Don't have an account? Create one!

The Effect of Single Parenting on Children

AuthorMessage
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 7th, 2007 at 10:39pm
My dad left my mum when she was pregnant with me to marry another woman. I don't remember him and have not seen him since I was 2.

Every parent is different...don't stereotype single parents into being poor and drunken. Although some are, many are not.

Here is my advice. If you are going to have sex and don't want a child for the next 25 years use a condom. If your a dickhead and you don't make sure you are always there for that child, let it know you love it. If a child has love and stability in its life, the kid will be okay.
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
January 28th, 2007 at 12:19am

What do you think the children with single parenting are more influenced by?
I think this all depends on the environment the children are put in.
If the parent is supportive and is a good role model then theres a good chance they'll be fine.

Do you think children with a one parent household aren't getting the right morals/relationship ideas?
This varies from case to case.
Some avoid relationships because they are scared of the same thing happening to their parents happening to them.

Are the children raised in a one parent household getting the right parenting?
Living in a single parent household can be hard.
But it all depends on the parent who has you in their custody;
whether or not the parent is willing to spend time with their child
and what state they are in [ if the parent is an alcoholic, drug user, depressed ETC ]

There are people who live in a single parent household grow up fine, sometimes better off than those who have both parents.
Then there are the couple handful i see who grew up too fast and were forced to take care of their own parent rather than the parent taking care of them.

I dont think the government gives enough to the single parents;
My father only pays $100 or so every month and thats just a tiny little boost
My mom is raising three children by herself with no one to help her
most weeks we just barely get by with just enough money to get us through.
Her back is almost about to throw out but she works just to give us the things we need.

Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
January 31st, 2007 at 04:28pm
omg!!i think single parenting is sooo hard and very hard to deal with!!i know this cause my moms friend her husband died and her son is 17 and having such a hard time with life!!!!!he is in heavy depression!!and soo its hard to deal with!!!its very very very hard!!
the used.
In The Murder Scene
the used.
February 16th, 2007 at 09:00pm
My mom has been taking care of me since the day I was born.
My father wanted her to proceed with an abortion when he found out that my mom was pregnant with me. He just wasn't ready to be a father.
But my mom was, and still is, a wise woman, so she denied and had me.
But we're managing fine now.
My father has his own family with a woman and their two sons on 3 and 4 years old. They live only half an hour away from us, which is okay.
But he still supports us financially, of course.
That's a law in Norway where I live.
AnyWAY, my mom has had a rough time, and always been alone.
She's had support from her family, though, but is just wasn't the same.
I visit my father every second weekend, and I love it.
It's like having two homes. Very Happy
My mom and dad has a great releationship now, friendly.
I wonder sometimes, though. What it would be like if my parents still were together.
I guess I'll never know...

But I have these thoughts, awful thoughts. And they won’t go away...
.....................................................MCR 2007

And if you really think I’m all right, then remember this; I’m Not Okay (I Promise)...
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 17th, 2007 at 12:24am
I live with only my mom. It's not the ideal but we don't live in an ideal world.
EATEN ALIVE
Thinking Happy Thoughts
EATEN ALIVE
February 17th, 2007 at 09:45am
ive been living with my mom since i was 1 and half, cause their marriage with dad wasnt working. i saw him rarely till i was 9 or something, and then i havent seen him since.
i think i came out just fine. now when i think of it,i am reeally close with my mom. which could not be that way if dad would be here too.

when ive talked with mom bout all this, she's said that its not easy; when you're the only one responsable, when you have to take care of everything and always be there for the kid/s. this is why she is so protective with everything that i have something to do with.
all in all,we are doing good. we have food on our table,beds to sleep in, clothesto wear and so on, and she doesnt even get payed that much. sometimes i feel that i get more attension than some of my friends with 'full' families. sometimes it feels nice, sometimes it annoyes me.

only bad thing is that she kinda hates all males, and lets it show. she gets along with men if she has to, but that's it. so it was pretty hard when i first started dating and stuff, but then i made her watch some dr.phil-episodes and she got the point.
so even my dad was idiot and so on, i do know that not all men are.

so, i dont think single parenting is that bad. sure it would be great if everyone could have mom and dad in the same home and loving each other, but it just doesnt go that way. and it really is better to live with one and visit the other, than have them both, yelling and fiting etc. all the time.
but of course, it depends on a parent. some people can do it, and they do it good. some people couldnt do with all the help in the world.
The.Blue.Kitten
Joining The Black Parade
The.Blue.Kitten
February 28th, 2007 at 03:39pm
in my life, my parents got divorced when i was 4 but i still got to see my dad regularly, 4 yrs later my mom was in her second marriage and had my brother devon, then austin, shortly after austin was born, my mom divorced the second husband cause he was abusive, in my life living with a single parent hasnt changed me dramatically, but i think it will, and already has heavily affected my brothers, Devon is on medication for behavioral issues and some other things, austin also has some issues, both are special needs kids, im not saying theyre mentally ill, but theyr due hav issues and i think those issues wood hav been kept under better control if they had the father figure around, they were too young to remeber him, which im not sure i shood be grateful or upset about, all in all, not having a father heavily affected my brothers (ie: one nite i was having dinner and devon comes running and crying out of my room, i go in to see what happened, he had set my bed on fire, then a few months later, set a fire in a pan, put in on his bed, and it scorched the mattress)
Indie
Killjoy
Indie
March 14th, 2007 at 02:28pm
From when my mum split up with my dad until when she met my step-dad i was part of a single parent family and i dont think it affected me a lot, i still go out with lads and have normal relationships we people, i think it has done me little or no harm

*__Ruby.Gloom__*
x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
March 15th, 2007 at 01:29pm
What do you think the children with single parenting are more influenced by?
Do you think children with a one parent household aren't getting the right morals/relationship ideas?
>No, it all depends on the quality of the parenting, not the quantity. I see plenty of moms and dads raising horrible, corrupt and violent kids everyday.

