Don't have an account? Create one!

College Students (or those planning to attend college)

AuthorMessage
Need to know.
Salute You in Your Grave
Need to know.
April 4th, 2011 at 10:48am
justin bieber.:
@A World Unseen: I haven't started, but I keep hearing it'll be tough. But with the right attitude and study habits, you can pull through no sweat. the thesis part is difficult though. and concentrate on maths. xD
Hehe yeah, that's what I keep hearing here too x] Either way I'm looking forward to it! Good luck and all :]
unknown-
Always Born a Crime
unknown-
April 25th, 2011 at 12:57am
I'm gonna attend Texas A&M University this August, I doubt anyone from here is from there or is planning to go there.
idee fixe.
Salute You in Your Grave
idee fixe.
April 25th, 2011 at 07:28am

I'm an incoming freshman at the University of Santo Tomas, and I'm taking up Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Science.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 27th, 2011 at 08:09pm
I'm starting at Grand Valley State University in the fall and I'll be studying Radiology.
mar0o0ha
Bleeding on the Floor
mar0o0ha
September 1st, 2011 at 05:10pm
im studying economics and i love it all exept for the exams its really bothering dont u think so
Quinnifier.
Awake and Unafraid
Quinnifier.
September 19th, 2011 at 04:23pm
English/Film major. I absolutely love it. I go to Utah Valley University. I've transferred so many times in my college years, it's not funny. But I think I'll like it here.
SoCoolLike
Killjoy
SoCoolLike
September 25th, 2011 at 12:32pm
I wanna be a radiation oncologist. I'm only a high school sophomore.
I have no idea what courses to take while in high school, or in college.
I've done some research (not a lot) but, depending on how long it would take to get my doctorate's degree, I think I might be looking at 20 years of education post high school. But I'm not sure. Beyond medical school, it looks like I'd be doing 4 years of clinical training, including a year of pediatrics, internal medicine, surgery, or family practice. After that, I'd be in a 5 year radiation oncology residency program. That's 9 years of training beyond medical school. I'm scared I won't be able to do it. But I really want to.

Help?
Kurt Coboner.
In the Cannibal Glow
Kurt Coboner.
September 28th, 2011 at 04:01pm
castiel.:
I'm currently studying at a Universtity in Australia. I'm doing a Bachelor of Communications and Media Studies majoring in Journalism and Film Studies. It's such a great degree but I don't know what type of job I am going to get ha ha. Either way I love Uni, it is completely completely different to school.
this is my problem as well! i want to take the media communications course at humber in toronto, but i have no idea what appropriate job could come after. like, my plans are more diverse than focused on one area. i guess i'll figure it out next year.
threeoclockfairy
Killjoy
threeoclockfairy
October 2nd, 2011 at 12:16am
I'm a sophomore in university as of right now. My plans are a Management major with minors in Chinese and Spanish. I'm on the fence if I want to add on another major like Fashion Design (My dream is to have my own store someday) or Economics (This could benefit anything with Management I would think).

My main goal is to be the most marketable in such a tough economy. I have no specifics on what career I want, but I have time for that. I'm pretty happy with my university. It's pretty big without being obnoxious, and it has a lot of resources and options for students. It's pretty cool.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 6th, 2011 at 01:29pm
iHateYou:
I wanna be a radiation oncologist. I'm only a high school sophomore.
I have no idea what courses to take while in high school, or in college.
I've done some research (not a lot) but, depending on how long it would take to get my doctorate's degree, I think I might be looking at 20 years of education post high school. But I'm not sure. Beyond medical school, it looks like I'd be doing 4 years of clinical training, including a year of pediatrics, internal medicine, surgery, or family practice. After that, I'd be in a 5 year radiation oncology residency program. That's 9 years of training beyond medical school. I'm scared I won't be able to do it. But I really want to.

Help?

This is actually what I'm studying.
There are programs you can find.
I'm studying Pre-med/Radiology as my undergrad at Grand Valley State University (there are very few universities in the US that have ful radiology programs, and mine is is basically a double major. So once I graduate I can go on to be a radiologist or go on to Med school. My university is one of the only ones that have this program, but diffidently look into other programs).
Then Afterwards I plan on going to med school, there are some programs where you can do your med school and your internship in one full swoop.
It doesn't really matter what you study in high school, just take difficult courses, lots of math and science and do what you can to get into college.
The highest math i took was Algebra 2 in high school (That was highest math course my school offered.) So now I just have to take more math in college.

