Don't have an account? Create one!

Helena

AuthorMessage
emolady17
Killjoy
emolady17
March 14th, 2009 at 04:55am
this song is actually for Gerard's grandma that he really loved!! (so much!)
emolady17
Killjoy
emolady17
March 14th, 2009 at 04:57am
this song is actually for Gerard's grandma that he really loved so much!!
madame_tragic!
Killjoy
madame_tragic!
March 21st, 2009 at 08:02pm
black dahlia:

It could mean that Helena witnessed the deaths of many of her close friends and/or family members in her young life, and every time one of them died, naturally, she would cry and mourn them.

Or, it could mean something else.

Clap agreed.
needless to say, its about Elena.
but, am i the only one to notice that there is a word-connection with Wake Me Up When September Ends- Greenday?
"Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars/drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are"
nah, i don't know.
frankiero-luan
Killjoy
frankiero-luan
April 12th, 2009 at 08:10am
at one interveiw i heared that song helena is dedicated to gerard and mike grandma he said i know she is here with us even she is dead but her spirit is with us and that they miss her
xxmikey_wayxx
Killjoy
xxmikey_wayxx
May 3rd, 2009 at 04:07pm
its about mikey and gerards late grand mother ( elena they thought of her as helena) she was a big part in gerards life, she tought him how to draw, sing, damnce er and uhmm idk well thts most of it
poetic tragedy.
Awake and Unafraid
poetic tragedy.
August 2nd, 2009 at 01:39pm
The MCR-fan that doesn't know what this song is about, is not a MCR-fan.
I think. This song meens so much to me, and we all should know that it's about Gerard's and Mikey's grandmother. And it's a really, really good song.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
August 9th, 2009 at 02:11pm
Though i know its about Elena, I still feel like its a love song. Maybe thats the part it has in the album's concept.
Black Dawn
Killjoy
Black Dawn
August 11th, 2009 at 06:25pm
its about his grandma Elena dying but also how about she has touched everyones lives, and how her dying has broke evryones heart and that, possibly that when he dies they will meet again and be happy or that he wished that she hadnt died or that he had died with her
Whatsername97x
Killjoy
Whatsername97x
September 4th, 2009 at 09:42pm
Its about how pissed Gerard and Mikey were how theyre grandma, Helena, died and they took out thier anger and grievence in that song Crying or Very sad
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
November 15th, 2009 at 09:33pm
omg this is my favorite song. nothing in the world can replace the feelings that Gerard and Mikey have about their grandmother. i feel for them<3 my grandfather died a couple of months ago. i will always hold this song in my heart <3
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
November 15th, 2009 at 10:03pm
xoxomycemxoxo:
omg this is my favorite song. nothing in the world can replace the feelings that Gerard and Mikey have about their grandmother. i feel for them<3 my grandfather died a couple of months ago. i will always hold this song in my heart <3
that gurl has a freekin greenday pic and this is my chem! wtf?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 16th, 2009 at 10:48pm
xoxomycemxoxo:
that gurl has a freekin greenday pic and this is my chem! wtf?
Please don't spam. You don't have to have an MCR avatar to be on this site.

