reference to a download from xfm - don't have the link details on me right now but I'll post it later.
bring more knives.
Demolition Lover
bring more knives.
December 4th, 2006 at 07:47am
wow, thank you all those awesome scans !
WayFukdUp
Jazz Hands
WayFukdUp
December 4th, 2006 at 09:57am

does anyone have scans to this?
Mosty alive
Killjoy
Mosty alive
December 4th, 2006 at 08:35pm
DEPPnMCR:

does anyone have scans to this?
Scans, yes, please find 'em.