Don't have an account? Create one!

Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

AuthorMessage
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
March 6th, 2008 at 10:46am
Re: "Trapped in by all these mountains..."

For those not familiar with that region of Pennsylvania, it's very mountainous, and if you're stuck someplace, you're seriously stuck: It can take hours to go a few miles, because of all the mountains.

Yes, this song is about "Dawn of the Dead." I think it made my boyfriend (Geroge Romero fanboy that he is) feel more charitably towards MCR. Laughing
Vacant3by4
Jazz Hands
Vacant3by4
March 6th, 2008 at 11:54am
Green Faerie:
Ok, I agree that it makes alot of sense for the song to be wrote as a result of watching the movie Dawn of The Dead.

But that seems a little surface level to me... Clearly the song is about two lovers which puts a different spin on the whole Zombie storyline. Is there a Love portion to Dawn of The Dead? Or did the writer of the song fabricate the thought of two lovers being put in this awful position? Kind of Romeo and Juliet if the two feuding families were monsters and living people, Lol.

It seems to me that Zombies could be a metaphor for something, it is possible. Can anyone think of any situations where killing a loved one to save them from a worse fate could sound right in this song. Things coming to my mind include terminal illness, and alzheimer's (I think the whole 'Vacant eyes' would be very suited to this concept as well) This song also reminds me of
'Of Mice and Men', where a friend has to kill another because other people will kill him and make it hurt.

Now i'm not saying this song is about those things, but I believe that anyone can interpret the concept of Zombies to mean anything else.

the of mice and men reference does actaully make sense when you think about it.
it's quite a sad book.
goodbye blue sky
Always Born a Crime
goodbye blue sky
March 20th, 2008 at 09:57am
I know, that it´s about that movie, but secretly I wanna think that it´s about something else, like relationship or one day that changed someone´s lives...
Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
March 20th, 2008 at 07:13pm
Dove Melankolia:
I know, that it´s about that movie, but secretly I wanna think that it´s about something else, like relationship or one day that changed someone´s lives...
I think MCR's songs mean whatever they need to, to mean something to you.
That's why they're written to also be metaphorical.
not_o-fuckin-kay
Killjoy
not_o-fuckin-kay
March 22nd, 2008 at 06:53pm
Solitary Style.:
Absolutely love this song--five stars. I've never seen "Dawn of the Dead," though Is it any good, I wonder?

Also, what is this bed from the end? I read somewhere that the infected woman was taken to a hospital, and he killed her there.

One more thing. I didn't think you could kill a zombie, not by shooting them in the head. Is there something I don't know?

You kill A zombie by either destroying its brain or setting it on fire but I would'nt recommend fire.
my_nocturnal_romance
Killjoy
my_nocturnal_romance
March 22nd, 2008 at 11:30pm
I live in Monroeville. Where Dawn of the Dead was filmed. And I'm listening to this song right now.
JIDDURBUG.
Really Not Okay
JIDDURBUG.
April 4th, 2008 at 01:30pm
Arkanthaes:
I believe this song sinks deeper than the "Dawn of the Dead" movie.

The first 4 lines tell of his perfect lovelife - The narrator has found his soulmate and his life is perfect, and whenever he see's her he is "counting her face among the living", saying she hasn't fallen to the corporate dependencies of the modern world that they oppose.

The next 2 lines show the severity of the situation - the corporations and businesses that are trying to run are lives cannot spread out over the land, their efforts are "trapped in by all these mountains"

"Running away" to "close and tight" tells of how the narrator escapes from the public to live with his soulmate, still inside those mountains but farther from the buildings where the would-be controllers lie. He doesn't kow that just one "bite", one encounter with those corporations can change a person completely.

