Don't have an account? Create one!

The Effect of Single Parenting on Children

AuthorMessage
dana eats dreams
Banned
dana eats dreams
October 30th, 2006 at 01:34am
go_screw_a_whale:

Are the children raised in a one parent household getting the right parenting?

I think that this soully depends of the kind of parent who is raising the person.
My Mom is a generally good person [but then again, what is the real definition of a good person?], and I came out just fine. Or at least that's what I think.

But then again, I have acquaintances that have single parents who weren't brought up well at all [which is why we are only acquaintances].

So it just depends on the parent who is raising the child.
Chowder
Motor Baby
Chowder
November 8th, 2006 at 05:49am
I think they are influenced by the child itself.... They want to be a good mother and maybe their friends could motivate her to be a good mother......
McRgIrL13
Killjoy
McRgIrL13
November 8th, 2006 at 11:32am
i don't have bad effects i ve been raised fine with my sisters
The Hitcher
Bleeding on the Floor
The Hitcher
November 8th, 2006 at 12:18pm
I.think.it's.perfectly.ok.to.be.brought.up.just.by.one.parent.
My.god-daughter.is.1.now.and.has.been.brought.up.by.her.mum.so.far.as.her.dad.just.didn't.want.to.know. She's.turned.out.fine.and.is.a.really.happy.child!
bothersome-faces
Killjoy
bothersome-faces
December 11th, 2006 at 08:28pm
haveing to parents is not always the best
sometimes (ususally) your better off without the other parent
having two parents constantly fighting
would have more of a negative influence
than two seperate happy (not always) parents
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 12th, 2006 at 12:15pm
[quote="DanasaurusREX."]
go_screw_a_whale:

Yes they are. Well, it really all depends though. I am a single mother and take very good care of my children. There needs are always met.

But then again, I knew another single mother that wasn't that good of a mother.

So it really depends on the parent. If they want to be a good parent and have resources that are willing to help them, yes they can be great parents. I am not going to lie, I get lots of help and I am very grateful for it.
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
December 12th, 2006 at 04:00pm
I've been bought up in a single parent house hold. I don't think it has effected me that much. I would much rather my parents split up than being at each others throats all the (which is what they do if they are in a five mile radious of each other). I think it effects people in different ways. I know that when I have my own kids, I'm going to try and bring them up in a two parent surrounding. Just because I don't want them to feel as if they have lost something coz us not being around 24/7
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 13th, 2006 at 09:32pm
Sammie, sometimes it is best for the child(ren) to be with just one rather than both. I think if the parents are always fighting and yelling then, maybe it's best that the child be taking out of that situation.
x-crimsonregret-x
Killjoy
x-crimsonregret-x
December 15th, 2006 at 03:05pm
Me and my brother have been brought up by our mum nearly all our lives. We have our ups and downs like most household families. My brother is very close to my mum and I think that my mum will probably be able to support my brother better than my dad. In our situation we are better of without my dad. I think that it doesn't really matter much whether or not you live with one parent. In some cases it's better because there is less arguments. In some cases not so good because the parent in charge may not be able to handle being a single parent that well.
Nikkilodeon
Bleeding on the Floor
Nikkilodeon
December 15th, 2006 at 10:02pm
a single parent family i think is perfectly fine if the parents are always fighting or one of them is abusive, a drunk, or a drug addict then yes its a lot better circumstance for instance i met this one woman who had three children (triplets) all younger than two and she seemed as the best mom in the world
vampires_rock
Killjoy
vampires_rock
December 16th, 2006 at 12:05pm
i think it all depends on the single parent,me my brother and my sister were all raised by just my mum.we all have different dad too and none of them pay maintenance,my mum trys but we are really skint most of the time.
i think it has more of an effect when there is only 1 payment going into the house because it deprives some childeren of some of the things other kids have but then again if they are used to not getting what they want when they want it,it may get them ready for the hardships of owning their own home when they grow up
Nikkilodeon
Bleeding on the Floor
Nikkilodeon
December 16th, 2006 at 06:03pm
vampires_rock:
i think it has more of an effect when there is only 1 payment going into the house because it deprives some childeren of some of the things other kids have but then again if they are used to not getting what they want when they want it,it may get them ready for the hardships of owning their own home when they grow up

that is exactly what i think i have two parents but we barely make ends meet i now work and give my pay check to them regularly for food and other needed things and i have friends who have everything they could ever want and dont have half the knowledge i do of money control and morals
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
December 18th, 2006 at 11:07am
Tanya1979:
Sammie, sometimes it is best for the child(ren) to be with just one rather than both. I think if the parents are always fighting and yelling then, maybe it's best that the child be taking out of that situation.

Yeah for sure. My parents always argued when they were together and didn't really seem to care that we saw it. So I'm glad that they split up when they did instead having being older and seeing that.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
December 19th, 2006 at 06:15pm
I've never met my father. I don't know him or who he is. I've never even seen a photo - so my mum brang me up mostly, if you could call it that.
She was a young mum & I suppose she wasn't mature or responsible enough at the time to take care of a child (on her own or not is debatable). I think that even if my dad did stick around things wouldn't have been much better, so my opinons are a little biased.

What do you think the children with single parenting are more influenced by?
Well I think that children with single parents are more influenced by other kids they see at school & how they act. I think the media also plays a big role.

Do you think children with a one parent household aren't getting the right morals/relationship ideas?
Well I suppose that depends on the single parent and the situation surrounding that. I also think that just because your parents made a mistake, doesn't mean you're going to repeat it.

Again, I think this depends on the parent and the techniques they're using to raise their child.
Personally, I don't think it matters much whether there are one or two parents, it's more about what the parents or remaining parent are teaching them.
suffocate!
Motor Baby
suffocate!
December 31st, 2006 at 07:40am
Me and my sister are being brought up by my mum alone, and we've turned out okay. Even though we only get to see our dad near Christmas.
xXXxChemicalxXXXx
Killjoy
xXXxChemicalxXXXx
December 31st, 2006 at 04:33pm
My mom raised me and my little brother. We grew up fine.
candy clouds
Killjoy
candy clouds
January 3rd, 2007 at 03:54am
I think that a child would probably be better of with two parents but most children grow up perfectly normally with one parent.I grew up with only my mum and me and all my siblings turned out fine.In our situation things were a bit different to most families but we were definitely much better off without our father!!!
glitter geek.
Shotgun Sinner
glitter geek.
January 4th, 2007 at 06:46pm
my dad had comitted suicide when i was 5 or 6 so im raised by my mom.

i dont think it effects relationships at all, but could influence the way you feel about them.
suffocate!
Motor Baby
suffocate!
January 6th, 2007 at 02:50pm
Sorry to hear about that
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
January 6th, 2007 at 03:46pm
My parents split when I was four. If I had lived with my dad I would be different. He would have influenced me more when it comes to studying habits and how to act around people and in life. My mom was more laid back with studying which affected me badly. But I don't regret living with her. She's a good mom. I think if you live with a certain parent most of the time you'll change certain habits but not who you are.

And If my parents never split up my life would be total hell.