Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
October 23rd, 2007 at 03:03am
Helenasghost, I f*cking love you.

I was actually thinking that song was about WWI, especially the Russian side. Russia is often referred to as Mother Russia, which would explain the title, but also the anger in this song.

The Russians, more even than the French, were wildly unprepared for WWI. They had the worst transport and the most area to cover, as well as being badly armed and badly treated. Many were illiterate farmers from the largely undeveloped, backward agricultural regions, with absolutely no idea what they were getting in to. Also, the conditions were miserable -- bad weather from one end of the thing to the other, no food, poor weaponry (as I mentioned) and all-around bad preparation.

The line about, "right now they're building a coffin your size" would seem to indicate the Russian revolution of 1917, which came on in the third year of the war. "You should have raised a baby girl," though, is ironic (i.e. shooting my theory dead) because the Russians had women's division, including, most notably, the Legion of Death.

But I think, overall, the song is about a man disgusted with war, and with himself, both for what he's become ("they could amputate at once" -- he's badly wounded and hates it) and for what he's done ("there's shit that I've done with this f*ck of a gun" -- he did and saw terrible things in the war). I would agree that this song probably isn't about the Patient, though. I think this is a crew of soldiers he meets in the afterlife, who tell their story to him.

Also, has anyone seen this fantastic video? I don't know who CCUK66 is, but this is a fantastic vid. Though obviously, I can't wait for the official one. Very Happy
mrs_allie_gerard_way
Killjoy
mrs_allie_gerard_way
November 8th, 2007 at 01:28pm
i think its about a guy who didnt treat his mother the way he should have so he tries to make it up by being a hero but that doesnt work because he gets KILLED so his mother is now worried and deppressed and is asking questions.. DUH
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
November 11th, 2007 at 04:06am
mrs_allie_gerard_way:
i think its about a guy who didnt treat his mother the way he should have so he tries to make it up by being a hero but that doesnt work because he gets KILLED so his mother is now worried and deppressed and is asking questions.. DUH

I actually think it's about that, or The Patient and his mom were estranged and he is telling her about the cancer ['i'm writing this letter and wishing you well'] and apologizing for how he treated her and wants her to know that he still loves her. Mr. Green
AuthenticManiac
Killjoy
AuthenticManiac
December 15th, 2007 at 10:29pm
To me It's like a son telling his mom that he's going to war. One part it say "You should've raised a baby girl." and I heard on part say war so its like The Ghost Of You but the point of view is different like a couple of you said.
JaneSaysAddiction
Killjoy
JaneSaysAddiction
December 19th, 2007 at 03:04pm
I think "Mama" is about Gerard not being the perfect son and his Mama wishing that he had been a perfect son. Hence him singing "I should have been a better son"
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
December 26th, 2007 at 07:48am
guys! i dunno if anyone's mentioned Dr Who, but you have to watch this:

Dr Who

MCR completely ripped the "mother" & "gas mask" from Dr Who. That is ingenious to put in the Black Parade. MCR are cultural sponges. The connection!
AbsurdAcademy
Killjoy
AbsurdAcademy
December 31st, 2007 at 06:33am
I always kinda thought it was about a guy leaving home and going out in the world, only to discover it was evil and full of war, and that basically everyone is corrupt, and he himself becomes corrupt, and there is no hope, and everyone has the same fate (they all going to hell) and he's you know telling his mother he wasn't good enough, that he brought his fate on himself.
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
January 4th, 2008 at 01:03pm
A Sharp Life:

I love this song and I see it as a follow-up to The Ghost Of You, only from a different POV.
Heaven-Help-Me
Bleeding on the Floor
Heaven-Help-Me
January 11th, 2008 at 05:49pm
I have always seen this song as a son who is writing to his mother from Hell.

Like, he sees that "we all go to Hell" and other things that happen to escape my mind at the moment.
BringEmmaTheHorizon!
Killjoy
BringEmmaTheHorizon!
January 12th, 2008 at 07:04am
i think the song 'mama' is about war bcos a line in it says 'Well Mother, what the war did to my legs and to my tongue'

also the line 'But there's shit that I've done with this f**k of a gun'

i think the point of the song, although it is sounds cheerful, is trying to make a point that war is a bad thing and it should b ended
xHARDC0RE-CHARLiE
Fabulous Killjoy
xHARDC0RE-CHARLiE
January 14th, 2008 at 03:44pm
As everyone is saying.
I think it's simply about Gerard writing home to his mom from the war.
He's sorry for letting her down, and shows it within the letter.
bitchybmcr
Killjoy
bitchybmcr
January 24th, 2008 at 06:46am
i think its about war too....the guy is away from home and hes writin a letter back home tellin his mother that "we're all full of lies"and that "we all go to hell".. Wink
Im Not Okay!!
Killjoy
Im Not Okay!!
January 25th, 2008 at 01:34pm
I agree with the people that said it might be about war!

