Don't have an account? Create one!

Disenchanted

AuthorMessage
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 2nd, 2008 at 04:19am
It's quite surprising that so many ppl quoted this line "how i watched all my heroes sell a car on TV" without really getting its meaning. IMHO it's bigger than love and bigger than bullying: it's about being jaded, esp at a young age, after realising that we hv been fed certain lies and ugliness & persuaded to accept it as the truth.

when i was brokenhearted in love, i felt for this song; now i'm in advertising and i really feel for it still - perhaps more than ever. what is it like, after all, for a young bright-eyed person to see his/her idol "sell a car on TV". more than just selling out, which i think is also true, maybe its abt being disappointed & let down by figures whom u look up to.

"I was there on the day they sold the cause for the queen
I hate the ending myself, but it started with an alright scene"

it's like comparing the beginning of ur life & where u're at rigth now. we started idealistic & believing evrything on the silver screen or the authority books were right; then we're let down by the things that r supposed to be protecting us.

Well, u're free to correct me if u think i'm wrong Smile
made from neon
Salute You in Your Grave
made from neon
January 3rd, 2008 at 01:33am
That was... exactly what I got out of it, and I love how you worded it =]
Kudos =]
rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
January 16th, 2008 at 05:45pm
Well, i'm not very deep and don't like thinking, but here is what I came up with in context with the cd storyline:
1)This song is about " The Paient" who thinks he will die
"Now will it matter after i'm gone?"
"We watched our lives on the screen, I hate the ending myself"
Also, The first part does sort of sound like reminising, do you not agree?
2)and is bidding farewell to a loved one,
"Go, Just go!"
3) but at the same time is frusterated that that person won't listen.
"And If you think that i'm wrong, this never meant nuthin to ya" etc
4)And he knows the person knows that he is right
"If i'm so wrong, how can you listen all night long"
rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
January 16th, 2008 at 05:48pm
Here is my oppinion with the context of reality:
1)This song is about someone who is either affraid he/she will die or is leaving a loved one for some undefined reason.
Also, The first part does sort of sound like reminising on either life, or love, do you not agree?
2)and is bidding farewell to the loved one,
"Go, Just go!"
3) but at the same time is frusterated that that person won't listen to what he's trying to tell them
rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
Here is my oppinion with the context of reality:
1)This song is about someone who is either affraid he/she will die or is leaving a loved one for some undefined reason.
Also, The first part does sort of sound like reminising on either life, or love, do you not agree?
2)and is bidding farewell to the loved one,
"Go, Just go!"
3) but at the same time is frusterated that that person won't listen to what he's trying to tell them
rise_again_tomarrow
Joining The Black Parade
rise_again_tomarrow
sry, I dnt mean to post it twice, comp screw up.
MyChemicalConspiracy
Killjoy
MyChemicalConspiracy
January 17th, 2008 at 11:47am
"If I'm so wrong, how can you listen all night long,"

Seems to me like someone has been scolding his morals and saying he's a bad person, yet they cannot resist his music. Dunno, just a theorie (sp)
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 18th, 2008 at 05:07am
Actually at one time when i was in love with someone, and he kept walking by and i never got the courage to say hi, i kept hearing these lines in my head:

it's just a sad song
with nothing to say....

and

it was the roar of the crowd
that gave me heartache to sing

bcoz i was reminded of how, when faced with an audience i'd actually be quite bold and do stuff i wouldnt be motivated to when alone. & maybe, if enough ppl dared me, i'd actually go up to him and say "i love you." it wouldnt matter if he took it as a joke, i just wanted to say it.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 18th, 2008 at 05:08am
Hvg said that, disenchanted is evidently anything but a simple love song. it has so many layers to it and we still haven't mined its full potential...! Smile
The Butcher
Really Not Okay
The Butcher
January 19th, 2008 at 06:12am
I think it has something to do with Eliza.

But I don't really know.
bethanie
Killjoy
bethanie
January 21st, 2008 at 10:36pm
i believe if you pay action to these lyrics it explains what the song it about....
its for the fans....fans that clam to stand behind the band no matter what...but if they date someone the fans don't like or even if they do something the fans don't like...they turn ageist them and say that they are wrong for it and get upset

If im so wrong
How can you listen to it all night long?

Now he wants to know if he like dies tomorrow or if the band ended will what they said and has done matter to us

Now will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing

I might be wrong but thats what i got
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
January 28th, 2008 at 02:29am
i think its about Gerard feeling like its the end of the band.

