I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

AuthorMessage
deletedeletedelete
Killjoy
deletedeletedelete
January 17th, 2008 at 12:10am
Tegan.:
mychemicalromantic08:
Yeah! This song's self-explanatory. I'M NOT OKAY!
It's really about a young Gerard Way in high school. He had a friend who was a girl and he was really in love with her. But she went all skank with her boyfriend and they started taking stupid skank photos and THAT broke Gerard's heart and now, I know the poor girl regrets it.

Yeah.
And made him have to resort to making out with Frankie.
Which is good.
So in a way I guess it is like Thank You for being a slut.
Stupid bitch. She can go die.

let me help you kill that bitch.
ill get the croquet mallet...
haide_matsumoto
Killjoy
haide_matsumoto
January 19th, 2008 at 11:43pm
ya,let's kill that bitch together !! Twisted Evil
mAmA_453
Killjoy
mAmA_453
January 20th, 2008 at 11:05am
Yeah, the song is mostly about his life in high school, you know, getting made fun of from being a goth....and being called emo.......the girl with the photos wuz just a part of his life that made him start to drink alot and doubting himself.....I love Gerard.
Im Not Okay!!
Killjoy
Im Not Okay!!
January 21st, 2008 at 05:20pm
well i think its about gerard at high school but if you ask me then mcr have been secretly stalkin me to write that song (as its me in every way)(by that i mean im not okay)
Unafraid? whatever
Killjoy
Unafraid? whatever
February 7th, 2008 at 03:20pm
I heard from sum where dat it woz all about the gurl gee fancied and wen she took sum sleazy fotos wit her bf if u reed the lyrics it says 'the photograhs your boyfriend took' i meen duh talk about in BIG BOLD BLACK AND WHITE (mind you though i cant actually reed in black and whie but yeah whatever)
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
March 25th, 2008 at 12:56pm
"When I was writing it, I was remembering how hard it was to be a 16-year-old in high school. I always wanted to be an artist, so I was this loner kid who just got drunk all the time. I only had one real friend. There was a girl I really liked, and she ended up taking really sleazy photographs with her boyfriend, and that really crushed me, I was just swimming in this pit of despair, jealousy and alcoholism.”
-Gerard Way

This song is definately about his high school years and his 'high school crush'. He talks about his despair and how tough his life was in high school.That's about all I have to say...
To The End;
Salute You in Your Grave
To The End;
March 30th, 2008 at 03:22pm
i think this song is dedicated to those who were picked on and/or got stabbed in the back in high school that wanted revenge. And how gee liked this girl but took skanky photos with her boyfriend. nyah.
Bill_Way
Killjoy
Bill_Way
April 22nd, 2008 at 07:49am
I'm not okay talks about the struggles Gerard Way went through. Like the alcohalism and the drugs. So he was pretty messed up. So the song talks about Gee not being okay about himself when he was drunk or high or both.
yummy_crayons
Killjoy
yummy_crayons
April 28th, 2008 at 06:37pm
i reckon that its to do with that chick at his highschool - that he liked her and that certain line

'photographs your boyfriend took.'

it just seems so obvious. Rolling Eyes
Bunny Marie Way
Fabulous Killjoy
Bunny Marie Way
May 9th, 2008 at 02:32am
I think it means about mcrs life in high school and now his showing them how fare his come or somthin like that.... Razz
darenmay
Thinking Happy Thoughts
darenmay
May 28th, 2008 at 05:10am
the hardships of school life. bullying. misery. outcast. love. jealousy. romance.
GerardLovesMeMore
Killjoy
GerardLovesMeMore
May 28th, 2008 at 12:31pm
this song at times consufes me. becuase hes like "im okay now" than hes promising that hes okay?
DISENCHANTEDLJD
Killjoy
DISENCHANTEDLJD
May 31st, 2008 at 12:15am
a tuff high school time or...idk
tay82
Killjoy
tay82
June 8th, 2008 at 04:27pm
i think that it is just the best song and coolest muzik video but i do feel bad for gerard.but it turned him into the great writer he is today!!!!!!!!
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 8th, 2008 at 04:53pm
geemae:
the hardships of school life. bullying. misery. outcast. love. jealousy. romance.

& How it will eventually get better.
awake_and_unafraid.
Killjoy
awake_and_unafraid.
June 8th, 2008 at 05:57pm
this is about a girl gee liked in high school but she ended up takin slutty pics n he was really hurt n shocked!!! poor gee..
jackassjeremy
Killjoy
jackassjeremy
June 9th, 2008 at 02:25am
i love how it repersents the feeling of when everyone around you is okay and your feel left out when they ask "how are you"
because we're not okay
we're not fine
repersents the hardships of life
BlackParadeBaby
Killjoy
BlackParadeBaby
June 16th, 2008 at 08:02pm
No quotes, but just this one thing.......BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO LISTEN TO ME BECAUSE I'M TELLING YOU THE TRUTH I MEAN IT I'M OKAY-TRUST ME!!!! MCR KEEP IT UP GUYS AND LOTS OF LOVE!!!!
xxI_Love_Gerardxx
Killjoy
xxI_Love_Gerardxx
June 18th, 2008 at 04:08pm
Bill_Way:
I'm not okay talks about the struggles Gerard Way went through. Like the alcohalism and the drugs. So he was pretty messed up. So the song talks about Gee not being okay about himself when he was drunk or high or both.

Yeah. Thay and the girl he liked but saw taking slutty photographs with her boyfriend. He mixed all of those emotions and memories and created this wonderful song.

Rolling Eyes I'm just wondering what was going through his mind when he was attacking the hocky jocks with the croquet mallet in the I'm Not Okay vid. There were seven of them and four of him! And they had hockey sticks!
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
July 9th, 2008 at 10:54pm
I found this off of imeem.com and sort of agree with it:

"In this song, a boy loves a girl very much, and she likes him as well, but not enough to break up with her boyfriend to be with only him. The two sneak around, and continue to do so though her boyfriend has nearly caught them multiple times "Remember when you broke your foot from jumping out the second floor". But there is jealousy when the boy sees the girl with her boyfriend "For all the dirty looks, the photographs your boyfriend took". His many attempts at convincing her to break off her relationship with her boyfriend fall short "What will it take to show you that it's not the life it seems". He finally tells her he will no longer sneak around "I held you close as we both shook for the last time, Take a good hard look" because it wears him out to deal with the secrecy "You wear me out". She makes attempts at charming him into staying, but he no longer falls for her acts "Another line without a hook". But he is still heartbroken "I'm not okay", because he did love her very much. As much as he tells her he is all right "But you really need to listen to me, because I'm telling you the truth, I mean this, I'm okay, trust me", he is not."

Maybe the photographs kept her from leaving her boyfriend because it's like blackmail.