Don't have an account? Create one!

It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Deathwish

AuthorMessage
my_way_is_Gerard_Way
Killjoy
my_way_is_Gerard_Way
September 2nd, 2007 at 02:45am
I think this song's about the two lovers in "Demoliton Lovers"
The chick realizes that the man comes back from the dead to be with her. So he finally gets to contact her. All he wants is to be with her, hense the lyrics "I will avenge my ghost with every breath I take"
near the end of the song, the lyrics basically give a message saying that you should live your life to the fullest because "in the end we fall apart just like the leaves changing color" and I guess in a way the man realizes that he will just have to watch over the woman until the day she dies "and then I will be with you"
Gerard_Madd
Killjoy
Gerard_Madd
September 3rd, 2007 at 12:51pm
i think its about someone backstabbing you or using you. it seems as if he is trying to tell the person that he will forever hold a grudge, even after death hence the lyrics:

I'm comming back from the dead.
And I'll take you home with me.
I'm taking back the life you stole.

Its about how nothing can stop you getting revenge on those who wronged you. this song teaches you never to let anyone take you for granted.

Ever.

xxx
high drama.
Awake and Unafraid
high drama.
September 9th, 2007 at 09:02pm
I've just been playing with the thought of that the name of this song might releate (sorry, I'm not too good at english >< ) to the whole "emo"-thing.
People are going on about this whole "trend" to be depressed and hurt yourself when you're what they call "emo". Maybe the title would be about that it's not like that. That the "emokids" who hurt themself really does it because they ARE depressed, not because it's a fucking trend. It's not a fashion statement, it's a fucking deathwish"
Does somebody get what I mean, even tho I suck at explaining in english?
Anyway, just a thought..
IXWantXYourXBleeders
Banned
IXWantXYourXBleeders
October 17th, 2007 at 05:16pm
when i first heard this song, i thought it was a love song, but as i listened to it again and again, i realized it's more along the lines of betrayal.

this hole you put me in wasn't deep enough... and i'm climbing out right now

this lyric is possibly about two really close friends, possibly two lovers.
one of them betrays tha other and kills him/her to cover up some dark secret, and buries hom/her in a secret place. the person who is killed comes back for revenge, and to show that he/she still loves him/her and wants to be with him/her forever(i've ost my fear of falling/ i will be with you)
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 5th, 2008 at 07:23pm
I think it's about all those stupid cliques. About how trying to fit in, trying to be "cool" is just gonna hurt you. When he says "I'm coming back from the dead, he talkin about how he gonna come back from all that pain of tryin to fit in and just gettin picked on. Just be yourself. The title IT"S NOT A FASHION STATEMENT IT'S A FUCKING DEATHWISH, is saying, it's not an incrowd or anything cool, it's hurtfull and unnesessary
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
February 26th, 2008 at 09:06pm
i think its very simple what this song is about: Revenge.
frerardskid23
Killjoy
frerardskid23
March 1st, 2008 at 11:53am
Ithink its about a man teling this girl he dosent love her and to leave him alone.
human wreckage
Jazz Hands
human wreckage
March 24th, 2008 at 07:32pm
this is the MCR song that means the most to me
To me it means to rise from the ashes of what you used to be.
To not let people (metaphorically) kill you, but to be strong, and get back up on your feet.
Its about realising how strong you are, and having the will to fight.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
November 26th, 2008 at 02:22am
I agree with what other people have said here Smile.

I think the "You get, what everyone else gets,
You get a lifetime!" that everyone's wondering about is him referring to how he's sending the people he kills to hell, because I took lifetime to mean forever, and these people aren't going to be escaping from hell any time soon :p
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
November 29th, 2008 at 03:46am
I think the lyric " you get what everyone else gets, you get a lifetime" kind of has to with people living how they want to live you may screw it up but everyone gets given the same thing and how they use it is up to them.
but maybe the rest of the song is about betrayal and revenge
Pixie-Gates
Awake and Unafraid
Pixie-Gates
December 17th, 2008 at 06:08pm
This song is absolutely effing incredible, and my favourite MCR song ever.

My two cents?

I think it's a song about revenge, but hidden within the lyrics is a message of hope and sorrow. It fits the theme of vengeance on Three Cheers but I think there's a deeper emotional message. It sounds to me like the person from whose perspective the song is written is planning to take vengeance on someone who wronged them, but this is bittersweet to them, because perhaps the culprit is someone dear or precious to them. An old friend maybe, or a lover, knowing the theme of the album. The lyrics vacillate from venom to despair to poignancy, which leads me to this conclusion -

"For what you did to me...you'll get what everyone else gets, you'll get a lifetime."

You talk to me, but would you kill me in my sleep?