If you look around at different med schools you can find a program that will best suite you. This is a career that will take alot of time, but it is diffidently worth it. I'm looking at probably another 10 years of school and internship till I am an oncologist.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 11th, 2011 at 02:26pm
A piece of advise.
If your rooming with someone you don't know, don't hesitate to change roommates while you still easily can if you don't like them.
They aren't gonna get any better; they'll get worse and you'll hate each others guts.
Working it out is hypothetical. but if there are serious issues its easier to just move.
If they affect your studying or sleeping time especially, try to change.
I've learned that the hard way from this semester.
I love my college, the worst thing about college is my roommate.
werard gay.
Crash Queen
werard gay.
November 20th, 2011 at 05:21am
I'm taking up my Pre-med. (:
The semester just started and I'm currently taking:
Clinical Chemistry 2, Immunology and Serology, Mycology and Virology, Analysis of Urine and other Body fluids (Clinical Microscopy), Pharmacology, and Hematology.
ONLY GOD KNOWS HOW WILL I PASS THEM ALL. D:
/lol
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
December 7th, 2011 at 06:45am
second semester started and i'm so freaking happy. i'm preparing to shift so all my units are geared towards Arts and Humanities, and I've dropped all my Computer Science / Engineering major subjects.
So right now i'm taking:
English 12, English 10, Creative Writing 10, Creative Writing 100, Geography, Biology.
And my PE is Bridge. OKAY. lol.
City Lights.
Salute You in Your Grave
City Lights.
January 6th, 2012 at 07:39am
Second semester starting.
Prep year in college for music theory.
I'm a Music major.
I sing opera.
... I may or may not love it to death, just slightly.

Basic Improvisation 2, Ear Training 2, Basic Keyboard, General Theory, Vocal Master Class.
My elective for this semester is Video Gaming And Interactive Virtual Realities.
lana del rey.
Demolition Lover
lana del rey.
January 15th, 2012 at 05:15am
I'm about to start my third year of Uni. It seems fucking insane! Never thought I'd get here.
I absolutely love uni, but it helps that I'm studying subjects I love.
I've changed from majoring in Film and Journalism to Film and English Literature now.
I hated Journalism so much and as soon as I changed everything was just amazing.
If you hate what you're studying change it. Trust me. I now get excited (well, to an extent) about writing essays for uni.

Also I'd just recommend to everyone to try and get as much work experience as you can. You have no idea how valuable it is and how much it helps you decide on a career path if you're in an ambiguous degree.

As for my actual subjects this semester:
Editing Foundations 103
U.S. Literature 268
Emerging issues in Media and Communication 310
Social Justice and Children's Literature 377
heartstrings.
Demolition Lover
heartstrings.
January 26th, 2012 at 11:59pm
In my fourth semester. Started out as a pre-nursing major and took general ed classes the first year. Then, last semester, I started pre-reqs for the nursing program at my school and one of the pre-reqs was a chemistry class - a basic crash-course that combined a little bit of general chem, organic chem and biochem.
I fell in love. <3
I switched my major and am now officially studying biochem and, for the first time since I've started college, I am 100% sure that this is what's right for me. I was always questioning myself when I was pre-nursing - do I want to do this? Is this right? What if I don't like it? A million what ifs and I just never felt satisfied.
It's the complete opposite now. I absolutely love chemistry and, no matter what I do, I know I'll be happy with it because I'll love what I'm doing.

So far this semester I'm taking a General Chemistry course (the first out of a year-long sequence), a Calculus II course, and an Intro to Nutrition course (to fill up my units and keep me full-time).

A word for those starting university soon or entering their first/second semester: It's okay to change your major. I think something like upwards of 70% of students change their major at least once. College is where you get to experiment and find what you love so take different classes - an art class to fill up units or a sociology class for general ed. You might find something you love.
I was fortunate - I found something I adored within two years of entering school. Do I wish I had found it a little earlier? Yeah, maybe. But I always go back to the thought that I found it and I know that I'll stick with this until the end.
I could literally go on and on about how much I love my major because it's something I'm so passionate about which brings me to my final point. Follow your passion. If you don't at least like what you do, you won't be very happy or satisfied with yourself later on in life (or at least that's just my opinion).

All right. Spiel over. (:
shishio
Demolition Lover
shishio
March 3rd, 2012 at 03:57pm
I'm a freshman studying French, Spanish and Sociological & Political Studies.
Just wondering if anyone has studied languages at degree level or been required to do an exchange as part of their degree?
Gerard Arthur Way.
Demolition Lover
Gerard Arthur Way.
April 7th, 2012 at 02:53pm
I'm studying a Bachelor in English right now and then moving on to a One Year Master's Degree in English literature.
This summer I'm also taking a Creative Writing class.

I've been studying abroad in Ireland, it's a great experience and I highly recommend doing it. You'll meet people from different countries and learn about their culture, and you make a lot of new friends. It's a blast.
Gerard Way.
In the Cannibal Glow
Gerard Way.
April 11th, 2012 at 12:29pm
After six and a half years, im finally done with medical school... Thanks to all my INO friends for being my online savior thru preclinical years until the end of my clerkship, ily all :-3
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
April 14th, 2012 at 02:09pm
unknown-:
I'm gonna attend Texas A&M University this August, I doubt anyone from here is from there or is planning to go there.

I'm transferring next semester to UT Austin, boo hiss! Smile \m/
Hook em horns!