Don't have an account? Create one!

Disenchanted

AuthorMessage
RedTieOut
Fabulous Killjoy
RedTieOut
May 24th, 2007 at 09:29am
airwave parade:
It goes through the uselessness of the world, watching the replay of our lives when we die which started okay and got stuffed up in the end...the agony caused by peer pressure, how you cannot trust people who you call friends but are not really friends, getting in trouble and the excitement of risk taking, high school bullying and trying to be successful in the world. These are memories and some nostalgia.

Then Gerard goes on to sing about being 'wrong' meaning people didn't understand him and got judged without understanding him properly. He gets hurt by the way how people treat him like this, but at the same time, he believes he's right and it's the other people's loss if theymisunderstand him but it's too late because he's dead. He believes that people aren't doing anything about their lives and are too complacent to just wait a lifetime to end up dying in a hospital. It seems like he has things to tell people so they can learn from him but they never listened or learned so to those people this song still means nothing to them.

He sums up that these people are just a 'sad song'. This is song is really his way of getting back at those who hurt him- revenge in a subtle way, but it also makes you pity for him.

I agree. I used to get bullied so when I heard this song, I felt I could identify with it and I remembered what had happened at my old school. >.<
My-Chemical-Gumby
Killjoy
My-Chemical-Gumby
May 24th, 2007 at 07:56pm
I think it's about being bullied and then looking back and seeing what that experience has done to your life and how it's changed you. I think it's one of the deepest and most hard to figure out songs they've written. but i also believe evyrone should and usually does get something different out of it. That's what MCR's music is all about.
MyGeekyRomance
Killjoy
MyGeekyRomance
May 27th, 2007 at 04:38pm
I Think This Song Is The Paitent Saying That He Was Quite Old And Ready To Die...He Was Accepting The Fact That He Was Dead! Very HappyRazz
ilovethelyrics
Killjoy
ilovethelyrics
May 28th, 2007 at 09:55pm
i think that its about like Gerards life.
like when he says
"i spent my high school career spit on and shoved to agrree"
well thats like his life.
theundeadacademy
Killjoy
theundeadacademy
June 5th, 2007 at 12:29pm
I agree with the bulling thory but I also found myself reading slightly deeper into it:

"Well I was there on the day
They sold the cause for the queen
And when the lights all went out
We watched our lives on the screen
I hate the ending myself,
But it started with an alright scene"

I always thought this verse was the main reference to the patient, thinking about what his life was like and the things he saw.

I think that sometimes he thought that he was watching his life go by and felt slightly detatched from the world and now he's gone he wishes he had done something differently.

It was the roar of the crowd,
That gave me heartache to sing
It was a lie when they smiled
And said you won’t feel a thing
And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting

I always had this down as a reference to his ideas on society or mob society and maybe the patient thinking about him being young. The lines " it was a lie when they smiled and said you won't feel a thing" Is all the times he was and we are all lied to to convince us to go with the mould and what is expected of us and the rebelliation against that.

"If im so wrong, (so wrong, so wrong)
Can you listen to it all night long?
(Night long, night long)
Oh will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing"

I always thought this verse was about whther we can really make an impact and change something make the world a better place and whther we will be rembered rather than just fading away and that all the things that we say are falling on deaf ears.

You're just a sad song, with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I’m wrong
This never meant nothing, to you

I thought of this is about the actual dying, that we're all scared of it and trying to run away from it but once we accept it.

I spent my high school career
Spit on and shoved to agree
So I can watch all my heroes
Sell a car on TV
Bring out the old guillotine
We’ll show them what we all mean

This was my main bullying reference but also the limits society has on those who aren't what is referred to as "normal" The first couple of lines are obvious and watch my heroes sell a car on TV, shows how few people we sometimes feel we have to look up to who aren't doing or saying things we don't agree with, about being different and feeling like you don't belong.

Well yeah, sorry about that guys I go on a bit don't I lmao

but yeah...let me know what you guys think, or have ai gone totally insane
GeRAWRd!
Killjoy
GeRAWRd!
June 5th, 2007 at 03:49pm
I obvious he's looking back at his life, because of the line: "And when the light all went out, we watched out lives on the screen." this could also be an analogy as in, when god turns of the lights (you died) you see your life flash before you.

I think it's the patient realizing his life was worth nothing. "You're just a sad song, with nothing to say."

He's also looking back at his life, and thinking of all the thing he's done:
"I spent my highschool career, spit on and shoved to agree. So I can watch all my heroes sell a car on TV."
"It was the roar of the crowd, that gave me heartache to sing, it was a lie when they smiled and said you wont feel a thing and as we ran from the cops, we laughed so hard it would sting."