I hate the ending myself,
But it started with an alright scene.

in the beginning, the band started out as a great idea and it became successful but the ending (during the time in the paramour mansion) isnt a good way to end things.

It was the roar of the crowd
That gave me heartache to sing.

so they always said that the band will end when they run out of things to say, right? well Gerard feels like he doesnt have it in him anymore and hearing the crowd (or fans) cheering for him makes him feel bad because he feels like his heart isnt in it anymore.

If I'm so wrong (so wrong, so wrong)
How can you listen all night long? (night long, night long)
Now will it matter after I'm gone?
Because you never learn a goddamned thing.

if he doesnt have anything relevent left to say, then why are fans still listening to him? and at the end of it all, we wouldnt have learnt anything.

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to ya

this verse is him telling himself he has nothing more to say and all hes left with is a sad song and if he thinks thats wrong then this band never meant anything to him in the first place.

So go, go away, just go, run away.
But where did you run to? And where did you hide?
Go find another way, price you pay

yeah i think this one is pretty self explanatory.

anyway thats my interpretation of this song.
and i think Famous Last Words was put on the album right after Disenchanted because after feeling like this, FLW is more optimistic and full of hope.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 29th, 2008 at 01:10am
earth2themorgue:
and i think Famous Last Words was put on the album right after Disenchanted because after feeling like this, FLW is more optimistic and full of hope.

hmm ...interesting & well-spotted. Smile
Veeolin
Jazz Hands
Veeolin
February 6th, 2008 at 12:32pm
I think this song is like Vampires with the metaphor stripped away.

People live their lives in a daze, the undead, and take too much for granted. It's almost MCR basically saying, "You're listening to us, but are you actually getting the point here?"

"If I'm so wrong, how can you listen all night long?
And will it matter after I'm gone?
Because you never learned a goddamn thing.

You're just a sad song with nothing to say."
About a life long wait for a hospital stay.
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to you."

Do you get how I see that? =/
Vlud
Fabulous Killjoy
Vlud
February 18th, 2008 at 10:28am
ya know, i guess the reason of this song is like..."remember the good times back then", and that's why i like this song so much because i know it's gonna bump into my head in a few years from now while i'm looking through my middle and high school scrap books
Vlud
Fabulous Killjoy
Vlud
February 18th, 2008 at 10:37am
Man's laughter?:
That was... exactly what I got out of it, and I love how you worded it =]
Kudos =]
OMG i love That 70's show...both your photo and your signatu are mad ass funny...can i add
Stifled Endings
Killjoy
Stifled Endings
February 24th, 2008 at 01:29pm
this song always makes me cry to me it represents the feelings the kid/man/guy has about the inevitability of death and that once you realize this the feelings you once had of suicide dissapear because your shown the "gullitine" (i forget the spelling)
blue.and.yellow.
Fabulous Killjoy
blue.and.yellow.
March 8th, 2008 at 01:53pm
I was just thinking it was about how someone (maybe the patient) wasted his life, and he's already at the end. He should've made a difference and loved other people while he could. He's kind of tormenting himself all night ("if I'm so wrong, how can you listen all night long?" ) about what he's going to do since he only has so much time before he dies.

"I hate the ending myself, but it started with an all right scene"
He liked how his life started out, like how everyone loved him and he was a good person. Then maybe he got into bad stuff like drugs, and that's what has brought him to his end. Now he wishes he hadn't done it.

That's just my theory and sorry if someone already said this, I didn't see. *bows*
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
March 8th, 2008 at 03:15pm
Gerard W:

Both are just rumors- neither are confimed nor denied. IMO, i doubt Gerard would waste on ounce of his talent, on a talentless hack like Bert McCracken.

Oooh, ZING! Laughing

Personally, I think Disenchanted is about the Patient looking back on his life. But I'm not entirely sure.
pushups in drag.
Killjoy
pushups in drag.
March 20th, 2008 at 09:17am
well, i think its quite obvious this song is a reflection of 'the persons' life.
i sometimes do think quite alot is about gerard, i mean i dont know loads, but;

music was his 'secret passion', no? i think that the line
"it was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing"
is how he always wanted to BE SOMETHING . he's said it himslef, right? and so he turned to music.

"i spent my high school career spit on and shoved to agree"
we all know that he had a taough life when he was younger, that line just really really makes me think its about himself.

"was a lie when they smiled
And said, 'you won't feel a thing' "
well you never know what shit's gonna be thrown at you, and maybe he feels upset that life is so much harder than everyone makes it out to be when you're younger? what with depression and bullies and stuff..

idk though.