The end of the song describes how he comes home one day to see the corruption fully taken hold of his soulmate. Noone cares that the real perwon has gone, noone cares that the person is already "dead", choiceless and automonotonous, ecept the Narrator. He could kill her, but he can't bear to.
Though her eyes are "vacant and stained", all of the goodness he saw in her has left, they still say that they love him, so he can't kill her. But he sees that it would be pointless anyway, as, though she's still healthy, "there's a corpse in this bed"

Just my thoughts Smile

the whole bullets album is along those lines - well, kind of.
they said that all the vampires and zombies written about, are a metaphor for ordinary people out there.. i can't remember what they said exactly, but the "corporations" thing, that's kinda where i'm getting at Wink

i think it's definatly about DotD, but there probably is a background story to it.. gerard probably mixed the two together or something..

anywayz, just my thoughts (:
MagentaCR
Killjoy
MagentaCR
April 4th, 2008 at 06:27pm
Oh, its about dawn of the dead... wonderfully explained whoever said it
but is there kinda anbother meaning... because with the lot of the songs theres a story, but it's a metaphor for something else isn't it? so any ideas on what this may be a metaphor for?
xhead1st4halos94x
Fabulous Killjoy
xhead1st4halos94x
April 5th, 2008 at 12:09am
/\ idk i think the metaphor might be like... feeling trapped without his.... whoever he was talking about in the song... and then being betrayed ????? im not sure. i do love this song tho
Bittersweet Spell
Killjoy
Bittersweet Spell
April 5th, 2008 at 06:30pm
Hte]elmee Bluth:
I think MCR's songs mean whatever they need to, to mean something to you.
That's why they're written to also be metaphorical.

I agree the songs should be how you think they are. Even though it was based on Dawn of the dead it could mean anything and used that as a sort of metaphor
ChaoticSerenity
Killjoy
ChaoticSerenity
April 6th, 2008 at 04:00pm
Well i think the songs about a couple, the woman has been bit by a vampire 'Not knowing you'd change from just one bite..' he's trying to save her from the people trying to get her (catholics, vampire hunters ect) he takes her to a hidden place for one last day together, hes taken a gun to kill her before the sun sets (thus the name) but before he can kill her the hunters find them and kill her, as shes dying she tells him she loves him 'when saying you loved me made things harder at best..' and he says that he should have known all along, but at the end he says about the corpse being in his bed, so evidently he's took her body home with him in some sort of obbsession.
Thats how i see it anyway.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
April 13th, 2008 at 01:49am
I agree to whoever said their songs have to mean whatever they mean to you. It leaves them open-ended and in that way people are able to relate to them in whichever way they want.

However I have written a long-ish interpretation of this song, it's probly too long to post so here's the link: x]
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnLc_wojPEVHov6beHrXPpXty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080120200944AA0hJf9&show=7#profile-info-10EXUriqaa
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 9th, 2008 at 11:24pm
i had no idea what this song was supposed to be about so im glad i came here Very Happy

the zombie thing is great, and after i found out that that was wat its about i actually cried listening to it lol
sarockgirl
Killjoy
sarockgirl
June 1st, 2008 at 04:28am
ALWAYS LOVED THIS song got to watch that movie
Willow Root
Killjoy
Willow Root
June 2nd, 2008 at 03:57pm
this song makes me cry because last April my sousin was murdered by her ex not exactly like the song, but still sad circumstances
palomat1
Killjoy
palomat1
August 30th, 2008 at 10:54pm
aww ilove this song and heartquakes explained it so well!!XXX
I_Promise
Killjoy
I_Promise
September 20th, 2008 at 07:04pm
i agree, but I like to think it can be applied to so much more.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
September 21st, 2008 at 08:28am
song reminds me of that film MAD LOVE with drew barrymore. about the 2 lovers running away, but the girl is suffering from borderline and she drives the guy insane and in the end he fools her by taking her back to chicago to a psychiatric centre... something like that...
StandUpEffingTall!
Killjoy
StandUpEffingTall!
October 15th, 2008 at 01:06am
I think its about how stupid suicide is and you will regret every last shot. Dance Smile
CoNfUsEd13
Killjoy
CoNfUsEd13
October 27th, 2008 at 06:27pm
Oh my God i knew it was Dawn Of The Dead!
I Feel Smart