Welcome to INO.
StillNoUsername
Killjoy
StillNoUsername
January 12th, 2010 at 02:08am
so i know its about their grandmother, but you can only analyze that so much, so I was thinking we could attack the whole "angry letter to myself" thing? what do ya'll think?
Looking at it from that perspective makes "burning on just like the match you strike to incinerate the lives of everyone you know" pretty intense. It's like he just keeps hurting everyone around him, 'incinerating the lives' of everyone he knows. And he's looking back "long ago" at the person he used to be, at whatever used to be troubling him, and realizes that he's still there and is reverting back to that, "the hearse you die to get in again." And he's come "so far" from that person he used to be, but somehow hasn't been able to escape it and is still "burning on," still hurting those around him like he used to (not
physically hurting, mind you). He's angry at himself for "every heart (he) breaks," "every blade (he) stains," and the fact that not only does he do that, but even worse is that he "takes" from those people he hurts.
For "came a time when every star fall brought you to tears again," I was thinking that could be (since he's apparently talking to himself), that he was so on edge and vulnerable that every time something bad would happen and a "star fell," it would really affect him and break him down. And then,"we are the very hurt you sold" could be like a reference to the band, that what came out of all that hurt was my chemical romance, the "we." The word "sold" could
mean that he feels like he's sort of exploiting that hurt he felt by making it into music and making money off of it.
Then with "can you hear me? Are you near me?" it's like he's speaking to the past self I was refering to earlier, the person he used to be and feels like he still has the tendencies of. He's wondering if he's still that person. And then he says we can pretend to leave, as in, I can pretend I'm different now and I've gone down a new path, but we all know that I will have to confront that side of me again one day, and when I do it will be comparable to a car crash.
I guess "If you carry on this way, things are better if I stay, so long and goodnight" could be him saying he can't carry on this way anymore and needs to say goodbye to his past and all of this that's been haunting him.

Anyway, there are probably a million interpretations, but I wanted to get the ball rolling b/c noones really brought that side of it up
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
February 21st, 2010 at 12:52am
i actually memorized the song by heart a couple of months ago....
Kyelinn
Killjoy
Kyelinn
February 21st, 2010 at 07:44pm
StillNoUsername:
so i know its about their grandmother, but you can only analyze that so much, so I was thinking we could attack the whole "angry letter to myself" thing? what do ya'll think?
Looking at it from that perspective makes "burning on just like the match you strike to incinerate the lives of everyone you know" pretty intense. It's like he just keeps hurting everyone around him, 'incinerating the lives' of everyone he knows. And he's looking back "long ago" at the person he used to be, at whatever used to be troubling him, and realizes that he's still there and is reverting back to that, "the hearse you die to get in again." And he's come "so far" from that person he used to be, but somehow hasn't been able to escape it and is still "burning on," still hurting those around him like he used to (not
physically hurting, mind you). He's angry at himself for "every heart (he) breaks," "every blade (he) stains," and the fact that not only does he do that, but even worse is that he "takes" from those people he hurts.
For "came a time when every star fall brought you to tears again," I was thinking that could be (since he's apparently talking to himself), that he was so on edge and vulnerable that every time something bad would happen and a "star fell," it would really affect him and break him down. And then,"we are the very hurt you sold" could be like a reference to the band, that what came out of all that hurt was my chemical romance, the "we." The word "sold" could
mean that he feels like he's sort of exploiting that hurt he felt by making it into music and making money off of it.
Then with "can you hear me? Are you near me?" it's like he's speaking to the past self I was refering to earlier, the person he used to be and feels like he still has the tendencies of. He's wondering if he's still that person. And then he says we can pretend to leave, as in, I can pretend I'm different now and I've gone down a new path, but we all know that I will have to confront that side of me again one day, and when I do it will be comparable to a car crash.
I guess "If you carry on this way, things are better if I stay, so long and goodnight" could be him saying he can't carry on this way anymore and needs to say goodbye to his past and all of this that's been haunting him.

Anyway, there are probably a million interpretations, but I wanted to get the ball rolling b/c noones really brought that side of it up

Interesting interpretation, but I honestly don't look at it that way. I think the song is obvious as to what it's referring to and that's the death of Gee and Mikey's grandmother, Elena. Also we have to remember the album is a concept album so there is going to be that bit of fiction. If this were an angry letter to himself, I highly doubt the video would've been a funeral of a girl named Helena. That's just my opinion over this. I don't see Helena being an angry letter to himself, especially due to the fact that the song's title nearly mimic's his grandmother's name. This is my interpretation:

Long ago, just like the hearse you died to get in again

I think it's pretty obvious what this means. She died and dead people are usually carried in a hearse to the funeral and cemetery.

