Don't have an account? Create one!

I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

AuthorMessage
the.ghost.of.you
Killjoy
the.ghost.of.you
April 27th, 2007 at 08:52am
Gerard is not okay because he is angry at his girlfriend because she is cheating on him. "For all the dirty looks, the photographs your boyfriend took" He tries to tell her it's better to stay with him than another guy. Twisted Evil
violent_kisses
Killjoy
violent_kisses
April 30th, 2007 at 01:39am
To me....oh does this song ever mean a lot to me. Just hearing the line, "I'm not o-f@#$in-kay..." that just hits home.

To me the chorus sounds like what someone is screaming inside their heads...It's like when something happends and everyone is asking you if you're okay, and just so they'll leave you to vent you tell them "yea im okay", and they ask you if you're sure, so you're forced to repeat yourself.
"But you really need to listen to me
Because I'm telling you the truth
I mean this, I'm okay!
(Trust Me) get it?

And then in you're mind you're like i'm not okay, i'm so far from okay!!!!
I'm not okay
I'm not okay
Well, I'm not okay
I'm not o-f@#$in-kay

I hope that made sense.

Thats the way I feel sometimes...and I just kind of connected with the theme of the video since I was always a loner type in school who got picked on a lot.

Yay MCR!
maylora
Killjoy
maylora
April 30th, 2007 at 04:22pm
Ita about a girl that Gerard went to highschool with, he had a crush on her and when he found slezzy photos of her on with her boyfriend he decided he didnt like her for crushing him inside
xodemolition-loverox
Killjoy
xodemolition-loverox
May 1st, 2007 at 05:09pm
A girl in gerard's high school he liked that didnt like hima nd took obscene pictures of her and her boyfriend...."The photogrpahs your boyfriend took"

and just about tha life in highschool the whole band went through.
Gee-Bear Whore
Motor Baby
Gee-Bear Whore
May 5th, 2007 at 01:58am
i love this song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its awesome...
the thing that hits me most is
im not okay
im not okay
im not okay
you wear me out!

i love it...
coz IM NOT O-FUCKING-KAY!!!!
Dr. Manhattan
Bleeding on the Floor
Dr. Manhattan
May 5th, 2007 at 02:30am
This song should be a fucking
anthem for my life. This is one of my most favorite
My Chemical Romance songs, to me it means not being
okay and people giving you shit with just about everything
and in the end your just like "fuck you, im not okay."
you know after awhile it gets old telling people
your okay, this song is like a fuck you to being
"okay"
i Fucken Love Gerard
Killjoy
i Fucken Love Gerard
May 6th, 2007 at 09:17pm
i think that is awesome how he is using experience to write songs which i just started a band and i wrote two songs just yesterday but i dont think i have enough experience since im only 13. but i bet you that the girl he loved regrets it BIG TIME! but hopefully he's over her becuss obviousely she's not worth it! =) what do you think about it ? ohh and also ii FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG! =) [i also love MCR and GERARD WAY!!] =)
Arithmetic Doll
Salute You in Your Grave
Arithmetic Doll
May 7th, 2007 at 11:56pm
bestfriends shouldn't hurt each other
SATANS LIL HELPER!
Killjoy
SATANS LIL HELPER!
May 9th, 2007 at 12:51am
i always known it being about this girl gerard liked in highschool
myorganicromance
Banned
myorganicromance
May 9th, 2007 at 01:51am
that song was all about gerard's high school life
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 11th, 2007 at 04:44pm
heh i know its in my username, but who actually says "trust me" in im not okay?? in the vid its frank, right before he kisses gerard, but m not sure if it actually is him in the song... Smile
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
May 12th, 2007 at 10:17am
Generally, VERY self explanatory. It can refer to, say, tough teenage life, high school, getting beat up, being a loser or an outcast.

Sure, Gerard meant that it was about this girl he really liked, and that he got totally crushed when she took photos of her and her boyfriend, but the concept of the song doesn't ONLY revolve around that.

What's good about MCR songs is that they don't always stand on a singular basis. They can mean what the concept of the album is, AND (not or) at the same time, be a message you can use to express, or something to tell you that you're not the only one in the world who's messed up.

MCR members are geniuses. I guess that's why they're such a good band. Smile
DeToxic8_MCRmy
Killjoy
DeToxic8_MCRmy
May 13th, 2007 at 12:26am
yes, your Right(!) <G.Way> "When I was writing it, I was remembering how hard it was to be a 16-year-old in high school. I always wanted to be an artist, so I was this loner kid who just got drunk all the time. I only had one real friend. There was a girl I really liked, and she ended up taking really sleazy photographs with her boyfriend, and that really crushed me, I was just swimming in this pit of despair, jealousy and alcoholism." >
> "That is what happens when your borderline psychotic!;
If we write a song and it turns out really poppy, we have to make the lyrics really fucked up. There's psychosis to everything we do for sure. One day we're probably gonna write this number one pop tune that will be about a massacre!"
> (i concure, he feels Our Pain! )).
fun ghoul
In a Bullet's Embrace
fun ghoul
May 13th, 2007 at 06:31am
Being simply NOT OKAY!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
Catastrophic Dreams
Jazz Hands
Catastrophic Dreams
May 13th, 2007 at 12:06pm
This song is about Gerards high school life
and to me it has a lot of meaning because a lot of us aren't okay and we can't admitt it
emogurl11
Killjoy
emogurl11
May 17th, 2007 at 03:55pm
seriously, i love this song, i mean gerard had a hard high school life and to express his misery into a song that makes us think about it,and get past hard times only this band could du it!
iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
May 19th, 2007 at 05:55pm
the title I AM NOT OKAY (I PROMISE) well duhhh he isnt ok nd he means

iamnotok
May 19th, 2007 at 05:56pm
i luv mike way in the video wen he is just their nd lik not relly jumping around cuz he cnt he is soooooooo cute
chemically_romanced
Killjoy
chemically_romanced
May 19th, 2007 at 10:31pm
i think the reallt explains gerard's feelings. and that its really a personal song for him i mean he screams IM NOT OKAY!! isnt that kinda self explanatory?
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 20th, 2007 at 12:22am
chemically_romanced:
i think the reallt explains gerard's feelings. and that its really a personal song for him i mean he screams IM NOT OKAY!! isnt that kinda self explanatory?
Well yeah, but ppl are discussing the possible meanings of the verses.