["Paint these walls in pitchfork red" is, to me, one of the most stunning lyrical depictions of a violent murder ever written]

I will avenge my ghost with every breath I take...I'm taking back the life you stole

But then towards the end, the lyrics take such a beautiful and harrowing turn. The whole last verse is heartbreaking -

When you go, just know that I will remember you
If living was the hardest part, we'll then one day be together
When in the end we'll fall apart, just like the leaves change in colour
And then I will be with you
I will be there, one last time now

I've lost my fear of falling, I will be with you.

Those lines to me convey a sense of affection and tenderness towards the target, which makes me think the speaker could be of two minds. Killing the object of their affections, for vengeance or due to circumstances beyond their control, but hoping to be reunited one day.

=]

Unless, it's just another classic MCR based-on-a-random-comicbook-mixed-with-the-inexplicable-incandescence-of-Gerard's-imagination song.

XD
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
December 17th, 2008 at 10:10pm
For me. This song makes me think of a horror movie.
Two lovers.
Girl kills boy while he's sleeping its a very violent murder..
His spirit comes back to life.
He wants revenge.
He chases her around, but she's running out of places to hide.
He takes her to the grave with him {I'm taking back the life you stole}
And he might be unsure whether he wants to kill her or not, because she makes him lose his fear of falling.

^^ I hope that makes sense but thats how I see it
icyplut007
Killjoy
icyplut007
December 31st, 2008 at 01:01pm
earth2themorgue:
i think its very simple what this song is about: Revenge.

i totally agree.
its the most straightforward revenge song on the album.
and thats why its so amazing.

whats really cool is how in the end he still says 'and then i will be with you, i will be there one last time' because even though the song is about revenge, its also about forgiveness in the end. or maybe 'i hate you for what you did, and will get revenge against you, but i still love you anyway' kind of mixed emotions towards this person.
sweetrevenge1405
Killjoy
sweetrevenge1405
January 11th, 2009 at 04:45pm
philosopher of mcr:
This is one of my favorite songs of theres. i think with these meanings u gotta take into account the story of the demolition lovers and ''the male'' seeking the soles of a thousand evil men to bring back his lover.to me the song is an overview of this story
"Do you remember way back wen we met n i told you this gets harder well it id"refering to his mission to get her back making it harder on him".he then focuses on his enemiesthe evil men he must kill and especialy the ones that killed him in the dessert
"The damage you've inflicted temporary woundsI'm coming back from the dead and I'll take you home with meI'm taking back the life you stole''
Warning them of what his intensions are.He then reminises about his lover"
We never got that far,This helps me to think all through the night Bright lights that, won't kill me now, or tell me how Just you and I, your starless eyes remain''
.he now talks about his enemies the evil men he has to kill and at the same time seek revenge on those who th killed him and his lover in the desert
"I will avenge my ghost with every breath I take I'm coming back from the dead and I'll take you home with me I'm taking back the life you stole This hole that you put me in Wasn't deep enough And I'm climbing out right now You're running out of places to hide from me
''.He finishes by talkin about his lover and how t they will be reunited upon completion of his mission
"If living was the hardest part We'll then one day be together And in the end we'll fall apart Just as the leaves changing colors And then I will be with you I will be there one last time now When you go Just know that I will remember you I lost my fear of falling
I will be with you I will be with you".Tell me what you think.

I would have to mostly agree. I think that this song relates to cemetery drive more then anything. If you take it from the story of the album itself. It is about the boy and his quest to get back his lover, whom has moved on.
But you do make a good point.
sweetrevenge1405
Killjoy
sweetrevenge1405
January 11th, 2009 at 04:45pm
I would also like to add. This is also one of my favored songs.
BloodRogue
Killjoy
BloodRogue
January 13th, 2009 at 09:42am
technicolor.:
i think its talking about how if you end up dying inside, you need bring yourself back to life and get your revenge on those who have hurt you. Those who have hurt you are the self-destructing things you are doing such as self- harm, drinking, drugs.
Tbh, He wrote this song when its nan had just died, And all the others on the alubm. It was a way for him to express his feelings and share them with his fans. By him I mean Gerrard. =D
StandUpEffingTall!
Killjoy
StandUpEffingTall!
January 18th, 2009 at 08:01pm
This is about someone who dies emotionaly or phisicaly and comes back from the dead to get revenge.

Side Note: this is how i feel now, hence my new username.
Raven_Way
Killjoy
Raven_Way
January 25th, 2009 at 08:36am
I think it's about being wronged by someone and then (as Gee is so well know by my friends for) wanting/going though with some form of revenge *evil smile* although you still have feelings for them.
photocopied_dreamx3
Killjoy
photocopied_dreamx3
February 13th, 2009 at 07:14pm
This has currently been my favorite song.

I think it's about being in a destructive relationship.
save-the-wetlands
Killjoy
save-the-wetlands
June 26th, 2009 at 12:07am
I love this song definately one of my faves!