We are so far from you

He's saying she's dead and gone and somewhere else and they're no longer with her anymore

Burning on, just like a match you strike to incinerate the lives of everyone you know

To me this speaks of his pain as well as all the people she knew when she was alive. She struck the match when she died and burning hurts, so it's a metaphor for the pain and heartache that everybody feels over the loss of her

And what's the worst you take, from every heart you break, and like the blade you stain

This is him bluntly expressing that her dying and leaving him has broken his heart as well as breaking the hearts of everybody who loved her

Well I've been holding on tonight

I believe that this is him expressing that he's hanging on, trying to cope with her loss and doing the best he can. Sometimes when somebody experiences something tragic such as a death in their family you hear people use the words 'hang in there' a lot. I think this may be what he's referring to. He's trying to 'hang in there' so to speak.

What's the worst that I can say? Things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight, so long and goodnight

Honestly what's the worst he can say? He's seriously torn up and broken over her loss. Maybe when she first died he wanted to die with her or die so he could be together with her, but he comes to the realization that death isn't the answer to cope and that it's better for him if he stays and continues on living. So long and goodnight is the obvious goodbye.

Came a time when every star fall brought you to tears again

This to me clearly expresses that when she was alive the people in her life who died made her cry, made her grieve and mourn their loss.

We are the very hurt you sold

I've seen some interpretations of this and I think people get a little confused. This is basically turning the tables of the line above this one. When she was alive and people died, she cried and she hurt. Now that she's gone, he and everybody else who loved her are doing the exact same thing. They're crying and mourning for her loss.

And what's the worst you take, from every heart you break and like the blade you stain, well I've been holding on tonight. What's the worst that I can say? Things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight, so long and goodnight.

See above

And if you carry on this way, things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight, so long and goodnight

I think this is him coming to the acceptance of her death and also still realizing that it's better for him to stay alive. And of course the goodbye.

Can you hear me? Are you near me? Can we pretend, to leave and then we'll meet again when both our cars collide

I believe this is him talking to her after her death. You know how sometimes after somebody dies, early on we speak to them. Sometimes we ask them why they had to leave us? Can they even still hear us even though they're gone? Is their spirit near us? I believe that is one thing he's referring to. Now with the 'can we pretend' maybe if she can't hear him, can they just pretend? And the 'cars collide' part I believe is him speaking that they will meet again when he dies.

What's the worst that I can say? Things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight, so long and goodnight. Well if you carry on this way, things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight, so long and goodnight

And again, see above. ^^

I'm sorry if it seems silly at all, but truthfully this is my interpretation of the song and how I very strongly believe it is supposed to be read. I just can't see it being an angry letter to himself, especially when the whole concept of the video is nothing like that. Not to mention he's stated before it's a song for his grandma and inside the album cover it says that the album is dedicated to Elena. Another thing I remember Gee saying was in the video when Tracy came out to dance, he had to leave the room as he was getting emotional and couldn't watch her dance. But yeah, that's just me. ^^;
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
October 26th, 2010 at 09:28pm
I have the biggest crush on Gerard... Just sayin...
SjokoladeKu
Salute You in Your Grave
SjokoladeKu
October 31st, 2010 at 02:29pm
everybody knows what it is about.
Dazy2
Killjoy
Dazy2
November 27th, 2010 at 07:26pm
It somewhat attatches to how drugs won't help you. In the song it says "Well if you carry on this way, things are better if i stay.."
i thought that had some part..but i guess not ha
sweetblackdays
Killjoy
sweetblackdays
February 21st, 2011 at 04:30am
about mikey and gerards grandmother elena lee rush but they always thought of her as a 'helena' Wink its sweet really
sweetblackdays
Killjoy
sweetblackdays
February 21st, 2011 at 04:42am
gerard said that when elena first came to one of their shows it was one of the best gigs of his life, apparantly he was really angry with her when she died and was like how could she die? how could she be so selfish and leave me ? and thats where 'helena' came from, all of the aggression, anguish and grievance everything really went into that song! also elena tought gee and mikey practically everything they know so thats why and thats why they were so close to her x