This is my opinion, not the actual meaning...
xa shot to rememberx
Killjoy
xa shot to rememberx
June 5th, 2007 at 05:33pm
The lines 'And when the lights all went out we watched our lives on the screen. I hate the ending myself, but it started with an alright scene' makes me think its about Gerard and how hes unhappy with the way hes living his life.
'It was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing' is a really sad line. I don't know how to explain it. It's a heart melter.
'Now will it matter after I'm gone?' makes me think that he doesn't think what he's done has made an impact on people. [Quite the contrary Gee.]

I might be wrong, but thats what I personally got from the song.
skullsNpixieDust
Killjoy
skullsNpixieDust
June 7th, 2007 at 09:12pm
i think that this song is him songing to a lover. after they broke up she is still there talking to him all night long and she does not get that she still loves him. he is upset about it all.
Memories Defeat Us x
Killjoy
Memories Defeat Us x
June 11th, 2007 at 04:10pm
im kind of bummed that it didn't say what the band's meaning to it was on it.
but its my favorite song off of tbp :]
lyrical lies.
Always Born a Crime
lyrical lies.
June 12th, 2007 at 05:30pm
Ok I think it is about violence..and how when something happens to you..you can turn to someone who will help you get through a struggle..
Just-Sleep
Banned
Just-Sleep
June 18th, 2007 at 12:01pm
When I listen to this song.. it really reminds me of Gerard and Bert for a reason.
First it was this line: "Oh will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing" - After Gerard left Bert.. he was still drinking and doing drugs and stuff.
and this line too : "And if you think I'm wrong
This never meant nothing to you" - Bert still Disses Gerard about stuff. and pretending that they never really were friends. Bert's got some real issues.

"And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting" - Also like, reflecting on the good time that you've had and maybe regretting something you did later on to lose it all. So yeah, it could just be Gerard's own messed up life, the small and little bad things that happened.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 25th, 2007 at 12:54am
i think its about bert and gerards experiances of growing up. i know he wrote this song to get mikey to rejion the band. but if you know the reason why bert and gerard had a fallout then you'd relize the first verse was about bert and the second is about how awful high school was. it's basically saying in away, i trusted and loved you, you betrayed me and now i can't look at you, disenchanted. so it's saying if you don't agree after it all then why are you still here?
sarah.dramax3
Jazz Hands
sarah.dramax3
June 25th, 2007 at 01:36pm
Mmkay, I think the song has alot to do with how Gerard, or the band, or the "Patient" screwed up there lives. Or, how hard it was for them..
Maybe, even how the always took the hard way..
"I spent my high school career spit on and shoved to agree,
So I could watch all my heroes sell a car on tv.."

Love is the red of the rose on your coffin door. What's life like bleeding on the floor?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 25th, 2007 at 04:04pm
^ well the line "watch my heros sell a car on tv." i think means that you looked up to someone but then relized they weren't all that great. and they let you down, i think that's what the whole song means. you looked up for so much and now its over and you relized maybe it wasn't what you wanted after all and you feel let down
G-radway99
Killjoy
G-radway99
June 25th, 2007 at 06:37pm
I think it's about someone just flying through life and not doing anything with their life. They were just having a "lifelong wait for a hospital stay." When they die. And Gerard is saying life "never meant nothing to them" My perspective on it.
G-radway99
Killjoy
G-radway99
June 25th, 2007 at 06:46pm
The only song (I heard about LOL) that was about Gerard and Bert relationship was in You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison. Plus Bert did background vocals on that song
lilgreenmonstr
Killjoy
lilgreenmonstr
July 1st, 2007 at 12:04pm
you know, it said on something i heard which had the band talking about this song (which i love btw) and that it was the one that Mikey liked so much, so maybe cos he was relating to it so well, its kinda about him and maybe some of how depressed he got.
i dunno really, its just what i heard just today, and i thought it might mean something
MCRisforeversavingme
Killjoy
MCRisforeversavingme
July 2nd, 2007 at 02:01am
for me it sounds like gerard is looking back on his life... maybe like home videos or somthing then remembering other stuff 2? and who ever said ALL the songs were based around the patient? did the band actually say that on an interview or somthing? b/c they r all about different things so maybe some of them r about gerards and the bands experiences? maybe idk.
Sophi17
Killjoy
Sophi17
July 3rd, 2007 at 06:41am
i think this song is talking about his life.

'i hate the ending myself but it started with an alright scene'

his life started off fine, but then turned around and he ended up hating it

ily x xx
Painful Laughter
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Painful Laughter
July 3rd, 2007 at 07:01am
I take the line "I hate the ending myself but it started with an alright scene" as if he is talking about (although i hate to say it) the end of the band. I'm not saying they're breaking up.

He won't want the band to end, but when they all feel that it is time, they will stop. And they like remembering the good old days back when they first started out. "The salad days" as Mikey says.