Do you date/are you married to someone raised in a one parent household, and how does that effect your realationship with the person?
>I am from a single parent household, marrying someone from a two-parent family. The only difference is he has a bigger family reunion that I do.

Are the children raised in a one parent household getting the right parenting?
>I'm a perfectly adjusted adult. I graduated college with good grades, got a great job doing what I dreamed of, found a wonderful man to marry. My brother just started college and has never touched drugs, alcolhol or had sex. He's happy as a clam and pure as the driven snow. My mom couldn't ask for better kids.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
March 17th, 2007 at 08:38pm
Well, I've been brought up by my dad.
Sure, it influences people's live's, and I'm probably always going to see my dad's side of the arguement rather than my mum's (figure of speech, they've not argued since they divorced).
But still. It's not like any kid want to be raised in a one-parent household. And it's not like it's any kid's fault their parents spilt up.
The worst part is when you hear of kids killing themselves because their parents split, and the kid reasoned it was because they didn't love them.
That's sad.
he only thing I don't like about the situation really (apart from missing my mum) is that when I have kids, it's not going to be 'Okay, lets go to Nanny and Grandad's for tea'. That's the only thing that ever bugged me really.

Anyway.

Enough random ramblings.

Bye.

xoxo
Dead Guardian Angel
Jazz Hands
Dead Guardian Angel
March 17th, 2007 at 09:50pm
Now, it depends on the parent now doesn't it? I mean, my mom raised me for the first year of my life on her own. That must have had a good impact on me, because she's a good parent.
Now, if someone has an abusive or neglectful parent, then that might effect them in a negative way. Then again, it may not. It really depends...

I agree with you. It's sad when someone kills themselves because of their parent's splitting up. My friend's mom died when she was 2, and she started cutting a few months back. It's really scary. But that's enough of that. This is the Single Parenting forum, not the Suicide forum...

*Sakura-chan*
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
March 17th, 2007 at 10:39pm
It all depends on the parent. In some cases, it's better off with only one parent.
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 10th, 2007 at 04:27pm
I think that a single parent bringing up a child is fine, and very common at this day and age.
My mum was a single parent for a while after she split up with my dad, and my step sister was single parented for more than a year before her mum met my dad, and considering the fact that she is naturaly evil she is okay.
alzypow. THE END.
Fabulous Killjoy
alzypow. THE END.
April 10th, 2007 at 04:46pm
I think it all depends on how the single parent raises the child and/or how the parent came to be a single parent and how they deal with it
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
April 15th, 2007 at 05:58am
it can be very hard but i think it can be beneficial, as the parent and child can build up a very very close bond because it is just the two of them.
i think when you are in a single parent family, you also get to know the rest of that parents family better (in some cases), for example my mum and i live with my grandparents, and they are closer to me than my own father is.
however, i think sometimes it can affect the parent quite alot. i know my mum has found it very hard, and has been through quite alot of depression and things. i also think my mum can rely on me too much. for example, i think she thinks it is always gonna be just me and her like it always has been. it is going to be hard for her to ajust to not having me around when i decide to move out and lead my own life because it has always been the two of us in our single parent family. that is the only side effect i can think of really. especially as i have had so much imput in my life from other family members.
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 15th, 2007 at 11:24am
I was raised by my mom after my a**hole of a father died, and my siblings and I all are fine. In fact, we were raised better than some kids with 2 parents! My mom was and is always there for all of us. And having only one parent does have a limit on how much money you can get to spend, and when other kids talk about how much they spent on their outfits and then look at me , cus I'm NOT going to Abercrombie or American Eagle they look at me like I'm weird. But I so do not like it when I tell people that I have only one parent because immediately they want to know what happened to the other one. and I don't feel comfortable telling them.
But all in all, I think that being raised by one parent doesn't really affect anyone for the worse anymore.
dear matthew
Joining The Black Parade
dear matthew
April 15th, 2007 at 12:00pm
in the end siglehood parenting isn't so bad i mean if you have good friends they can help out
Luffy
Joining The Black Parade
Luffy
April 15th, 2007 at 12:07pm
I agree with silver. Even families are so stereotypical these days.

Not all families, in order to be functional, have to have a mom, dad, brother, sister.

My mom is raising me just fine. Smile
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
April 15th, 2007 at 12:19pm
Luffy:

Not all families, in order to be functional, have to have a mom, dad, brother, sister.

Very Happy Having a single mother doesn't mean she's a slut or some prostitute.
Having to be separated could sometimes be good. Say one of your parents who you're not with is an addict or an alchoholic. Your single mother or father is just doing what's best for you.
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
April 15th, 2007 at 12:19pm
Luffy:

Very Happy Having a single mother doesn't mean she's a slut or some prostitute.
Having to be separated could sometimes be good. Say one of your parents who you're not with is an addict or an alchoholic. Your single mother or father is just doing what's best for you.