[size=55]But there's shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun!
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
February 2nd, 2008 at 12:36pm
It is about war.
He is writing a letter to his mother, saying that he is going to die, possibly go to hell. or saying tht war is like hell.
"Stop asking me questions- i hate to see you cry" -Maybe his mother is asking him "oh why did you betray me" or sumthing like tht.

"When we go dont blame us, We let the fire just bathe us" bombs? Fire? yeah.
"I will not let you go." her memory will stay with him?
"Mama- were all full of lies" the enemiy spies?
"Mama- were meant for the flies. and right now they're building a coffin your size" When the people die in battle, the flies cover their decaying bodies?
"Mother- look at what the war did to my legs and too mi tongue..coddle the infection- they can amputate it once" infection from unsanitary conditions- had to amputate his legs.
"Its really quite pleasant- except for the smell" Dead bodies.

We all carry on (We all carry on)
When our brothers in arms are gone (When our brothers in arms are gone)
So raise your glass high
For tomorrow we die,
And return from the ashes you call. -- they know tht they are going tro die eventually. and letting his mother know tht they are "living life like tht day was their last.

A pretty deep song. thts what the meaning I can make out of it are
Sin Shads
Fabulous Killjoy
Sin Shads
February 2nd, 2008 at 02:22pm
i think its about
how
you're not a good sun
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 2nd, 2008 at 09:21pm
The song has to do with letting your children go off and grow up. It's also about sons in the war which is a big part of growing up. So the song is basically about moms who let there sons go to war. They write them letters about how they miss them and they wish they were home. But the moms need to let them go, even if it means MAKING them leave. "Mama we all go to hell" hell meaning the war. when he says "you made us oh so famous", he's taliking about how your mom always said that they could do anything, they were everything, and they were practically rockstars to them lol. Moms care for you more than anyone. So the song is all about leaving the mom and going into war and moving on.
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 2nd, 2008 at 09:27pm
Oh, to Cyn Cyanide: I see how you could think that, from the line "she said you aint no son of mine". The mom is saying that because she's really trying to push him to go on and live life. That he's no longer living there with her, he has his own life he needs to live, and she can't give him everything n e more. That explains the line "gonna find a place for you, and just you mind your manners when you go" how cute, those moms. The song is very deep, and he does luv his mom very much too, that prob part of why he wrote it.
MindlessRomance
Killjoy
MindlessRomance
February 9th, 2008 at 05:56pm
i think the meaning of the song is gerard is at war and is writing to his mum to say he will die soon and is just telling her what he really thinks of her!
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
February 11th, 2008 at 10:40pm
It is about war.
He is writing a letter to his mother, saying that he is going to die, possibly go to hell. or saying tht war is like hell.
"Stop asking me questions- i hate to see you cry" -Maybe his mother is asking him "oh why did you betray me" or sumthing like tht.

"When we go dont blame us, We let the fire just bathe us" bombs? Fire? yeah.
"I will not let you go." her memory will stay with him?
"Mama- were all full of lies" the enemiy spies?
"Mama- were meant for the flies. and right now they're building a coffin your size" When the people die in battle, the flies cover their decaying bodies?
"Mother- look at what the war did to my legs and too mi tongue..coddle the infection- they can amputate it once" infection from unsanitary conditions- had to amputate his legs.
"Its really quite pleasant- except for the smell" Dead bodies.

We all carry on (We all carry on)
When our brothers in arms are gone (When our brothers in arms are gone)
So raise your glass high
For tomorrow we die,
And return from the ashes you call. -- they know tht they are going tro die eventually. and letting his mother know tht they are "living life like tht day was their last.

A pretty deep song. thts what the meaning I can make out of it .
LivinEmo
Killjoy
LivinEmo
February 19th, 2008 at 09:20am
I think its not being perfect also.
All parents want their kids to be perfect little angels. Now with Gerard and the rest of the band, I really don't think that was ever possible. So he is apoligizing to his mother for all the things he has done in his childhood.
It is also partially about war.
Why else would they put gunfire in the beginning of the song?